PDA

View Full Version : Nomar on first

bigredrudy
11-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I have read where several scouts have suggested that Nomar could win a gold glove if he played first. I watched Nomar last summer and he can still hit. In the event Paulie does not come back, Nomar would easily be my second choice. He could DH, play first and third and shortstop. I think Nomar's lifetime OPS is about .900 which may be slightly higher than Paul's. When Nomar was playing a position other than first, Gload could play there-first I mean. Obviously Nomar would be a defensive up grade over Paul at first base. I honestly believe that Nomar could have a better season than Paul next year. The most important thing about getting Nomar would be that we could take the money that would have gone to Paul and sign our pitching for years beyond 2006 so that we could continue our good play in the years to come-not fold our tent after 2006.

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 08:04 PM
I honestly believe that Nomar could have a better season than Paul next year.

:kukoo:Are u nuts?

MarySwiss
11-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I think not. :o:

Chisox003
11-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I have read where several scouts have suggested that Nomar could win a gold glove if he played first. I watched Nomar last summer and he can still hit. In the event Paulie does not come back, Nomar would easily be my second choice. He could DH, play first and third and shortstop. I think Nomar's lifetime OPS is about .900 which may be slightly higher than Paul's. When Nomar was playing a position other than first, Gload could play there-first I mean. Obviously Nomar would be a defensive up grade over Paul at first base. I honestly believe that Nomar could have a better season than Paul next year. The most important thing about getting Nomar would be that we could take the money that would have gone to Paul and sign our pitching for years beyond 2006 so that we could continue our good play in the years to come-not fold our tent after 2006.
You think Nomar could dig a Juan Uribe shorthop missle like PK did? You do realize how many errors Paulie saved between Crede and Juan last year, correct?

I wouldn't mind seeing Nomar here, but there is absolutely no way I'd want to see him replace Paul Konerko. Hell no, never. That's just ridiculous.

gobears1987
11-28-2005, 08:08 PM
No way. Nomore would drop most of the hard throws from Crede. Not to mention the fact he will pull his groin.

Fenway
11-28-2005, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Nomar here, but there is absolutely no way I'd want to see him replace Paul Konerko. Hell no, never. That's just ridiculous.

In Boston they are whispers he could replace Kevin Millar

Nomar still lives in Boston so

ChiSoxIn06
11-28-2005, 08:09 PM
and what would we do when nomar has another freak injury? im thinking this year he has a shoulder injury...but it cant be a normal injury because none of his are...its got to be something like a torn rotator cuff while stretching in the on deck circle. in other words..no nomar please.

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Hey rudy...

I don't think they like your idea. :redneck

Deuce
11-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Lay off the :bong:, man.

robertks61
11-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Let Mr. Mia Hamm go elsewhere!

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Let Mr. Mia Hamm go elsewhere!

No, we should sign him and petition Brooks Boyer to have a Mia Hamm day at the cell.

Mohoney
11-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I would much rather just take a flier on a guy like Tony Clark to hit lower in the order than spend a big chunk of the money we saved on Thome to get Nomar.

The Deacon
11-28-2005, 08:50 PM

Don't know if he'd be a defensive upgrade but he is a pretty good athlete. I think Nomar, when HEALTHY, is a subperb player. I personally think he'll thrive in a new role and enivorment next year. I'm not arguing he should replace Paulie by ANY means but Nomar can hit. Consider...

162 game average.
.320, 29HRs, 112RBI, 46doubles.

I actually think Nomar has White Sox written all over him. Kenny always signs guys like him. Injury prone, supposed clubhouse cancer, everyone has written him off. If he was in a situation where he could DH p/t and play the field he could thrive. More likely, he'll sign with the Dodgers and get hurt again.

bigfoot
11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
.......a simulated Gold Glove?

DumpJerry
11-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey rudy...

I don't think they like your idea. :redneck
:lynch&mcfail
Hmm...this Rudy guy.....Assistant GM material? What do you think? I like the way his mind works, could fit in with our overall plan for obscurity......

TheDarkGundam
11-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Someone who isn't good enough for either Boston OR the Flubs? He sounds like the perfect fit.

I REALLY don't want to see this guy on the Sox. Please, No mar talk about Nomar. (tee hee good pun...)

bigredrudy
11-28-2005, 09:16 PM
This was supposed to be if we don't sign Paul Konerko-not otherwise. Can you guys read?

nccwsfan
11-28-2005, 09:21 PM
If Konerko doesn't re-sign our 1B will be Jim Thome, unless another 1B is acquired this offseason. Nomar would be a liability at the position and the White Sox could do better than that.

DickAllen72
11-28-2005, 09:56 PM
In Boston they are whispers he could replace Kevin Millar

Nomar still lives in Boston so

Aren't Nomar and the Bosox organization on "the outs"? I thought they parted on bad terms. :?:

bigredrudy
11-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Nomar's lifetime OPS is 911 while Konerko's is .837. If we don't sign Konerko, you guys say we can do better than Nomar, tell me how. And don't tell me Giles.

Taliesinrk
11-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Nomar's lifetime OPS is 911 while Konerko's is .837. If we don't sign Konerko, you guys say we can do better than Nomar, tell me how. And don't tell me Giles.

While I'm not a "rudy basher".. my answer on this one is Giles.

.... Plus Big Frank....

Brian26
11-28-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm not opposed to seeing Nomar on the Sox, but I'd prefer to see him as a DH or spelling Uribe/Crede.

SoxFan64
11-28-2005, 10:20 PM
This is the type of move KW would make. I like it as Plan B.

How many people were in the "sign Dye as a Plan B" last year???

batmanZoSo
11-28-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm not opposed to seeing Nomar on the Sox, but I'd prefer to see him as a DH or spelling Uribe/Crede.

No way in hell I'd put Nomar at short. We'd be paying too much for a high risk guy at a position where we have no problems. I'd be hesitant to put him at third, too. I mean we know we'd be losing glove, but with his health lately there's no guarantee you'd get that much more with his bat than you would with Crede. I'd certainly take Garciaparra if Konerko jets or as a DH. The question is would he? Maybe at first, but I can't see a once superstar shortstop being content with being a DH.

Tragg
11-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Nomar has always reminded me of Roger Dorn: "What do you expect me to do? Dive for it?"

I like his bat (it's not great; it's good, but not great; we need 2 nomars if we can't sign Konerko), but leery of him in the field. He doesn't walk much (Frank's walking is what keeps him so valuable as his batting average plummets) ; his best feature has been hitting doubles, whatever that translates to in the Cell. He's a risk. We already took on a risk.

If we get Nomar, he should be played at 1B and OF and maybe middle infield once a month. I'd give Dye some 1B work in the spring as well; he could be a real good one, who knows? He's gonna be pushed out of RF in another season or 2 anyway.

Chisox003
11-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Great, offensive numbers!

Tell me what happens when Nomar can't scoop, knock down, dig, and do all the things the "average" defender Paul Konerko could do ... Then what?

Oh, oh I know...Dye to 1B, Nomar to RF! Bingo! :rolleyes:

For some reason, that ring we just won with the "defense first" mentality is appealing to me.

soxfan1965
11-28-2005, 11:39 PM
This is a man who saved the life of a woman drowning, a hero. Won't he be a hero for the Sox and save games that are on the line??

Chisox003
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
This is a man who saved the life of a woman drowning, a hero. Won't he be a hero for the Sox and save games that are on the line??
Excellent analogy.

Tell me you were kidding....

Deuce
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
This is a man who saved the life of a woman drowning, a hero. Won't he be a hero for the Sox and save games that are on the line??How do either of these things have anything in common? My dad is a hero, but I don't want him playing first on the White Sox. Lets get a grip here.

California Sox
11-28-2005, 11:46 PM
I know Nomar was a Cub, so we're all supposed to hate him, but the guy's a professional hitter who makes hard contact in the gap. Reminds me of when we got (former ss) Julio Franco to DH in '94. That move worked out pretty well.

And Nomar could fill in at numerous positions to give Ozzie more lineup flexibility. He'd be a decent Plan B if Paulie walks. As a bonus, if he did well for us, it would give Jim Hendry acid reflux.

Banix12
11-28-2005, 11:53 PM
This isn't exactly a great reason for not wanting him here but the only reason I don't want him in Chicago anymore is I can't stand that stupid pre-AB ritual he does with his gloves. Step in the damn batters box already!

Other than that, we are already relying on someone who is a bit older coming off a year of injury in Thome. I would be reluctant to bring another guy on with recent injury troubles. Especially Nomar since it's now been two years in a row that he hasn't been able to stay on the field.

TomBradley72
11-29-2005, 12:11 AM
The reasons I would not want to waste time/money/roster spot on Nomar:

Only TWO healthy seasons(2002,2003) out of the last FIVE (played <80 games in 2001,2004,2005)....we already have enough guys with histories of injury (Dye, Crede, Podsednik, Thome)...this would be a line up waiting to break down.
Serious rumors that he was juiced back when he was putting up the big numbers....hasn't produced in a few years to disprove it.
Has played ZERO games at 1B in his major league career.
Has played 34 games at 3B in his major league career....and for my money didn't look very good trying for the Cubs this year....6 errors in 34 games.
32 years old.
No speed
Other than that....I like it.

Domeshot17
11-29-2005, 04:50 AM
I gotta agree with the consensus here. I would be happier to see Nomar in RF and Dye at first, and I reaaaallllyyyyyy do not want to see Dye anywhere near first base. I like Nomar, I think he could play the 4 days a week super sub role well, But SOMEONE is going to sign him to be a starting short stop or third baseman. The Yankees reportedly want him as their CF. Not at 1b though, he has decent hands, but he's scared of the ball, watch him for 3 games and he ""olays" a ton of balls, scared of the hop. Ontop of that, I think he is a lazy player. Not someone I would want to replace Paulie.

And Whoever brought up the OPS point, keep in mind Nomar's career OPS gets skewed badly from all the 60 game a year seasons. Nomar plays 2 months a year, if one of them is good, he has a super high OPS. Compare Paulies last 2 seasons with Nomars, and its not even close.

Remember last year, when the Cubs were gonna get all those stud OF to replace Sosa, and ended up with Burnitz. Well thats what Nomar should be, Plan 12.

1951Campbell
11-29-2005, 09:17 AM
I have read where several scouts have suggested that Nomar could win a gold glove if he played first. I watched Nomar last summer and he can still hit.

"Thanks, beautiful."

pythons007
11-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Not interested in Nomar at the least. He would push Buerhle's starts to 2 1/2 hours and Conteras' starts to around 5 hours with his stupid crap in the batters box. (Note to Nomar...you're batting gloves can't get any tighter, leave them alone.) He would probably only start 12 games, and his defense sucks. To move him to a position where he has never played and would have to stretch for balls (don't think the groin could take another beating like that again.) wouldn't help his health.

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
The only way I would want Nosemar on the club is if he was a Blum replacement but I would think he might want a little more coin than that.

chisox
11-29-2005, 11:52 AM
no love for that idea rudy.

mdep524
11-29-2005, 11:54 AM
I heard now that the Sox players have all won a championship, KW is worried about the team's hunger to win waning. Word is, he's trying to bring in as many aging stars who haven't won a championship as possible to keep the team focused and create more of a "common cause." So he's looking for the most desperate former superstars. He'll bring in Nomar to play 3B, because Crede's back makes him too big of an injury risk. Then he'll sign Piazza to DH, and trade for Griffey to play CF.

2006 line up:

Podsednik LF
Garciaparra 3B
Griffey CF
Thome 1B
Piazza DH
Dye RF
Iguchi 2B
Pierzynski C
Uribe SS

Now there's a team that'll be motivated to win!

(If it's not obvious, assume teal for that whole post.) :wink:

Flight #24
11-29-2005, 12:00 PM
It all depends on how much you're paying him. As a decent SS, I'd have to think Nomar could make the adjustment to 1B. How different is it really to scoop a low throw from fielding a low hot shot?

The primary reason I prefer Nomar (or Dye) at 1B if Paulie leaves is because it keeps Thome healthier by letting him DH when Frank's not playing. Obviously when Frank's playing he HAS to DH which pushes Thome to 1B. That's not a huge deal because Frank+Thome>>Thome+Paulie. The issue is injuries. Having Nomar as a backup 1B(not to mention a backup to Crede) in event of a THomas/Thome injury is a hell of a lot better than just having Gload.

miker
11-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I honestly believe that Nomar could have a better season than Paul next year.
On the Disabled List perhaps...