PDA

View Full Version : Rowand will be missed more than you think

Rowandws33
11-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Rowands D will be missed...His speed will be missed...How many bases will Thome steal easy way to get into scoring pos....Plus, why is nobody saying this Rowand had the best Avg with runners in scoring pos..Wanna talk playoffs who started that rally in game 2 in the alds hmmmmmmm oooo yeah Rowand with a double down the line...Speed and D never go into slupms guys..Thome has lead the league in k's more than once. Rowands career avg .283 we are losing alot. Rowand is a sure thing and we trade him for a bunch of what if's...I hope i'am wrong but i dont think so..Ginder ball worked power baseball did not so lets go back to power baseball thats a good idea NO...
Peace
Go Sox

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Rowands D will be missed...His speed will be missed...How many bases will Thome steal easy way to get into scoring pos....Plus, why is nobody saying this Rowand had the best Avg with runners in scoring pos..Wanna talk playoffs who started that rally in game 2 in the alds hmmmmmmm oooo yeah Rowand with a double down the line...Speed and D never go into slupms guys..Thome has lead the league in k's more than once. Rowands career avg .283 we are losing alot. Rowand is a sure thing and we trade him for a bunch of what if's...I hope i'am wrong but i dont think so..Ginder ball worked power baseball did not so lets go back to power baseball thats a good idea NO...
Peace
Go Sox

First, welcome to Dubby Es Eye.

Second, Our defense and speed will take a slight hit, but with Frank's injuries and Crazy Carl's inconsistencies we need a bona-fide DH. I think you will find Brian Anderson to be an upgrade from Rowand offensively, but perhaps a slight defensive downgrade.

voodoochile
11-28-2005, 07:02 PM
How many bases will Thome steal? :?:

Boy I hope the answer to that question has a peak value of 1 and only then because the catcher fell over laughing when the batter missed the pitch on a hit and run.

The defense is MUCH easier to replace than you think and individual game performances even out over time. Sure Rowand had his moments, just not enough of them. Thome is clearly the better player and if they do nothing more than run Anderson out there very day, they won't lose much of anything offensively from ARow, IMO. Heck, if Anderson has the worrst year possible, it won't be that big of a deal.

Rowandws33
11-28-2005, 07:10 PM
:angry: Rowands D will be missed...His speed will be missed...How many bases will Thome steal easy way to get into scoring pos....Plus, why is nobody saying this Rowand had the best Avg with runners in scoring pos..Wanna talk playoffs who started that rally in game 2 in the alds hmmmmmmm oooo yeah Rowand with a double down the line...Speed and D never go into slupms guys..Thome has lead the league in k's more than once. Rowands career avg .283 we are losing alot. Rowand is a sure thing and we trade him for a bunch of what if's...I hope i'am wrong but i dont think so..Ginder ball worked power baseball did not so lets go back to power baseball thats a good idea NO...What did Anderson hit last year .175...
Peace
Go Sox

ChiSoxIn06
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
as much as i hate to say this...rowands d was good but it can be replaced...from what ive heard these guys we got in the minors can do a legit job in center and i dont think rowands constant ground balls to 3rd will be missed...so long rowand and good luck..and thanks for the memories.

Scotty347
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
In case you missed the memo, Thome will not be playing CF.

Also did you forget how bad Rowand stunk it up at the plate in the playoffs?

Sometimes you have to let go. Kenny is trying to build another winner, I think he has earned the benefit of the doubt.

SOX ADDICT '73
11-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Someone who joined up in September with the user name "Rowandws33" (and has all of one post) is unhappy about the trade? What a surprise.

Seriously, :welcome:, and relax. Thome is not replacing Aaron in the areas of speed and defense. For that, we hope Brian Anderson can realize just a fraction of his potential (talent-wise, he's got the advantage over Rowand, who just worked harder than everyone else to be above-average). In every other offensive category but speed, Thome (if healthy) is going to be a HUGE upgrade over Carl, Aaron, and (dare I say it) an injured Frank.

BTW, don't consider re-joining with a different user name. Keep yours as a tribute - Aaron Rowand will always be a member of the White Sox as far as I'm concerned.

Rowandws33
11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Rowand post season number ALDS .OBP .455 SLG .600 avg .400
ALCS .OBP .238 SLG. 333 Avg. 167
WS .obp .368 Slg. 353 AVG. .294
pretty good numbers in my book do some research before you shoot off at the mouth.
dont just listen to everybody else...

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 07:26 PM

pretty good numbers in my book do some research before you shoot off at the mouth.

Great, but what did he do offensively in the regular season? I guarantee those numbers wouldn't compare to Thome. I loved Rowand too, but fact of the matter is Anderson has more talent and will be better.

voodoochile
11-28-2005, 07:26 PM

So he had a great ALDS (with what 15 AB?) a horrible ALCS (with what 23 AB?) and a mediocre WS (with what 19 AB?)

Anyone ever teach you about limited sample sizes and what they mean when trying to prove something with statistics?

This does NOTHING to prove your point. Thome is going to put up numbers fairly comparable to the ALDS stats all year long. I take that in a heartbeat...

Deuce
11-28-2005, 07:28 PM
pretty good numbers in my book do some research before you shoot off at the mouth.Capital letters... use them. Not that I think you'll be here for long with that attitude, but it pays to learn sometime.

Deuce

ilsox7
11-28-2005, 07:30 PM
This may be the worst of the several, "I love Aaron Rowand so much I don't care about anything else" threads going.

If you're going to make an argument against the trade (or for it for that matter) put some effort into your thoughts and presentation in a public forum.

samram
11-28-2005, 07:36 PM
:angry: Rowands D will be missed...His speed will be missed...How many bases will Thome steal easy way to get into scoring pos....Plus, why is nobody saying this Rowand had the best Avg with runners in scoring pos..Wanna talk playoffs who started that rally in game 2 in the alds hmmmmmmm oooo yeah Rowand with a double down the line...Speed and D never go into slupms guys..Thome has lead the league in k's more than once. Rowands career avg .283 we are losing alot. Rowand is a sure thing and we trade him for a bunch of what if's...I hope i'am wrong but i dont think so..Ginder ball worked power baseball did not so lets go back to power baseball thats a good idea NO...What did Anderson hit last year .175...
Peace
Go Sox

Rowand stole 16 bases- he's not exactly Carl Crawford. How many homers did Aaron hit? That's an even easier way to get into scoring position.:cool:

Rowandws33
11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
We will see how much you guys love this trade when the season starts.. Stats you want them look at who lead the team with avg with guys in scoring pos.. That is one of the most imporant stats in baseball...like i said before i hope iam wrong but i doubt it... I know more about the Sox than any of you ill bet you anything... All you guys have is what if thome does this or that yeah and what if he plays only 50 game again.. then what

pearso66
11-28-2005, 07:37 PM
This may be the worst of the several, "I love Aaron Rowand so much I don't care about anything else" threads going.

If you're going to make an argument against the trade (or for it for that matter) put some effort into your thoughts and presentation in a public forum.

This guy has no thought on what he writes, or at least what he has written is it. He reposted his first post after a few people replied. Not only that, but he has people agreeing that Aaron was a good player, but merely stating that Thome is better when healthy, and he jumps off the deep end. I don't think he'll be here too long.

ilsox7
11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
This guy has no thought on what he writes, or at least what he has written is it. He reposted his first post after a few people replied. Not only that, but he has people agreeing that Aaron was a good player, but merely stating that Thome is better when healthy, and he jumps off the deep end. I don't think he'll be here too long.

Pretty sure he will be gone ASAP with his last post.

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I know more about the Sox than any of you ill bet you anything...

Say what?!

samram
11-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Pretty sure he will be gone ASAP with his last post.

Yeah, but he knows more about the Sox than any of us- I'll bet you.

pearso66
11-28-2005, 07:41 PM
We will see how much you guys love this trade when the season starts.. Stats you want them look at who lead the team with avg with guys in scoring pos.. That is one of the most imporant stats in baseball...like i said before i hope iam wrong but i doubt it... I know more about the Sox than any of you ill bet you anything... All you guys have is what if thome does this or that yeah and what if he plays only 50 game again.. then what

Do you realize that Jose Valentin led the team in batting average with players in scoring position when he was here? Does that mean everyone here wants him back over Uribe? I doubt it. Why don't you defend Valentin? after all, he was the Maestro of 3 run homers.

Aaron was a good player, but I don't think he'll ever be a great player, he's probably peaked. Thome when healthy is a great player, and Anderson has the chance to be a great player.

You are telling everyone who likes the trade to wait until the season starts, you should take that same advice, maybe Thome will be a stud, and Aaron will slump.

HebrewHammer
11-28-2005, 07:48 PM

White Sox Aaron or a flubs crossdresser? You decide.

Canadian_SoxFan
11-28-2005, 07:48 PM
We will see how much you guys love this trade when the season starts.. Stats you want them look at who lead the team with avg with guys in scoring pos.. That is one of the most imporant stats in baseball...like i said before i hope iam wrong but i doubt it... I know more about the Sox than any of you ill bet you anything... All you guys have is what if thome does this or that yeah and what if he plays only 50 game again.. then whatI was always a big fan of Rowand, but you need to calm down buddy. Thome is a perfect fit for this team, and from what I've heard he is fully recovered from his injury. I think Rowand can be a .300/20/75 type of player consistently who plays gold glove caliber defense. But I am in favour of this trade because not only of getting Thome, but it helps get the younger guys like Anderson, Young, Owens a shot at starting next year, and that's critical in the development of some players.

Banix12
11-28-2005, 08:01 PM
You know what? Speed and Defense can slump, it's just less likely. Just ask Pods who had trouble stealing bases after the break and has played his share of bad defense in his playing career.

SOX ADDICT '73
11-28-2005, 08:07 PM
...do some research before you shoot off at the mouth...... I know more about the Sox than any of you ill bet you anything...
This guy is jumping into the banishment express lane! At first I thought it was a little kid. Now I realize he's just a refugee from some of the other boards, where name-calling and irrationality are the norm. Hope you enjoyed your short stay at WSI, Rowandws33! Maybe the Phillies have a message board that can benefit from your wisdom...

DumpJerry
11-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Didn't some goober (Fisksucks) get banned a couple days ago for, among other offenses, arrogantly proclaiming he knew more about baseball than most of the posters here? http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62761

This person needs to get over himself and stay away from WSJ.

The Deacon
11-28-2005, 08:11 PM

Maybe Rowand signed up to WSI and is venting?

ilsox7
11-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Maybe Rowand signed up to WSI and is venting?

Aaron has class. This guy doesn't.

nccwsfan
11-28-2005, 08:14 PM

Rowand didn't have the highest AVG w/RISP, Konerko did.

Konerko .400
Everett .299
Rowand .290

.400 > .290,

Rowand didn't have the highest OPS w/RISP either, Big Hurt did.

Thomas .913
Crede .863
Everett .846
Konerko .831
Rowand .809

.913 > .809

You mentioned on 3 separate occasions that Rowand had the highest AVG w/RISP, which is one of the most imporant stats in baseball...like i said before i hope iam wrong but i doubt it...

Of course Rowand will be missed, but getting a player like Jim Thome in a trade should be a no brainer.

JB98
11-28-2005, 08:51 PM
You know, I enjoyed watching A-Row play, but the Rowand lovefest is getting out of control around here. I've never seen such an outcry over the departure of an average ballplayer. Geez....

The Deacon
11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
You know, I enjoyed watching A-Row play, but the Rowand lovefest is getting out of control around here. I've never seen such an outcry over the departure of an average ballplayer. Geez....

I second that motion.

voodoochile
11-28-2005, 08:58 PM

You will rue (Row?) the day you traded the worlds greatest CF. Rue do you hear me? Roooooooooow...:tongue:

kevin57
11-28-2005, 08:59 PM
First of all :welcome:

I disagree with your post. I think that the Thome-Rowand trade was a sensible one; that is, one that will improve our team overall.

I say give the new poster some slack, yes, because he's new, but also a lot of us appreciated Rowand for the heart he brought to this effort. I've said often in my posts that while my head agrees with the trade, ARow will be in my heart...and I suspect a lot of other fans' hearts.

HotelWhiteSox
11-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Peace
Go Sox

How is Rowand a sure thing? I liked his attitude, but come on, the offensive numbers went wayyy down (in a year when any offense contributions didn't hurt. A lot of 'if's in my book for this year) and the baserunning blunders went up. The defensive was good, but I was at a game near the end of the year where he made two huge mistakes that would've cost the Sox the game if his teammates hadn't picked him up. He was horrible for at least a month, where he wouldn't have been able to make contact with a beach ball. His defense was good, but it can be replaced. The Sox can't trade free agents, and Rowand was obviously the most likely candidate to be traded (especially when factoring in the numbers and the OF talent the Sox have), I would much rather see him go than any of the starting pitchers. When both the offense and defense can be replaced within the organization and then you upgrade at another position with the possibility of MVP type numbers and a good chance of improving the numbers of the player that used to have that position, then this is a no brainer for me. One thing I notice about my fellow Sox fans is that they are afraid of change. It's funny though, most of these people are the same that were screaming for Griffey at the break, and would've been sad about the players that were traded away.

Conclusion, we all liked Rowand and his attitude, and big him farewell and good luck, but most of us who like the trade realize he was replaceable, and many of the people who don't like the trade don't agree with the prospects given up more than Rowand.

santo=dorf
11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
*paging Randar68*

Rowandws33
11-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Like i said i hope iam wrong and we win it all again next year.. here are Rowands stats to show i was right about with Risp though you all should know since i was told i was wrong... I just not as willing to give up Rowand for a guy who had very bad back problems last year and could do the same this year... I'am not bashing your guys opinion you guys could be right. I could be wrong and i will be the first guy to say i was...just wanted to give my though did not know it was a crime to go against the crowd..http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6742/situational

SOX ADDICT '73
11-28-2005, 10:03 PM
...did not know it was a crime to go against the crowd...
*sigh*
Going against the crowd is not where you went wrong. If you'd take just a moment and peruse these boards, you'll find there are many members (not me) who agree with your basic point. But when, in your 2nd post, you accuse people of "shooting off their mouths", and in your 3rd post claim to "know more about the Sox than the rest of us", it tends to get our hackles raised. Learn to play well with others, and you'll enjoy yourself here - you can even disagree with the popular opinion all you like! :cool:

Jjav829
11-28-2005, 10:06 PM

Nuh-uh! I know morer than you!

There's only one way to solve this: Trivia. I can name all of the Sox starters! Can you?

:?::rolleyes:

Tragg
11-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Everybody has an opinion. Don't take it so personally and enjoy the board and the varied opinions (and ignore those who may attack you a bit harshly - everybody gets called a moron once in a while - let it pass). Just a suggestion.

The first post I ever made (actually it was on the precursor to this board) I made a post that Royce Clayton was the worst player in the majors (this was in April of 2001 I think) and Kenny was a moron for trading for him. I had 50 replies calling me an idiot. Ha!

Re the trade, in a way it's a risk: Thome was injured last year, and he wouldn't be the first player to decline at 35. But, I get the feeling (just my feeling) that Kenny is NOT confident in signing Konerko; not replacing Konerko's power is even a GREATER risk than replacing it with Thome.
Also, we have depth in the minors at Rowand's position.

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 10:10 PM

I know how to type a sentence more grammatically correct than you. I'll bet you anything! :tongue:

santo=dorf
11-28-2005, 10:13 PM
I know how to type a sentence more grammatically correct than you. I'll bet you anything! :tongue:

I'm better at using the quote button and closing tags. :cool:

EDIT: You fixed it.

JorgeFabregas
11-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Thome's career OPS with RISP is .959. Sure, Rowand was a great centerfielder, but don't kid yourself that his offensive capabilities rank with Thome's. There is some confusion regarding this grinderball stuff...in order to have great pitching, speed, and defense you don't also need a mediocre offense.

Rowandws33
11-28-2005, 10:44 PM
sorry i got a little testy just have a lot of passion for the way Rowand plays and the Sox. I though the core of the team could do it again...sorry for getting little emotion guys. As long as the Sox win that's the important thing in the end..

Peace, Go Sox

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 10:57 PM
sorry i got a little testy just have a lot of passion for the way Rowand plays and the Sox. I though the core of the team could do it again...sorry for getting little emotion guys. As long as the Sox win that's the important thing in the end..

Peace, Go Sox

It's cool. I understand how you feel. Rowand was my favorite (I got a game used craked bat of his that he autographed), but this trade really was for the better of the team. Hell, Aaron got traded for a future HOF'er. That's a pretty big compliment. For now, I'm looking at going to Clearwater in March to see the Phillies ST and May 16-18 I'll be at Miller Park with my Rowand jersey on.

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 10:58 PM
It's cool. I understand how you feel. Rowand was my favorite (I got a game used craked bat of his that he autographed), but this trade really was for the better of the team. Hell, Aaron got traded for a future HOF'er. That's a pretty big compliment. For now, I'm looking at going to Clearwater in March to see the Phillies ST and May 16-18 I'll be at Miller Park with my Rowand jersey on.

Can I come too and wear my Carlos Lee jersey?

KRS1
11-28-2005, 11:00 PM
I like Aaron as much as the next guy, but here's 3 things I can guarentee he wont be missed for.
1.His GIDPs
2.His average at best speed which is easy to replace.
3.His flailing at every breakingball low in the zone, I mean any change-up low and outside was basically an automatic swing and miss.

Randar68
11-28-2005, 11:15 PM
I like Aaron as much as the next guy, but here's 3 things I can guarentee he wont be missed for.
1.His GIDPs
2.His average at best speed which is easy to replace.
3.His flailing at every breakingball low in the zone, I mean any change-up low and outside was basically an automatic swing and miss.

You forgot to include some mention of the number of balls that fall in front of him that most CF'ers would catch or the routes he takes that causes hard but makeable catches into circus adventure wall-clanging catches... :D:

Tragg
11-28-2005, 11:26 PM
You forgot to include some mention of the number of balls that fall in front of him that most CF'ers would catch or the routes he takes that causes hard but makeable catches into circus adventure wall-clanging catches... :D:
9th inning game 4, WS, e.g. I always thought he played real deep.

Rowand's rep of defensive greatness is from his Yankee Stadium series last August. No one noticed him before then. Nevertheless,he's an excellent defender, we'll miss him, although I'm excited about the rookie we'll have out there. Put him in the 9 hole and leave him alone for 3-4 months (at least). .

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Can I come too and wear my Carlos Lee jersey?

Geesh, I suppose. But I am not changing your diaper. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
11-29-2005, 12:01 AM
I am not trying to bash on Rowand a great guy and a good player but like Phil Rogers said today on Chicago Tribune Live! his offensive numbers were dropping and he had a bad post season with more GIDP then RBI's. Rogers said if Rowand had a good post season it may have made the Sox think twice about dealing him. And again Chuck Garfein's comment about what Hahn told him about the Sox CF job along with Rogers' comments on a potential Marlins deal make me think this roster is far from being set for 2006.

Lip

Tragg
11-29-2005, 07:57 AM
And again Chuck Garfein's comment about what Hahn told him about the Sox CF job along with Rogers' comments on a potential Marlins deal make me think this roster is far from being set for 2006.

Lip That's scary, because I know what a "potential Marlins deal" means, and that will set us back to c. 2002 and signficantly increase the liklihood that the title of this thread comes true. Thank you for beating the Cubs, but 2003 was 3 seasons ago and .500 seasons were 1 and 2 seasons ago. Maybe as a substitution for Pods in left - that might be interesting.

PaulDrake
11-29-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't claim to know more than any of you about anything. In fact I have no idea what the "potential Marlins deal" is. Anyone want to clue me in? As far as this topic goes I'm with the Rowand fan minus the attitude. I don't think it's a Rowand love fest, closer to a Rowand bash fest. My intuition tells me that by the end of the year Sox management was down on him and found him the most expendable player. I think he'll be missed, his defense took some unfair hits here, and I'm concerned about Thome's health. It's my opinion that one dimensional players like Thome are very susceptible to falling off a cliff production wise. Now can someone fill me in about the Marlins trade?

Randar68
11-29-2005, 10:40 AM
I don't claim to know more than any of you about anything. In fact I have no idea what the "potential Marlins deal" is. Anyone want to clue me in? As far as this topic goes I'm with the Rowand fan minus the attitude. I don't think it's a Rowand love fest, closer to a Rowand bash fest. My intuition tells me that by the end of the year Sox management was down on him and found him the most expendable player. I think he'll be missed, his defense took some unfair hits here, and I'm concerned about Thome's health. It's my opinion that one dimensional players like Thome are very susceptible to falling off a cliff production wise. Now can someone fill me in about the Marlins trade?

Unfair criticism? Hell, most people turn a blind eye to deficiencies around here, refusing to be objective.

Next time a "one dimensional player" not only hits 40+ HR's but takes 100+ walks, let me know. Konerko is the epitome of "one-dimensional", yet we'll be paying him 12-13 million a year versus Thome's ~7 million a year.

Then again, current players or fan favorites are immune to criticism... new guys or other players, they just suck, are overvalued, and one-dimensional by default, right?

Frater Perdurabo
11-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Then again, current players or fan favorites are immune to criticism... new guys or other players, they just suck, are overvalued, and one-dimensional by default, right?

Especially Jermaine Dye. What a worthless, CHEAP, TIMID and STUPID, one-dimensional free agent signing he was to replace future HOF-ers like Maggs and Lee!

:rolleyes:

NardiWasHere
11-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Next time a "one dimensional player" not only hits 40+ HR's but takes 100+ walks, let me know.

amen

PaulDrake
11-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Unfair criticism? Hell, most people turn a blind eye to deficiencies around here, refusing to be objective.

Next time a "one dimensional player" not only hits 40+ HR's but takes 100+ walks, let me know. Konerko is the epitome of "one-dimensional", yet we'll be paying him 12-13 million a year versus Thome's ~7 million a year.

Then again, current players or fan favorites are immune to criticism... new guys or other players, they just suck, are overvalued, and one-dimensional by default, right? You're way too sensitive for someone who's generally held in high esteem. You weren't singled out by me, Rowand was critiqued by many posters. I don't assume we'll get the same production out of Thome that he's shown in the past. I never said that Rowand or anyone else is immune to criticism. Not even you. Not even me. Just don't twist my words to the extreme, not everyone can agree with you 100%.

Randar68
11-29-2005, 01:49 PM
You're way too sensitive for someone who's generally held in high esteem. You weren't singled out by me, Rowand was critiqued by many posters. I don't assume we'll get the same production out of Thome that he's shown in the past. I never said that Rowand or anyone else is immune to criticism. Not even you. Not even me. Just don't twist my words to the extreme, not everyone can agree with you 100%.

The problem is there are about 5 people who have openly criticized Rowand in the past, obviously I have been the most vocal. That being said, I don't think I've ever been "unfair" to him.

People trot around expecting Rowand to return to 2004 and Konerko to never have a repeat of the various stinker half-seasons of 2003 season he's had, etc etc etc...

But, we bring up Thome or Giles, and they're suddenly unlikely to ever come close to their career numbers. It's a repeating theme around here. "Group think", and that group think tends to be of the bomb-shelter variety who hate to read anything critical of any aspect of any current player, particularly fan favorites like Konerko and Rowand.

Baby Fisk
11-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Geesh, I suppose. But I am not changing your diaper. :tongue:
She ain't kidding. I had to do it all by myself... :redface:

Palehose13
11-29-2005, 02:37 PM
She ain't kidding. I had to do it all by myself... :redface:

:roflmao:

Frater Perdurabo
11-29-2005, 05:01 PM
The problem is there are about 5 people who have openly criticized Rowand in the past, obviously I have been the most vocal. That being said, I don't think I've ever been "unfair" to him.

People trot around expecting Rowand to return to 2004 and Konerko to never have a repeat of the various stinker half-seasons of 2003 season he's had, etc etc etc...

But, we bring up Thome or Giles, and they're suddenly unlikely to ever come close to their career numbers. It's a repeating theme around here. "Group think", and that group think tends to be of the bomb-shelter variety who hate to read anything critical of any aspect of any current player, particularly fan favorites like Konerko and Rowand.

Amen.

skobabe8
11-29-2005, 06:58 PM
*sigh*
Going against the crowd is not where you went wrong. If you'd take just a moment and peruse these boards, you'll find there are many members (not me) who agree with your basic point. But when, in your 2nd post, you accuse people of "shooting off their mouths", and in your 3rd post claim to "know more about the Sox than the rest of us", it tends to get our hackles raised. Learn to play well with others, and you'll enjoy yourself here - you can even disagree with the popular opinion all you like! :cool:

Typing complete sentences wouldn't hurt either.

nccwsfan
11-29-2005, 07:36 PM

I don't know if that's necessarily the case for everyone Randar. Many people are on record saying that Thome is going to thrive for the next several years and that we got the better end of that trade. Sure there are some Rowand backers, but there should be no doubt that Thome's going to perform very well in Chicago.

My only problem with Giles vs. Konerko is age factor. I choose to believe that Konerko is currently in his prime and will continue to put up 04', 05' numbers for the next 4-5 years, and IMO it's better to pay a 29 year old big $$ over 4-5 years instead of a 35 year old (he'll be 35 on Opening Day). You've convinced me, Giles has put up better numbers, but he won't be doing so in 2-3-4 years....again JMO and always open to debate.

Here's to looking forward to watching Thome crush balls out of USCF and hope that we get a solid player to complement him, whether it's PK, Giles, or someone else...