11-28-2005, 02:56 PM
:o: They finally gave up?

batmanZoSo
11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Clouds are pretty.

FloridaSox
11-28-2005, 03:13 PM
:o: They finally gave up?

"...the trade of Aaron Rowand for Jim Thome is as bold a decision as any general manager of a championship team has made in years. Beyond merely being bold, though, it's the right decision. Kenny Williams has shown that he's not going to get caught up in the hype of what the 2005 teams was or attached to the players who added a championship to his resume. That's the mark of a top-tier general manager, and it shows that Williams has developed into just that."

Flight #24
11-28-2005, 03:13 PM
..so says Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4624

For those of us not subsidizing their lifestyles, any quotes (not the whole article, for sure - but maybe the Sox portion?).

Edit: beat me to it, FLASox! Also, may want to merge this with the BP request thread in WTS.

wdelaney72
11-28-2005, 03:22 PM
The 2005 World Series championship makes KW a top-tier GM, not the Thome for Rowand trade.

fusillirob1983
11-28-2005, 03:46 PM
He probably likes the trade because Thome hits home runs.

Lip Man 1
11-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Screw BP and Sheehan.

Lip

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Screw BP and Sheehan.

Lip

That may be true, but Kenny is "the man". :cool:

SouthSideHitman
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
He probably likes the trade because Thome hits home runs.

There are worse reasons to trade for a first baseman.

Tekijawa
11-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Just a little Clip from Rotoworld... Maybe this contributed to Kenny's Final Decision on Aaron:

Jerry Owens went 2-for-4 with a homer Sunday for La Guaira of the VWL.
It was the first homer for Owens, who had two for Double-A Birmingham last season. Owens, who could compete for a job in the White Sox outfield with Aaron Rowand gone, is batting .386/.453/.479 with 10 steals in 140 AB. Nov. 28 - 2:35

fusillirob1983
11-28-2005, 05:44 PM
There are worse reasons to trade for a first baseman.

I'm not disagreeing with the trade, I'm just making fun of the fact that BP loves home runs and on-base percentage.

Lip Man 1
11-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Interesting comment from Chuck Garfein of Comcast Sports Chicago tonight. He said he asked Rick Hahn if Brian Anderson now becomes the Sox starting center fielder. Hahn's answer:

"For now. You just never know."

Garfein's conclusion was that the Sox have something breweing and it probably involves Juan Pierre. (A sentiment also echoed today by Phil Rogers on Chicago Tribune Live! His rational was that the Sox have four quality minor league outfield prospects which is exactly what the Marlins are looking for. i.e. cheap...)

Lip

Corlose 15
11-29-2005, 12:04 AM
None of which I would trade for Juan Pierre.

ilsox7
11-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Say it ain't so, Joe!

My spreadsheet says to take the inverse of everything BP says to get a correct answer. So according to my formula, KW is a bottom tier GM. Therefore, BP must be in error b/c there is no other explanation to my spreadsheet giving me the wrong answer. After all, everything can be explained by my formula:

Truth = -(BP)

nodiggity59
11-29-2005, 01:31 AM
I'd love Pierre - as a replacement for Pods. I don't want them on the same team. And it's probably too risky to replace Pierre w/ Pods anyway b/c of $ and trading chips. Though Kenny may know something we don't about Pods' leg health.

NWSox
11-29-2005, 02:15 AM
Sheehan writes as if he has been promoting KW all along. At least acknowledge that you were wrong about KW and then you can jump on the bandwagon.

Theanticub
11-29-2005, 02:25 AM
Clouds are pretty.

I like pie.

caulfield12
11-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Just a little Clip from Rotoworld... Maybe this contributed to Kenny's Final Decision on Aaron:

Jerry Owens went 2-for-4 with a homer Sunday for La Guaira of the VWL.
It was the first homer for Owens, who had two for Double-A Birmingham last season. Owens, who could compete for a job in the White Sox outfield with Aaron Rowand gone, is batting .386/.453/.479 with 10 steals in 140 AB. Nov. 28 - 2:35

As has been speculated, I really think the Phillies wanted Anderson over Rowand, because he has a much higher upside and they would control his rights for six seasons....OTOH, how many Sox prospects, especially pitchers, have we said that about?

Owens wasnīt even on the radar screens one year ago...and he has had to prove himself every step of the way because of his late start in baseball and football background, Weinke, Booty, Brian West, Borchard, etc.

Over a full season, that would be 40-50 steals. However, this is the Venezuelan Winter League...it would be interesting to note how many stolen bases Willie Harris would have in that league, versus how many he would have playing everyday for the Sox at the MLB level.

Maybe Owens is just perfecting his technique...I havenīt seen him enough personally to know where he is developmentally. Obviously, those numbers look great...but many here donīt put any credence in numbers in Winter or Fall Leagues.

wdelaney72
11-29-2005, 09:44 AM
As has been speculated, I really think the Phillies wanted Anderson over Rowand, because he has a much higher upside and they would control his rights for six seasons....

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Phillies deal Rowand to the Yankees.

FloridaSox
11-29-2005, 05:59 PM
The 2005 World Series championship makes KW a top-tier GM, not the Thome for Rowand trade.

And thus, every World Series champion had a top tier GM. Want me to give you a list of some World Series winners who GM's wre anything but top-tier? Let's start with Joe Garogiola of the 2001 World Series champs Diamondbacks.