PDA

View Full Version : Just curious if anyone's read the BP trade review?

Flight #24
11-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Just curious. I refuse to pay them, but I have to admit I'm curious to see how they characterize one of their favorite whipping boys (KW), trading a very non-BP guy in Rowand for a more typical BP guy in Thome.

nccwsfan
11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Just curious. I refuse to pay them, but I have to admit I'm curious to see how they characterize one of their favorite whipping boys (KW), trading a very non-BP guy in Rowand for a more typical BP guy in Thome.

Go to the Roadhouse and look up the 'mediot Dayn Perry' thread. There's a link to a story by him that covers this...

Flight #24
11-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Different guy, and in general, while BP is as biased as anyone, they at least put forth more reasoned arguments than the Perry's/Moronottis of the world.

infohawk
11-28-2005, 04:37 PM
I read it. The impression I got was that the author was being extremely generous in his praise of KW for the deal (and other deals) because: 1) KW deserves it; and 2) the author was compensating for being so critical of KW in the past.

Bottom line is that the author believes that it was a great trade for both parties. He was very complimentary of KW and clearly thinks he is one of the best GMs in the game. He thinks KW has really grown and evolved into the position.

kittle42
11-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Go see how they praise Billy Beane for the Loaiza signing if it happens.

Tragg
11-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I bought a 1 month subscription to watch them eat some WS crow. Unfortunately, I forgot to terminate it (it automatically renews) and now I have it for 2 months.
They said that the Phillies got more than they should have expected for Thome. Translation: Sox overpaid.
But he didn't say that directly because it would have detracted from the rest of his comments which can be summarized in one sentence:"I think the trade of Aaron Rowand for Jim Thome is as bold a decision as any general manager of a championship team has made in years."
He said Williams recognized that the team was defense, pitching and a passable offense with poor OBP and Lefty hitting; so he tried to improve it. He also implied in the article that the Sox aren't going to sign Konerko. (that's sort have been my thought as well - just a feeling).

Will Carrol also wrote an article speculating on what's next. He thinks the Sox will let Konerko walk, sign Frank and wait until "things shake out" to improve the bench.

caulfield12
11-29-2005, 06:48 PM
I bought a 1 month subscription to watch them eat some WS crow. Unfortunately, I forgot to terminate it (it automatically renews) and now I have it for 2 months.
They said that the Phillies got more than they should have expected for Thome. Translation: Sox overpaid.
But he didn't say that directly because it would have detracted from the rest of his comments which can be summarized in one sentence:"I think the trade of Aaron Rowand for Jim Thome is as bold a decision as any general manager of a championship team has made in years."
He said Williams recognized that the team was defense, pitching and a passable offense with poor OBP and Lefty hitting; so he tried to improve it. He also implied in the article that the Sox aren't going to sign Konerko. (that's sort have been my thought as well - just a feeling).

Will Carrol also wrote an article speculating on what's next. He thinks the Sox will let Konerko walk, sign Frank and wait until "things shake out" to improve the bench.

The overpaid part has to refer to the two minor league lefties and not Rowand, as the Sox were probably happier to clear Rowand´s contract and get Anderson a chance to show what he could do. How you can say someone overpaid with prospects before they´ve even pitched in the majors is a little ludicrous.

CluelessJoe1919
11-30-2005, 01:28 AM
The overpaid part has to refer to the two minor league lefties and not Rowand, as the Sox were probably happier to clear Rowand´s contract and get Anderson a chance to show what he could do. How you can say someone overpaid with prospects before they´ve even pitched in the majors is a little ludicrous.
I think you're right on the money!
The way people are talking about the two minor league pitchers, it's like Rowand was a throw-in.
I also think the Sox were happy to get out of paying him the remainder of his contract.