PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza close to signing

Whitesox4ever
11-28-2005, 01:39 PM
According to foxsports Loaiza is close to signing a 3 year deal for 22 M with the Oakland A's

Mickster
11-28-2005, 01:40 PM
According to foxsports Loaiza is close to signing a 3 year deal for 22 M with the Oakland A's

What's the score?

Baby Fisk
11-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Talking Baseball? :?:

Chicken Dinner
11-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Finally, maybe we can win in Oakland.

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Talking baseball?

Whitesox4ever
11-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Maybe the A's are close to trading Barry Zito

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Talking Baseball? :?:

Talking baseball?

You bet. I'm all over it. :cool:

Patience gentlemen, I'm trying to teach America's youth in between reading threads. It would just be nice if they would put forth a little effort. And the Scopes trial is damn interesting!

DaleJRFan
11-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Man, that's a lot of cizzash for a career .500 pitcher. Though, he is durable and showed signs of 2003 last season...

DaleJRFan
11-28-2005, 02:36 PM
according to MLB.com, Loaiza and the Nationals have a mutual option for 2006. Did the Nats decline the option? I had heard they offered him a 3 year, 21 million dollar extension. I'm confused, as usual...

KRS1
11-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Pitching for the Nats last year was def. a great career move for him, seeing how it is damn near impossible to go yard there it should automatically bring one's ERA down a point. 21 for 3 is just a lot for guy who got blasted just a season ago.

mjmcend
11-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Per Rotoworld:

The A's are close to signing free agent Esteban Loaiza to a three-year contract for slightly more than $21 million, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
Perhaps increasing the chances of a Barry Zito deal. Loaiza would join a rotation that includes Zito, Rich Harden, Danny Haren and Joe Blanton, leaving no room for Kirk Saarloos or Joe Kennedy. One of the two lefties almost certainly would go. Loaiza's mediocre numbers outside of RFK Stadium last season give us pause, but compared to what some of the other free-agent starters could get, $7 million per year might not be so bad. At least he's a good bet to stay healthy. Nov. 28 - 1:19 pm et

Deuce
11-28-2005, 02:56 PM
according to MLB.com, Loaiza and the Nationals have a mutual option for 2006. Did the Nats decline the option? I had heard they offered him a 3 year, 21 million dollar extension. I'm confused, as usual...Loaiza declined the mutual option.

wilburaga
11-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm glad to see Esteban finally cash in. He was certainly a bargain for the Sox.

W

JUribe1989
11-28-2005, 04:46 PM
I love Esteban, good luck in Oakland!

Flight #24
11-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Interesting, also because the A's forfeit their first round pick, IIRC to sign Esteban. Seem un Beane-like, maybe he's feeling some pressure to have his philosophy actually accomplish something of significance.

JUribe1989
11-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Could Frank and Esteban both end up on the A's? 2 of my all time favorite White Sox? That would be very interesting.

GoGoSoxReborn
11-28-2005, 08:34 PM
You should never mention Frank and Loaiza in the same breath when reffering to your all-time favorite sox

TDog
11-28-2005, 08:42 PM
You should never mention Frank and Loaiza in the same breath when reffering to your all-time favorite sox

I don't know. I always had the feeling a home run could be imminent when either were playing for the Sox.

buehrle4cy05
11-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't know. I always had the feeling a home run could be imminent when either were playing for the Sox.

Eh...would have been funnier if Esteban wasn't so good in 2003. Try this one:

Bobby Howry and Frank Thomas. I always had the feeling a home run could be imminent when either were playing for the Sox.

Tragg
11-29-2005, 12:30 AM
I wish Esteban well. He pitched well for us, and he enabled us to get our September/October ace last season. The As make me physically ill, but I wish him good luck.

StillMissOzzie
11-29-2005, 12:33 AM
And if Loaiza is worth $7M/year, what's Garland gonna ask for in arbitration?

SMO
:?:

mike squires
11-29-2005, 12:40 AM
When are teams going to learn? Paying big bucks for semi to long term deals is not the answer...Sosa, ARod and a host of others.

MHOUSE
11-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Considering he might only have to be a #3 starter at most might take some pressure off and let him pitch his own game. He looked good for the Nats last year and after 21 wins in 2003 everyone was expecting big from him here, he flopped, went to a big stage in NY, flopped, and then found a nice gig with the Nats. No reason he can't be a 12-8 pitcher there. For what other .500 career pitchers have been getting (Pavano, soon-to-be Burnett) it seems like a bargain.

Zito
Harden
Loaiza
Haren (gonna be a STUD!)
Blanton

Looking good for the As so far.

Chisox003
11-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Is Loaiza and this contract really "Moneyball" style?

Not that I care, and I wish Zesty Esty the best of luck, but I'd love to see this blow up...

gobears1987
11-29-2005, 12:46 PM
I think Billy Beane is finally realizing that Moneyball just doesn't work.

DaleJRFan
11-29-2005, 01:41 PM
"With Barry, Esteban, Rich, Danny and Joe, we have one of the best, if not the best, starting rotations in the American League."
-- Billy Beane

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/pressbox/photos/headshots_players_coaches/112653_90x135.jpg
I beg to differ.

Chisox003
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
"With Barry, Esteban, Rich, Danny and Joe, we have one of the best, if not the best, starting rotations in the American League."
-- Billy Beane
:burly :contreras: :garcia: :jon
*AHEM*

MHOUSE
11-29-2005, 02:33 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_435221.jpg
"Hey guys, wait up!"

WestSideWhiteSox
11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
I'd be shocked if the A's now kept Zito. My guess is he'll wind up in his native San Diego, reunited with former batterymate Ramon Hernandez.

antitwins13
11-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Zito
Harden
Loaiza
Haren (gonna be a STUD!)
Blanton

Looking good for the As so far.

Kirk Sarloose would start over Blanton.

Chisox003
11-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Kirk Sarloose would start over Blanton.
Absolutely not.

Do you realize how good Blanton was the last 2+ months of the season?

Look it up. He's for real.

santo=dorf
11-29-2005, 10:45 PM
I'd be shocked if the A's now kept Zito. My guess is he'll wind up in his native San Diego, reunited with former batterymate Ramon Hernandez.

who says Hernandez will be playing for SD? He's a free agent and they have Olivo too.:tongue:

buehrle4cy05
11-29-2005, 11:17 PM
What does this mean for Meyer, the guy they got in the Hudson deal last year? Is he still a year or two away, or is he a bust?

MHOUSE
11-30-2005, 12:42 AM
What does this mean for Meyer, the guy they got in the Hudson deal last year? Is he still a year or two away, or is he a bust?

According to ESPN he didn't pitch for the MLB team last year. Pitched in two games in relief for the Braves in '04.

AAA Stats for Meyer (Sacramento) 2005:2-8 5.36 ERA
19G (17GS) 89IP 101H 15HR 43BB 63K .286BAA

SoxFan76
11-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Absolutely not.

Do you realize how good Blanton was the last 2+ months of the season?

Look it up. He's for real.

You forgot who posted that. I don't really take anything antitwins says seriously.

Jerome
11-30-2005, 09:22 AM
I guess this means that Zito, in the last year of his contract, will be traded in a similar fashion to Mulder and Hudson.

Flight #24
11-30-2005, 10:14 AM
I guess this means that Zito, in the last year of his contract, will be traded in a similar fashion to Mulder and Hudson.

well, they're basically 1-2 in those type of deals, with Meyer IIRC having arm/shoudler problems and maybe even surgery in pretty much a wasted year, but Haren looking good. Which is yet another exhibit as to why prospects are just that regardless of how highly touted they are.

But to me this signals 2 things: 1)Beane's getting desperate and 2)Zito's definitely on the way out. Which means that once again the A's will probably be good, but just not good enough. And watch for a decline from E-Lo, as he's returning to the AL with the deeper lineups and back to a league that's a year away from having figured him out with the cutter.

soxfanreggie
11-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Beane will likely trade Zito for a MLB pitcher and a few prospects, unless part of Macha coming back is that they increase payroll some...

Jerome
11-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Now that I think about it, Zito may not be traded. Think about this. Zito-Harden-Haren-Blanton-Loaiza. That is a good rotation.

It puts Kirk Sarloos, who was a #5 starter into the bullpen (he was a closer in college). The A's lose a draft pick with this signing, maybe they will hang on to Zito for one more year, reap the benefits of that solid staff and let him walk next year, adding a draft pick when they lose Zito. Just a thought.

Ventura Fan 23
11-30-2005, 06:40 PM
What a wierd, weird signing. The so called "money starved" A's generously pay Esteban 7 million a year? I'd better not hear them bitch about lack of payroll ever again, that's good money they could have spent on more immediate needs.

Jjav829
12-02-2005, 02:05 AM
-- Billy Beane
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/pressbox/photos/headshots_players_coaches/112653_90x135.jpg
I beg to differ.

Well Mark, Jon, Freddy, Jose and Brandon beg to differ. :rolleyes: Did he really refer to them all by first name?

What a weird signing. Why not take that money plus a couple million more and wrap up Zito long-term?

The A's have a pretty damn good rotation as is, but I think Beane will trade Zito. A Zito for Abreu deal makes sense for both teams as long as they could make the money work. That would give the A's a pretty scary lineup.

Kotsay
Kendall
Abreu
Chavez
Crosby
Johnson
Payton
Swisher
Scutaro

Their pitching would still be good with Harden, Loaiza, Haren, Blanton and Saarloos/Meyer/Kennedy/Cruz. They have a ton of good arms for their pen.

Beane is actually in a good position to make something happen here. I'm not exactly a fan of his, but I'm very interested to see what he does. He has a chance to make the A's into one of the best teams in baseball.

Jerome
12-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Well Mark, Jon, Freddy, Jose and Brandon beg to differ. :rolleyes: Did he really refer to them all by first name?

What a weird signing. Why not take that money plus a couple million more and wrap up Zito long-term?

The A's have a pretty damn good rotation as is, but I think Beane will trade Zito. A Zito for Abreu deal makes sense for both teams as long as they could make the money work. That would give the A's a pretty scary lineup.

Kotsay
Kendall
Abreu
Chavez
Crosby
Johnson
Payton
Swisher
Scutaro

Their pitching would still be good with Harden, Loaiza, Haren, Blanton and Saarloos/Meyer/Kennedy/Cruz. They have a ton of good arms for their pen.

Beane is actually in a good position to make something happen here. I'm not exactly a fan of his, but I'm very interested to see what he does. He has a chance to make the A's into one of the best teams in baseball.

I haven't heard about the potential Abreu trade yet but the A's would be crazy not to do it. Their offense last year wasted a lot of good pitching performances. Sarloos is no slouch as the fifth starter, offense is a serious concern for the A's.

Jjav829
12-02-2005, 09:50 AM
I haven't heard about the potential Abreu trade yet but the A's would be crazy not to do it. Their offense last year wasted a lot of good pitching performances. Sarloos is no slouch as the fifth starter, offense is a serious concern for the A's.

To clarify, that wasn't a rumor I was reporting. I was simply saying that based on Abreu's availability for a frontline starter in return, and the A's pitching depth, a Zito for Abreu swap would make sense for both teams. I've heard nothing to indicate that they have discussed that trade.

palehozenychicty
12-02-2005, 11:45 AM
trading for abreu would help the a's. i'm hearing on the radio that they are very interested in the board game freak, milton bradley, as well. a beane-bradley confrontation during spring training? priceless.