PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get the new MLB.com Holiday Catalog?

Hangar18
11-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Just curious if anyone else did. I got mine a week ago. Seeing that the Chicago White Sox just won their 1st World Series in 88 years, one would think
they were on the cover, right? WRONG.

MLB.com instead chose to feature 3 baseball caps. Yankees, Red Sox and get this .....the Cubs.

I also received my Eastbay Holiday catalog. If anyone is familiar with them, they sell all kinds of sporting goods merchandise, and have separate sections for NFL, MLB, Soccer, NBA etc. I quickly turned to the MLB section. The Chicago White Sox after all, just won the 2005 World Series, and im rarin' to buy lots of White Sox merchandise.

Eastbay is currently only offering 19 baseball related products. Some of the merchandise is pretty cool, but upon reading the product info and perusing the accompanying product photos, you are alerted that not all MLB teams are available, and that only a handful of teams are actually available for the items in question. How many you say? The average was approximately 4.
Every time I saw something I liked, I noticed that it wasnt available as a White Sox item. I had to choose between Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs.

I decided to see how many World Champion White SOX items were actually available, and was surprised to find 10 of the 19 items were avail as White SOX. Only 2 teams were available in ALL 19 PRODUCTS. Those teams?
The 26 World Championship NY Yankees of course, and incredibly stunning
the Cubs. Unreal.

Maybe Kenny was right. Its gonna take 2 Championships to get respect.

Lip Man 1
11-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Hangar:

I love you man but please........

Lip

rdwj
11-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I saw the MLB cover and threw it directly in the garbage.

The Critic
11-28-2005, 12:48 PM
I didn't see a Cub hat on the trophy at City Hall last week.
Let MLB, ESPN, TribCo, etc., do whatever they want, I got what I wanted.

nccwsfan
11-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Devil's advocate here:

The White Sox championship gear was on the catalog, albeit on the back cover. Regardless, they did devote a page to the World Champions, and had it been any other team they would have also been on the back cover.

As far as the merchandise goes, this stuff was released back in February/March, so all they're doing is regurgitating the same materials. I'd be more concerned if they didn't have us more prominently in the 2006 catalog, but all they're doing is selling old merchandise.

Don't really care about what's on the cover- I would hope that no one becomes a fan of a team because their hat is on the cover of the MLB catalog, but if that's the case, you'll be in good company with the other Cub fans.
Just prove them wrong and buy White Sox merchandise- they won't ignore the White Sox if the sales warrant it.

Hangar18
11-28-2005, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=The Critic]I didn't see a Cub hat on the trophy at City Hall last week.
Let MLB, ESPN, TribCo, etc., do whatever they want[QUOTE]

Heh heh. Now that you mention it, I didnt see a Cub hat on the trophy either,

heh hehhheh. :cool:

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I got it a week or two ago. My girlfriend hid it from me immediately (I just got a home equity loan and she wants to make sure that money goes where it is supposed to and not to mlb)

Flight #24
11-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Just curious if anyone else did. I got mine a week ago. Seeing that the Chicago White Sox just won their 1st World Series in 88 years, one would think
they were on the cover, right? WRONG.

MLB.com instead chose to feature 3 baseball caps. Yankees, Red Sox and get this .....the Cubs.

I also received my Eastbay Holiday catalog. If anyone is familiar with them, they sell all kinds of sporting goods merchandise, and have separate sections for NFL, MLB, Soccer, NBA etc. I quickly turned to the MLB section. The Chicago White Sox after all, just won the 2005 World Series, and im rarin' to buy lots of White Sox merchandise.

Eastbay is currently only offering 19 baseball related products. Some of the merchandise is pretty cool, but upon reading the product info and perusing the accompanying product photos, you are alerted that not all MLB teams are available, and that only a handful of teams are actually available for the items in question. How many you say? The average was approximately 4.
Every time I saw something I liked, I noticed that it wasnt available as a White Sox item. I had to choose between Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs.

I decided to see how many World Champion White SOX items were actually available, and was surprised to find 10 of the 19 items were avail as White SOX. Only 2 teams were available in ALL 19 PRODUCTS. Those teams?
The 26 World Championship NY Yankees of course, and incredibly stunning
the Cubs. Unreal.

Maybe Kenny was right. Its gonna take 2 Championships to get respect.

C'mon Henry, we see right through you. This is just a ploy for you to reduce your own personal spending! I mean if you call up and buy stuff from MLB, you just cut your expenses because it's less than you WOULD have spent if they had more stuff to buy, right?

:wink:

Dan Mega
11-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Its a conspiracy for the MLB to get rid of the Sox bandwagon!

Seriously though why should we care? The Yanks, Cubs, and Red Cubs have huge national followings. Its whats best for their business. If someone really wants Sox gear then they'll find other ways to get it.

ilsox7
11-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Some of y'all just need to realize and accept that the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs are more marketable than every other team in MLB. It's nothing but good business to feature them in these types of advertisements.

Be happy the Sox won it all. Way too much angst around here even after we've won a title AND are looking to have a good shot to do the same next year.

The Deacon
11-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Some of y'all just need to realize and accept that the Red Sox, Yankees, and Cubs are more marketable than every other team in MLB. It's nothing but good business to feature them in these types of advertisements.

Be happy the Sox won it all. Way too much angst around here even after we've won a title AND are looking to have a good shot to do the same next year.

Agreed. It's no coincidence that they are the 3 top teams in merchandise sold and they happen to be on the cover. Sucks, but it be so. They can put whatever they want on the cover, we are still the champs baby!

TornLabrum
11-28-2005, 08:51 PM
I got it a week or two ago. My girlfriend hid it from me immediately (I just got a home equity loan and she wants to make sure that money goes where it is supposed to and not to mlb)

I wish my wife had done that.