PDA

View Full Version : Who's the worst of them all?

PKalltheway
11-28-2005, 12:21 AM
As sort of a spinoff to SOXintheBURGH's thread, who do you think has the worst front office out of the 30 major league teams?

batmanZoSo
11-28-2005, 12:25 AM
When you take into account the vast resources and compare it against on-field success? Ha...

Who else?

http://sportsfan87.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/cubs_logo.jpg.w180h182.jpg

PKalltheway
11-28-2005, 12:31 AM
I voted Tampa Bay because they have never really had a clear direction to where they wanted to move the franchise since they first started. They wasted money in getting Jose Canseco, Vinny Castilla, and Greg Vaughn and had no pitching to back up their offense (Rolando Arrojo? Bryan Rekar?) Then, they cleaned house and promised Lou Piniella that they were going to try to build a contender and they have not. The team just got worse.

Banix12
11-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Reds, definitely the reds. They bring in a guy like Jr. who they didn't seem to need. They have something like 5 OF that can start on any team and yet they refuse to trade any of them for the pitching they desperately need. Then they nickel and dime together a pitching staff with guys like Paul Wilson and Jose Rijo and then when they finally do try to buy starters they bring in losers like Ramon Ortiz and Eric Milton for big contracts.

The rest of the teams have at least shown some level of competence. Even the cubs who have made some good trades and have at least developed pitchers who can pitch (stay healthy, that's another issue.)

The Orioles might be the next worst mostly because their front office appears to be some sort of puppet regime, Peter Angelos destroyed that team.

PKalltheway
11-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Believe me, I live in Cincinnati and we're all confused here:?:

nccwsfan
11-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I voted Pittsburgh because of their recent wretched history of losing seasons (13 and counting)....Tampa Bay would have easily received my vote, but they have just changed management and there's no way to know if they're better or worse than the old regime. Too unknown to be called the worst. Kansas City is pretty bad too. IMO of course.

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
None of the above. It's the New York Mets.

Dan Mega
11-28-2005, 02:21 PM
It can't be the scrubs, their front office's #1 goal is to get great attendance and revenue, which they accomplished. Winning for them is usually low on their list of priorities.

I voted for the O's. The front office makes itself look foolish by fighting the Nats relocation and also taking on Sosa and Pinson. And lets not even touch the whole Palmeiro incident.

gowhitesox
11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
For the Worst front office, the Cubs have to be given serious consideration, as they find different ways to goof things up every year. They have been through several managers and makes no difference. Dusty Baker will probably be the next one to be shown the exit sign. First they blamed it on the curse of the Billy Goat and now Steve Bartman.

The Detroit Tigers front office has to be considered among the worst also.

Norberto7
11-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Who has less hope than the Royals? Their owner, David Glass, supposedly told Mike Sweeney they were going to raise payroll to over $60 mil in order to resign him, then slashed it to below $45 mil. Nice move.

I also believe that Glass does not even live near KC, but in Arkansas, being a former Wal-Mart executive. I doubt the outcry over the Royals is as vocal in Bentonville.

I want Mags back
11-28-2005, 05:43 PM
The only team stupid enough to not have a GM this far into the offseason

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/redsox.jpg
DUMB ASSES

SoxSpeed22
11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
For the Worst front office, the Cubs have to be given serious consideration, as they find different ways to goof things up every year. They have been through several managers and makes no difference. Dusty Baker will probably be the next one to be shown the exit sign. First they blamed it on the curse of the Billy Goat and now Steve Bartman.We all know that one thing they're good at is scapegoating. They may be adept at brainwashing as well.
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8596/x6lame3hd.png
Back to the question, I would have to go with Tampa Bay or Kansas City. Because these are by far, the two most hopeless organizations in baseball. The Devil Rays have a good core of young players, but they can't pitch and their "veteran" players are all either washed-up, or they were never good in the first place. That what happens when 'upside' doesn't pan out.
The Royals had something good going in 2003, they could not build on it with veteran pitchers. Then all their young pitchers' arms fell off.
You don't win, you can't get revenue, when you can't get revenue, you can't pay good players. You keep losing while waiting for those prospects. Most of them don't pan out, you begin the cycle again.

sean
11-28-2005, 06:11 PM
I'll go with the Royals, even with their supposed attempt to increase payroll, because that increase in payroll MIGHT mean Reggie Sanders, and although I have nothing against Reggie Sanders, that doesn't count as trying to win.

Plus, I might be wrong, but didn't the DRays just reorganize their front office? They would be my choice, but with the young players they have, actually signing Carl Crawford (and Rocco Baldelli, I think) long term, and starting anew in the front office, it's tough to call them the worst right now.

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 07:44 PM
The only team stupid enough to not have a GM this far into the offseason

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/redsox.jpg
DUMB ASSES

Yeah, but they still have had the best hot-stove sucess landing Lowell and Becket.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-28-2005, 10:00 PM
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8596/x6lame3hd.png

:?:

SoxSpeed22
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
:?:Aw, heck. I knew that was gonna happen. Zany Video Game Quotes (http://zanyvg.overclocked.org/) was the reason for this. It's from Megaman X6, and I just think that brainwashing in general is lame. It's a very obscure reference, now I know how Dennis Miller feels. This is also what happens when you don't sleep, you just started classes and had two lousy days in a row.:nuts::nuts::nuts:
EDIT: I didn't mean that I was a smart@$$, just that it was very difficult to understand.
And if I was you, I would've thrown in an extra '***.'

Corlose 15
11-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Having lived in Michigan most of my life I'm going to have to go with the Tigers. This team hasn't had a winning record since 1993 and I think they went about 83-79 that year. They've lost 90+ games 7 times since then. Randy Smith was possibly the worst GM in the history of organized sport. I believe he traded for Brad Ausmus on three seperate ocasions. He was awful and it took them a loooooong time to fire him. The minor league system was in shambles under him and was a good reason why they went 43-119 in 2003

Whats really funny about it now is that the Tigers and their fans in particular have this sad dilusion that they're close to being good. So, instead of having a plan of building up the minor leagues and competing in a few years with ingrown talent and solid FA aquisitions, they blow money on players like Ordonez, Pecival, Vina, and Rodriquez. So, they're saddled with the same kind of ridiculous contracts they had with Higginson and Easley under Smith.

They have a couple good young pitching prospects with Bonderman, Verlander and Zumaya but I'm sure they'll somehow mess it up.

Thank God my Dad grew up on the west side of Chicago and I haven't had to waste my time with this worthless organization. :cool:

SOXintheBURGH
11-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Having lived in Michigan most of my life I'm going to have to go with the Tigers. This team hasn't had a winning record since 1993 and I think they went about 83-79 that year. They've lost 90+ games 7 times since then. Randy Smith was possibly the worst GM in the history of organized sport. I believe he traded for Brad Ausmus on three seperate ocasions. He was awful and it took them a loooooong time to fire him. The minor league system was in shambles under him and was a good reason why they went 43-119 in 2003

Hey, at least two of those 43 ensured Loaiza never won the Cy Young.

MUsoxfan
11-29-2005, 01:57 AM
I voted the Orioles because while other teams are on tight budgets, the O's are on a relatively loose budget and choose to spend very, very, very stupidly on an annual basis

gobears1987
11-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I say Mets, they overpay everyone.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Aw, heck. I knew that was gonna happen. Zany Video Game Quotes (http://zanyvg.overclocked.org/) was the reason for this. It's from Megaman X6, and I just think that brainwashing in general is lame. It's a very obscure reference, now I know how Dennis Miller feels. This is also what happens when you don't sleep, you just started classes and had two lousy days in a row.:nuts::nuts::nuts:
EDIT: I didn't mean that I was a smart@$$, just that it was very difficult to understand.
And if I was you, I would've thrown in an extra '***.'

no i like it, just wanted that extra clarification. It's like that "all your base are belong to us." Bad translating in video games?

SoxSpeed22
11-29-2005, 06:36 PM
It's like that "all your base are belong to us." Bad translating in video games?Zany Video Game Quotes has all sorts of sayings in video games. That was a pretty lousy translation of Megaman X6, so I thought that since brainwashing is lame, it should apply to reploids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reploid) too.