PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious on your opinions..

Soxfan35
11-27-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm assuming there are some pretty big baseball junkies here. Where are your favorites sources of info? Who are your favorite columnists? I'm talking about ESPN(Gammons, Crasnick, Olney etc), CNNSI (verducci), Foxsports(rosenthal) and other such places. Do you guys favor more national sites or do you guys usually stick with local stuff. Personally, I'm a big Crasnick and Rosenthal fan.

sox84
11-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Strictly local! Especially NOT the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network!

Chisox003
11-27-2005, 04:38 PM
WSI

:gulp:

Fredsox
11-27-2005, 04:56 PM
I need both national and local. I hit up Fox, ESPN, and SI for national and the Cubune, Sun-Times, and Daily Herald for local perspective. Then I come to WSI for clarity of thought. Occasionally I'll hit up the NY Times or the LA Times for some east & west perspective on things, but not often.

As you might have guessed I have no life......

SaltyPretzel
11-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Jay Mariotti's daily column.

MarySwiss
11-27-2005, 05:09 PM
I need both national and local. I hit up Fox, ESPN, and SI for national and the Cubune, Sun-Times, and Daily Herald for local perspective. Then I come to WSI for clarity of thought. Occasionally I'll hit up the NY Times or the LA Times for some east & west perspective on things, but not often.

As you might have guessed I have no life......

Agreed. I read 'em all, then filter them through WSI. Basically, I don't believe anything is gospel until it is posted as offiial on MLB.com. Even then, I'm skeptical!

Banix12
11-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Take em all with a grain of salt but if you are talking people who I trust more than others. I don't mind Gammons mostly because I think his rumors are usually a bit more reliable than most. The best guy at ESPN.com is Tim Kurkjian, I find him to be an incredibly fair writer. Fairness is all I really ask. To a lesser extend I don't mind Stark.

Dolly
11-27-2005, 05:24 PM
WSI

:gulp:Ditto that

Over By There
11-27-2005, 05:51 PM
I also like John Donovan at SI. At the very least, he's prolific during the season. I barely read any columnists at ESPN.com. The site makes it hard to find new columns, and if you listen to ESPN radio enough to hear interviews with guys like Stark or Kurkjian, then you've already read their articles anyway.

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 05:59 PM
WSI

:gulp:

I'm piling on. :cool:

hose
11-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Locally I read the beat writers and listen to the Score/ESPN baseball shows.

Nationally Tim Kurkjian is the best of the lot.

The best coverage for Sox minor leaguers is FutureSox.com

WSI of course.

JohnBasedowYoda
11-27-2005, 06:53 PM
I like that bruce levine guy on espn1000. He's not too cub-iased. He seems to be the 1st guy to break all the news. At least to me it seems that way

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 07:03 PM
I like that bruce levine guy on espn1000. He's not too cub-iased. He seems to be the 1st guy to break all the news. At least to me it seems that way

:tealpolice:

"Sir, please put your hands up and step away from the keyboard."

buehrle4cy05
11-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Hal Vickery.

DrGiggles
11-27-2005, 07:52 PM
www.prosportsdaily.com (http://www.prosportsdaily.com) and www.rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com)

y2j2785
11-27-2005, 08:05 PM
www.prosportsdaily.com (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/) and www.rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/)

I agree with this, but I also look at WSI. :D:

As for a columnist i like Peter Gammons because he usually has all the info.

mccoydp
11-27-2005, 08:08 PM
WSI, all the way.

TornLabrum
11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Hal Vickery.

Thanks, mom.

buehrle4cy05
11-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks, mom.

Go to your room!

nccwsfan
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
ESPN.com- primarily Gammons, Kurkijan, and Crasnick
Baseball America
Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times
WSI
Sports Weekly- Bob Nightengale is on the mark more often than not

As someone mentioned earlier, take it all in stride and realize that you can't get dead on predictions all of the time.

PKalltheway
11-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Usually Peter Gammons or Tim Kurkijan on ESPN, or MLB.com. I read SI too. Tom Verducci's story in SI "All for One" after the White Sox won it all was possibly one of the best sports articles I have ever read.

tebman
11-29-2005, 11:52 PM
I try to read as many different sources as I can and I spend way too much time prowling WSI. But no one place ever has the whole story -- I try to read as much as possible and piece it together. Every story has the writer's biases and limitations built into it, so I try hard not to rely on one source.

It's that old reporter's adage: if your mother says she loves you, check it out.

MUsoxfan
11-30-2005, 12:43 AM
WSI, all the way.

I really do find all of my baseball news (and alot of my regular news) on WSI. Most posters here are far and away ahead of me when it comes to BP or ESPN updates. I come here and read everything as if it were gospel. For the most part it is, because the crap gets filtered out to where it belongs

Madvora
11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
My rumor source is cbssportsline.com's rumor mill. They just compile information for newspapers around the country anyway and they post what date the news was updated.

My main source has become WSI now because we do the same thing here and filter out all the crap that's out there.

doublem23
11-30-2005, 11:11 AM
I will read ESPN, but mostly just for news stories. Any opinion stuff I generally ignore or read for the hilarity. WSI and whitesox.com are my sources of everything Sox-related. Sometimes I'll glance at the Cubune and Sun-Times, but generally, I get the links to those two papers via threads here.