PDA

View Full Version : Who´s going to hit 3rd?

caulfield12
11-27-2005, 11:30 AM
And now Williams hopes to soon find out what Konerko will do, probably by the winter meetings that begin Dec. 5.

His preference: a lineup with Konerko and Thome batting Nos. 4-5.

from dailysouthtown.com¨

Does this make any sense to anyone? Dye would hit 6th and Iguchi 7th, or Dye 3rd and Iguchi 6th? There has to be one or two more moves.

ChiSoxIn06
11-27-2005, 11:32 AM
id go with dye...in the post season he did a great job in the 3 spot

NorthSideSox72
11-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't see how you can put Dye 3rd and Thome 5th - Thome is, plain and simple, a far superior hitter to Dye.

Thome should hit third, because he's the best overall hitter on the team. Konerko can hit clean-up, and Dye 5th. You maybe could argue having PK hit third and Thome 4th, but I can't see how Dye is in that same league offensively.

NowBatting19
11-27-2005, 11:52 AM
If Konerko comes back, I like Dye in the 3rd spot. He did well there down the stretch and this gives Konerko and Thome more time to see the pitcher. As for Iguchi, he'll find success no matter where he hits. It would be nice to see him "unleashed" as people have been saying, but who knows what KW is planning.

bobowhite
11-27-2005, 11:55 AM
I think the lefty-righty matchup will have something to say about Thome or Dye batting 3rd with the other one batting 5th. I think AJ and Iguchi, batting 6th and 7th, may also swap at times as well.

That being said, I'm concerned about Thome batting 3rd. He does strikeout much more than I would prefer a good #3 hitter to do.

Lastly, I think Dye batted 3rd in the playoffs because he was really hot at the end of the season. At the start of the season he was fairly cold and is a famously slow starter. I think Ozzie is smart enough to juggle a lineup based on something like that.

Brian26
11-27-2005, 12:00 PM
If Konerko comes back, I like Dye in the 3rd spot. He did well there down the stretch and this gives Konerko and Thome more time to see the pitcher.

I like the idea of having Dye in the 3-hole too. Why fix it if it's not broke? He seemed to find his groove down stretch batting 3rd, so I'd stick with that. It's crazy to think we were having fairly intense discussions about who should bat third as late as mid-September, and the team ended up winning it all. Remember all the ideas with AJ and Everett hitting 3rd? Someone even suggested Uribe when he was hot.

Anyway, here's a nice lineup if we stick with Anderson in CF:

Podsednik LF
Anderson CF
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
Thome DH
Iguchi 2B
Pierzynski C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Realist
11-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Dye.

TheOldRoman
11-27-2005, 12:43 PM
I think Iguchi should hit 3. He was a .280 hitter most of the year, and those number should only go up over time (due to more experience, more protection, better help in the lineup, etc.)
For the people who say we need more of a power thread in the lineup, I say look at the Cleveland Indians of the mid 90s.

Lofton
Vizquel
Baerga
Belle
Murray
Thome
Ramirez
Sorrento
Alomar/Pena

Baerga hit .315 in 95, with a .355 OBP and 15 homers. Iguchi can put up at least as good numbers (except maybe BA) in the three hole. We would be moving Iguchi down a little and giving him more freedom, while still having someone to lay down a bunt with a runner on 2nd and no outs.
However, this is moot unless we can find a better 2 hitter. Brian Anderson is not a 2 hitter right now, and he probably never will be. He needs to bat 8 or 9 this year. If we cant find someone who can do at least as good a job as Iguchi, he needs to stay there.

CluelessJoe1919
11-27-2005, 01:52 PM
....sometime by the end of the 2006 season, Juan Uribe will emerge as the No.3 hitter on this team.

MisterB
11-27-2005, 02:31 PM
....sometime by the end of the 2006 season, Juan Uribe will emerge as the No.3 hitter on this team.

At least you're living up to your screen name...:D:

Unless Thomas is re-signed and healthy, Thome is the best hitter on the team. It would be a waste batting him 5th. He should easily have the best OBP on the team, and it would be insanity not to want him getting a guaranteed plate appearance in the first inning.

For my money:

1. Pods
2. Iguchi
3. Thome
4. Konerko*
5. Dye
6. AJP
7. Crede
8. Anderson
9. Uribe

(*-do we have anything lighter than deeppink? It isn't that much of a pipe dream.)

Chisox003
11-27-2005, 02:47 PM
1. Pods
2. Iguchi
3. Thome
4. Konerko*
5. Dye
6. AJP
7. Crede
8. Anderson
9. Uribe

:nod:

:drool:

ShoelessJoeS
11-27-2005, 04:26 PM
I believe Kenny wants Dye to bat in the 3rd spot and have Thome hit 5th to protect Konerko in the 4th spot.

Pods
Gooch
Dye
Paulie
Thome
AJ
Crede
Anderson
Uribe

Over By There
11-27-2005, 04:47 PM
What about:

3. Dye
4. Thome
5. Konerko
6. AJ

R-L-R-L ...

Frater Perdurabo
11-27-2005, 05:58 PM
My pipedream would be to sign Brian Giles, even if it meant Konerko would be gone. While Giles wouldn't be a Gold Glove CF, I believe he could be as good as Rowand was in CF with the small gaps at the Cell. But look at this lineup:

Pods (L), Iguchi (R), Giles (L), Frank (R), Thome (L), Dye (R), AJ (L), Crede (R), Uribe (R)

With incredible speed followed by excellent situational hitting at the top, the 3-4-5 spots would feature .400+ OBP, 4-5-6 would have .500+ SLG, and 7-8-9 all are threats to go yard. In addition, the lineup is lefty-righty throughout (except 8-9), a nightmare for opposing pitchers and managers. Anderson would be the #4 OF, playing about 4-5 games per week to give everyone else a rest, either on the bench or at DH to spell Frank against select right-handed pitchers.

Giles will come cheaper than Konerko and will give the Sox the flexibility to retain Frank and give him plenty of plate appearances as the DH.

CallMeNuts
11-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I'd keep Dye in the 3-hole. Batting before Konerko, he saw better pitches, and took advantage of the situation.

I'd bat Konerko clean-up against righties. A righty won't work around Paulie if Thome is on deck.

Against lefties, I'd bat Thome 4th and use Konerko to protect him.

nccwsfan
11-27-2005, 08:34 PM
What about:

3. Dye
4. Thome
5. Konerko
6. AJ

R-L-R-L ...

That's what I'm thinking...

Podsednik
Iguchi
Dye
Thome
Konerko*
Pierzynski
Crede
Anderson
Uribe

MrRoboto83
11-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Thome will be our #3 hitter, PK(hopefully)#4 and Dye #5

MHOUSE
11-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Pods
Gooch
Konerko
Thome
Dye
AJ
Crede
Anderson
Uribe

I think you have a great R-L-R-L-R through the heart of the order. I think Crede will hit much better this season and Thome strikes out too much to be a #3 hitter.

antitwins13
11-27-2005, 10:12 PM
dye

Borchard

nodiggity59
11-27-2005, 10:33 PM
My ideal:

Pods
Gooch
Dye
PK
Thome
Crede
AJ
Anderson
Uribe

sircaffey1
11-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Thome>Pauly>Dye

Why would you bat the worst of the 3 in the 3rd spot? What is the benefit? The only benefit would Dye has more speed. Other than that, Pauly and Thome are better than Dye at everything. It makes little sense.

Pods
Iguchi
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJ
Crede
Anderson
Uribe

Banix12
11-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Kenny wants his ideal lineup to have thome-konerko 4-5? I honestly am not sure why that would make sense with the roster made up the way it is.

I just can't understand why they wouldn't try to get Thome an at-bat in the first inning. Konerko has never looked too hot when batting third, though protection could make all the difference.

Eh, Ozzie will play with the lineup for a bit and figure out what works best for him. I just wonder what Kenny is looking around for.

The Racehorse
11-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Anyway, here's a nice lineup if we stick with Anderson in CF:

Podsednik LF
Anderson CF
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
Thome DH
Iguchi 2B
Pierzynski C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

If Ozzie bats Anderson in the second-hole, I'd like to think Ozzie would make it clear to him that moving the runner[s] would his #1-priority and to not worry about rbi's and average, like the expectations Ozzie had placed on Iguchi last season... then, if Andersen can get the job done, I'd like to see Tadahito "unleashed" in the 3-hole and Dye bat 6th.

Iguchi would see plenty of good pitches with thumpers like PK and Thome batting behind him... since the league only knows Tadahito as a #2 hitter, they probably don't realize how much dynamite he packs in his swing [I'm having visions of Iguchi raking like Rock Raines did during the mid-80's :D: ].

Dye gives the 6th-spot good coverage [plenty of pop, a decent average & solid OBP, and the occasional stolen base] ...

... if Anderson bats second, then I'd like to see Tadahito bat third.

Taliesinrk
11-28-2005, 08:45 AM
My pipedream would be to sign Brian Giles, even if it meant Konerko would be gone. While Giles wouldn't be a Gold Glove CF, I believe he could be as good as Rowand was in CF with the small gaps at the Cell. But look at this lineup:

Pods (L), Iguchi (R), Giles (L), Frank (R), Thome (L), Dye (R), AJ (L), Crede (R), Uribe (R)

With incredible speed followed by excellent situational hitting at the top, the 3-4-5 spots would feature .400+ OBP, 4-5-6 would have .500+ SLG, and 7-8-9 all are threats to go yard. In addition, the lineup is lefty-righty throughout (except 8-9), a nightmare for opposing pitchers and managers. Anderson would be the #4 OF, playing about 4-5 games per week to give everyone else a rest, either on the bench or at DH to spell Frank against select right-handed pitchers.

Giles will come cheaper than Konerko and will give the Sox the flexibility to retain Frank and give him plenty of plate appearances as the DH.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is exactly what I've been hoping/praying for since they aquired Thome.. If the Big Man is healthy this deal would probably work all too well.. and perhaps give the Sox an extra couple mil. to sign another FA (perhaps lefty reliever).

White Sox Randy
11-28-2005, 09:40 AM
I don't really believe that Giles will come to the Sox and I do believe that Konerko will be back.

But, I would love to see the Sox sign Giles and Nomar (DH, backup 3b). Now, our team speed is much better. I would probably put Pods in center and leave Giles in left.

How about this lineup?

Pods
Nomar
Giles
Thome
Iguchi
Dye
A.J.
Crede
Uribe

That is a great lineup !

SoxFan76
11-28-2005, 10:21 AM
I think this Konerko Thome 4-5 talk is similar to Iguchi batting 8/9 last year. If it does happen, it won't last long. Assuming Konerko resigns, its Podsednik, Iguchi, Konerko, Thome, Dye, AJ, Crede, Anderson, Uribe. No surprises.

Randar68
11-28-2005, 12:27 PM
I think this Konerko Thome 4-5 talk is similar to Iguchi batting 8/9 last year. If it does happen, it won't last long. Assuming Konerko resigns, its Podsednik, Iguchi, Konerko, Thome, Dye, AJ, Crede, Anderson, Uribe. No surprises.

Thome will be batting 3rd. END OF STORY. People saying otherwise have not payed attention.

They may still address the #2 spot and move Iguchi down to 5th or 6th, but Thome will be batting third if Konerko returns.

Dye batting 3rd? He only hit there out of necessity, and except for the last 4-8 games of the year, looked terrible when asked to do so.

Unless the Sox fail to sign Konerko (which throws most of the lineup into the ?-mark category), you'll see Pods leading off with Thome 3rd and Konerko 4th.

Deuce
11-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Thome will be batting 3rd. END OF STORY. People saying otherwise have not payed attention.Word. Biggest bat bats third. Thome is currently our biggest bat. Konerko is a #4 hitter. He wouldn't change if asked, and no one is asking.

Randar68
11-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Word. Biggest bat bats third. Thome is currently our biggest bat. Konerko is a #4 hitter. He wouldn't change if asked, and no one is asking.

Not only that, but Thome works the count more and takes way more walks, will dramatically improve Konerko's RBI opportunities.