PDA

View Full Version : Beckett vs. Willis

MHOUSE
11-27-2005, 04:00 AM
Part of dealing Beckett to Boston was to cut salary and free up money to eventually sign Cabrera and Willis to long-term deals. It's all a done deal and Boston comes out as a big winner, but I want to know who you would build your rotation around: Josh Beckett or Dontrelle Willis?

Career numbers:
Beckett age 25
41-34, 3.46 ERA, 609 IP, 607 K

Willis age 23
46-27, 3.27 ERA, 594 IP, 451K

In my opinion, Beckett will have a longer and more productive career overall than Dontrelle Willis. Beckett has taken 4 season to get rolling, but his starts, innings pitched, and wins have gone up every year. He has struck out almost a batter per inning for his career and only has to shake some blister problems to be considered completely "healthy".

Willis, on the other hand, will probably burn out quicker with that funky arm motion and increased stress on his throwing arm. If he loses some mechanics it can take half a season to get it back or cause an injury.

Beckett has a smoother, more Orthodox delivery and after a 15-8 season I think he is really hitting his prime and with Boston's offense will only keep winning.

Banix12
11-27-2005, 04:34 AM
The only thing that has ever really looked funky to me about Willis is that high leg kick, which probably helps him hide the ball better. He seems to throw pretty much sidearm and I was always under the impression that pitching sidearm puts less stress on the arm, not more. The more orthodox pitching style can put far more stress on the arm and joints. Unless somebody here is a physical therapist and can disprove me i would build around Willis.

It's really a simple choice, do you want a guy who has already won 20 games and logged 200 innings in a season by age 23 or the guy who has yet to start in 30 games or pitch 200 innings in any season at age 25. Also, those blister problems can be really difficult to fix, and the more innings you log the more likely they are to recur.

This is actually very similar to the Buehrle vs. Wood debate. Do you want the oft injured fireballer with a lot of potential or the finesse guy who can stay on the mound and eat innings.

However I would also say that if I'm Cabrera and Willis I am not sticking around when my contract comes up. If the Marlins are still in Florida, threatening to move, and incapable of signing more than one or two players to long term deals there is no reason for those guys to stick around when they can win somewhere else and will likely get more money.

Unless they get their location problems fixed Cabrera and Willis will be traded once they get too expensive.

Crede_Fan
11-27-2005, 09:34 AM
However I would also say that if I'm Cabrera and Willis I am not sticking around when my contract comes up. If the Marlins are still in Florida, threatening to move, and incapable of signing more than one or two players to long term deals there is no reason for those guys to stick around when they can win somewhere else and will likely get more money.

Unless they get their location problems fixed Cabrera and Willis will be traded once they get too expensive.

If they do move the team out of Florida, won't Cabrera and Willis lose $$$. I say this because Florida is a no state income tax, and there is no guarantee that they move to another no state income tax state. Anyone know what other states have no state tax?

On to the the thread question, I would go with Willis.

Tragg
11-27-2005, 09:48 AM
willis sells tickets

WestSox
11-27-2005, 10:48 AM
It's really a simple choice, do you want a guy who has already won 20 games and logged 200 innings in a season by age 23 or the guy who has yet to start in 30 games or pitch 200 innings in any season at age 25. Also, those blister problems can be really difficult to fix, and the more innings you log the more likely they are to recur.

Yep, look at Jeremy Affelt. Very good pitcher, but he spends half of the season on the DL because of blisters.

Beckett's great when healthy, but I agree with the comparison to Kerry Wood. The only difference between Beckett and Wood is that Beckett has actually won a significant game. :roflmao:

nccwsfan
11-27-2005, 11:37 AM

Reminds me a lot of Vladimir Guerrero when he was in limbo with the Expos.

VivaOzzie
11-27-2005, 12:30 PM
willis sells tickets

You beat me to it. Skill wise, baseball wise, I would take Beckett. But baseball being a business, I'd have to take Willis. He's probably the NL pitcher most likely to sell tickets, and thats what the Marlins need right now, badly.