PDA

View Full Version : Worst park in baseball

CluelessJoe1919
11-26-2005, 02:57 PM
...err Chase Field, in Arizona now.
The park is a big ugly barn.
You need a telescope to see from the upper deck, where Big Horn Sheep would be afraid to climb.
Who would watch a ballgame from a swimming pool?
Not only that, the food is horrible and overpriced.

skobabe8
11-26-2005, 03:02 PM
You need a telescope to see from the upper deck, where Big Horn Sheep would be afraid to climb.

The nachos are really good there. The carts have steak and chicken toppings, and pile it really high. Thats the only theing Chase has on the Cell, IMO.

WestSox
11-26-2005, 03:03 PM
People give the Cell a bad rap but Houston's park is an absolute joke. The ridiculous hill in center, the flagpole, band box dimensions, the yellow homerun line (that apparently doesn't mean anything) the woman from the Quaker Oates box sitting in the first row, the cute little choo-choo train driven by the filthy hillbilly, people dressed like bumble bees, a retractable roof with magical powers......

Have you actually been there or are you just reporting what you've seen on TV?

I agree that the hill/flagpole is stupid, but I strongly disagree that it's an "absolute joke". It's, by far, the nicest indoor stadium I've ever seen. It beats the hell out of the Metrodome or the Skydome.

Daver
11-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Fenway Park is a turd.

voodoochile
11-26-2005, 03:04 PM
You're new here, so I'll explain the rules.

We ask that posters not bring back old threads to make a comment not in spirit with the old thread. The discussion in that other thread was specifically about the new Astros stadium and was timed for the World Series when it was topical to that moment. Since you were talking about a general thing - which stadium is worst in baseball, it would have been better to start a new thread, which I effectively did. Of course it's a generic thread about baseball stadiums and not specific to the Sox, so I moved the thread to this forum where general baseball discussion take place.

TheKittle
11-26-2005, 03:05 PM
A few things. If you want to talk about stupid "quirks" look at that short porch at Petco Park and that section that sticks out for nothing!!! There is no reason other than being stupid and quirky to have that section stick out.

I agree Fenway is a DUMP. A rat infested POS dump!!!! Been there twice, never eaten there and don't care to go back.

Dodger Stadium gets my vote as the worst stadium. DUMP stadium. Class system of entry. Terrible seats (though they are being replaced). One of the most overrated dumps ever.

WestSox
11-26-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd have to say that the Marlins' stadium is probably the worst. It's freaking football stadium, for Chrissake! Shea and the dumps in Minneapolis and Tampa also deserve mention.

Soxfanspcu11
11-26-2005, 03:34 PM

I agree that sitting in the upperdeck is similar to scaling a mountain but other then that I think it's a pretty cool place. I was there in '98 when it was still BOB, but it was pretty cool and really state of the art, at least back then.

The rectractable roof is really cool, the stadium set up is very nice overall. And I thought/think the pool is a neat idea, certainly unique. Also they have 3 McDonald's in the stadium! Where else do you see that???

kaufsox
11-26-2005, 04:25 PM
My vote goes to Shea. It basically has no character at all and the seats are very far away. I have to agree that Fenway is pretty bad as well. I don't mind the seating area there, but the causeways and aisleways are absolutely the worse I've ever been around, including Wrigley.

Fenway
11-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Fenway Park is a turd.

Fenway in a lot better shape than either New York parks
http://www.redsoxdiehard.com/diary/2003/pics/gateb.jpg

http://www.ballparkwatch.com/images/boston/DSCF0020.JPG

Daver
11-26-2005, 04:44 PM

I think we have had the polishing a turd discussion already.

No matter how hard you try you can't make a turd shine.

SOXSINCE'70
11-26-2005, 04:55 PM
In the A.L.,my vote goes to Tropicana Field and the Humpdome
(Metrodome).In the N.L.,Shea Stadium is pretty lousy,but the rat
infested tourist trap 8.1 miles north of Sox Park should be on this
list as well,IMHO.

Fenway
11-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I think we have had the polishing a turd discussion already.

No matter how hard you try you can't make a turd shine.

The Red Sox don't care, they more concerned about taking over the entire area around the ballpark

http://bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/top/features/documents/05107442.asp

This year — and particularly since the season ended last month — the Sox have set to work. They are making major renovations inside the ballpark, and renovating two small abutting buildings they own. They have bought up property around the park, to ensure that they control what gets built there, similar to BU’s strategy around its campus, including Kenmore Square. "We’re not interested in being real-estate developers per se," says Janet Marie Smith, Red Sox VP of planning and development. "We’re interested in making sure the area is as magical as possible."

They prevented Rosenthal from putting up buildings over the Mass Pike, behind left field (which could have turned into a Wrigley Field–like situation, in which non–Red Sox landlords would control "seats" to games in buildings that look inside the park, perhaps even selling access), and forced him onto a less desirable space — space they control since the state gave it to them, gratis, behind closed doors, because, well, they’re the Red Sox.

kittle42
11-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Shea Stadium sucks.

SoxEd
11-26-2005, 06:14 PM
What do you all think of RFK, the Nats' home park?

Now, I've never been, but I've heard that it's certainly nothing to write home about.

The Dude
11-26-2005, 06:15 PM
The Red Sox don't care, they more concerned about taking over the entire area around the ballpark

http://bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/top/features/documents/05107442.asp

This year — and particularly since the season ended last month — the Sox have set to work. They are making major renovations inside the ballpark, and renovating two small abutting buildings they own. They have bought up property around the park, to ensure that they control what gets built there, similar to BU’s strategy around its campus, including Kenmore Square. "We’re not interested in being real-estate developers per se," says Janet Marie Smith, Red Sox VP of planning and development. "We’re interested in making sure the area is as magical as possible."

They prevented Rosenthal from putting up buildings over the Mass Pike, behind left field (which could have turned into a Wrigley Field–like situation, in which non–Red Sox landlords would control "seats" to games in buildings that look inside the park, perhaps even selling access), and forced him onto a less desirable space — space they control since the state gave it to them, gratis, behind closed doors, because, well, they’re the Red Sox.

Blah blah....Fenway Park is the worst stadium and should be a parking lot.:cool:

ATXBMX
11-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Dodger Stadium gets my vote as the worst stadium. DUMP stadium. Class system of entry. Terrible seats (though they are being replaced). One of the most overrated dumps ever.

Dodger Stadium is terrible. Their parking situation is a nightmare. You can't walk around the ballpark at all, you're stuck wherever you get your tickets. The scoreboards are outdated, and you get a nice view of the parking lot beyond them. It's a minor league park with major league capacity. AWFUL.

Dancin' Homer
11-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Dodger Stadium is terrible. Their parking situation is a nightmare. You can't walk around the ballpark at all, you're stuck wherever you get your tickets. The scoreboards are outdated, and you get a nice view of the parking lot beyond them. It's a minor league park with major league capacity. AWFUL.

Granted I've only seen two games there but I found Dodgers Stadium to be a really great place to watch a game and I left after the last outs and was back to my hotel 20 minutes later (and it was a 20 minute drive there).

RFK was god-awful. a Football stadium with no real view of the action

Stroker Ace
11-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Wrigley field- Do I need to explain?

Shea Stadium- Dirty, no character, horrible seating. Maybe they should spend some on a new park, or at least some renavations.

SOXintheBURGH
11-26-2005, 08:28 PM
What do you all think of RFK, the Nats' home park?

Now, I've never been, but I've heard that it's certainly nothing to write home about.

Absolute rubbish.

chisox117
11-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Also they have 3 McDonald's in the stadium! Where else do you see that???

That actually highlights one of the things that I hate most about the park formerly known as "The BOB". Going there is like a trip to the food court down at the mall...they've got McDonalds, Subway, Little Ceasers, TGIFridays, Garcias, etc... and some people have the nerve to still call Sox Park a "ballmall".
I also hate the ushers they have there that don't let you go to your seat until they say that it's OK. It's certianly one of the most opressive parks in baseball.
I don't think that the BOB is the worst though...I give that honor to Tropicana Field.
:gulp:

ChiSoxIn06
11-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Great America Ballpark in Cincy..i know its new but its a hideous ballpark..and yes ive been there

Palehose13
11-26-2005, 08:55 PM
I also hate the ushers they have there that don't let you go to your seat until they say that it's OK. It's certianly one of the most opressive parks in baseball.
I don't think that the BOB is the worst though...I give that honor to Tropicana Field.

I agree with you on Tropicana Field. In regards to the ushers, I wish ours did that...maybe then morons won't decide to walk past me during a pitch.

RadioheadRocks
11-26-2005, 09:04 PM

I haven't been to the BOB since 1998, but I'm one who likes to walk around the ballpark and take pictures all over. I remember the ushers there being quite nasty when I tried to take a picture of the playing field from behind home plate. I literally had to do some serious arm twisting for them to allow me to take the picture I wanted between innings. Polar opposite of "fan-friendly", if you ask me!

chisox117
11-26-2005, 09:25 PM
I agree with you on Tropicana Field. In regards to the ushers, I wish ours did that...maybe then morons won't decide to walk past me during a pitch.

I agree that inconsiderate people can be annoying at inopportune moments during games, but I feel that this policy sucks some of the life out of the ballpark atmosphere, especially when the vendors are still allowed to hike up and the aisles, all the while spoiling the view for many fans. Plus, people still end up blocking the action when they are on their way out or moving around within a section (visiting friends or goofing around) without exiting onto the concourse. Generally speaking, if people are polite about it, I don't mind if they come and go a little bit during a game...and nobody likes having a regulation inscribed sign jammed in their face if they dare approach the seating area when they're anxious to get back to watching the game.

SoxEd
11-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Absolute rubbish.

RFK is absolute rubbish, or the comments that I've heard about it are? :wink:

nccwsfan
11-26-2005, 10:30 PM
RFK is absolute rubbish, or the comments that I've heard about it are? :wink:

RFK is OK. It certainly doesn't have the amenities that the new ballparks have, but the sightlines for the games were fine by me, and I was fortunate enough to park myself at a few different spots this year. Besides, they'll have a new park by 2008 (Hopefully, if they ever get an ownership group in place) and that park will be a gem.

It's a good atmosphere in DC. They did the right thing by moving the Expos there.....RFK is fine.

Tropicana Field is hands down the worst. Cold stadium, horrible concourses, dirty, RUDE ushers, monotone PA announcer, and an apathetic crowd. Other than that it was fun :o: .

TDog
11-26-2005, 11:35 PM

I've sat in the upper deck in the BOB, which probably isn't much different from the one at Chase Field. It isn't like I don't know what I'm talking about when I say I liked the BOB better than I liked a lot of stadiums, many of which no longer exist. I've been to a lot of games at Miller Park, too, and I think the BOB was superior.

Brian26
11-26-2005, 11:48 PM
I also hate the ushers they have there that don't let you go to your seat until they say that it's OK.

I might be in the minority on this, but I actually like this rule. I know it's harder to enforce in baseball than hockey or basketball, but it keeps the aisles clear so people can see the action.

Soxfanspcu11
11-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Tropicana Field is hands down the worst.

I have a question. Why did they build a domed stadium in Florida?!?!?!

I have been to Florida during all times of the year and its beautiful all the time. They can't say its because of the rain because it hardly ever rains, and when it does it doesn't last long.

What the hell were they thinking?!?!?! Indoor baseball in the Florida summertime?!?!?!

chisox117
11-27-2005, 12:42 AM
I might be in the minority on this, but I actually like this rule. I know it's harder to enforce in baseball than hockey or basketball, but it keeps the aisles clear so people can see the action.

I don't like it. The vendors are still blocking your view, and so is Baxter(Diamondbacks' answer to Southpaw). It seems like the person who gets stuck up on the concourse or in the can longer than he/she anticipated really gets unfairly penalized for it. So you might miss a pitch as I walk back to my seat, I might miss one if somebody else gets up. However, I don't want to have to miss an entire at-bat stuck up there because my girlfriend had to have an ice cream and the line was long or the guy in front of me couldn't decide what flavor he wanted or whatever.

Dan Mega
11-27-2005, 01:13 AM
I have a question. Why did they build a domed stadium in Florida?!?!?!

I have been to Florida during all times of the year and its beautiful all the time. They can't say its because of the rain because it hardly ever rains, and when it does it doesn't last long.

What the hell were they thinking?!?!?! Indoor baseball in the Florida summertime?!?!?!

110 degree heat index with 150% humidity.

Who wants to sit in that? Nobody.

michned
11-27-2005, 01:26 AM
I've sat in the upper deck in the BOB, which probably isn't much different from the one at Chase Field. It isn't like I don't know what I'm talking about when I say I liked the BOB better than I liked a lot of stadiums, many of which no longer exist. I've been to a lot of games at Miller Park, too, and I think the BOB was superior.

All I know is, I sat in the upper deck at BOB-Chase and I literally had vertigo for the first three innings. The ceiling beams were only 20 feet above me. Other than that though, it is a decent ballpark experience but is much better, IMHO, with the roof open.

86metsghost
11-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Shea Stadium sucks.

It's a dump, but it's OUR dump. :D:

Honestly, I don't see why so many people get on Shea. I think it's a beautiful Field. Sure the toilets are overflowing sometimes, but it aint that bad.

Ever been to Yankee Stadium? Its just as much a dump as Shea. History aside. Plus the seats there are cramp, like being in a can of sardines.

86metsghost
11-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Shea Stadium- Dirty, no character, horrible seating. Maybe they should spend some on a new park, or at least some renavations.

The Mets and Yankees are getting new parks in 2009. Ground breaks on "Ebbetts Field 2" in 2006 for the Mets, and the Yankees new Stadium should resemble the old more than the current one does (Steinbrenner butchered it in the 70's).

Should be nice.

TDog
11-27-2005, 01:42 AM
All I know is, I sat in the upper deck at BOB-Chase and I literally had vertigo for the first three innings. The ceiling beams were only 20 feet above me. Other than that though, it is a decent ballpark experience but is much better, IMHO, with the roof open.

Saying you don't like an aspect of a ballpark isn't that same as labeling it the worst. Your upper-deck description actually isn't much different from other new ballparks. It isn't the only place where the upper deck is steeper than New Comiskey's. I've sat in a lot of seats that people wouldn't like. In 2000, I cut my hand on the roof at New Comiskey (after thrusting my fist at an Oakland A's balk in the ninth inning of a game that Frank Thomas won with a double in the 10th). But I wouldn't label New Comiskey the worst ballpark in the majors.

Soxfanspcu11
11-27-2005, 03:29 AM
110 degree heat index with 150% humidity.

Who wants to sit in that? Nobody.

It's open air at the Marlins stadium, but maybe thats why no one goes.

Anyway, they could have at-least made their roof rectractable.

JUribe1989
11-27-2005, 03:36 AM
Wrigley is pure **** without a doubt, but the old Busch Stadium is my least favorite. I just found nothing interesting or good about that stadium. The Reds stadium is great! One of my favorites.

Coolpapa
11-27-2005, 04:03 AM
Fenway blows, ******* fans too

Parrothead
11-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Also they have 3 McDonald's in the stadium! Where else do you see that???

Skydome had that when I was there in the 80's. Not sure if they are still there though.

C-Dawg
11-27-2005, 10:14 AM
This isn't a complaint, really, about Miller Park, but a weird observation. Being there for a day game with the roof closed, is, well, weird. The light comes through those big windows and it reminds me of about 4th Grade when the schools here were keeping the lights off in the classrooms whenever possible to save energy. I know the park is a lot better with the roof open. Actually, I really need to go there for a summer night game, its probably really nice.

I think for 2006 I need to swing a trip to NY to see both those parks before they're gone.

antitwins13
11-27-2005, 11:14 PM

Well, I can't speak for Yankee Stadium, but I've been to quite a few ballparks and none is worse then Shea.

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 11:17 PM
This isn't a complaint, really, about Miller Park, but a weird observation. Being there for a day game with the roof closed, is, well, weird. The light comes through those big windows and it reminds me of about 4th Grade when the schools here were keeping the lights off in the classrooms whenever possible to save energy. I know the park is a lot better with the roof open. Actually, I really need to go there for a summer night game, its probably really nice.

I think for 2006 I need to swing a trip to NY to see both those parks before they're gone.

Absolutely. Miller is a nice park, but it has it's downfalls. However, it is definitely not the worst in MLB.

PKalltheway
11-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Great America Ballpark in Cincy..i know its new but its a hideous ballpark..and yes ive been there

Great American Ballpark is a great ballpark!:o: Besides, if you have been to Cinergy Field (the Reds' old stadium) you'll say the same thing too. Stinking bathrooms, cramped concourses, mile high upper deck, no cup holders, and until two years before they tore it down, no outside view and they had astroturf! Great American Ballpark has the Reds Hall of Fame that's open year round, great bleacher seats (some games for just $4.50) and comfortable upper deck seating in which you get a great view of the Ohio River and the hills of Kentucky. The ballpark is very accessible from the highway and parking is not difficult to find. It is not the best park in baseball, but it is most certainly far from the worst. Out of the five parks I have been to (Cinergy Field, Great American Ballpark, U.S. Cellular Field, Miller Park, and Wrigley Field) Great American ranks a strong third behind U.S. Cellular (the renovations are awesome!) and Miller Park (Wrigley and Cinergy are tied for the worst). The only bad thing about Great American is the team on the field.

Kroozah
11-28-2005, 01:32 AM
I been to Tropicana field and it was discusting, it was so humid instide. It felt like a baseball game was being played in a basement, concrete, ugly and the food was basic hotdog, buger and fries from what I recall... the floor you walk around was slick because of the humidity you you better watch your step.

I been to the Rockies ballpark and it resembles Pac Bell but on a larger scale, the ushers actually told me and let me go anywhere to take pictures... I was shocked.

And to the comment on ushers telling you when to sit.... its great thing, they do that at Pac Bell... you don't have morons walking in the walkways blocking your view while they are looking around for their seats. Its rather curtious if you ask me.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Tropicana Field. The fact that I was there to see Billy Koch blow a game by giving up a 3-run bomb in the ninth to Carl Crawford doesn't help the park either.

IlliniSox4Life
11-28-2005, 02:35 AM
I've been to four ball parks, Sox Park, Wrigley, Fenway, and Yankee Stadium.

Yankee Stadium was by far the worst. I had bleacher seats and they don't let you access any other parts of the stadium. Besides that, it's just run down and the view was horrible. If it was the same building but new, and they let bleachers access the rest of the park, it'd be much better. If it wasn't for the history, there's no reason to go to this park.

I actually liked Fenway. We had standing room only tickets, so the view was not that great, but it was our fault for not getting better seats. The area around Fenway, like fenway was posting, is pretty cool. It definately seems to fit in the city better than any ball park I've seen. I can't imagine a new field in Boston. I don't think Fenway would fit well in any other city but Boston, but it works there.

TDog
11-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Tropicana Field. The fact that I was there to see Billy Koch blow a game by giving up a 3-run bomb in the ninth to Carl Crawford doesn't help the park either.

Hard to argue that, especially with the memory of July 4, 2003 -- the last baseball game I saw on television, a few days after I saw the White Sox beat the Twins for the last game I saw in person.

I'll see a few games on television in March, though, after the World Series comes out on DVD.

goofymsfan
11-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Of the 7 parks I've been to, I'd have to say that the Oakland Colliseum was the worst as far as the ballpark itself, followed closely by Dodger Stadium. As for fan experience, I'd have to say Angel Stadium was the worst. The stadium itself is nice, but the fans are awful. Best I'd have to say is Safeco Field, the standing room only on the Centerfield landing is the best part.

AZChiSoxFan
11-28-2005, 10:38 AM

I'm not a big fan of Chase Field, but it's far from the worst stadium in baseball. Worse than the Metrodome??? Worse than whatever the stadium in Tampa/St. Pete is called???

GMAB

AZChiSoxFan
11-28-2005, 11:12 AM
That actually highlights one of the things that I hate most about the park formerly known as "The BOB". Going there is like a trip to the food court down at the mall...they've got McDonalds, Subway, Little Ceasers, TGIFridays, Garcias, etc... and some people have the nerve to still call Sox Park a "ballmall".

In many ways, the food at BOB is fitting, given that Phx is mostly just a collection of chain restaurants. There is however, a place in the BOB called "the Hungry Hill Sandwich Company." They only sell Italian Sausage, Polish Sausage, and Italian beef sandwiches. I think they have 4 or 5 locations in the stadium. It's not as good as what you get at USCF, but it's not too bad. The thing with the ushers is actually the one thing I really like about BOB. Nothing worse than a tie game, bases loaded, two out, 2-2 pitch, and someone wants to enter or exit the row I'm sitting in. :mad:

AZChiSoxFan
11-28-2005, 11:14 AM
I haven't been to the BOB since 1998, but I'm one who likes to walk around the ballpark and take pictures all over. I remember the ushers there being quite nasty when I tried to take a picture of the playing field from behind home plate. I literally had to do some serious arm twisting for them to allow me to take the picture I wanted between innings. Polar opposite of "fan-friendly", if you ask me!

IMO, the D-backs are not at all a "fan-friendly" organization.

AZChiSoxFan
11-28-2005, 11:17 AM
it is a decent ballpark experience but is much better, IMHO, with the roof open.

Totally agree.

chaerulez
11-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Yeah that place looks so ugly and the lighting looks awful. Just playing there 81 days would suck, seems to have no heart or emotion to it at all. That and the metrodome.