PDA

View Full Version : Corey Patterson on the White Sox?

kevin57
11-26-2005, 01:19 PM
This morning on the SCORE the "idea" was being tossed around of Corey Patterson playing for the Sox. The arguments were that we would need help in the OF defensively, that his skills are still excellent, and that what he needs is a change in venue and coaching to kick it all into gear. All I thought was :o: :mad:

eurotrash35
11-26-2005, 01:20 PM
no thanks

MarySwiss
11-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Yep. Pass. :cool:

Palehose13
11-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Ick.

Frankly Missing
11-26-2005, 01:25 PM
No Ex-Scrub factor please.

Hitmen77
11-26-2005, 01:31 PM
So, what's the criteria for the Score's "ideas"? Do they just spit out any half-witted dumbass suggestion to fill programming time?

kevin57
11-26-2005, 01:32 PM
So, what's the criteria for the Score's "ideas"? Do they just spit out any half-witted dumbass suggestion to fill programming time?

Umm...it's the SCORE...I think you answered your own question.:tongue:

buehrle4cy05
11-26-2005, 01:35 PM
:bong:

JUribe1989
11-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Must be a slow sports news day if they are talking about that.

Fredsox
11-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Well, let's take a look at this:
1. He's not coachable
2. He strikes out every third at bat
3. He can't bunt
4. He can't hit and run
5. He's an average outfielder
6. His feelings get hurt when someone yells at him

So tell me again, why would we be interested in this player as opposed to one of our AAA or AA outfielders?

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-26-2005, 01:47 PM
i love this forum

Joosh
11-26-2005, 01:59 PM

Well, that isn't really fair to say, we are ACTUALLY without a starting CF.

It was a suggestion. Have we become that bad as fans that we criticize everything ever said on Sports Radio?

TomBradley72
11-26-2005, 02:03 PM
:chunks

No way.

Fredsox
11-26-2005, 02:19 PM

It was a suggestion. Have we become that bad as fans that we criticize everything ever said on Sports Radio?

I think the consensus of this board is that if Patterson is not good enough to be the starting CF for the cubs he is certainly not good enough for the White Sox. Really, if we sit back and look at this, it's a pretty poor suggestion.

ChiSoxRowand
11-26-2005, 02:20 PM
It's no big deal if it was just an "idea" and not an actual rumor. I wouldn't touch Corey with a ten foot pole, but it would be cool if he came to us and became a perennial all-star.

Dan Mega
11-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Yuck!

CluelessJoe1919
I think the consensus of this board is that if Patterson is not good enough to be the starting CF for the cubs he is certainly not good enough for the White Sox. Really, if we sit back and look at this, it's a pretty poor suggestion.If the Cubs are gonna give him away, I'll take him. Let's see what Greg Walker and Ozzie can do with him. Heck, we've got adequate backup, anyway.

LongLiveFisk
NO.

Chips
11-26-2005, 02:35 PM
If the Cubs are gonna give him away, I'll take him. Let's see what Greg Walker and Ozzie can do with him. Heck, we've got adequate backup, anyway.

Are you kidding me?

NO ****ING WAY.

veeter
11-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Fugetabowdit

mdep524
11-26-2005, 02:47 PM
It's so easy to bash Corey Patterson, but his problems with the Cubs are mostly the Cubs' fault. They had insane expectations for him, which were totally unfair, as they hyped him up to be the second coming of Willie Mays. Then they told him to be a leadoff hitter, which he very clearly isn't. Then they rode him really hard when he wasn't performing, which only intensified the problems. What Corey needs is a change of scenery and some good coaches. The Cubs staff is awful, led by Dusty Baker- Baker couldn't have handled the situation any worse.

Staying in Chicago with the Sox is probably not the change of scenery the guy needs. But he has talent. Everybody likes to make fun of him just because he failed with the Cubs, but if you let him hit 7th in your line up he'd play a good CF, hit 20 HRs and bring some speed to the table. Just because he can't bunt or walk with the Cubs doesn't mean he is useless.

White Sox? I can't see KW doing this, Patterson needs to get the hell out of Chicago. If the Cubs are giving him away practically for free there's some team out there that can nurture him into a good ballplayer.

LongLiveFisk
11-26-2005, 02:51 PM
He strikes out wayyyy too much. Forget it.

TornLabrum
11-26-2005, 02:55 PM
This morning on the SCORE the "idea" was being tossed around of Corey Patterson playing for the Sox. The arguments were that we would need help in the OF defensively, that his skills are still excellent, and that what he needs is a change in venue and coaching to kick it all into gear. All I thought was :o: :mad:

The idea makes me want to toss.

SOXSINCE'70
11-26-2005, 02:57 PM

"White Sox Weakly"-Saturdays at 11 AM with this loser??
:ass
This should answer your question.

And as far as KKKKKKKorey on the Sox,hit it,Hawk.

:hawk
"No".

SOecks
11-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Talent or not, I don't think he has the attitude or work ethic that is so coveted by KW and Ozzie for their team. I wouldn't take him for free honestly right now. All it would do is take potential at bats away from our many young, talented outfielders. No thank you. If you want to talk about Cubs players coming to the Sox though, I would however take a Jeromy Burnitz in a fill in/pinch hitter role if we could sign him for cheap. He'd be an upgrade from Timo IMO but probably too expensive.

Ventura Fan 23
11-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Correy Patterson is garbage as hell. Hey Flubs, don't throw your junk in OUR back yard!

Jjav829
11-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Corey Patterson on the White Sox?

As what? Do we need a new batboy? :?:

samram
11-26-2005, 03:08 PM
As what? Do we need a new batboy? :?:

Maybe we do. You know how these batboys get after a World Series win.

Banix12
11-26-2005, 03:35 PM
If the cubs would be willing to eat his entire contract and take a bag of balls back in return then sure, i'd take him as a fourth or fifth OF. If it came down to a battle between Patterson and Borchard for fourth OF, I'm probably taking Patterson. That is if the Cubs ate the contract to make the salaries even, if not then no thanks.

I still wouldn't rank him above the upper prospects in the sox organization so I would never give him a starting job.

I think there is talent in Corey Patterson to be untapped, the Cubs just made some God Awful decisions when developing him.
1. Rushing him to the major leagues after I believe only a year and a half of minor league ball.
2. Trying to turn him into a leadoff man the second he got to the majors when he had been a middle of the order batter his whole life. He was a #3 hitter in the minors I believe.
3. Dusty Baker asking him to do a lot of things on the field that he cannot do. Don't ask a player to do a thing he cannot do because you are just setting him up to fail.

Certainly Patterson deserves a good chunk of blame himself for his failings, probably the majority. However, in the right situation I think he could blossom into a solid 5,6, or 7 hitter. In the 9 hole on some AL teams he could be very effective becuase he wouldn't jam up the basepaths for the leadoff man. However this is really not the time for the sox to be messing around with projects of his scope. Probably best to work with the guys in the organization..

Wimpy
11-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Was this another great Jesse Rodgers topic?

LongLiveFisk
11-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Was this another great Jesse Rodgers topic?

:tealpolice: :tealtutor:

Sorry---I've always wanted to do that. :D:

nccwsfan
11-26-2005, 03:48 PM
:bundy

Uhhhh, no.

DumpJerry
11-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Sure, bring him over. After one week of Ozzie, he'll leave baseball for good.

sircaffey1
11-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Jim Bullinger for Patterson...take it or leave it.

Hitmen77
11-26-2005, 07:58 PM
I'll take my chances with Brian Anderson over Corey Patterson.

If the Score is going to suggest that the world champion White Sox need to take the Cubs' rejects, then that's fair game for us to criticize and it doesn't make us bad fans to do so.

ShoelessJoeS
11-26-2005, 08:31 PM
If the Score is going to suggest that the world champion White Sox need to take the Cubs' rejects, then that's fair game for us to criticize and it doesn't make us bad fans to do so.

"Bias? What bias?"

Tragg
11-26-2005, 08:55 PM
I'll say this for him - it's not a great idea to put a rookie at lead-off hitter, almost in any circumstances.
I certainly wouldn't give up any more than an organizational minor leaguer for him.

pissonthecubs
11-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I'll take a pass on Patterson. Another one that all you have heard about him the last 4 or 5 years is this is the next can't miss prospect. Micky Mantle. And all he has done is strikeout after strikeout. I don't even like his glove in centerfield. I've seen him miss a good dozen balls hit right to him or where he has to move to his right or left. And if that wasn't enough, he is one of the dumbest base runners I have ever seen, so his speed does him no good except to get him back to the dugout faster after getting thrown out at second.

gobears1987
11-26-2005, 10:23 PM
"White Sox Weakly"-Saturdays at 11 AM with this loser??
This should answer your question.

And as far as KKKKKKKorey on the Sox,hit it,Hawk.

"No".
Better yet
"Where's he gonna play?"

slavko
11-26-2005, 10:47 PM
The poor guy had to suffer through trying to be a leadoff man because of an organizational failure. The team had failed to develop or sign anything resembling a leadoff man and Corey seems to fit the mold because he can run so he was thrown into the breach. I hope he goes somewhere else where he can be coached and turns into the next Lou Brock. Not here, because we need playing time for our young OF's. Good luck CP.

Banix12
11-26-2005, 10:51 PM
The poor guy had to suffer through trying to be a leadoff man because of an organizational failure. The team had failed to develop or sign anything resembling a leadoff man and Corey seems to fit the mold because he can run so he was thrown into the breach. I hope he goes somewhere else where he can be coached and turns into the next Lou Brock. Not here, because we need playing time for our young OF's. Good luck CP.
I can second that

SOXSINCE'70
11-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Better yet
"Where's he gonna play?"

Thank you.:cool: :D: :cool: :D:

Ron Karkovice
11-26-2005, 11:05 PM

Yeah, that is better than simply saying "no." Even though I don't love the guy, he had a really hard year last year. Hopefully, a different NL team picks him up and he clicks and hurts the cubs when his team plays them.