PDA

View Full Version : New Sox Rumor

Whitesox4ever
11-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Paul White was doing an interview on XM radio. He mention that the Sox and the Giants are talking about Randy Winn to the Sox for Damaso Marte..

The Deacon
11-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Paul White was doing an interview on XM radio. He mention that the Sox and the Giants are talking about Randy Winn to the Sox for Damaso Marte..

There's our #2 hitter. Sounds pretty good to me.

The Dude

Rumors belong in Whats the score?

KRS1

1.Whats the score?

2.Terrible trade, I hate Winn and everything he brings to the table.

munchman33
11-26-2005, 12:43 PM
1.Whats the score?

2.Terrible trade, I hate Winn and everything he brings to the table.

That's a little harsh. Winn has good speed and is an excellent contact hitter. He's the prototypical #2. I say get him.

Ron Karkovice
11-26-2005, 12:46 PM
That's better than I thought we could ever get for Marte.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 12:51 PM

As long as it is not Darren Lewis or Armando Rios!!!

Seriously, this is a good salary flip for the Sox, fills the 2 hole and provides insurance for Anderson-Owens-Young in CF.

Its a win-win IMO. Just need to find another LH reliever to fit into the Marte slot without overspending like the Cubs did with Eyre and Howry.

OzzieBall2005
11-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Last year: .306/20/63 w/ a .391 OBP.

I'd take it in a heartbeat, but would not want to throw all the lefty work on cotts and i do not see anyone worthwhile other than say, a mike myers. a plus with him is that whenever hed come out of the pen nancy would throw on the theme music from halloween.

mdep524
11-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Ick. You want to talk about band defense? Winn is HORRIBLE!! One of the worst defensive CF'ers I have ever seen. Offensively, he's not bad. I remember wanting him a few years ago.

His '05 line: .306 avg 20 HRs 19 SB .360 OBP

Those numbers are impressive- first of all I didn't know he had 20 HR power- specially playing in SF's pitcher friendly park. The OBP is great as well. He's 31 years old and bats switch.

Getting him for Marte wouldn't be a bad trade value-wise, but I shudder to think of him in CF with Pods in left. If we're going to be that careless with the defense, Nomar has to be an option as well.

batmanZoSo
11-26-2005, 01:11 PM
I used to hope for the Sox to go after him when he was with Tampa Bay. But he was pretty brutal for the most part as I remember with Seattle. I don't think I'd mind, though, especially if he put up last year's numbers again. Anything that allows Iguchi to bat down in the order and hit for more power is going to make the team better.

JUribe1989
11-26-2005, 01:13 PM
I say this with all the confidence in the world. A Winn for Marte trade would be the biggest steal in White Sox history. Randy Winn hit almost everything he saw in September and was the hardest out on the Giants. He's a great fielder with some pop and good speed. Winn is unbelievable and getting him for Marte is something the Giants would never do. They are about to sign him long term I heard and they would not want Marte. He hit .439 in September, and was Player of the Month! He is absolutely clutch too. The Giants will not get rid of Randy Winn.

A. Cavatica
We could use Winn as a fourth OF. No way do I want him starting.

JUribe1989
We could use Winn as a fourth OF. No way do I want him starting.

He had a better average than all of our starting outfielders. It wouldn't make sense to use him as a 4th OF.

Palehose13
11-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. I'm wondering if Winn being :brutal" in Seattle has anythign to do with how large the OF is there.

Ol' No. 2
11-26-2005, 01:30 PM
I say this with all the confidence in the world. A Winn for Marte trade would be the biggest steal in White Sox history. Randy Winn hit almost everything he saw in September and was the hardest out on the Giants. He's a great fielder with some pop and good speed. Winn is unbelievable and getting him for Marte is something the Giants would never do. They are about to sign him long term I heard and they would not want Marte. He hit .439 in September, and was Player of the Month! He is absolutely clutch too. The Giants will not get rid of Randy Winn.Yep. Why in hell would the Giants trade Randy Winn for Damaso Marte? To replace Scott Eyre? Please.:rolleyes:

SoxFan76
11-26-2005, 01:30 PM
I can't really speak for Winn's defense, but those offensive numbers would make him the best contact hitter on the team instantly. I don't see how you can turn that down. You bat Winn 2nd and move Iguchi down in the order and let him show off his power more. Plus, you dump Marte.

That means KW needs to pick up another lefty reliver though, because I don't think there are many viable options in the minors right now...off the top of my head I think Munoz is the "best" option.

buehrle4cy05
11-26-2005, 01:37 PM
That would be a great trade. Winn was an All-Star a few years ago in the AL with Tampa. He also would be another nice lefty bat in the order.

Whitesox4ever
11-26-2005, 01:38 PM
The player I would like to see the Sox get would be Mark Kotsay.

JUribe1989
11-26-2005, 01:39 PM
The player I would like to see the Sox get would be Mark Kotsay.

The Yankees inquired about him and Billy Beane said it would take Chien Mien Wang and Robinson Cano to get him. No chance.

chaerulez
11-26-2005, 01:43 PM
That would be a great trade. Winn was an All-Star a few years ago in the AL with Tampa. He also would be another nice lefty bat in the order.

Although that really only happened because of the every team needs someone i the AS game rule, Winn is still a solid player. I agree with palehose, I don't think Winn was sent out from Seattle for being "brutal", they just had other needs. He can't play CF we all know that, but he wouldn't be too bad in LF, if he did start Anderson could replace him in the late innings. I do like him as a #2 hitter, he puts the ball in play and to all areas of the field.

voodoochile
11-26-2005, 01:59 PM
I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. I'm wondering if Winn being :brutal" in Seattle has anythign to do with how large the OF is there.

If he's got speed and he's got the desire to learn, he's coachable and the Sox have some pretty decent OF coaches as well a Jermaine Dye who is like having an OF coach playing - he just knows his stuff and has a great reputation with other players. In fact, I expect Dye to become a coach when he retires.

MadetoOrta
11-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Might be a good pick up. NOt sure. I don't pretend to be a know-it-all. What's his contract status? This might not only provide some insurance re Anderson, it also provides some insurance in JD gets hurt. He's been injured before. I'd be supportive.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I can't really speak for Winn's defense, but those offensive numbers would make him the best contact hitter on the team instantly. I don't see how you can turn that down. You bat Winn 2nd and move Iguchi down in the order and let him show off his power more. Plus, you dump Marte.

That means KW needs to pick up another lefty reliver though, because I don't think there are many viable options in the minors right now...off the top of my head I think Munoz is the "best" option.

I would probably go with Corwin Malone over Munoz, despite his injury history. He seems to be rounding back into form, and has better stuff than Munoz, who relies too much on off-speed stuff. I still have nightmares about his start in Montreal in which he gave up 8 or 9 runs in one inning plus.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 02:36 PM
The Yankees inquired about him and Billy Beane said it would take Chien Mien Wang and Robinson Cano to get him. No chance.

If I was Cashman, I wouldn´t trade Wang OR Cano straight up for Kotsay. Beane is nuts if he thinks he can get anything like that for a rich man´s Jeremy Reed.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 02:38 PM
If he's got speed and he's got the desire to learn, he's coachable and the Sox have some pretty decent OF coaches as well a Jermaine Dye who is like having an OF coach playing - he just knows his stuff and has a great reputation with other players. In fact, I expect Dye to become a coach when he retires.

Winn made $3.75 million last year, so you´re look at a Juan Pierre type contract.

As far as Dye, a lot like Harold Baines. Very quiet, well respected, have never heard a bad word said about him. Same thing could be said for Thome as well.

veeter
11-26-2005, 02:47 PM
I used to hope for the Sox to go after him when he was with Tampa Bay. But he was pretty brutal for the most part as I remember with Seattle. I don't think I'd mind, though, especially if he put up last year's numbers again. Anything that allows Iguchi to bat down in the order and hit for more power is going to make the team better. Although this may be true, it's kind of funny. We won the world series with Iguchi batting second. It's hard to get better than that. I understand the concept but Iguchi defined the two hole better than any hitter I've seen in a while.

SOecks
11-26-2005, 02:49 PM
I look at it this way. Marte NEEDS to be traded this offseason and if we can get somebody even decent for him, I'm all for it. I think he has worlds of talent but at this point it seems to me that he needs a change of scenery. We had a pretty short fuse with him (rightfully so) at the end of the season and the booing really got to him. His stock will only go down if we don't trade him before the season starts.

SOecks
11-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Winn made $3.75 million last year, so you´re look at a Juan Pierre type contract.

As far as Dye, a lot like Harold Baines. Very quiet, well respected, have never heard a bad word said about him. Same thing could be said for Thome as well.

But we won't have to give up the talent that would be required to get Pierre. Also I don't know what Winn's contract length is still but isn't Pierre a free agent at the end of the 06 season? So you could be giving up a lot of talent for a rent a player with him.

Jjav829
11-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Paul White was doing an interview on XM radio.

That's all I needed to hear. Nothing that is talked about on XM radio ever happens.

Besides, last I heard the Giants were working on a contract extension for Winn.

Ventura Fan 23
11-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, if the rumors are indeed true, that's awesome in my mind. I mean, Marte did nothing for us in the times we needed him most, plus Wynn would be a great fit with the Sox. He's a potential 20-20 guy.

Palehose13
11-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Although this may be true, it's kind of funny. We won the world series with Iguchi batting second. It's hard to get better than that. I understand the concept but Iguchi defined the two hole better than any hitter I've seen in a while.

Iguchi did a great job, no doubt, but I would LOVE to see him unleashed.

nccwsfan
11-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Although this may be true, it's kind of funny. We won the world series with Iguchi batting second. It's hard to get better than that. I understand the concept but Iguchi defined the two hole better than any hitter I've seen in a while.

Exactly. I would like a Pierre/Gathright/Winn type on the team, but I still wouldn't move Iguchi from the #2 spot. He did virtually everything he was asked to do in 2005 and I wouldn't want to necessarily mess with that. Now putting a speedster at #9 and creating havoc with a 9/1/2 would be nice...

Winn for Marte would be a good trade, but I can't see that one happening.

Flight #24
11-26-2005, 06:17 PM
:hawk

"Where's he gonna play?"

Seriously. Randy Winn as CF is a serious downgrade in D from Rowand/Anderson. It also continues to slow Anderson's development. It is more of a sure thing offensively, but that's a pretty important defensive position that we're regressing at with this.

As a 4th OF.....well, I think Marte's worth more to the team than a 4th OF.

sircaffey1
11-26-2005, 06:51 PM
This would be an awesome trade. Marte sucks and not having to pitch him is an upgrade in itself.

Also, about having Iguchi stay in the #2 spot because he was so good at it, what's to say Winn can't be just as good? Iguchi would be a better player down in the order as he can unleash his arsinal. If we can get a #2 hitter just as good, which I believe Winn to be, then there is no reason to keep Iguchi in the #2 spot just because we won with him there. Unleash the beast!

Chips
11-26-2005, 07:54 PM
As a 4th OF.....well, I think Marte's worth more to the team than a 4th OF.

Marte is worth more, all his problems were in his head. If he can clear his head and pitch the way he did in 2003, we will be fine. I'd like to keep him on the team.

SOX ADDICT '73
11-26-2005, 08:20 PM
...If he can clear his head and pitch the way he did in 2003...
Which we've all been saying since, well, 2003.

ShoelessJoeS
11-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Which we've all been saying since, well, 2003.
Exactly. Marte has not been able to find the strike zone for some time now. How long is it going to take for "his head to clear?"

broker3d
11-26-2005, 08:28 PM
that would be a very impressive trade for KW.

Tragg
11-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Yep. Why in hell would the Giants trade Randy Winn for Damaso Marte? To replace Scott Eyre? Please.:rolleyes: Probably come reasonably cheap - he's always traded reasonably cheaply.
Not a bad player to target, although I'd like to see a young outfielder get plenty of PT. Winn isn't a great CF,although much better than Pierre. He'd b a nice addition with good OBP (at least for this team it's a good OBP), a touch of speed and a switch hitter. He's also good for double digit home runs, which is a nice touch. Could play some CF, relieve Pods in left. Major upgrade from Timo Perez and he'd get a lot more PT.

Half Cocked Jack
11-27-2005, 02:19 AM
This would be an incredible trade. Seems unbelievable to me. There'd have to be more on the table than just Marte, at least some prospects or something.

batmanZoSo
11-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Exactly. Marte has not been able to find the strike zone for some time now. How long is it going to take for "his head to clear?"

Well he did pitch fairly successfully in the World Series. And the guy's been flat out dominant in the past. It could just come back on like a switch. He's not old, you never know. Now, yeah I'd trade him for a .300 hitting starting center fielder, but in reality that's probably not going to happen.

HotelWhiteSox
11-27-2005, 02:34 AM
I'm hearing Marte and Pierre to the Giants, Winn and Mota to the White Sox, McCarthy to the Marlins

ChiSoxlukes
11-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Let's go get him KW. Is BA really ready for the majors???? Winn should be our #2 hitter. Let Iguchi hit 6th or 7th. Marte had a good ERA but he can be replaced and he is a headcase. Cotts is ready to step up for a bigger role. Thome/Konerko, Thome/Thomas will bang Pods and Winn home after they both single and steal, putting them on 2nd and 3rd.

caulfield12
11-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm hearing Marte and Pierre to the Giants, Winn and Mota to the White Sox, McCarthy to the Marlins

What Mota? Manny? Isn´t Guillermo on the Red Sox now as part of the Beckett trade?

There´s no way that we are dealing McCarthy.

Optipessimism
11-27-2005, 03:46 PM
This would be an incredible trade. Seems unbelievable to me. There'd have to be more on the table than just Marte, at least some prospects or something.

SF overvalues pitchers for some reason. Just look at what they gave up for Latoya and what they were asking for Schmidt in July.