PDA

View Full Version : This Furcal to the Cubs rumor was made for this forum.

It's Time
11-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I didn't know if I should laugh at the guy who wrote this or believe it, since the Cubs are spending like crazy this winter. The site is fairly reputable so this is just off the wall. Especially the part about being: One of the "greatest infields in the history of Baseball":?:

James Renwick - Scout.com
November 26, 2005 at 4:10am ET
What moves are necessary? The bullpen seems to have been shored up, the rotation is...well, what the rotation is going to be. Center field? Right? How about shortstop. ITI gives you the latest gossip from the GMs, and they might just put the Cubs infield among the elite in the history of the game. AS THE FREE PREVIEW WEEKEND CONTINUES ITI gives you the good stuff.

If you felt a little warmer Friday, that's because the Hot Stove came to town, in a big big way.

ITI has learned from a source close to the Cubs that free agent shortstop Raphael Furcal and the Cubs have all but finalized a deal that will bring the shortstop to Chicago for the next five years, with a mutual option for a sixth year. The source told ITI that the deal could pay Furcal as much as $100 million including the sixth year and "significant performance bonuses" that included winning a batting title, the stolen base title, and a bonus if he plays in 150 games for each of the first three years of his contract.

The news that Furcal was coming to the North Side would have easily been enough, but our source also had one more juicy bit of info.

The Cubs might make one more deal that could give them arguably the greatest infield in the history of baseball.

The rumor goes that the Cubs are close to finalizing a seven player deal with the Texas Rangers that would bring Alfonso Soriano and Kevin Mench to the Cubs in exchange for Jerome Williams , Todd Walker , and three minor leaguers, one of whom is believed to be right hander David Aardsma , and another shortstop Ronny Cedeno . According to our source the two clubs have agreed on which players would be dealt, but what is holding it up is exactly what kind of deal Soriano will want in Chicago.

The Deacon
11-26-2005, 12:29 PM
I didn't know if I should laugh at the guy who wrote this or believe it, since the Cubs are spending like crazy this winter. The site is fairly reputable so this is just off the wall. Especially the part about being: One of the "greatest infields in the history of Baseball":?:

James Renwick - Scout.com
November 26, 2005 at 4:10am ET
What moves are necessary? The bullpen seems to have been shored up, the rotation is...well, what the rotation is going to be. Center field? Right? How about shortstop. ITI gives you the latest gossip from the GMs, and they might just put the Cubs infield among the elite in the history of the game. AS THE FREE PREVIEW WEEKEND CONTINUES ITI gives you the good stuff.

If you felt a little warmer Friday, that's because the Hot Stove came to town, in a big big way.

ITI has learned from a source close to the Cubs that free agent shortstop Raphael Furcal and the Cubs have all but finalized a deal that will bring the shortstop to Chicago for the next five years, with a mutual option for a sixth year. The source told ITI that the deal could pay Furcal as much as $100 million including the sixth year and "significant performance bonuses" that included winning a batting title, the stolen base title, and a bonus if he plays in 150 games for each of the first three years of his contract.

The news that Furcal was coming to the North Side would have easily been enough, but our source also had one more juicy bit of info.

The Cubs might make one more deal that could give them arguably the greatest infield in the history of baseball.

The rumor goes that the Cubs are close to finalizing a seven player deal with the Texas Rangers that would bring Alfonso Soriano and Kevin Mench to the Cubs in exchange for Jerome Williams , Todd Walker , and three minor leaguers, one of whom is believed to be right hander David Aardsma , and another shortstop Ronny Cedeno . According to our source the two clubs have agreed on which players would be dealt, but what is holding it up is exactly what kind of deal Soriano will want in Chicago.

Furcal signing for 5years/100 Million?? That's completely absurd. And this site is reputable??

It's Time
11-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Furcal signing for 5years/100 Million?? That's completely absurd. And this site is reputable??

That's the funny part. Scout.com has info on all Sports teams and they generally do not post ridiculous articles. Then they come up with this one and I about spit my Coffee out. This is an absurd amount of money, regardless if it's "incentive based".

The Deacon
11-26-2005, 12:36 PM
That's the funny part. Scout.com has info on all Sports teams and they generally do not post ridiculous articles. Then they come up with this one and I about spit my Coffee out. This is an absurd amount of money, regardless if it's "incentive based".

It's funny b/c some called in this morning and asked Bruce Levine if the cubs were signing Furcal for $100 million. Must have read it the same place...

Fredsox
11-26-2005, 12:41 PM
I can't believe that any infield with Soriano in it would be considered the best at anything.

ChiSoxPatF
11-26-2005, 12:59 PM
:bong:
What is he smoking?

Taliesinrk
11-26-2005, 01:02 PM

Perhaps I'm wrong.. but the way I read it is that it could be $100 mil if a 6th year was included.. no?

Banix12
11-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Perhaps I'm wrong.. but the way I read it is that it could be $100 mil if a 6th year was included.. no?

I think you are right but even that would be a crazy amount to overpay Furcal

Clembasbal
11-26-2005, 09:05 PM
I wonder if the source was a guy listening to Hendry talk on his cell phone?

Taliesinrk
11-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I think you are right but even that would be a crazy amount to overpay Furcal

but it's also still w/ incentives.. who knows how much those account for..

Tragg
11-26-2005, 10:14 PM
6 years 100 million means he's making over $16 million a year. Furcal? No way.
Maybe 5 years $50 million, and that's a tad high really.

nccwsfan
11-26-2005, 10:50 PM
There is no chance that this could be true....$100 million over 6 years? For Furcal? True the Cubs overspent big time on Eyre and Howry, but this would be insanity.

Brian26
11-26-2005, 11:39 PM
6 years 100 million means he's making over $16 million a year. Furcal? No way.

Actually, it's a tad under $17 million a year, which is completely insane. I hope they sign him for that amount too. I'd love to see that franchise handcuffed by a ridiculous contract like the Sosa one for the next six years.

Mark my words. If the Soriano deal happens, the scrubs won't win 75 games next year.

MadetoOrta
11-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Suppose this is true, what the %$# is their payroll at for next year? $150 million? They are #$%%ing desparate. Wow. All this will do is put more pressure on them and they will again fail. I love it. I almost hope its true.

daveeym
11-27-2005, 01:29 AM
They are #$%%ing desparate. That about sums it up if this happens. I'd love to hear their BS spin on it as well. "We're just giving the fans what they want. The extra seats next year will cover the costs."

socko82
11-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Furcal might turn out to be great with the Flubs but I see a couple red flags the sheep seem to be ignoring where it could totally blow up in their faces.

Furcal already has 2 DUI's. He was able to stay out of trouble last year which just happened to be his contract year while playing in a Bobby Cox no-nonsense clubhouse. Now he could be going to Dusty Baker's zero accountability clubhouse with more money than he can possibly spend with most of his nights free in the middle of a major party zone. Can anyone say Kyle Farnsworth?

CanBuehrleWait
11-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Furcal already has 2 DUI's. He was able to stay out of trouble last year which just happened to be his contract year while playing in a Bobby Cox no-nonsense clubhouse. Now he could be going to Dusty Baker's zero accountability clubhouse with more money than he can possibly spend with most of his nights free in the middle of a major party zone. Can anyone say Kyle Farnsworth?

Ha could that have been said any better?
:roflmao::roflmao:

SoxSpeed22
11-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Mark my words. If the Soriano deal happens, the scrubs won't win 75 games next year.They're brutal enough defensively as it is.
Jim Hendry should've listened to Teki's thread.:cool:

MarySwiss
11-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Maybe the Flubs are trying to win the "Most Money Spent Stupidly" trophy for 2006. Anyone think of that?:D:

havelj
11-27-2005, 05:20 PM
The best infield in the Cubs division "ever" has been:

St. Louis 2004
1B: Pujols (better than Lee.)
2B: Womack (solid 2004.)
SS: Renteria (better than Furcal.)
3B: Rolen (better than Ramirez.)

Also...using the term, "greatest in history of baseball" is a fantasy league-driven term. I think we heard the term, "best rotation in the history of baseball" in 2004 with Prior, Wood, Maddux and Zambrano. Ooops.

jabrch
11-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Here's some background....

James Renwick just took over Inside the Ivy as the managing editor from the guy who ran it for a long time. My brother used to hang out there. Renwick knows nobody and nothing, and is just trying to make a splash.

SOecks
11-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Maybe the Flubs are trying to win the "Most Money Spent Stupidly" trophy for 2006. Anyone think of that?:D:

Exactly. And I'm sure they're going to put it right next to their yearly "Chicago Attendance Trophy".

veeter
11-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Suppose this is true, what the %$# is their payroll at for next year? $150 million? They are #$%%ing desparate. Wow. All this will do is put more pressure on them and they will again fail. I love it. I almost hope its true.My thoughts exactly.

WestSideWhiteSox
11-29-2005, 02:33 PM
While we're back on the fun subject of Cub-bashing, what's the single biggest reason you hate them? Mine is undoubtedly their fans' inability to assess the team objectively. It's like listening to Fox news spout off about its "Fair and Balanced" reporting, for Pete's sake. I once had a Cubs fan tell me that Scott Servais vs. Jorge Posada was a wash. Up until then, the guy had said enough other intelligent things to make me think he knew his baseball, but that just ended the conversation. How can you respond with any decency to such a comment?

palehozenychicty
11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
i hate the fact that "Mr. Cub", Ernie Banks, tried to land an apartment close to the stadium and the racist landlord refused to rent to him. Therefore, he moved to the southside. I also hate the fact that they continually put out inferior teams and people view them as a storied franchise.

peeonwrigley
11-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Sportscenter says the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting Furcal is leaning towards Flubdom. Apparently the Cubs' 5 yr offer was "significantly" higher in money, and is also more years.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/1105/30furcal.html

(req's registration or bugmenot.com)

Going out on a limb here:

Braves win their division w/ or w/out Furcal.

Cubs lose theirs w/ or w/out Furcal.

It's Time
11-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Sportscenter says the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting Furcal is leaning towards Flubdom. Apparently the Cubs' 5 yr offer was "significantly" higher in money, and is also more years.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/1105/30furcal.html

(req's registration or bugmenot.com)

Going out on a limb here:

Braves win their division w/ or w/out Furcal.

Cubs lose theirs w/ or w/out Furcal.

Not surprising at all. Like it or not, he is a stud Shortstop. So much for that bull**** $100 million figure. ESPN will be creaming in their pants when they officially announce it.

The Cubs ability to just toss money around has it's ****ing benefits.

getonbckthr
11-30-2005, 02:13 AM
100 million dollars could be a collection of things. Maybe if he wins the batting title in 06 his 07 contract instead of being 10 million would be 11 million. If he again wins it in 07 his 08 contract wouldnt be 10 million or 11 million but maybe 14 million. Who knows how many of those are in there like SB's and that stuff. Its believable to me. Also remember in baseball when it comes to "best of" comments its referred to offense unless defense is noted.

It's Time
11-30-2005, 02:21 AM
100 million dollars could be a collection of things. Maybe if he wins the batting title in 06 his 07 contract instead of being 10 million would be 11 million. If he again wins it in 07 his 08 contract wouldnt be 10 million or 11 million but maybe 14 million. Who knows how many of those are in there like SB's and that stuff. Its believable to me. Also remember in baseball when it comes to "best of" comments its referred to offense unless defense is noted.

Regardless of what the money actually is, it appears the Cubs blew Atlanta's offer out of the water. They must have a ****ing money printing machine!

MUsoxfan
11-30-2005, 02:24 AM
They must have a ****ing money printing machine!

In case you're new to Chicago, they....do. They just use it selectively. I still would be surprised to see Furcal play 84 games in Chicago this year

It's Time
11-30-2005, 02:30 AM
In case you're new to Chicago, they....do.

I was pointing out that they have spent huge money already and who knows how much Furcal is getting. ****! They have spent this much cash in two ****ing weeks.

3.6M on Eyre
4.0M on Howry
10M on Furcal, maybe more?

MUsoxfan
11-30-2005, 02:33 AM
I was pointing out that they have spent huge money already and who knows how much Furcal is getting. ****! They have spent this much cash in two ****ing weeks.

3.6M on Eyre
4.0M on Howry
10M on Furcal, maybe more?

They are a money machine. They are on a financial equivalent of Boston/NYY. They'd better overpay if they want to show their fans a commitment to winning. If I were I Cub fan I'd say there is no better time than the now to overpay and bring attention back to the northside

peeonwrigley
11-30-2005, 02:46 AM
They are a money machine. They are on a financial equivalent of Boston/NYY. They'd better overpay if they want to show their fans a commitment to winning. If I were I Cub fan I'd say there is no better time than the now to overpay and bring attention back to the northside

Slammy! came off the books this year. They're completely and utterly desperate after the White Sox won, and then made a splash w/ Thome. They've overpaid on the 2 relievers. Sounds like they're going to give Furcal a lot... can't say overpaid until the details comes out and he actually signs something.

Quite an eventful offseason in Chicago.

Flight #24
11-30-2005, 02:44 PM
FWIW, Offman on SCR reported "his sources" say Furcal stays with the Braves.