PDA

View Full Version : Is Nomar a possibility?

hose
11-26-2005, 10:24 AM
My initial feeling is no, but if Paulie does end up signing elsewhere may be Nomar could be a possibility. :duck: it's just a thought

1b- Thome

DH/3b- Nomar

Crede's back + Scott Boras = he gone by 2007 if not sooner.

Nomar filling in at 3b from time to time could be insurance for Joe's back flaring up.

Joosh
11-26-2005, 10:28 AM
I'd rather pay Frank to sit on the DL for 140 games than Nomar.

No thanks.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 10:38 AM
My initial feeling is no, but if Paulie does end up signing elsewhere may be Nomar could be a possibility. :duck: it's just a thought

1b- Thome

DH/3b- Nomar

Crede's back + Scott Boras = he gone by 2007 if not sooner.

Nomar filling in at 3b from time to time could be insurance for Joe's back flaring up.

I think I have seen three or four mentions of this possibility in the print media recently.

It makes sense because he is a legit 3 hitter when healthy, we could get him with an incentives-based contract and he could even be a replacement for Crede...so thatīs three pluses right there.

The versatility OG would have with the infield and the fact the Sox would have leverage with Boras are the two biggest factors, and the reason KW would make this move 90 times out of 100 before re-signing Thomas.

SoxFan76
11-26-2005, 11:37 AM
This seems like another step backwards for the Sox. You're sacrificing defense (if he plays 3rd) and he's not exactly a great clubhouse guy. There are better options out there.

The Deacon
11-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I think I have seen three or four mentions of this possibility in the print media recently.

It makes sense because he is a legit 3 hitter when healthy, we could get him with an incentives-based contract and he could even be a replacement for Crede...so thatīs three pluses right there.

The versatility OG would have with the infield and the fact the Sox would have leverage with Boras are the two biggest factors, and the reason KW would make this move 90 times out of 100 before re-signing Thomas.

I think Nomar makes alot of sense and I've been arguing for him at work for some time. He has White Sox written all over him, actually. Injured the last couple of years, everyone has written him off, and he is supposedly a clubhouse cancer? Sign him up! He can flat out hit when healthy. The Sox need a big average guy in the lineup. ANd he would add incredible versatility.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 12:17 PM
This seems like another step backwards for the Sox. You're sacrificing defense (if he plays 3rd) and he's not exactly a great clubhouse guy. There are better options out there.

Well, you will really be sacrificing defense over the long term if Crede is not healthy enough to play more than 100-120 games, because Ozuna is just not anything but a below-average MLB thirdbaseman. If he were to play for 2-3 months everyday instead of switching, he would improve...but Garciaparra would be better, and he has a much better arm for the position than Ozuna.

mdep524
11-26-2005, 12:17 PM
I think Nomar makes alot of sense and I've been arguing for him at work for some time. He has White Sox written all over him, actually. Injured the last couple of years, everyone has written him off, and he is supposedly a clubhouse cancer? Sign him up! He can flat out hit when healthy. The Sox need a big average guy in the lineup. ANd he would add incredible versatility. Well the Sox are supposedly on still the lookout for a number two hitter. Could Nomar bat second? I wouldn't want to see him play 3B, but I wonder if he could hack LF, even though that would push Pods to CF and severely weaken the OF defense. He definitely would add versatility (3B, SS, 2B, LF, DH, 1B?), but he's not even a remote possibility unless he comes very cheap. If there's no other team interested in paying him good money to start at SS or 3B, it would be a possibility.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Well the Sox are supposedly on still the lookout for a number two hitter. Could Nomar bat second? I wouldn't want to see him play 3B, but I wonder if he could hack LF, even though that would push Pods to CF and severely weaken the OF defense. He definitely would add versatility (3B, SS, 2B, LF, DH, 1B?), but he's not even a remote possibility unless he comes very cheap. If there's no other team interested in paying him good money to start at SS or 3B, it would be a possibility.

Nomar in LF makes me think of Valentin in CF or Fisk in LF or Piazza at 1B.

It might work, but it has to be option 22 on the list of possibilities.

Nomar is an infielder and has an infielders mentality. I definitely think he could hit 2nd, but it looks like Konerko would be hitting 4th with Thome 5th, so 3rd makes more sense.

You could have Garciaparra, Dye, Konerko, Thome....something like that. Not sure how Frank would factor in, not sure he is a 3 hitter anymore. Probably better suited for 5. But still viable at 3 if healthy.

The Deacon
11-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Well the Sox are supposedly on still the lookout for a number two hitter. Could Nomar bat second? I wouldn't want to see him play 3B, but I wonder if he could hack LF, even though that would push Pods to CF and severely weaken the OF defense. He definitely would add versatility (3B, SS, 2B, LF, DH, 1B?), but he's not even a remote possibility unless he comes very cheap. If there's no other team interested in paying him good money to start at SS or 3B, it would be a possibility.

He would be a good #2 hitter. Actually, most teams looking at him this offseason want to put him in the OF. Alot of people think it will work because he has such a good arm.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 12:53 PM
He would be a good #2 hitter. Actually, most teams looking at him this offseason want to put him in the OF. Alot of people think it will work because he has such a good arm.

I just dont see it making much sense after a major groin injury.

We saw what transpired with Valentins hamstring. No good.

Too much stress on the legs...which he is not accustomed to using...that is always a recipe for disaster.

Lip Man 1
11-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Mike Downey mentions this in his column today. I think he has Nomar playing left with Scott going to center.

Lip

The Deacon
11-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Mike Downey mentions this in his column today. I think he has Nomar playing left with Scott going to center.

Lip

Mike Downey wants to do this?? On second thought maybe I dont agree with it.....

chaerulez
11-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Mike Downey wants to do this?? On second thought maybe I dont agree with it.....

Mike Downey's columns make no sense. He might not be a media troll like that one guy that writes for that other paper, but I still would like to see some articles with a bit of thought to them.

Dolly
11-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Nomar in LF makes me think of Valentin in CF or Fisk in LF or Piazza at 1B.The possibility of getting an injury-prone Nomar makes me cringe. The idea of putting him in LF and moving Pods to CF makes me shudder! If we do get him, and I hope we don't, it should be only if Crede isn't healthy enough. Pods should be left exactly where he is (no pun intended).

Fenway
11-26-2005, 01:52 PM
and to think Nomar turned down 60M for 4 years with Boston :?:

What is stranger is that is name is starting to resurface here ( but not as a SS )

He and Mia still live in Boston so anything is possible.

Chips
11-26-2005, 02:39 PM
In a thread a little while back I said that it wouldn't surprise me to see Nomar on the Sox in a role where he DHs a couple times a week and gives Crede and Uribe days off. Nomar and Mia just built a house in Winnetka, I believe. They seem to want to stay in Chicago, but I'm not sure the interest is mutual as far as the Cubs are concerned. The question is whether any team will want Nomar as their shortstop. I'll quickly go through all 30 teams.

These teams would have no interest in Nomar as a shortstop due to the player they already have at the position: Yankees (Jeter), Red Sox (Renteria), Orioles (Tejada), Indians (Peralta), Tigers (Guillen), Athletics (Crosby), Angels (Cabrera), Rangers (Young), Phillies (Rollins), Mets (Reyes), Giants (Vizquel), Rockies (Barmes). That's 12 of 30 teams you can cross off because their shortstop is either better or locked in to a big deal.

Now add in some teams that Nomar would likely not want to play for since they don't figure to be contenders next year: Devil Rays, Royals, Pirates, Reds. That 16 out of 30 eliminated so far.

A couple teams have young shortstops that they would probably rather stick with than sign Nomar: Padres (Greene), Dodgers (Izturis), Brewers (Hardy), Blue Jays (Adams), White Sox (Uribe). Now we're at 21 out of 30 teams that likely wouldn't want Nomar as their shortstop.

There are two free agent shortstops (Furcal, Alex Gonzalez) that will likely sign with one of these 9 teams: Cubs, Braves, Marlins, Twins, Mariners, Nationals, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Astros. Let's say Furcal goes to the Cubs and Gonzalez returns to the Marlins. The Nationals probably couldn't sign Nomar unless they trade Guzman. The Diamondbacks might go back to Clayton or start Cintron. If the Braves lose Furcal they would likely go with Betemit. The Cardinals have Eckstein, though I think they could possibly move him to second if they like Nomar. I suppose the Mariners are a possibility, but keep in mind Nomar's bother Michael is a minor-league infielder in the Mariners organization. I don't know which way Nomar would look at that. He might enjoy the possibility of potentially playing with his brother; He might not want to block his brother's path to the majors. That leaves the Twins and Astros. Given Nomar's injury history, I doubt he would want to play over half his games on turf. Houston seems like a real possibility given their need for offense. Adam Everett hasn't really done much to secure his job.

So where does that leave Nomar? There is a possibility something unforeseen happens. I don't mean to make it sound like there is no room for Nomar at shortstop besides for the Astros. Some team might really like him and decide to make room by moving their current shortstop. Otherwise it seems like Nomar is going to have to make a position change. Nomar might welcome a job on an AL team where he is the DH for most of the time and gets out to the field a couple of teams a week.

What he said.

Jjav829
11-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Hey, uh, did someone say "Nomar?" :unsure:

I'd like to see Nomar here in some role and like I've said before, I think there might be some mutual interest from Nomar and KW.

Domeshot17
11-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Nomar could be this years El Duque. Comes back from Injuries, has a few set backs, but makes his incentives.

Up until last year, this guy was one of the best short stops in baseball, and part of the big 3 of Arod and Jeter. The man can still hit, the only question is his health. Now coming to the white sox, he would not be playing for Francona or for Dusty, 2 managers that let their players do whatever they feel. HE would be working under OZzie and a very good training staff, and that combo may help him stay healthy. Sign him up for the super utility role and see if we cant get 300-20 out of the guy.

And I really don't get the idea of dye batting 3rd. Won't happen if PK comes back. Thome PK Dye maybe, maybe Dye hits 6 again, but you do not put him infrontof 2 hitters far superior than him.

MadetoOrta
11-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Didn't we flush this out a couple of weeks ago? In spring training last year, Nomar looked like a guy who would hit 30+ HRs and drive in 100 AND bat .330. He hit the ball a ton. I could think of worse scenarios [assuming he's healthy and has a healthy chip on his shoulder about proving people wrong] that having Nomar at DH batting 3d and Thome batting 4th at 1B. With Pods wreaking havoc on base, you never know how well Nomar would do. I wouldn't write it off.

Tragg
11-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Nomar only as a bench bat and 2nd stringer. He can play a few positions, which makes him useful. And he shouldn't be expensive.
The notion of hurting our defense (pods in center; nomar anywhere on the field except as a reserve) for a little more offense is backtracking. Don't threaten the D up the middle.

MikeLove
11-26-2005, 10:57 PM
i hope to god theres never a mia hamm day at the cell. also if he does come here, i hope no sox fans call him nomahh or whatever those losers at wrigley and fenway call him, we don't like the red sox!

slavko
11-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Didn't he and Mia just build a house in Winnetka?

Tragg
11-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Didn't we flush this out a couple of weeks ago? In spring training last year, Nomar looked like a guy who would hit 30+ HRs and drive in 100 AND bat .330. He hit the ball a ton. I could think of worse scenarios [assuming he's healthy and has a healthy chip on his shoulder about proving people wrong] that having Nomar at DH batting 3d and Thome batting 4th at 1B. With Pods wreaking havoc on base, you never know how well Nomar would do. I wouldn't write it off.

I don't think Nomar is in particularly high demand - is he?
Spring training is...spring training. He could be very good, but I hate to see the world champions who are currently down in payroll (when the expectation was for an increase) having to have a "could be" at a key offensive position. Thome is no sure thing either and it would be nice to have him DH at least 1/2 the time, to keep him fresh.

Losing Konerko means losing a .374 OBP (which I know was unlikely to be repeated), without which, our team OBP would be absolutely dismal.
We need 2 hitters anyway. Sign Nomar and a good hitter who can play some outfield (although I think Nomar can do that). Or maybe Mueller and NOmar, if there are Crede durability issues. Work Dye at first and Nomar in the outfield in spring training. Thome, Nomar and the new hitter would give us nice depth, keep everyone fresh

Nellie_Fox
11-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Yeah, let's sign everybody else's injury-riddled old guy, and cut loose the injury-riddled old guy already here. After all, we sure wouldn't want to show loyalty to the guy who has done it for the Sox for a long time, when we can give the money to guys who have done nothing for the Sox instead.

getonbckthr
11-27-2005, 02:19 AM
What if we sign Nomar to play SS, and move Uribe to 3b. With this we can ship out Crede for a proven CF or if Paulie doesn't resign a first basemen. Maybe like a Crede for Wily mo Pena.

dickallen15
11-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Nomar can still rake. When he's hot, he puts up numbers you only see in little league. While not the greatest defensive player, if he came at a decent price, he would be perfect for spelling Crede and Uribe and maybe playing a little OF, while DHing.

downstairs
11-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Do you mean as a batboy?

If so, sounds like a good plan to me. He has a lot of experience on the bench and could teach our younger bat boys the tricks of the trade.

As a player?

No.

Tragg
11-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Yeah, let's sign everybody else's injury-riddled old guy, and cut loose the injury-riddled old guy already here. After all, we sure wouldn't want to show loyalty to the guy who has done it for the Sox for a long time, when we can give the money to guys who have done nothing for the Sox instead.
I think it's a matter of a)if we sign Konerko, Frank won't WANT to sign with us (one could argue we should have waited to sign Konerko before doing the Thome trade); and b)Frank can't play any positions in the field.

Tragg
11-27-2005, 08:55 AM
What if we sign Nomar to play SS, and move Uribe to 3b. With this we can ship out Crede for a proven CF or if Paulie doesn't resign a first basemen. Maybe like a Crede for Wily mo Pena.
Absolutely not - kills our defense; probably means moving Pods to center, which would be the official shovel of dirt on our D. From one of the best, if not THE best SS/CF combos to the absolute worst SS/CF combo.

caulfield12
11-27-2005, 11:08 AM

The Reds prefer to deal Dunn because of his salary.

Pena is still a young, affordable player for a salary-challenged franchise. They also have Kearns and Griffey, so they have to deal one of these guys eventually.

Nyls Nyman
11-27-2005, 11:59 AM
If it looks like neither Konerko or Thomas are coming back, then I think Nomar is a reasonable #3 option on a one-year deal with a mutual option. At that point, they're back to replacing Everett, and Nomar would be ok as long as you keep him out of LF. Let him DH 130 games, start fifteen at 3B and ten at SS to give Crede and Uribe breaks.

One upside to having Nomar is that if Uribe can play 2B in an emergency, you only need one backup IF - Ozuna. If that did happen, I'd like to see Kenny get Craig Wilson from the Pirates to be the backup 1B/RF and #3 catcher.

caulfield12
11-27-2005, 05:39 PM
If it looks like neither Konerko or Thomas are coming back, then I think Nomar is a reasonable #3 option on a one-year deal with a mutual option. At that point, they're back to replacing Everett, and Nomar would be ok as long as you keep him out of LF. Let him DH 130 games, start fifteen at 3B and ten at SS to give Crede and Uribe breaks.

One upside to having Nomar is that if Uribe can play 2B in an emergency, you only need one backup IF - Ozuna. If that did happen, I'd like to see Kenny get Craig Wilson from the Pirates to be the backup 1B/RF and #3 catcher.

It would be nice to get Mackowiak or Wilson, but the Pirates are not going to simply give them away, like the Marlins. I think many still view Wilson as an everyday player, somewhere.

Hangar18
11-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Up until last year, this guy was one of the best short stops in baseball, and part of the big 3 of Arod and Jeter.....

.........until he put on that Cubs uniform. He got what he deserved. Nobody told him to be a Cub.

Fenway
11-28-2005, 02:25 PM
.........until he put on that Cubs uniform. He got what he deserved. Nobody told him to be a Cub.

actually Theo Epstein did :smile:

White Sox and Red Sox fans both have to be thankful the orginal A-Rod deal went kaput.....had the orginal deal happened, neither the Red Sox or the White Sox would have won the Series.

Hangar18
11-28-2005, 02:29 PM
actually Theo Epstein did :smile:

He had a No-Trade Clause didnt he? He CHOSE to be a Cub. And thats HIS fault, hehheh

Fenway
11-28-2005, 02:33 PM
He had a No-Trade Clause didnt he? He CHOSE to be a Cub. And thats HIS fault, hehheh

He did not have a no trade provision.