PDA

View Full Version : KW wants Konerko decision by Dec. 8

Fantosme
11-26-2005, 03:28 AM
Link (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13259750.htm)

veeter
11-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I love to watch the best GM in baseball work. The deadline is a good idea to me. Until Paulie gives an answer, KW's hand are tied. The moment PK was not under contract with the Sox, he became someone vulnerable to Kenny's wrath. As each day passes, he becomes less of our post season hero and more of a Magglio figure. Mud has not flown yet, but I feel it coming. Paulie should just take the Sox offer, whatever it is, and get ready for 2006. Otherwise, he'll regret it.

JorgeFabregas
11-26-2005, 11:46 AM
That bit about Crede worries me. :?:

broker3d
11-26-2005, 12:46 PM

what bit about Crede?

rmusacch
11-26-2005, 12:51 PM

He has been dealing with the back problem for a while now. That is why he went on the DL. Hopefully it is nothing but what is so bad about getting someone to back him up that has played 3b regularly in the majors?

KRS1
11-26-2005, 01:35 PM
He has been dealing with the back problem for a while now. That is why he went on the DL. Hopefully it is nothing but what is so bad about getting someone to back him up that has played 3b regularly in the majors?

I dont think he went to the DL b/c of his back, pretty sure it was his broken thumb.

munchman33
11-26-2005, 01:45 PM
I hate this deadline. It's too late. Because Kenny needs to make a decision on Frank by Dec. 7th. By setting the deadline after that day, Kenny is essentially saying there is no chance Frank will be back, even if he is healthy.

So long, Frank.

kevin57
11-26-2005, 02:34 PM
I hate this deadline. It's too late. Because Kenny needs to make a decision on Frank by Dec. 7th. By setting the deadline after that day, Kenny is essentially saying there is no chance Frank will be back, even if he is healthy.

So long, Frank.

I agree. Remember that KW said that he would treat Paulie with respect during this negotiation process. I don't see how anyone could gripe about Dec. 8 being unreasonable. If Paulie can't come to a decision by then, who's not being respectful of whom?

skobabe8
11-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Thats my birthday. I'll take a present like that!

SOecks
11-26-2005, 04:02 PM
I don't like how it's been spun by the media though. The Trib headline says "GM Sets Deadline" as if he's trying to strongarm Paul or something which is NOT THE CASE and completely twisted out of context. KW just said he'd like to have things finished by the end of the winter meetings, not "we need a decision by the 8th or we're done dealing". He just wants to have it completed sooner rather than later so he knows what priorities he needs to set for the offseason moves before he's backed into a corner. I'm really angry about how they are trying to portray this and I'm surprised nobody else has said anything about this.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
11-26-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't like how it's been spun by the media though. The Trib headline says "GM Sets Deadline" as if he's trying to strongarm Paul or something which is NOT THE CASE and completely twisted out of context. KW just said he'd like to have things finished by the end of the winter meetings, not "we need a decision by the 8th or we're done dealing". He just wants to have it completed sooner rather than later so he knows what priorities he needs to set for the offseason moves before he's backed into a corner. I'm really angry about how they are trying to portray this and I'm surprised nobody else has said anything about this.:angry:

1.As mentioned by "Ramblin' " Ed Farmer on the SNORE this morning,
the odds are Craig Landis,Konerko's agent,knew of this long ago.
He has had preliminary talks with Sox asst. GM Rick Hahn.Whether
progress has been made is another thing.

2.IT'S THE CUB-UNE!!!! sCrUBS rule,Sox drool!! That's their mind set.
The Sox could win 4 of the next 5 WS,it wouldn't matter.The story
would always be "Next Year it's our turn!!":puking::angry: :angry:

TheDarkGundam
11-26-2005, 04:39 PM
*cricles Dec. 8 on calender*

Sounds good

nccwsfan
11-26-2005, 04:40 PM

So long, Frank.

I agree. It also will free up other players that won't be offered arbitration by their respective teams, and instead of letting PK dictate the CWS offseason plans it makes more sense to place this deadline and move forward with another game plan. That's why the Thome trades makes even more sense- without Thome or PK this team would be severely deficient with the bats. Now no matter what we have a 1B in place.

JorgeFabregas
11-26-2005, 09:15 PM

I didn't realize that his back problems were still a going concern.

WSoxFanForever
11-26-2005, 09:16 PM
If this post is redundant, I apologize (been out of town). I heard about this when I was visiting relatives in Chicago. What do you think of it? I'm not sure yet.

TomBradley72
11-27-2005, 01:22 PM
How hard is it for Paulie's agent to ask for offers from any interested clubs over the next week or so? Let the WSox know what his market value is and allow them to make a decision? If Paulie wants to come back...he should also want the club to understand their payroll with him in it....so they can do their best for the rest of the roster...especially the arbitration eligible players like Garland, AJ and Crede. How long does it take to collect offers from: contending teams, in the market for a 1b, who can afford PK? Seems like a pretty short list and a reasonable request from KW.

nccwsfan
11-27-2005, 09:59 PM
How hard is it for Paulie's agent to ask for offers from any interested clubs over the next week or so? Let the WSox know what his market value is and allow them to make a decision? If Paulie wants to come back...he should also want the club to understand their payroll with him in it....so they can do their best for the rest of the roster...especially the arbitration eligible players like Garland, AJ and Crede. How long does it take to collect offers from: contending teams, in the market for a 1b, who can afford PK? Seems like a pretty short list and a reasonable request from KW.

Agreed. Konerko and Landis should already know the interested teams, and if they haven't heard from a team by now they really shouldn't be in the running. Yes, $$ talks, but he's been a free agent for 2+ weeks now, and responsible teams should have already contacted him with their intentions.

That said, it would be reasonable to think that they should have some type of offer on the table within the next week, with a decision to be made by the Winter Meetings. Absolutely fair....by going past this deadline it could hamper KW's ability to fill the holes with the right players (should PK not come re-sign).

MrRoboto83
11-27-2005, 10:02 PM

I bet PK and Landis will be at the Winter meetings. I'm sure they have appointments with a lot of GMs interested. I like KW deadline, I really hope Paulie signs.

MsSoxVixen22
11-28-2005, 09:43 AM
I love to watch the best GM in baseball work. The deadline is a good idea to me. Until Paulie gives an answer, KW's hand are tied. The moment PK was not under contract with the Sox, he became someone vulnerable to Kenny's wrath. As each day passes, he becomes less of our post season hero and more of a Magglio figure. Mud has not flown yet, but I feel it coming. Paulie should just take the Sox offer, whatever it is, and get ready for 2006. Otherwise, he'll regret it.

Well put veeter-I was about to type something similar myself. PK would be stupid to NOT sign with the Sox-if he doesn't because he got greedy...like someone else we know (Maggs) he will screw up a good thing he had going witht he Sox. Not to mention what Ozzie will say...:o:

Tragg
11-28-2005, 10:58 AM
If we put a deadline on him, we must have given him a firm offer.
Any ideas what it is?

SSN721
11-28-2005, 11:26 AM
I think this is more then fair, as stated, Paulie shoudl have already recieved offers from the teams interested in him. I dont understand how he could have a problem with the team setting a deadline so they can get on with the rest of the work they need to do this offseason. The team doesnt need this negotiation to drag through the offseason. If Paulie signs I will be happy if not, then oh well. Hard to say I wish Paulie much luck as I think a decision by him to move to another team would be motivated by greed. Good for KW to work his magic and be firm with this issue. Nice to know we have a date we will all know by.

Steelrod
11-28-2005, 12:29 PM
If the deadline isn't fair, than Konerko is showing more interest in other teams (or himself) then he is in us. If thats the case, good luck Paulie, we'll miss you!

Paulwny
11-28-2005, 03:13 PM
With the lack of any rumors concerning $$$ , it's beginning to appear that PK hasn't rec'd any solid offers. Some teams may feel PK is over priced at > $10 mil/yr and he would be only an option if they couldn't swing a trade for another player/players. KW can't wait for this to occur, it would severly hamper his trading ability not knowing exactly how much $$$ he has available and which players he would need.

Randar68
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
With the lack of any rumors concerning $$$ , it's beginning to appear that PK hasn't rec'd any solid offers. Some teams may feel PK is over priced at > $10 mil/yr and he would be only an option if they couldn't swing a trade for another player/players. KW can't wait for this to occur, it would severly hamper his trading ability not knowing exactly how much $$$ he has available and which players he would need.

I really think KW could acquire a better hitter via trade if he has to. That said, Konerko is product of USCF to some degree, is overpriced anywhere above 10 million per year, but is a fan favorite and a clubhouse leader on a team whose success was built largely around team unity.

Is he worth 12-13 million to the Sox? I suppose so, although I admit I'd rather trade some prospects for Helton or sign Giles for that amount of money. However, I doubt the market really will bear anything more than the reported Sox offers of 4 years 12-13 million per year. There are dumb/overzealous GM's and owners, but it seems to me his peripherals and performance on the road don't dictate much more than 10 million per season, let alone 12-13 million.

Ol' No. 2
11-28-2005, 05:01 PM
I really think KW could acquire a better hitter via trade if he has to. That said, Konerko is product of USCF to some degree, is overpriced anywhere above 10 million per year, but is a fan favorite and a clubhouse leader on a team whose success was built largely around team unity.

Is he worth 12-13 million to the Sox? I suppose so, although I admit I'd rather trade some prospects for Helton or sign Giles for that amount of money. However, I doubt the market really will bear anything more than the reported Sox offers of 4 years 12-13 million per year. There are dumb/overzealous GM's and owners, but it seems to me his peripherals and performance on the road don't dictate much more than 10 million per season, let alone 12-13 million.I agree that no GM in his right mind (I know this leaves a few out) would pay more than $12-13M/yr. But it's entirely possible that, given that PK is only 29, one of them will offer a 5th year, and I'm guessing that's what he's holding out for. The question is, will KW go for a 5th year to match another team's offer?

pythons007
11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Thats my birthday. I'll take a present like that!

We're screwed now! Dec. 8th is judgement day.

A. Cavatica
11-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Just an observation on the negotiations:

I think it's fine for KW to have a timetable for his own decision-making process, and for communicating that privately to PK and his agent. On the other hand, it's not fine for it to appear in the press.

The deadline (or appearance thereof) may come across as a lack of respect for Konerko, or even worse, a threat: "sign now or else". PK is a free agent and he's entitled to his own timetable. What if he wants to see what other hitters get before he signs?

This smacks of a deliberate leak from the Sox camp. KW can keep his mouth shut when pursuing a trade, so why does this come out now?

If I were in Paul's position, it would make me less likely to return.

Randar68
11-28-2005, 06:09 PM

I think it's fine for KW to have a timetable for his own decision-making process, and for communicating that privately to PK and his agent. On the other hand, it's not fine for it to appear in the press.

The deadline (or appearance thereof) may come across as a lack of respect for Konerko, or even worse, a threat: "sign now or else". PK is a free agent and he's entitled to his own timetable. What if he wants to see what other hitters get before he signs?

This smacks of a deliberate leak from the Sox camp. KW can keep his mouth shut when pursuing a trade, so why does this come out now?

It's part of the process. Public scrutiny/pressure is part of the deal. It's not like Landis hasn't talked to the press at all. No other hitter on the market other than perhaps Giles will sign a relevant deal to Konerko, so what good is waiting?

Sox can't afford to wait forever, and the more pressure the press or outside sources put on Landis and PK the better for the Sox, IMO. PK knows the Sox want him, he knows the Sox have someone legit to hit in front of him, and he knows the Sox can't afford to wait forever on a guy who's already going to be overvalued in the market.

If he want to return, great, if not, I'm sure KW has plenty of options on ways to spend 13 million a year. You don't think Colorado would trade Helton if someone offerred to pick up 13 or 14 million per year of his deal?

nodiggity59
11-28-2005, 06:32 PM
It's part of the process. Public scrutiny/pressure is part of the deal. It's not like Landis hasn't talked to the press at all. No other hitter on the market other than perhaps Giles will sign a relevant deal to Konerko, so what good is waiting?

Sox can't afford to wait forever, and the more pressure the press or outside sources put on Landis and PK the better for the Sox, IMO. PK knows the Sox want him, he knows the Sox have someone legit to hit in front of him, and he knows the Sox can't afford to wait forever on a guy who's already going to be overvalued in the market.

If he want to return, great, if not, I'm sure KW has plenty of options on ways to spend 13 million a year. You don't think Colorado would trade Helton if someone offerred to pick up 13 or 14 million per year of his deal?

Exactly. I still prefer PK b/c he has a big age advantage over Giles and Helton, not to mention Thome and Delgado, and all along I've been queasy about counting on 2 aging sluggers. But Helton/Giles and Thome is not a bad option by any means.

A. Cavatica
11-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Giles is relevant. Damon could be relevant (if NY is dumb enough to pay his asking price). A Ramirez trade would free Boston to make a run at PK. And if Anaheim doesn't find their big bat soon, they'll up their offer.

I don't think the press coverage will be read as "pressure" so much as "laying the groundwork for the smear campaign that will follow if PK leaves".

ChiSoxIn06
11-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I like this move by KW.. the sox dont have all off season to sit and wait for konerko...if we did that KW would have to settle for the bottom of the barrel replacements for 1B..by getting this out of the way early the sox can replace him with better options if konerko declines...hopefully it doesnt come to that but ive seen it happen before (maggs).

kevin57
11-28-2005, 10:03 PM

I agree...and that's why I think KW stated it to put some pressure to the situation. Also, should PK balk, KW has given himself and the organization some PR cushion.

Banix12
11-28-2005, 11:03 PM
I was just watching FOX news and Corey McPherrin reported that word out of the white sox front office is that they have not set a deadline, unlike what the published reports said.

Lip Man 1
11-29-2005, 01:03 AM
Chuck Garfein on the Jim Thome Show on Comcast Sports tonight said the same thing. The Sox are insisting they have not set a deadline but certainly would like to have a decision sooner rather then later.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Chuck Garfein on the Jim Thome Show on Comcast Sports tonight said the same thing. The Sox are insisting they have not set a deadline but certainly would like to have a decision sooner rather then later.

LipThis may be a matter of interpretation. I doubt they set a deadline in the sense that "We won't sign you after Dec 8." But they can't get caught like Houston did last year waiting for Beltran. It may be more along the lines of "After Dec 8 we'll move on with alternatives. If we come to an agreement after that date and before we've filled that spot, fine, but we can't wait around forever."