PDA

View Full Version : For all of those sad to see Aaron go...

lths06
11-25-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't like Aaron going any more than anyone else, but think of the last person Kenny traded that we all hated to see go...Miguel Olivo. How many people here forgot about him? Kenny said it was the hardest thing he had to do as GM, and everyone here had the same feelings then that they do now. I haven't seen anybody whining about Olivio for quite some time, and we all know the benefits of that trade (A.J.). I'm not saying we'll forget about A-Row (or should), but I think we should all trust Kenny on this.

Palehose13
11-25-2005, 11:52 PM
I don't like Aaron going any more than anyone else, but think of the last person Kenny traded that we all hated to see go...Miguel Olivo. How many people here forgot about him? Kenny said it was the hardest thing he had to do as GM, and everyone here had the same feelings then that they do now. I haven't seen anybody whining about Olivio for quite some time, and we all know the benefits of that trade (A.J.). I'm not saying we'll forget about A-Row (or should), but I think we should all trust Kenny on this.

Let me say that I did not feel the same way when Olivo was traded.

Now, about comparing the two...apples and oranges. Rowand is a proven major leaguer and a fan favorite. Olivo was liked(far cry from "fan favorite"), but he was far from proven.

IIRC, there was only a small number of people who opposed the Olivo/Reed for Garcia trade. The reason was because of the potential those people thought those two had.

Point of my post: Read the threads. Most of us do trust Kenny. However, many of us liked Aaron a lot. That doesn't mean we don't like the trade.

lths06
11-26-2005, 12:05 AM
I know that most here trust Kenny. I just wanted to remind people of the Olivo trade - because I remember how many people were so upset of Olivo's departure. While they are different caliber players, they both caused many here to become upset. I juts merely wanted to remind people here of him, and I honestly think that, like Miguel, we will soon not feel bad for loosing Aaron after we watch Anderson snag balls and Thome crush the ball.

WikdChiSoxFan
11-26-2005, 12:21 AM
I didn't forget Big Mo and I sure as heck won't forget A-Row. I'll root for them as long as they don't play against us. The same with El Caballo.

But if there's bad blood, like Magglio, well... I'll be happy when our guys are showing off their nice new bling next year in Detroit.

StockdaleForVeep
11-26-2005, 12:34 AM
I don't like Aaron going any more than anyone else, but think of the last person Kenny traded that we all hated to see go...Miguel Olivo. How many people here forgot about him? Kenny said it was the hardest thing he had to do as GM, and everyone here had the same feelings then that they do now. I haven't seen anybody whining about Olivio for quite some time, and we all know the benefits of that trade (A.J.). I'm not saying we'll forget about A-Row (or should), but I think we should all trust Kenny on this.\\

People have been talking more on reed than olivo in that trade. The diff too is garcia is a young pitcher who has alot of years ahead of him, thome only has 3-5 left max, plus theres no guarentee he will be healthy to even play. If we're willing to have thome, then thomas should be a done deal already

RowanDye
11-26-2005, 01:57 AM
\\

People have been talking more on reed than olivo in that trade. The diff too is garcia is a young pitcher who has alot of years ahead of him, thome only has 3-5 left max, plus theres no guarentee he will be healthy to even play. If we're willing to have thome, then thomas should be a done deal already

Don't you think KW evalutes the severity of the injuries? Frank is old, hurt, and questionable. Thome is old, but healthy and reportedly fit. The potential for Thome/Konerko back-2-back was just too much for KW to pass up IMO. Frank's legacy comes second to the health of the team.

fusillirob1983
11-26-2005, 02:28 AM
I think part of the reason people were so sentimental about giving up Olivo is that he hit what was a game-tying or go ahead homer (don't remember) earlier during the day of the Garcia trade. Not the only reason, but I think it contributed.

Optipessimism
11-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I liked Miguel because he was quick and had some power. I hated to see him leave but part of that was because we all watched him suck while the 2003 Sox missed the playoffs and I really hoped the 2004 version would be our reward for the wait. He started off strong, IIRC he was hitting something over .300 early in the season and looking like a no. 2 hitter before he tailed off a bit. He still had improved quite a bit from 2003 when the trade was made, but he just kinda fell off the face of the earth in Seattle like so many good hitters. I still wasn't against the trade though, and I wish him well in San Diego.

CluelessJoe1919
11-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Rowand will go through a couple of mediocre years in Philly and end up back with the Sox as a fourth outfielder.

MarySwiss
11-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Rowand will go through a couple of mediocre years in Philly and end up back with the Sox as a fourth outfielder.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

bafiarocks03
11-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Ohh...MIGUEL OLIVO! *tear* I still always think about Miggy!

jerry myers
11-27-2005, 04:31 PM
many years ago we got another big name from philly. Greg Luzinski, does anyone remember what the trade was, or the conditions,it was back in 1981. i missed arow, and still have respect for him, but its done im backing thome and the sox 100%.

johnny_mostil
11-27-2005, 04:35 PM
many years ago we got another big name from philly. Greg Luzinski, does anyone remember what the trade was, or the conditions,it was back in 1981. i missed arow, and still have respect for him, but its done im backing thome and the sox 100%.

It was cash and carry. Luzinski had lost his job to Lonnie Smith.

jerry myers
11-27-2005, 04:43 PM
It was cash and carry. Luzinski had lost his job to Lonnie Smith.Thank you,its been awhile, time flys.

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Im very sad to see Aaron go ............ but we do NEED a decent and TRUE #3 hitter to hit in front of Konerko. Of course, the SOX say they are pursueing Paulie, but Im thinking more and more that Thome will be with us as our only power source :(

It's Time
11-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Im very sad to see Aaron go ............ but we do NEED a decent and TRUE #3 hitter to hit in front of Konerko. Of course, the SOX say they are pursueing Paulie, but Im thinking more and more that Thome will be with us as our only power source :(

Do you not think the White Sox are not pursuing Konerko?

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Oh Henry, same ****, different offseason. :redneck

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 06:48 PM
I was so sad to hear Rowand was in the deal, I was actually just a couple blocks away from his place, and almost went over to say how sorry I was.

Hes a great guy ..... and a model citizen

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Do you not think the White Sox are not pursuing Konerko?

Personally, I dont think so. I think the SOX had it set in their fiscally responsible minds to try to trade him before the 05 season. When they couldnt deal him, they simply figured to just let him walk. Thats why they stopped talking to him and his agent in spring training. But a funny thing happened. A few injuries, a herculean effort on Paulies part late summer and thru the playoffs, an ALCS MVP, shouldve gotten the WS MVP (with Crede), and suddenly keeping Konerko is probably the thing they shouldve done all along.
Unfortuneately, his price went up and thats the gamble the SOX took. The only reason Thomes here is because Philly was willling to eat most of his salary.
AJ, Crede and Garland among others, are arbitration eligible and due some big money. According to reports yesterday, THE SOX ARE ALREADY AT THEIR 2005 Payroll. Whats the significance of that being written yesterday??

Its the idea that the SOX may not be willing to budge now, not knowing how far up their payroll will go with the arbitration eligible players. I think that was a reason we heard about the Freddy Garcia/El Duque rumors earlier. The SOX also have not stated concretely if they are going to raise their payroll significantly this season. Theyve been curiously mum on the subject, and KW's saying he wanted to know by 12/8 on Konerko signals to me that he will simply enter the meetings looking to play the Salary Shell Game, much like he did last offseason. He was very successful by the way. Can he get lucky twice?
Id rather take my chances and spend the money

It's Time
11-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Personally, I dont think so. I think the SOX had it set in their fiscally responsible minds to try to trade him before the 05 season. When they couldnt deal him, they simply figured to just let him walk. Thats why they stopped talking to him and his agent in spring training. But a funny thing happened. A few injuries, a herculean effort on Paulies part late summer and thru the playoffs, an ALCS MVP, shouldve gotten the WS MVP (with Crede), and suddenly keeping Konerko is probably the thing they shouldve done all along.
Unfortuneately, his price went up and thats the gamble the SOX took. The only reason Thomes here is because Philly was willling to eat most of his salary.
AJ, Crede and Garland among others, are arbitration eligible and due some big money. According to reports yesterday, THE SOX ARE ALREADY AT THEIR 2005 Payroll. Whats the significance of that being written yesterday??

Its the idea that the SOX may not be willing to budge now, not knowing how far up their payroll will go with the arbitration eligible players. I think that was a reason we heard about the Freddy Garcia/El Duque rumors earlier. The SOX also have not stated concretely if they are going to raise their payroll significantly this season. Theyve been curiously mum on the subject, and KW's saying he wanted to know by 12/8 on Konerko signals to me that he will simply enter the meetings looking to play the Salary Shell Game, much like he did last offseason. He was very successful by the way. Can he get lucky twice?
Id rather take my chances and spend the money

I couldn't disagree more:?: Why would Kenny Williams tell Konerko that he was going to get him some protection in the lineup and then actually go do it if he didn't want him back?:?:

kevin57
11-27-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't think Aaron will be forgotten soon. If his replacement is solid, then, yes, those incensed at the trade will calm down, but Aaron was part of the "heart" of the 2005 Championship White Sox. Sox fans don't give their hearts readily to any player. To Rowand they did.

Hangar18
11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
.......... but Aaron was part of the "heart" of the 2005 Championship White Sox.

Sox fans don't give their hearts readily to any player. To Rowand they did.

This couldnt be more true. SOX fans dont readily and foolishly embrace just any old player (see cub fans instant love of nomar)

ChiSoxGirl
11-28-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't think Aaron will be forgotten soon. ...but Aaron was part of the "heart" of the 2005 Championship White Sox. Sox fans don't give their hearts readily to any player. To Rowand they did.

I couldn't agree more! I may have said this in one of my previous "I'm going to miss Aaron Rowand" posts, but I haven't felt this badly about a Sox player's departure since Ventura left in 1998. Rowand left it all out there on the field every single day he played. That, and the heart & passion he had not only for this organization but for us fans, won't soon be forgotten.

Flight #24
11-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Actually, unless the report you saw was different from the one I saw, it said than when factoring in likely arbitration awards, the payroll was at the 2005 level. I.e. it's at that level with only Paulie left to resign.

But if it gives you an excuse to tighten up that tinfoil hat, have at it!!

Stroker Ace
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I was angry about the Olivo/Reed for Garcia trade, but I've forgotten about it because Olivo still hasn't prover himself, while Aaron has proven himself. Plus, We can get a lot out of Garcia. We can only get 2-3 years max out of Thome.