PDA

View Full Version : As I drove past the cell today........

RedPinStripes
11-25-2005, 05:52 PM
I was able to see a small part of the 1st base side UD driving west on 35th coming off the Ryan. Not sure if anyone has brought this up recently, but I saw bare concrete in the UD. Looks like those Green seats are going in this winter.

ChiFabulous1
11-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Yup I saw the same thing driving downtown for finals on Monday.

Chips
11-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Are they going to be selling the old blue seats?

chisox77
11-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Good question about selling the blue seats. I would be interested in buying one or two, because I have a good place for them.

That said, I look forward to the green seats. Time for new furniture after 15 years. I think it will make the Cell look kind of cool - though during games, no one will be able to tell anymore, because they will be occupied, which is also pretty cool.

:cool:

miker
11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Went by on the Metra Rock Island line on Black Friday (which gives you a better viewing angle than the Dan Ryan) and whole sections of the upper deck were stripped of their blue seats.

skobabe8
11-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Went by on the Metra Rock Island line on Black Friday (which gives you a better viewing angle than the Dan Ryan) and whole sections of the upper deck were stripped of their blue seats.

About time!

Ventura Fan 23
11-26-2005, 02:53 PM
They should make the upper deck seats bigger...

SouthSideHitman
11-26-2005, 03:04 PM

I wish that they could do that too, but I'm pretty sure they can't. There is only enough room for the number of seats they have now, it's not like they can create more space.

CPditka
11-26-2005, 05:27 PM
I wish that they could do that too, but I'm pretty sure they can't. There is only enough room for the number of seats they have now, it's not like they can create more space.

They can create more space if they cut down on the number of seats which they wont do.

Dancin' Homer
11-26-2005, 05:40 PM
My office is across the Ryan from the park. Will update at first hint of green.

paciorek1983
11-26-2005, 06:22 PM
There are green seats in the upper deck now. Went to the gift shop today and the first couple of sections in the rf ud are finished, except for a row or two.:smile:

TheOldRoman
11-26-2005, 06:36 PM
My office is across the Ryan from the park. Will update at first hint of green.
What kind of business has an office in the middle of the ghetto? Don't they know that gangbangers shot holes in the upperdeck seats?

Dancin' Homer
11-26-2005, 07:06 PM
What kind of business has an office in the middle of the ghetto? Don't they know that gangbangers shot holes in the upperdeck seats?

Unintentionally hilarious because...

I work for a unit in the Police Department.

Dancin' Homer
11-26-2005, 07:07 PM
There are green seats in the upper deck now. Went to the gift shop today and the first couple of sections in the rf ud are finished, except for a row or two.:smile:

Sorry it's dark now.:redface:

pissonthecubs
11-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I never understood the bright blue seats at the cell. No matter what your team colors are, the green seats always look the best. Just makes the field blend into the seats. I really liked that they changed the bright blue outfield walls a few years back. A much better look for the ballpark.

GregoryEtc
11-26-2005, 09:14 PM
I never understood the bright blue seats at the cell. No matter what your team colors are, the green seats always look the best. Just makes the field blend into the seats. I really liked that they changed the bright blue outfield walls a few years back. A much better look for the ballpark.

Why are they wasting their money on green seat when that money could have been spent on signing Bobby Howry or Scott Eyre?

:tongue:

joepoe
11-26-2005, 09:26 PM

Are you suggesting denizens of the upper deck have big butts?

mrwag
11-27-2005, 09:13 AM

See, they put those green seats in and they won the Series! Should have done that from the beginning!

WestSox
11-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Why are they wasting their money on green seat when that money could have been spent on signing Bobby Howry or Scott Eyre?

:tongue:

Or trading away your best minor-league pitcher for Matt Karchner! :roflmao:

paciorek1983
11-27-2005, 09:54 AM

When the Sox had spring training in Florida, they played at the new Ed Smith Stadium. That ballpark had the same blue seats. They thought it was a good look, so they decided to install the same at New Comiskey.

The first time I saw them installing the blue, I was very disappointed. In the first artist's rendering, the seats were green, as well as the hitters background, I couldn't wait to see what the new park was going to look like with those green seats. Now finally, 15 years later, I get my wish.:smile:

C-Dawg
11-27-2005, 10:36 AM
When the Sox had spring training in Florida, they played at the new Ed Smith Stadium. That ballpark had the same blue seats. They thought it was a good look, so they decided to install the same at New Comiskey.

I also heard that blue was kind of the "default" color of plastic - if you want any other color it would cost extra because they'd have to dye it. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but would seem it fit in with the therories that the park was built on the cheap. Either way, many of the blue seats are now getting chipped and faded, so the new ones are going to look SO nice! :smile:

Steelrod
11-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Blue seats, green seats, pink seat. I don't care. I just hope to hear the sound of a lot of Thome hits striking them! Thats beautiful music!

chisox
11-27-2005, 03:23 PM
speaking of color schemes; how 'bout a pink visiting team locker room?

OfficerKarkovice
11-27-2005, 03:34 PM

Haden Fry anyone...?

TheOldRoman
11-27-2005, 03:36 PM
How 'bout NO!
That's classless. The White Sox are a first rate organization, we dont need to resort to bush league garbage like that. Besides that, Im sure the players' union would be able to stop it.

lths06
11-27-2005, 03:49 PM

What college did that? Was it the Hawkeyes?

gaelhound
11-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Reminds me of the old joke.. Pizza maker asks the customer, "Do you want that pizza cut into 6 slices or 8 slices?" The customer answers"Better make it 6, I don't think I can eat 8!".:tongue:

SaltyPretzel
11-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Reminds me of the old joke.. Pizza maker asks the customer, "Do you want that pizza cut into 6 slices or 8 slices?" The customer answers"Better make it 6, I don't think I can eat 8!".:tongue:

I'm pretty sure that's a Yogi Berra quote.

chisox
11-28-2005, 04:52 AM
TheOldRoman, take it easy man. the pink locker room reference is a direct reference to the university of iowa hawkeye visiting team locker room. depite being a bucs fan there's no way i coud call the hawks "bushleague". sheesh.

TomBradley72
11-28-2005, 08:56 AM
TheOldRoman, take it easy man. the pink locker room reference is a direct reference to the university of iowa hawkeye visiting team locker room. depite being a bucs fan there's no way i coud call the hawks "bushleague". sheesh.

Where's the teal police when you need them? :cool:

antitwins13
11-28-2005, 12:49 PM
What college did that? Was it the Hawkeyes?

Univeristy of Iowa football.

Chisox003
11-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Univeristy of Iowa football.
Yes, and there was recently a huge controversy on campus over it.

It even made Sportscenter, yay!

:rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
11-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I know Iowa does it. I am not offended by it like some of the people they had on Sportscenter who believe that it demeans women and homosexuals. I just think it is amateur bull****. I don't think it has an affect on opposing teams, either. They showed stats for Iowa's home winning percentage befrore and after the pink. The pink lockerrooms coincided with Iowa getting good teams, the lockerrooms don't intimidate people.

miker
11-28-2005, 01:55 PM
It has also been done in holding cells for violent prisoners. Pink is supposed to have a soothing effect. But now I'm sure someone will complain how that violates the prisoner's rights...

spiffie
11-28-2005, 01:58 PM
I just hope this means that my seat will be fixed for next year, as it was never quite the same after I got too excited when this happened:

:walkoff:

dickallen15
11-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Yes, and there was recently a huge controversy on campus over it.

It even made Sportscenter, yay!

:rolleyes:

Its ridiculous. The visiting locker room in Kinnick Stadium has been pink for over 25 years, and now all of a sudden its offensive. Some people must spend their entire lives searching for something to complain about.

CaptainBallz
11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Blue seats, green seats, pink seat. I don't care. I just hope to hear the sound of a lot of Thome hits striking them! Thats beautiful music!

Insinuating that nobody will be sitting in them STILL!?

Kinda related, yet not at all, did they change the "Home of the Chicago White Sox" sign, yet? I haven't gone down the Ryan in a while.

IowaHawksFan1
11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
About the pink locker rooms at Kinnick...the person who filed a complaint was a visiting law professor. The complaint was completely rejected and the locker rooms will remain pink. It is the same in Carver-Hawkeye for the visiting teams when they go in there. When Steve Alford was hired and they remodeled the home locker rooms he had them paint the visiting locker rooms pink to match football.

I don't see what the big deal about it is and I really don't see how any of this pertains to the White Sox or MLB. People have too much time on their hands nowadays.

TheOldRoman
11-28-2005, 06:12 PM
About the pink locker rooms at Kinnick...the person who filed a complaint was a visiting law professor. The complaint was completely rejected and the locker rooms will remain pink. It is the same in Carver-Hawkeye for the visiting teams when they go in there. When Steve Alford was hired and they remodeled the home locker rooms he had them paint the visiting locker rooms pink to match football.

I don't see what the big deal about it is and I really don't see how any of this pertains to the White Sox or MLB. People have too much time on their hands nowadays.
Um, if you don't see how it pertains to the Sox, you obviously didn't read the entire thread. Somebody suggested that the Sox paint the opposing lockerrooms pink. I am not offended by the use of pink, I just think it is bush league garbage, and it doesn't give them the big advantage some seem to believe.

Brewski
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Steve Alford, Hayden Fry, bush league. Ham, eggs, breakfast. Larry, Moe, Curly. Metro, Goldwyn, Mayer. (Things which go together.)

Theanticub
11-29-2005, 02:24 AM
Insinuating that nobody will be sitting in them STILL!?

Kinda related, yet not at all, did they change the "Home of the Chicago White Sox" sign, yet? I haven't gone down the Ryan in a while.

Was driving to my parents in the south burbs on saturday, passed the cell...and saw no change in the sign....that I can remember. There was actually NO TRAFFIC, and I was going too fast... so I couldn't get a good enough view of the sign, but it looked the same.

Haha, I read this and am laughing at my irrelevance. :bandance:

Gosox1917
11-29-2005, 10:08 PM
I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned already. On Comcast's Sportsday (or whatever it's called) they showed Mr. Thome looking out onto U. S. Cellular Field and you could certainly notice the seats behind home plate and the dugouts are removed.

TomBradley72
12-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Brooks on "White Sox Weekly" this morning....seats won't be 100% green until 1st pitch 2007. :?:

Can't believe it's taking them so long to get this done....all along they've promised 100% complete by Opening Day 2006. With all the money coming in...is it really that hard to hire a little exta labor do get the project completed on time?

Oh well...with the way tickets are going we're not going to see the color of the sets anyway.:cool:

anewman35
12-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Can't believe it's taking them so long to get this done....all along they've promised 100% complete by Opening Day 2006.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they ORIGINALLY kept saying all the renovations would be done by opening day 05, then they changed it to 06. Doesn't bother me, my feeling is that as long as they're doing some work, maybe they'll be more willing to do other additional work (like some new scoreboards, for example).

Red Barchetta
12-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Brooks on "White Sox Weekly" this morning....seats won't be 100% green until 1st pitch 2007. :?:

Can't believe it's taking them so long to get this done....all along they've promised 100% complete by Opening Day 2006. With all the money coming in...is it really that hard to hire a little exta labor do get the project completed on time?

Oh well...with the way tickets are going we're not going to see the color of the sets anyway.:cool:

I don't understand why it would take 3 years and 2 offseasons to remove old seats and install new ones. They must be performing some other kind of structural maintenance while installing the seats.

WestSox
12-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Its ridiculous. The visiting locker room in Kinnick Stadium has been pink for over 25 years, and now all of a sudden its offensive. Some people must spend their entire lives searching for something to complain about.

Agreed. I did my undergrad at Iowa and they have a lot of left-wing activism there. They banned Chief Illiniwick from campus a few years before I was there. They recently had a number of problems with animial rights freakos destroying labs and threatening the lives of scientists. Unfortunately, there is a small-but-loud minority that's absolutely out of control over there.

The pink visitor's locker room is a Hawkeye tradition and the people who are fighting it are completely clueless.

WestSox
12-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't understand why it would take 3 years and 2 offseasons to remove old seats and install new ones. They must be performing some other kind of structural maintenance while installing the seats.

One factor might be a shortage of building supplies due to Hurricane Katrina. My new lab was supposed to be finished in March, but it got pushed back to May because of that. It's possible that the same thing might be affecting the Sox.

dickallen15
12-03-2005, 01:42 PM
One factor might be a shortage of building supplies due to Hurricane Katrina. My new lab was supposed to be finished in March, but it got pushed back to May because of that. It's possible that the same thing might be affecting the Sox.

That could be, but they were supposed to start turning the seats green during the season last year, and for some reason it didn't happen. The Scout Seat restaurant was behind schedule as well. Maybe there is a structural issue, because it can't be a time issue. The new park in St. Louis doesn't have any seats in yet, and it has to be ready by opening day. Maybe there was a glich in the financing?

skobabe8
12-03-2005, 01:59 PM
That could be, but they were supposed to start turning the seats green during the season last year, and for some reason it didn't happen. The Scout Seat restaurant was behind schedule as well. Maybe there is a structural issue, because it can't be a time issue. The new park in St. Louis doesn't have any seats in yet, and it has to be ready by opening day. Maybe there was a glich in the financing?

The new Busch has alot of seats installed already -------------->http://www.kmov.com/stadiumcam/lg640.htm

XplodingScorbord
12-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Steve Alford, Hayden Fry, bush league. Ham, eggs, breakfast. Larry, Moe, Curly. Metro, Goldwyn, Mayer. (Things which go together.)

You know, when Hayden Fry came to Iowa lo those many years ago there was precisely zero winning tradition. Being a psychology devotee, Hayden did something symbolic that may or may not have had any actual effect on opponents, but may have had one on his own team, and his team's fans. Not a darn thing wrong or "bush league" about that.

Now, the pink locker room remains as a tradition...not a tradition of deriding women or homosexuals, but a tradition of remembering a symbolic change which preceeded a real change in Iowa football.

I bleed black for the Sox and the Hawkeyes alike, and I'm proud to root for both teams.

Now, as for Steve Alford, that guy's a tool, and most Hawkeye fans, I think, would be pleased to see him disappear.

WestSox
12-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Now, as for Steve Alford, that guy's a tool, and most Hawkeye fans, I think, would be pleased to see him disappear.

Not sure if I'd call him a "tool", but he certainly hasn't been very successful at Iowa.

On the other hand, Kirk Ferentz has already established himself as one of the better coaches in college football.

ChiSoxLifer
12-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Why don't they turn the seats towards home plate or the pitcher's mound? Is it because they can't fit as many seats into the row if it's turned?

elrod
12-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Agreed. I did my undergrad at Iowa and they have a lot of left-wing activism there. They banned Chief Illiniwick from campus a few years before I was there. They recently had a number of problems with animial rights freakos destroying labs and threatening the lives of scientists. Unfortunately, there is a small-but-loud minority that's absolutely out of control over there.

The pink visitor's locker room is a Hawkeye tradition and the people who are fighting it are completely clueless.

90% of the time, colleges make these changes out of a perceived need to be "respectful,". They do not change these things in response to an actual demand for change from activists; rather, they do it because of their own misreading of potential concern. The Illiniwek thing is different because there have been Native American activists pushing for the removal of Indian icons in sports for years. But the pink locker room thing was just an idiotic cowtow to completely imagined feminist outrage. Believe me, I am very left-of-center myself and I hang with people considerably more to the left than I am at Northwestern and there is NO constituency pushing for things like the removal of the pink locker room at Iowa. PETA are just deranged and nearly all respectable left-liberals despise them both for their opinions and their methods. The Indian mascot thing generates more division. There are those who say all Indian mascots are offensive because they are just white pseudo-celebrations of cultures that whites eliminated. Others say that not all Indian mascots are necessarily offensive as long as the institution uses the mascot as a way to educate the populace about a particular people and not to poke fun or denigrate them. I fall into this camp. Osceola and Illiniwek are fine. Chief Wahoo is a disgusting mockery of Native Americans (though the name "Indians" is not). Then there are those who don't care at all about the mascots, citing "tradition" among other things. This usually wins out unless you start getting things like the Pekin Chinks who only changed their logo in 1990. Why is Pekin Chinks offensive and Washington Redskins not? I suppose there are still some who think the Pekin Chinks was a perfectly respectable nickname.

TheOldRoman
12-03-2005, 10:45 PM
90% of the time, colleges make these changes out of a perceived need to be "respectful,". They do not change these things in response to an actual demand for change from activists; rather, they do it because of their own misreading of potential concern. The Illiniwek thing is different because there have been Native American activists pushing for the removal of Indian icons in sports for years. But the pink locker room thing was just an idiotic cowtow to completely imagined feminist outrage. Believe me, I am very left-of-center myself and I hang with people considerably more to the left than I am at Northwestern and there is NO constituency pushing for things like the removal of the pink locker room at Iowa. PETA are just deranged and nearly all respectable left-liberals despise them both for their opinions and their methods. The Indian mascot thing generates more division. There are those who say all Indian mascots are offensive because they are just white pseudo-celebrations of cultures that whites eliminated. Others say that not all Indian mascots are necessarily offensive as long as the institution uses the mascot as a way to educate the populace about a particular people and not to poke fun or denigrate them. I fall into this camp. Osceola and Illiniwek are fine. Chief Wahoo is a disgusting mockery of Native Americans (though the name "Indians" is not). Then there are those who don't care at all about the mascots, citing "tradition" among other things. This usually wins out unless you start getting things like the Pekin Chinks who only changed their logo in 1990. Why is Pekin Chinks offensive and Washington Redskins not? I suppose there are still some who think the Pekin Chinks was a perfectly respectable nickname.
:offtopic:
Not only did you hijack the thread, but you hijaked it with your political theories. Good job. For your next post, please tell us your thoughts on NAFTA.

Red Barchetta
12-04-2005, 10:40 AM
The new Busch has alot of seats installed already -------------->http://www.kmov.com/stadiumcam/lg640.htm

..back to topic. I "heard" that the original seat choice was scrapped due to production issues. I know they chose to get rid of the solid back and have more of a retro, slat back look. I hope they go forward with the original plan to have various SOX logos decorate the end seat of each aisle. Little things like that go along way. I love the SOX logos on the RF/LF roof corners!

WestSox
12-04-2005, 10:57 AM

Agreed about the Indian mascots, but academia in general tends to lean strongly left and promoted liberal ideals. I've been working as a scientist in academia for 10 years and can tell you that the vast majority of professors and administration are very blatantly liberal. A visiting professor at Iowa was the one who began the controversey over the pink locker room and, frankly, I'm not surprised one bit. They themselves are the activists at times.

OK, now back to our regularly-scheduled program...

itsnotrequired
12-04-2005, 11:09 AM
I just drove by yesterday. They had a good chunk of the new seats installed in the RF upper deck. The upper deck seats behind home plate have been removed but the new seats aren't in yet.

Brooks must have mis-spoke on the radio. Or maybe the lower deck won't be done by Opening Day?:dunno:

Man, it's going to look nice when it's all done...

WestSox
12-04-2005, 11:30 AM
I just drove by yesterday. They had a good chunk of the new seats installed in the RF upper deck. The upper deck seats behind home plate have been removed but the new seats aren't in yet.

Brooks must have mis-spoke on the radio. Or maybe the lower deck won't be done by Opening Day?:dunno:

Man, it's going to look nice when it's all done...

Indeed it is. Green and black looks much better than blue and white.

dickallen15
12-04-2005, 03:35 PM
I still think they should paint the facades green as well.