PDA

View Full Version : Corwin Malone

Slow Mike
11-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Randar,

What's the status of Corwin Malone. I know about 4-5 years back he was considered a top of rotation pitcher, but then had some injury issues. I heard he has comeback somewhat and is throwing the ball well. Any news?

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Randar,

What's the status of Corwin Malone. I know about 4-5 years back he was considered a top of rotation pitcher, but then had some injury issues. I heard he has comeback somewhat and is throwing the ball well. Any news?

In the Arizona Fall League, CM was horrible and regressed.

1-3, 8.27 ERA. 15 walks in 21 IP. Control has always been his issue...still a prospect, but dimming. From the times Ive seen him pitched, his fastball and slider looked good but he threw everything within 10 MPH. He really needs to develop his secondary pitches as a starter...not unlike N. Cotts....otherwise, he has to be a reliever.

Randar68
11-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Randar,

In response to you, Malone had a decent year this year. He's been set back a couple of times by injury. He has a good arm, is left-handed, so you know if he can stay healthy, he'll be valuable somewhere.

That said, disregard caulfield's post. Arizona Fall League numbers for pitchers are utterly worthless. Most pitchers go there to work on specific pitches almost exclusively. The league is an extreme hitter's league on top of that.

We'll see how he looks in spring training and go from there. With the depth of the rotation, he's likely to end up in the bullpen, but he pitched better as a starter in Birmingham and will likely start out starting in Charlotte next year. Control is an issue, but he showed improvement during the season. Again, AFL numbers mean NOTHING.