PDA

View Full Version : When's the Thome Press Conference?

infohawk
11-25-2005, 01:02 PM
I heard last night that he couldn't catch a flight out of Cleveland because of a storm and was considering just driving to Chicago today (Friday). He's apparently eager to get on with it. I haven't heard anything since. Has anything been reported that I may not have heard?

ChiSoxIn06
11-25-2005, 01:55 PM
havent heard anything about it yet..they could be working on the final details of the trade as well.

kwolf68
11-25-2005, 02:19 PM
havent heard anything about it yet..they could be working on the final details of the trade as well.

Maybe like pulling one of our prospects and giving them a lower guy? 2 of our 10 best? Lefty pitchers? One may be ready by end of next season? Maybe the evident rashness of this decision had something to do with Cleveland and/or Minnehaha snooping around to get Thome.

Would rather play with the guy than against him.

I'm SO torn on this deal. Thome is a blessing of a player and clubhouse guy. He's guaranteed money and I'm not too worried about his injury, but who were we REALLY bidding against? Not many people I can promise that and still we part with 2 of our elite prospects and a great defensive CF and solid all around player/guy in Rowand?

We broke the bank for Thome. If JT hits .280, 40, 120 next year and we hang another flag then I could care less what happens with those guys in Philly, but I can't believe this was the best deal we could have gotten. Philly was just itching to unload JT.

MadetoOrta
11-25-2005, 03:02 PM
kWOLF: Welcome to WSI. We didn't brake the bank at all. Chris Young, Ryan Sweeney, Brian Anderson, Josh Fields, Jerry Owens or Robert Valido would have been breaking the bank. Be happy: We're now in a position like the Yankees and others where we have the ability to trade prospects for proven talent. If Thome's 70% healthy, he's better than last year's DH Carl Everett. If he's nearly 100% [he says he's 100%] then we have one of the most productive lefty power hitters in baseball. No need to fret. I watched the DVD last night, and will miss A-Ro, but this is about getting back to the World Series next year. Trust me on this, this trade is from a position of strength. All good.

Jjav829
11-25-2005, 04:43 PM
The deal is officially done according to MLB.com.

Both players had physicals on Friday, making the deal official two days after the teams agreed to it. Thome waived his no-trade clause to return to his home state and to play for the defending World Series champions.

So if the physical was done today, why hasn't there been a press conference? This is starting to get annoying. Why isn't there any word from the media on when the press conference will take place? Brooks? Reifort? Help us out here...

Flight #24
11-25-2005, 04:55 PM
I heard last night that he couldn't catch a flight out of Cleveland because of a storm and was considering just driving to Chicago today (Friday). He's apparently eager to get on with it. I haven't heard anything since. Has anything been reported that I may not have heard?

That's all we need - Jim hurrying to get back here, driving in a snowstorm, and wrecking the car.....No hurry Jim - take your time!!! We're dying to meet you, but we can wait!

Baby Fisk
11-25-2005, 04:58 PM
The deal is officially done according to MLB.com.

So if the physical was done today, why hasn't there been a press conference? This is starting to get annoying. Why isn't there any word from the media on when the press conference will take place? Brooks? Reifort? Help us out here...
Dude, he might be headed to Arizona first... :thumbsup:

Hitmen77
11-25-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm SO torn on this deal. Thome is a blessing of a player and clubhouse guy. He's guaranteed money and I'm not too worried about his injury, but who were we REALLY bidding against? Not many people I can promise that and still we part with 2 of our elite prospects and a great defensive CF and solid all around player/guy in Rowand?

We broke the bank for Thome. If JT hits .280, 40, 120 next year and we hang another flag then I could care less what happens with those guys in Philly, but I can't believe this was the best deal we could have gotten. Philly was just itching to unload JT.

How is trading Rowand and two A level prospects = "breaking the bank"?:?:

Ol' No. 2
11-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Maybe like pulling one of our prospects and giving them a lower guy? 2 of our 10 best? Lefty pitchers? One may be ready by end of next season? Maybe the evident rashness of this decision had something to do with Cleveland and/or Minnehaha snooping around to get Thome.

Would rather play with the guy than against him.

We broke the bank for Thome. If JT hits .280, 40, 120 next year and we hang another flag then I could care less what happens with those guys in Philly, but I can't believe this was the best deal we could have gotten. Philly was just itching to unload JT.Maybe we were bidding against the Phillies. They didn't HAVE to trade him, you know. It's always possible that Howard will be a one-year wonder, or that he will get injured. Thome provides insurance against those possibilities. At minimum, Thome is a pretty good pinch hitter to have on the bench. If they're paying half his salary anyway, why not just keep him if all we're offering is a bag of balls. You don't get something for nothing, even in a depressed market.

SOX ADDICT '73
11-25-2005, 05:40 PM
How is trading Rowand and two A level prospects = "breaking the bank"?:?:
Not to mention there are already half a dozen threads established for the purpose of bitching about this trade, and kwolf68 chooses to vent in the one thread asking about Thome's press conference...kwolf, your target audience is elsewhere.

infohawk
11-25-2005, 05:56 PM
That's all we need - Jim hurrying to get back here, driving in a snowstorm, and wrecking the car.....No hurry Jim - take your time!!! We're dying to meet you, but we can wait!
I had to laugh when I read your post because I thought the exact same thing yesterday. :tongue:

Tadahito
11-25-2005, 06:32 PM
1:00 Monday

Per: Comcast Sports Net

BeefyD
11-25-2005, 06:52 PM
1:00 Monday

Per: Comcast Sports Net

1:10 Monday - I'll be ordering my Thome Sox jersey!!!

Thanks for the info!

y2j2785
11-25-2005, 07:34 PM
1:00 Monday - I have school. :(: Thank goodness for VCR's. :smile:

JGarlandrules20
11-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Aaron had his. Red is totally not his color. :whiner:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051126/capt.pxs10211260002.phillies_white_sox_trade_pxs10 2.jpg

chisox77
11-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Good luck, and God Bless you Aaron, thank you for your hustle and passion. Maybe at some point, KW may bring you back. But as for the Thome press conference on Monday . . . Welcome to the South Side, Jim . . . the only thing your career needs is a World Series Ring . . . help make that happen in '06!

SOX ADDICT '73
11-25-2005, 10:10 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051126/capt.pxs10211260002.phillies_white_sox_trade_pxs10 2.jpg
I spent part of today organizing the newspapers I saved during the playoff run. Aaron featured prominently in many of the photos and stories. He will always be a member of the White Sox to me. That photo is the most surreal image I've seen in a while. Let's hope the Big Hurt in a Devil Rays cap doesn't surpass it...

buehrle4cy05
11-25-2005, 10:13 PM

I almost cried when I saw this. I support the Thome trade, but damn it if I'm not sad to see Rowand go.:whiner:

Fake Chet Lemon
11-25-2005, 10:41 PM

It's the hat. Nobody can look cool wearing one of those ugly Phillie hats.

chisox77
11-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Let's face it, the uniforms of most teams just don't compare to the ones worn by the White Sox. Just ask any West Coast Rapper, although Tupac is not available for comment (he likes the caps, I hear).