PDA

View Full Version : Which WS book is best?

fan_in_tx
11-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I want to get my brother a WS book but not sure which one is best. Any ideas? Sports Illustrated, Sun-Times, Trib, or Sporting News.

Baby Fisk
11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
:welcome: I like the Sun-Times book the best, because it has game stats and summaries that the other two books do not. All of them are loaded with photos, but the Sun-Times book has that extra data that makes it better.

lths06
11-25-2005, 01:36 PM
I got the trib book and Sporting News book. I believe the SN book has all the stats, and was much better than I though it would be. As far as the Trib book, just open the book for ten seconds and look at the pictures, and you'll see why you should get that one :thumbsup:

Brian26
11-25-2005, 09:24 PM
The Sporting News book (The Pride of Chicago), after having browsed through it briefly, looks fantastic, as it's a combination of great stories and pictures. One really neat feature it has that none of the other books or magazines have is this: in the back, it has a recap, day-by-day, of all 162 regular season games (score, WP, LP, and short synopsis of game).

The SI magazine/book is pretty good too. The Sun-Times and Trib books, in comparison, seem a little rushed. The Trib book has great photos but is short on writing, and the paper stock quality actually looks a bit weak. The Sun-Times book is short on photos, and although the writing is stronger, it's nothing more than reprints of game columns throughout the year.

The Street and Smith magazine has some really nice recaps of the postseason games, but is short on info about the season.

Long story short, go with either the Sporting News or Sports Illustrated books if you're going to pick one or two.

TheDarkGundam
11-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Speaking of the pictures in the Tribune's book, anyone know where I can get the picture on pg. 38 of Carlos Guillen getting tagged out by A.J.?

If you look at that picture, and have seen "Spinal Tap", I think you should know what the caption should be.

WikdChiSoxFan
11-25-2005, 11:27 PM
:?: ?

Get 'em all.

robiwho
11-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Of course, The Sporting News book has something the others don't -- a picture of M&M Guy on page 134! I was debating buying it, but as soon as I saw our favorite scout seater I knew it had to be mine!

RadioheadRocks
11-26-2005, 04:10 PM
:?: ?

Get 'em all.

My sentiments exactly! The prices are reasonable and each of them offer fantastic full-color photography and good articles (plus they balance each other out regarding the features that may be missing from one of them). You really can't go wrong with having a copy of each keepsake book! :D:

SOXSINCE'70
11-26-2005, 04:21 PM
My vote goes with SI.The Cub-Une and Scum Times books are
just condensed day after game articles.That's taking the cheap
way out,IMHO.Either print the article in its entirety,or don't bother.

Just my opinion.

buehrle4cy05
11-26-2005, 04:28 PM
The SI one is excellent. I haven't seen the TSN one yet, but I'm sure it's pretty good too.

ElevenUp
11-26-2005, 06:11 PM
I agree with WikdChiSoxFan. Get 'em all. Trib has great pictures and I like the "Out Loud" interviews. The cover on the SI one is awesome (the look on AJ's face is classic AJ). I also have the Street and Smith's which has decent individual game stories for the entire playoffs, but it has very little regular season coverage.

chisoxmike
11-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I have to admit, the Trib's "Believe It" book is the best. Yes, it pains me to say it, but the pictures are much nicer, and the year by year recaps and the game by game log in the back are nice additions.

Brian26
11-26-2005, 07:07 PM
I have to admit, the Trib's "Believe It" book is the best.

The Trib book has some nice photos, but it is by far not the best overall book. So far, the Sun-Times, Street and Smith, SI and Sporting News books are better total works.