PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 prospects

dougs78
12-18-2001, 08:57 AM
Here is a list from topprospectalert.com that lists the top 10 prospects in the White Sox organization. Take it for what its worth.

http://www.topprospectalert.com/top10/2002part3.shtm

Champ Summers
12-18-2001, 01:24 PM
Jeebus, this list sucks. They don't bother to rank Guerrier, Almonte, or Ulacia in the top 10. If you read the other teams' reports, they are just as bad. I sometimes forget why I only use BA's prospect reports, but this is an excellent reminder.

1. Borchard
2. Rauch
3. Malone
4. Crede
5. Hummel
6. Guerrier
7. Ulacia
8. Olivo
9. Ginter
10. Almonte

with West, Reyes, Gonzalez, Majewski, and Honel coming close to the top seems much more appropriate to me.

-------------------------------------------------

Thank god we have some LHP Prospects now.

AsInWreck
12-18-2001, 01:54 PM
Who's Ulicia?

Champ Summers
12-18-2001, 02:25 PM
Dennis Ulacia is a 20 year old lefty who throws in the high 80's low 90's who went 8-1 with a 2.43 ERA at Kannapolis, 5-3 with a 3.54 ERA at Winston-Salem, and also won his only AAA start, as well as going 1-1 witha 2.25 ERA in 3 starts at Birmingham. Definite Buehrle comparison material, the #2 LHP in the organization behind Malone, though he is younger and pitched with very similar results at the same level.

Randar68
12-18-2001, 05:17 PM
Jeebus, this list sucks. They don't bother to rank Guerrier, Almonte, or Ulacia in the top 10. If you read the other teams' reports, they are just as bad. I sometimes forget why I only use BA's prospect reports, but this is an excellent reminder.

1. Borchard
2. Rauch
3. Malone
4. Crede
5. Hummel
6. Guerrier
7. Ulacia
8. Olivo
9. Ginter
10. Almonte

with West, Reyes, Gonzalez, Majewski, and Honel coming close to the top seems much more appropriate to me.

Yeah, that is a little closer to what I would suspect. Their analysis on Malone makes you woonder whether they have ever actaully seen the guy play, and I highly doubt it anyways...

Here's my top 10, with a group of "close-behinds":

1. Borchard - nuff said
2. Rauch - Wouldn't be on this list, if healthy, he'd be our #3 starter this year, IMO, and may still be
3. Malone - actually a power pitcher, unless you believe everything you read
4. Hummel - Plate discipline, my ideal #2 hitter...
5. Crede - GG quality defense, if he could go .275-15-60, I'd be pleased
6. Ulacia - mini-Buehrle
7. Andy Gonzalez - Has ALL the tools...
8. Honel - Tons of talent, experience and health are only questions now
9. Olivo - Great defense, needs better plate discipline, but at a weak position in the organization
10. Almonte - Seems to have matured late, but appears solid...

Next group: Guerrier,Ginter, Rogowski, Reyes, Vining, Kane, Wylie, West, Stumm, Majewski, Allen, Bittner, Bullard, Munoz, Sweeney, Wing, Webster

Closest to being in the top 10 group:
1) Allen
2) Munoz
3) Guerrier
4) Ginter

We have a ton of guys in the lower levels who have awesome tools, but no mental or physical abilities to use them. Our pitching development has proven able to turn these guys into prodective players, and I am confident, a whole new crop of prospects will crop up next year.

I expect us all to be talking about Malone, Munoz, Ulacia, Honel, and Allen this year...

kermittheefrog
12-18-2001, 05:45 PM
My list would look like this:

1. Mighty Joe Borchard
2. That Tall guy
3. Corwin Malone
Doesn't seem like their evaluation is as off as others make it seem but I think they are underrating him. I've seen much more encouraging reports about his breaking ball and you can't deny the results.
4. Joe Crede
It was tough deciding whether to put Crede or Hummel first but Crede is more advanced so he gets the nod.
5. Tim Hummel
6. Miguel Olivo
I think this guy is underrated and could breakthrough if the Sox just let him catch fulltime rather than sharing the load.
7. Dennis Ulacia
I almost put him 8th but then looked at his end of the season stint at AA. Dominating.
8. Guillermo Reyes
I like this guy, he's young for where he is in the minors and he's shown solid plate discipline.
9. Matt Ginter
He should be a major league reliever.
10. Andy Gonzalez
Definitely got this spot because of his scouting reports, he's not advanced enough to get a good read on his performance.

Edwin Almonte is a guy who I think is overrated. His stats really aren't that special. If you want to see good numbers for a minor league closer look at what Armando Benitez did in the minors as a reliever. That's an idea of what future closers look like in the minors. Plus good prospects tend to not end up closers in the minors. I think Kyle Kane is much more impressive and the Sox liked him enough to send him to the AFL. Almonte didn't even crack 9 Ks/G.

West, Honel, Guerrier, Rogowski and Chris Amador would be my next group although that's in no particular order. I don't think Guerrier is anywhere near dominant enough to be placed where some other people have him, he's a sinker/slider type that will probably end up in the back of the rotation or in long relief. Majewski and Stumm definitely have potential to show up high on this list next year.

Does anyone know much of anything about Delvis Lantigua?

RichH55
12-18-2001, 06:32 PM
Dear lord...Lui Rodrigeuz still makes prospect lists? That is somewhat scary to me for some reason...he's going for the Joey Cora/Craig Grebeck thing where they just seemed to be around forever....Grant Hill at Duke had that same type of feel....you would look up and he would be out there and you would be like shouldnt he be somewhere else now?

Jerry_Manuel
12-18-2001, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Dear lord...Lui Rodrigeuz still makes prospect lists?

I must have missed something because this is the first time the name Liu Rodriguez has been used in this thread.

RichH55
12-18-2001, 06:47 PM
Hey this time it isn't my fault! I read all the words:) Liu is mentioned in the article from the original post, so thats what I was referencing

:hitless
Gotta love those all glove, no hit infielders!

kermittheefrog
12-18-2001, 06:52 PM
Hey this time it isn't my fault! I read all the words:) Liu is mentioned in the article from the original post, so thats what I was referencing

:hitless
Gotta love those all glove, no hit infielders!

At least Liu is pretty patient at the dish.

MattSharp
12-18-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Champ Summers

1. Borchard
2. Rauch
3. Malone
4. Crede
5. Hummel
6. Guerrier
7. Ulacia
8. Olivo
9. Ginter
10. Almonte

-------------------------------------------------

Thank god we have some LHP Prospects now.

Has BA always made you subscribe to view their pages? I seem to remember reading their pages last year, but I never paid?

Jerry_Manuel
12-18-2001, 06:57 PM

My bad, I didn't read the article.

kermittheefrog
12-18-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Has BA always made you subscribe to view their pages? I seem to remember reading their pages last year, but I never paid?

BA has been charging for content for several months now but before that everything was free.