PDA

View Full Version : Thome Offers to Go to Arizona to Get Konerko Back

Unregistered
11-25-2005, 10:47 AM
(As per Scot Gregor's Article)

Thome is obviously already getting into the mix of things:

Konerko often has talked about his admiration for Thome, who used to play for the rival Cleveland Indians before moving to Philadelphia in 2003.

Thome feels the same way about Konerko, and he already has offered to fly to Arizona to personally push for Konerko to return to the Sox.

Another interesting note that might end speculation about who will be in CF in '06:

As for Rowand’s replacement, forget the Florida Marlins’ Juan Pierre. The Sox are not interested.

Williams is confident 23-year-old center fielder Brian Anderson is ready to step in and perform at a high level, despite playing in just 13 games this season.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=125348

fquaye149
11-25-2005, 10:48 AM

Another interesting note that might end speculation about who will be in CF in '06:

As good a guy as Crash was, it looks like we picked ourselves a hell of a guy in Thome as well:bandance:

ChiSoxIn06
11-25-2005, 10:49 AM
man he didnt waste any time getting into the mix of things huh.

A.T. Money
11-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Very nice. Go get him, Jim.

LongLiveFisk
11-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Great attitude! I like it! :D:

The Dude
11-25-2005, 11:09 AM
This is the perfect example of the KW type of player! Bring PK back Jimbo!

slavko
11-25-2005, 11:11 AM
I might get to like him yet, even tho he's a Cub fan who killed us for ten years.

Steelrod
11-25-2005, 11:29 AM

WOW!
And Crede says that Thome is the player he admires the most!! All good, either way!

Baby Fisk
11-25-2005, 11:38 AM
This trade was a fiasco!

Seriously tho...

:worship: THOME!

This guy will fill in the "heart and soul of the team" gap left by Rowand, in spades!

PAPChiSox729
11-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Amazing. Thome is quickly becoming one of my favorite players on this team. Go get 'em Jim!

miker
11-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I might get to like him yet, even tho he's a Cub fan who killed us for ten years.
It's a conspiracy! They're going to use players who are Cub fans to destroy our team!

hose
11-25-2005, 11:49 AM
I say Thome has Paulie bull roped in under 10 seconds.

Out of the position players Thome has to be the official Hoss of the team now, 6'4 245

balke
11-25-2005, 11:52 AM
From all I've heard from people that actually are involved from the White Sox, Rowand seemed to be the most in love with the White Sox out of anyone. I've heard some good stories about that guy.

Unfortunately, there was a log jam building in that position, and Rowand's offense struggled last season. Ever since we got Anderson to sign, I've heard he's going to be a superstar all around outfielder. I hope things go as planned, he plays great D at least from what I've seen, and the power is there.

I like having a good lefty in Thome on the team. Hopefully the elbow is okay for next season, and Thome/Konerko can dominate in the Cell with some great leadoff men in front of them.

veeter
11-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Like Aaron said, he had the perfect situation. Played for the world champion White Sox in the same town as his beloved Bears. He had the world by the tail. Thome, though, will be a folk hero instantly. I love the guy.

DumpJerry
11-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Who is Aaron Rowand?

All kidding aside, I feel bad for ARow- he really loved being with the Sox and we loved having him. However, no teal here, I think the move to Philly will get him the Gold Glove he deserved this year.

Maybe we'll see him in October.......

BTW, it now looks like I'll be at the Urinal this year finally (since 1973, I've been to two games there-one in 1984 and a Sox game in '04) when the Phillies come to town. Wouldn't it be a hoot if several hundred Sox fans were there cheering on ARow to the chagrin of the Frat Crowd?:cool:

Thome has already won our hearts and souls and he has not yet hit a walk-off against the Tribe on Opening Night!:D:

Black Sox
11-25-2005, 12:38 PM
man he didnt waste any time getting into the mix of things huh.

Great sig, man. Love the irony there.

Jjav829
11-25-2005, 12:53 PM
That's pretty ****ing cool! :thumbsup:

Thome might just become my favorite White Sox player by Spring Training.

Also, does anyone know when the press conference to introduce Thome is going to be? It was originally supposed to be today, but Thome had problems getting out of Cleveland because of the snow storms. I heard that Thome was considering renting a car to drive to Chicago so that he could get here quickly, but I'm not sure what happened with that.

Ron Karkovice
11-25-2005, 12:54 PM

same with yours man... That's got to be one of the funniest shows ever.

hose
11-25-2005, 01:03 PM
That's pretty ****ing cool! :thumbsup:

Thome might just become my favorite White Sox player by Spring Training.

Also, does anyone know when the press conference to introduce Thome is going to be? It was originally supposed to be today, but Thome had problems getting out of Cleveland because of the snow storms. I heard that Thome was considering renting a car to drive to Chicago so that he could get here quickly, but I'm not sure what happened with that.

I'm sure Daver has a blown 502 Chevy big block powered snowmobile available if needed. That could get Thome here quick.

MarySwiss
11-25-2005, 01:20 PM
When he gets here, he can call me for help if Paulie won't cooperate. I'll kick in with a couple of bottles of single malt. :D:

dickallen15
11-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Didn't Thome sign with Philadelphia because the Player's Association put pressure on him to sign for the most money being offerred? Isn't Konerko most likely under that same pressure now? Thome would be the perfect guy to talk to him.

Black Sox
11-25-2005, 01:35 PM
same with yours man... That's got to be one of the funniest shows ever.

Its my personal favorite. Unfortunately its been cancelled.

batmanZoSo
11-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I offered to personally fly to Arizona to get Konerko back here weeks ago, and nobody made a big fuss about it. :mad: :cool:

Daver
I'm sure Daver has a blown 502 Chevy big block powered snowmobile available if needed. That could get Thome here quick.

If I could afford a 502 I would not put it in a snowmobile, I'd find an old Gremlin to put it in.

:redneck

JohnBasedowYoda
All he can say is C'MON! C'MONNNNNNNNN!
http://members.fortunecity.com/rlschatz/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/familyguy2uu.jpg

That's supposed to be a pic of peter griffin

Ol' No. 2
11-25-2005, 02:09 PM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/thome.jpg http://images.hollywood.com/images/4_2401608.jpg We'll make him an offer he can't refuse.

downstairs
11-25-2005, 02:24 PM
All well and good... you can't dislike that attitude...

But lets face it, unless he brings a few $10 million dollar bills with him, its not going to help.

Its a business. Konerko is going to go where he's going to make the most money.

"The most money" doesn't always mean pure salary... he may find that taking a little less with the White Sox is a good business move because of the rep he's developed here (read: endorsements, popularity)... but it IS a dollars game.

Ol' No. 2
11-25-2005, 02:46 PM
All well and good... you can't dislike that attitude...

But lets face it, unless he brings a few $10 million dollar bills with him, its not going to help.

Its a business. Konerko is going to go where he's going to make the most money.

"The most money" doesn't always mean pure salary... he may find that taking a little less with the White Sox is a good business move because of the rep he's developed here (read: endorsements, popularity)... but it IS a dollars game.I think you're painting with a pretty broad brush. There are undoubtedly those for whom it is purely the most dollars. But there are plenty of others (maybe even a majority) for whom non-financial considerations are just as important. Players are intensely competitive, and many players will take less money for a chance to win. Players also have to deal with a team's management on a day-to-day basis, and anyone who's ever had to deal with a crappy boss can understand why a player might take less money to play for a team with good management. Javier Vazquez wants to go somewhere closer to his Puerto Rico home, and he'd probably take a few less dollars to do so if necessary. There are all sorts of factors besides money.

In this case I believe there are a number of reasons why Konerko might come back to the White Sox even if they were slightly outbid. But in the end, I don't think any team is going to make him an offer that the Sox won't match. The issue is how long can they wait?

ChiSoxIn06
11-25-2005, 02:51 PM

thanks...once i saw it i knew it had to be my sig

MadetoOrta
11-25-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm wondering if, due to the market for Paulie not being as lucrative as he expected, there's a Konerko face saving component to Thome making the trip to Arizona. Here goes: if the offers for Paulie are generally in the same ballpark or less than the Sox offer, Paulie does a "I want to stay with the Sox and playing with Jim just seals the deal". Makes Paulie look benevolent, is a brilliant marketing move for him long and short term and it allows Paulie to come back and not look like no one would pay ridiculous sums for his services Landis suspected would be forthcoming. Just bizarre speculation on my part.

soltrain21
11-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Paulie and Ozzie own Chicago right now. Konerko will realize it and will not leave.

NardiWasHere
11-25-2005, 03:20 PM
haha this is so Thome... I remember hearing on B&B when the cubs were thinking of signing him that he calls teamates in the offseason to wish them happy birthday. Needless to say, Dan had fun with it.

ShoelessJoeS
11-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow, my respect for Thome has literally doubled in 5 minutes. :D:

starboy0
11-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Who is Aaron Rowand?

[color=black]...BTW, it now looks like I'll be at the Urinal this year finally (since 1973, I've been to two games there-one in 1984 and a Sox game in '04) when the Phillies come to town. Wouldn't it be a hoot if several hundred Sox fans were there cheering on ARow to the chagrin of the Frat Crowd?:cool: :D:

Count on me to be there. When is Philly in town first? I will go and wear my Rowand jersey.

BeefyD
11-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I've always had high respect for Thome, as well as he does for Chicago and Illinois. As much as he always KILLED US, he seems like a genuine nice guy. I was lucky enough to meet him once at a Pitch-and-Hit club banquet, and he was very generous to talk to me for a few minutes. Seems to care about fans.

As much as I (and my wife) are Rowand fans, I have to separate the sadness from the happiness. I love getting Thome! Do I wish it would've been Thome for Marte? Sure. But oh well. Thome will be right behind Konerko in love from this city.

I'm already practicing my THOME! THOME! THOME! for Opening Day!
Let's see that darn press conference so I can get my Thome jersey!! :)

MarySwiss
11-25-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm wondering if, due to the market for Paulie not being as lucrative as he expected, there's a Konerko face saving component to Thome making the trip to Arizona. Here goes: if the offers for Paulie are generally in the same ballpark or less than the Sox offer, Paulie does a "I want to stay with the Sox and playing with Jim just seals the deal". Makes Paulie look benevolent, is a brilliant marketing move for him long and short term and it allows Paulie to come back and not look like no one would pay ridiculous sums for his services Landis suspected would be forthcoming. Just bizarre speculation on my part.

Thought of this as well, but I doubt it, based on the characters of the guys involved, and the character of the Sox team.

Now, if it were some East Coast team....

TomBradley72
11-25-2005, 09:29 PM
BTW, it now looks like I'll be at the Urinal this year finally (since 1973, I've been to two games there-one in 1984 and a Sox game in '04) when the Phillies come to town. Wouldn't it be a hoot if several hundred Sox fans were there cheering on ARow to the chagrin of the Frat Crowd?:cool:

Still can't stomach the idea of the Urinal...but I will be paying my respects to Aaron when he makes his first appearance at Miller Park on May 16th. :gulp:

chisox77
11-25-2005, 11:50 PM
After arriving in Arizona, Thome treats PK to a fine meal at a popular restaurant. The following is the conversation:

Thome: "Dude, you should stay. It'll be so awesome."
PK: "How much do you think I should sign for?"
Thome: "Dude, just sign. It'll be so awesome."
PK: "Do you think I can get a fifth year out of them?"
Thome: "Dude, we can like end our careers together in Chicago. It'll be so awesome."
PK: "Five years/70 million?"
Thome: "Dude, go for the option on number five. It'll be so awesome."
PK: "So four years/56 million, with an option?"
Thome: "Dude, get your agent on the phone now! It's a done deal man. It'll be so awesome."
PK: (pulls out phone, smiling, hits the speed dial feature) "Let's get you a ring, man."
Thome: "Dude, way to go. Hey and after we're done here, do you want to go and see that new Tom Cruise movie? I hear it's awesome."

:cool:

ChiSoxGirl
11-25-2005, 11:59 PM
After arriving in Arizona, Thome treats PK to a fine meal at a popular restaurant. The following is the conversation:

Thome: "Dude, we can like end our careers together in Chicago. It'll be so awesome."
Thome: "Dude, get your agent on the phone now! It's a done deal man. It'll be so awesome."
PK: (pulls out phone, smiling, hits the speed dial feature) "Let's get you a ring, man."
Thome: "Dude, way to go. Hey and after we're done here, do you want to go and see that new Tom Cruise movie? I hear it's awesome."

LOL! :roflmao:

Palehose13
11-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Still can't stomach the idea of the Urinal...but I will be paying my respects to Aaron when he makes his first appearance at Miller Park on May 16th. :gulp:

Meet ya' at Friday's Front Row and then head to the Phillies hotel after the game?

Fungo
11-26-2005, 09:27 AM
WOW!
And Crede says that Thome is the player he admires the most!! All good, either way!Good thing it wasn't Knoerko who said that....this board would have had a field day.:redneck

palehozenychicty
11-26-2005, 09:42 AM

:D: that is hysterical. i love it and want it to really happen this way.

SOXSINCE'70
11-26-2005, 09:47 AM

IMHO,this might be POTW (Post Of The Week) material.:cool: :cool:

Joosh
11-26-2005, 10:45 AM

OMG, that is absolute genius! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Get it done, Thome!

rmusacch
11-26-2005, 12:25 PM

I don't think that will necessarily end speculation. Kenny has been known to say one thing in the past and do another. It could a negotiating ploy to get Florida to lower their asking price for Pierre.

Palehose13
11-26-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't think that will necessarily end speculation. Kenny has been known to say one thing in the past and do another. It could a negotiating ploy to get Florida to lower their asking price for Pierre.

Absolutely. IIRC, KW said the same thing about Rowand...and then signed Lofton. After was Lofton was gone, it was Aaron's job again...until Crazy Carl came into town.

Don't forget that Kenny likes to fly under the radar. :cool:

voodoochile
11-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Good thing it wasn't Knoerko who said that....this board would have had a field day.:redneck

What if it was Terrell Owens commenting on how he thought Favre was a better QB than McNabb?

Maybe people will now start understanding how this kind of stuff has no place on a team.

Personally, I thought Crede's comment was a way of sticking it to PK for all the crappy comments he made last year regarding past and present players. About time someone got a shot in at PK publicly maybe it will send a message to keep his fat yap shut and just play baseball.

Love the player, love the attitude, love the way he represented at the rally, hate that mouth...

fquaye149
11-26-2005, 02:33 PM
What if it was Terrell Owens commenting on how he thought Favre was a better QB than McNabb?

Maybe people will now start understanding how this kind of stuff has no place on a team.

Personally, I thought Crede's comment was a way of sticking it to PK for all the crappy comments he made last year regarding past and present players. About time someone got a shot in at PK publicly maybe it will send a message to keep his fat yap shut and just play baseball.

Love the player, love the attitude, love the way he represented at the rally, hate that mouth...

:D: voodoo: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

joepoe
11-26-2005, 10:31 PM

I can just hear Thome: "I got my big bucks, but you should forego some of yours so we can play together." Paulie should tell him to pound sand for such a self-serving gesture.

fquaye149
11-26-2005, 11:42 PM
I can just hear Thome: "I got my big bucks, but you should forego some of yours so we can play together." Paulie should tell him to pound sand for such a self-serving gesture.

He never said he was going to ask Paulie to take less. He just said he'd go down and try to convince him to come back to the Sox. It's like when you're recruiting college athletes, you send one of the varsity players to show them around and assure them what a good program you have. Of course this analogy is flawed since Paulie knows the ropes better than anyone. But you get the drift.

South Side Irish
11-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Didn't Thome sign with Philadelphia because the Player's Association put pressure on him to sign for the most money being offerred? Isn't Konerko most likely under that same pressure now? Thome would be the perfect guy to talk to him.

Very, very good point, DA15.

I think the MLBPA puts a lot of pressure on guys to go after big bucks so the dominos fall and lots of others "below" him are helped. I think that this is wrong, and Thome probably understands how Paulie feels. He and Furcal are the biggest name (non-Borass) FA this year.

BTW... could a team "lie" to the press about the terms of a players contract? For example, if the WS wanted the MLBPA to back off Paulie and say they gave him 5/75 and really gave him 4/50, would that be wrong?

Just wondering....:gulp: Makes me do that.

I love Sam Adams Oktoberfest!

TomBradley72
11-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Meet ya' at Friday's Front Row and then head to the Phillies hotel after the game?

Count me in! I'm way up in the northern suburbs...Miller Park is actually a mile closer than the Cell....I'll even have the first Padre game on my calendar to give props to Blum.

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Count me in! I'm way up in the northern suburbs...Miller Park is actually a mile closer than the Cell....I'll even have the first Padre game on my calendar to give props to Blum.

Sweet. Let's get the details when it gets closer to the date.

Steelrod
11-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Very, very good point, DA15.

I think the MLBPA puts a lot of pressure on guys to go after big bucks so the dominos fall and lots of others "below" him are helped. I think that this is wrong, and Thome probably understands how Paulie feels. He and Furcal are the biggest name (non-Borass) FA this year.

BTW... could a team "lie" to the press about the terms of a players contract? For example, if the WS wanted the MLBPA to back off Paulie and say they gave him 5/75 and really gave him 4/50, would that be wrong?

Just wondering....:gulp: Makes me do that.

I love Sam Adams Oktoberfest!
Nope, all salaries are published.

gaelhound
11-27-2005, 05:26 PM
It's a conspiracy! They're going to use players who are Cub fans to destroy our team!
Ron Kittle grew up a fan of the Chicago NL represenative IIRC!

MarySwiss
11-27-2005, 05:38 PM

Never heard this, but I'd doubt it. Kittle grew up in Gary, Ind. Of course, he could still have been a Cub fan, but I've never met anyone from NW Indiana who was.

tebman
11-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Never heard this, but I'd doubt it. Kittle grew up in Gary, Ind. Of course, he could still have been a Cub fan, but I've never met anyone from NW Indiana who was.
I'll vouch for that. I grew up in Hammond (like Jean Shepherd), and the Calumet Region was definitely White Sox country. Over the last 20 years there has been a creeping infection of northside-wannabes who moved to NW Indiana to take advantage of lower housing costs, but Da Region is still rich with Sox fans.

ilsox7
11-27-2005, 06:14 PM

Not positive, but I am pretty certain this is not right. Kitty was my hitting coach back in the day, and I don't ever remember him syaing anything about having been/being a fan of the Cubs. COuld be wrong though, it's been a while.

jabrch
11-27-2005, 06:20 PM

Sort of...

First his priority was to come to Chicago - to be a Cub - and play for the team he grew up rooting for. They had Hee Sop Choi, so they wouldn't talk to Thome. After that, it was a cash-grab, and the MLBPA suggested it would be best for the whole union if he push the envelope. And he did...

Now, he gets the best of both worlds...makes boatloads of cash, comes to Chicago, and is playing on the World Series Champs, and one of the AL Favorites for 2006.

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 06:22 PM

:lofton
"I grew up as a cub fan in East Chicago, IN"

MarySwiss
11-27-2005, 06:34 PM
:lofton
"I grew up as a cub fan in East Chicago, IN"

Well, I said there probably were exceptions. But I have family in NW Indiana--a bunch of cousins--and they all grew up Sox fans. As did the folks who run the sports bar that I hang out in here in the Valley.

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Wow. If Jim Thome could accomplish this feat, flying to Arizona and convincing Paulie to come back, this guy would already be a folk-hero here.

As for his "cub" fan days ....... he did a world of GOOD in my eyes, when on the day of his trade, he said he was a "fan of both chicago teams for years". Thats good enough for me. I dont mind seeing Anderson in CF, but Id rather have Pierre there, and after Dyes final season in 06, let Anderson and Sweeney fight it out for the outfield spot. Then, bring back Rowand in 07.

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 06:46 PM

No he didnt. He grew up in Gary IN, and was always a fan of the Chicago White Sox, ballclub, the World Series Champion White Sox that is.

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Well, I said there probably were exceptions. But I have family in NW Indiana--a bunch of cousins--and they all grew up Sox fans. As did the folks who run the sports bar that I hang out in here in the Valley.

I went to high school in LaPorte and knew quite a few cub fans. When I was in College (St. Joe's in Rensselaer), my friends from the region were split. However, my Sox fan friends were definitely fans and followed the season while the cub fan friends were very casual fans. I would imagine that Kittle was a Sox fan. :wink:

TheOldRoman
11-27-2005, 07:03 PM
...and after Dyes final season in 06...
*shakes head*
You just can't let it go, can you?
Please seek help.

Frater Perdurabo
11-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Wow. If Jim Thome could accomplish this feat, flying to Arizona and convincing Paulie to come back, this guy would already be a folk-hero here.

As for his "cub" fan days ....... he did a world of GOOD in my eyes, when on the day of his trade, he said he was a "fan of both chicago teams for years". Thats good enough for me. I dont mind seeing Anderson in CF, but Id rather have Pierre there, and after Dyes final season in 06, let Anderson and Sweeney fight it out for the outfield spot. Then, bring back Rowand in 07.

Hangar, I'd like it even better if Thome would fly to Brian Giles' house to convince him to play CF for the White Sox. I think he could be as effective as Rowand in the Cell's small, gap-free CF. Giles would be cheaper than Konerko, meaning the Sox would have the payroll flexibility to add pieces at the trade deadline. Anderson still could play OF 4-5 games per week just to give everyone else a rest, but there would be plenty of ABs for Frank as the primary DH (4 games per week). But look at this lineup:

Pods-Iguchi-Giles-Frank-Thome-Dye-AJ-Crede-Uribe

We would get to see both Frank and Thome puruse the 500 HR mark while wearing Sox pinstripes, with plenty of runners on base for both of them. Imagine all the great fastballs everyone would see as well.

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 07:07 PM
*shakes head*
You just can't let it go, can you?
Please seek help.

Please tell me, WHY you think we should keep Jermaine Dye after next season?
Pods, Anderson, Sweeney, potentially having Pierre, theres too many people.

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Hangar, I'd like it even better if Thome would fly to Brian Giles' house to convince him to play CF for the White Sox. I think he could be as effective as Rowand in the Cell's small, gap-free CF. Giles would be cheaper than Konerko, meaning the Sox would have the payroll flexibility to add pieces at the trade deadline. Anderson still could play OF 4-5 games per week just to give everyone else a rest, but there would be plenty of ABs for Frank as the primary DH (4 games per week). But look at this lineup:

Pods-Iguchi-Giles-Frank-Thome-Dye-AJ-Crede-Uribe

We would get to see both Frank and Thome puruse the 500 HR mark while wearing Sox pinstripes, with plenty of runners on base for both of them. Imagine all the great fastballs everyone would see as well.

This may end up happening if Konerko signs elsewhere. Thats why KW wants to know by 12/8, we'll probably end up seeing some wheeling-and-dealing on his part. Only good thing, is we'd see Frank back then most likely :)

TheOldRoman
11-27-2005, 07:11 PM
It's not that I think we should keep Dye. It is the fact that you are rejoicing in anticipation of the moment when the World Series MVP is no longer on the Sox. You will start a new "end the Jermaine Dye experiment NOW" thread if he goes 0-5 on opening day.
Just let it go.

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 07:14 PM

For a guy that misses Carlos Lee a ton, Dye's stats are very comparable to CLee's and he is a much better fielder. I can't understand why you want Pierre and are willing to dump Dye.

FarWestChicago
11-27-2005, 07:18 PM
For a guy that misses Carlos Lee a ton, Dye's stats are very comparable to CLee's and he is a much better fielder. I can't understand why you want Pierre and are willing to dump Dye.Hangar is certifiably insane. Of course you can't understand him. :redneck

Daver
11-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Hangar is certifiably insane. Of course you can't understand him. :redneck

He really should consider switching to a better brand of tinfoil.

Palehose13
11-27-2005, 07:30 PM

Industrial strength, perhaps?

Mr. White Sox
11-27-2005, 09:15 PM
This is the perfect example of the KW type of player! Bring PK back Jimbo!

But, but!!! People say Thome isn't a GRINDER!!! O NOES!!!

AZSoxFAN
11-27-2005, 10:16 PM

I'll pick him up at the airport and drive him to Paradise Valley, if that will help. :bandance:

Deuce
11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/1986/tinfoilhat29qx.jpg

Been waiting to use this for a while... :redneck

It's Time
11-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Someone please tell me what the tinfoil reference means?

Hangar18
11-28-2005, 10:46 AM
For a guy that misses Carlos Lee a ton, Dye's stats are very comparable to CLee's and he is a much better fielder. I can't understand why you want Pierre and are willing to dump Dye.

Carlos Lee has nothing to do with this. October Joe shouldve gotten the MVP
but thats another debate. Why Dump Dye after next year? Why Not.
Juan Pierre is WAY faster, and it allows the SOX to have a spot open for either
Anderson or Sweeney. Simple as that.

fquaye149
11-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Juan Pierre hit for **** last year. Dye had 30 HR and hit .270. You want to dump him why? He also is a pretty decent outfielder and our only outfielder capable of an outfield assist.

But yeah, PIERRRRRRE will replace him...?

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM

The reason why I brought up Carlos Lee is because you were one of the people ranting the most about the Lee/Podsednik trade. You kept going on and on about missing his power. OTOH, you are the biggest Dye hater on the board. I find it ironic being that they have comparable hitting stats, but Dye is much better defensively.

You want an OF of Podsednik/Pierre/Anderson? *shudder* You must be thinking of the '03 model Juan Pierre. He hasn't been good since.

Dye may leave after next year, but I am not going to escort him out of town. I'll take his decent average with good power and excellent defense over a flash in the pan or a rookie.

BTW...Dye didn't rob anyone of MVP. He deserved it. Crede played well also, but not as well as Dye.

World Series
Crede .352, 3RBI, 2R
Dye .437, 3RBI, 2R

Hangar18
11-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Juan Pierre hit for **** last year. Dye had 30 HR and hit .270. You want to dump him why? He also is a pretty decent outfielder and our only outfielder capable of an outfield assist.

But yeah, PIERRRRRRE will replace him...?

NO...........just anticipating making room for either Anderson or Sweeney.
They cant have all of those guys out there. If Dye is on a one-year contract
now, why not get RF ready for Anderson or Sweeney, with Pierre ready now.
Heck, if Pierre cant hit, use him late innings then ...........

Palehose13
11-28-2005, 03:40 PM

Pierre isn't even in the White Sox organization. It baffles me why you assume that he is.

fquaye149
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM

if ONE of the Sweeney/Anderson/Owens/Young foursome becomes the caliber outfielder Dye is I'll be pretty happy.

Remember these are prospects. More likely is we'll end up with four Jeremy Reeds, give or take.