PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Joey Gathright?

Jjav829
11-24-2005, 11:02 AM
The hottest commodity is believed to be centerfielder Joey Gathright with nine teams showing interest including the Dodgers, who seem the most ardent, the Cubs and the White Sox. The Padres were thought to be out front but apparently don't have the minor-league depth to provide the high-end prospects the Rays covet.

Gathright is an interesting guy. There is probably no faster player in baseball. He would certainly fit that role of another speed guy at the top of the lineup. The question is whether he can get on enough to make use of that speed. He's basically a less proven version of Juan Pierre, though I do believe Gathright is a better defensive player.

Also, the article says:

The Rangers, Cubs, White Sox, Red Sox and Orioles have apparently inquired about rightfielder/DH Aubrey Huff. The Mets still seem interested in closer Danys Baez and the Braves, especially if they lose Rafael Furcal to free agency, could make a run at shortstop Julio Lugo.

I think that the interest in Huff was probably pre-Thome. Unless Konerko leaves I doubt the Sox would still have interest in Huff.

Link (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/11/24/Rays/Miles_away__Friedman_.shtml)

JermaineDye05
11-24-2005, 11:07 AM
ugh you beat me to it

JUribe1989
11-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Devil Rays don't need Gathright with their crowded outfielder. They could use Hollins even as their 4th OF. I think we give him a shot. He's the fastest player in the league without question and he seems like a cheaper option to try in the 2 Spot. Maybe platoon him and Anderson. Gathright would be a perfect fit for the team IMO.

mdep524
11-24-2005, 11:26 AM
This is interesting. I don't know what to make of Gathright, and I personally haven't seen him play enough to make any solid judgments.

For reference, here was his 2005 line:

.276 avg, 0 HR, 13 RBI, 20/25 SB, .316 OBP, 39 K, 10 BB, in 76 games

He's only 24 years old. Those numbers aren't all that impressive, especially the low OBP and lack of walks. However, those numbers are very similar to what Carl Crawford did in his first season with Tampa before he exploded in '03.

My initial reaction is we already have a player in the Gathright mode who has better numbers and will cost us nothing to acquire: Willie Harris.

Willie only hit .256 this season, but his OBP was .333, still higher than Gathright's. If Willie turned the corner after his demotion to AAA, he might be a better option than trading for another player in his mold, especially considering our own Jerry Owens seems well on his way.

This gets me thinking, remember in 2003 when Willie played a little CF? How bad was he out there? I wonder if he could split time with Anderson in CF next year, if...IF... he proves he deserves the at bats.

socko82
11-24-2005, 11:47 AM
He fills the bill for Ozzie's request for more speed. He's doesn't make much and is a couple years away from arbitration. He's lefthanded so he'd be a perfect platoon with Anderson in center until one of them takes the job full time. Tampa has 6 outfielders on their roster who could play full time and a new GM probably itching to make his first deal. All in all a much better option than Pierre. Make it happen Kenny....

Canadian_SoxFan
11-24-2005, 12:13 PM
I've always been a big fan of Gathright. I think he would fit the #2 hole, and this would allow Iguchi to bad 6th. He is still young and with Pods and him at the top of the order, follwed by Thome and hopefully Konerko; we can get off to a quick start by scoring early.

Tragg
11-24-2005, 12:28 PM
How is he worth top prospects? He hasn't done much more than a prospect and shows neither a batting eye nor power. Maybe he showed some discipline in the minors.
Crawford himself still refuses to take a walk.

broker3d
11-24-2005, 09:04 PM
This Gathright idea is very intriguing.

FedEx227
11-25-2005, 11:22 AM
I love Joey, while hes still a little unproven he had a great minor league career and his raw speed is just amazing. If you haven't seen this guy live or on TV, WOW...he turns doubles into triples easily.

Soxzilla
11-25-2005, 12:00 PM
I love Joey, while hes still a little unproven he had a great minor league career and his raw speed is just amazing. If you haven't seen this guy live or on TV, WOW...he turns doubles into triples easily.

I can vouch for this, this kid can flat out fly.

buehrle4cy05
11-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Wow. As much as I'm for playing Brian Anderson in center, I would much rather start Gathright there.

broker3d
11-25-2005, 10:33 PM
are they sox actually looking at the guy or is it just pure board speculation?

The Deacon
11-25-2005, 10:43 PM

Board speculation. Why would we be interested in a career minor leaguer with skills that we currently have in the minors?? We already have him. Their names are Owens and Young.
It was probably started by the same person who actually thinks the DRays would trade the 23 year old Carl Crawford.

Tragg
11-25-2005, 11:05 PM
His .316 OBP (2 years, same OBP each) with no power would kill our offense in the 2 hole. (compare that to Iguchi's .340 with a bit of power). It would probably get worse in the 2 hole as he'd have to do a lot of protecting of Podsednik.
Thome and Konerko don't need a lot of steals in front of them - they aren't singles hitters. They need good baserunners on base, for sure.

Chisox003
11-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Board speculation. Why would we be interested in a career minor leaguer with skills that we currently have in the minors?? We already have him. Their names are Owens and Young.
It was probably started by the same person who actually thinks the DRays would trade the 23 year old Carl Crawford.
I think I agree with you...

It's a little intriguing, but we are stockpiled with minor league OF's....Gathright is hardly proven, so I'd still consider him somewhat of a prospect

I think either A) Just leaving Gooch in the 2 hole or B) Giving one of our guys a shot, is better than trading for Joey G.

And once PK signs, the Huff "speculation" will go away too...I have a feeling after that, and maybe an addition to the pen, we'll be looking at the '06 White Sox....With Brian Anderson in CF

Who's excited?

Jjav829
11-26-2005, 10:12 AM

Uhh, did you even bother to read the first post in the thread? :?: If you did you would have noticed a link to the St. Petersburg Times where the author claims the Sox one of nine teams interested in Gathright.

samram
11-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Uhh, did you even bother to read the first post in the thread? :?: If you did you would have noticed a link to the St. Petersburg Times where the author claims the Sox one of nine teams interested in Gathright.

So you're saying people should read other posts in the thread before composing their own posts? Sounds like too much work.

On the Gathright thing, I like him, and he would certainly add the speed element that Ozzie seems to want. However, is it worth it to acquire a guy who isn't a sure thing to fill that supposed void? If this was Crawford, I would be excited because I know what he would bring to the table- he's better than any outfielder the Sox have. On the other hand, we don't know that Gathright would even be better than Anderson.

Of course, I tend to trust KW's judgment. If he acquired him, I would simply figure he believes Gathright to be better than any prospect the Sox have who could play this season.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 10:42 AM
I think I agree with you...

It's a little intriguing, but we are stockpiled with minor league OF's....Gathright is hardly proven, so I'd still consider him somewhat of a prospect

I think either A) Just leaving Gooch in the 2 hole or B) Giving one of our guys a shot, is better than trading for Joey G.

And once PK signs, the Huff "speculation" will go away too...I have a feeling after that, and maybe an addition to the pen, we'll be looking at the '06 White Sox....With Brian Anderson in CF

Who's excited?

Either Gathright or Nook Logan would make sense, because they would be platoon players and they would be fairly inexpensive (Sean Tracey, etc.) to acquire. Probably not even that much.

Logan is blocked now by Curtis Granderson, but both these guys are probably among the five fastest in baseball...but speed (see Harris, Willie) doesn´t always equal stolen bases.

We also have Owens and Young that are blazers in the minors...not quite in the same category as Logan and Justin. We have lots of intriguing athletic combinations in the outfield, with Anderson and Sweeney of course figuring into the mix as well.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 10:46 AM
So you're saying people should read other posts in the thread before composing their own posts? Sounds like too much work.

On the Gathright thing, I like him, and he would certainly add the speed element that Ozzie seems to want. However, is it worth it to acquire a guy who isn't a sure thing to fill that supposed void? If this was Crawford, I would be excited because I know what he would bring to the table- he's better than any outfielder the Sox have. On the other hand, we don't know that Gathright would even be better than Anderson.

Of course, I tend to trust KW's judgment. If he acquired him, I would simply figure he believes Gathright to be better than any prospect the Sox have who could play this season.

Not that he is better...but that he is the best-equipped player for the 2006 season to give the White Sox a chance to defend their championship. The same argument goes along with a J. Pierre acquisition for one season.

Undoubtedly, KW favors Anderson and Young as starting outfielders over most outside options, but the debate centers on 2006 versus 2007. We need to have some of these younger players in the mix to balance the payroll over future allocations.

samram
11-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Not that he is better...but that he is the best-equipped player for the 2006 season to give the White Sox a chance to defend their championship. The same argument goes along with a J. Pierre acquisition for one season.

Undoubtedly, KW favors Anderson and Young as starting outfielders over most outside options, but the debate centers on 2006 versus 2007. We need to have some of these younger players in the mix to balance the payroll over future allocations.

Right. Tha's exactly what I said in my last post. I can also see him being acquired as a future Pods replacement. Not for 2006, but for 2007 and beyond- Gathright in LF, Young in CF, Anderson in RF, perhaps.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Right. Tha's exactly what I said in my last post. I can also see him being acquired as a future Pods replacement. Not for 2006, but for 2007 and beyond- Gathright in LF, Young in CF, Anderson in RF, perhaps.

I see Justin a lot like Rowand...lots of debate over his viability as an everyday player. We won the WS with Rowand starting, I never thought that would happen.

If Young and Anderson can put up 20-30 homers per season, we can have a singles hitter in LF, as long as his OBP is high enough and he can put up 45-60 steals per season to balance the lack of power.

The Deacon
11-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I see Justin a lot like Rowand...lots of debate over his viability as an everyday player. We won the WS with Rowand starting, I never thought that would happen.

If Young and Anderson can put up 20-30 homers per season, we can have a singles hitter in LF, as long as his OBP is high enough and he can put up 45-60 steals per season to balance the lack of power.

Acquiring JOEY Gathwright makes no sense. He has 250 at bats in MLB. We alreadt have an EXCESS # of OF's in the minors who do the same thing he does, steal bases. I'm not a professional GM by any means, but you don't trade for your strengths, you trade for your weaknesses. Young, fast OF's are definitely not one of our weaknesses.

caulfield12
11-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Acquiring JOEY Gathwright makes no sense. He has 250 at bats in MLB. We alreadt have an EXCESS # of OF's in the minors who do the same thing he does, steal bases. I'm not a professional GM by any means, but you don't trade for your strengths, you trade for your weaknesses. Young, fast OF's are definitely not one of our weaknesses.

As mentioned, it only makes sense if KW thinks he is the best option for the 2006 season, to win again.

Gathwright has more experience than Anderson-Owens-Young, so it has to at least be a thought....although I think he would be much more likely to go the Juan Pierre route than a Gathwright-Logan-George Lombard-Damon Hollins type of player that is still unproven at the MLB level.

Now if only we could get Johny Gomes. Unfortunately, he´s not going anywhere, along with Baldelli and Crawford.