PDA

View Full Version : Sox roster post-trade

Flight #24
11-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Saw this in the Trib and thought it was worth putting up here. Sox '06 roster with salaries:

Starting pitchers: Buehrle($7.75)-Garcia($10)-Contreras($6)-McCarthy($.330)
Remaining: Garland ($3.5 in 2005, arb-eligible)

Bullpen: Jenks($.330)-Politte($1.2)-Cotts($.400)-Marte($2.25)-Hermanson($3)-Duque($4.5)
Remaining: Vizcaino($1.3 in 2005, arb-eligible) or substitute

Infield: Iguchi($2.4)-Uribe($3.15)
Remaining: Konerko($8.75, FA), Crede($.400, arb-eligible), AJ($2.25, arb-eligible)

Outfield: Podsednik($1.9)- Dye($5)-Anderson($.330)

Bench: Ozuna($.500)-Widger($.650)-Borchard($.330)
Remaining: Harris($.365 in 2005, arb-eligible), Timo ($1M in 2005, arb-eligible)

DH: Thome ($8)
Total before resignings/arb awards: $58.02M

Potential '06 contracts: Konerko($13M)-Garland($7M)-AJ($5M)-Crede($1M)-Viz/alt($1M)-Timo/alt($1M)-Harris/alt($.500)-->TOTAL=$28.5M

Total '06 Salary: $86.5M

Tragg
11-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the info.

Any chance we can upgrade that bench? Get a real bat - Mueller or someone?

Crede_Fan
11-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info.

Any chance we can upgrade that bench? Get a real bat - Mueller or someone?

Yes. He's name is the Big Hurt!

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Saw this in the Trib and thought it was worth putting up here. Sox '06 roster with salaries:

Bullpen: Jenks($.330)-Politte($1.2)-Cotts($.400)-Marte($2.25)-Hermanson($3)-Duque($4.5)

Remaining: Konerko($8.75, FA), Crede($.400, arb-eligible), AJ($2.25, arb-eligible)

Remaining: Harris($.365 in 2005, arb-eligible), Timo ($1M in 2005, arb-eligible)

Potential '06 contracts: Konerko($13M)-Garland($7M)-AJ($5M)-Crede($1M)-Viz/alt($1M)-Timo/alt($1M)-Harris/alt($.500)-->TOTAL=$28.5M

Total '06 Salary: $86.5MThat's pretty close to what most of us have estimated. I think you may be a bit high on Konerko. At most his contract will average $13M, but it's likely back-end loaded at least a few million, so I'd expect his 2006 salary to be $11-12M. I think Garland is also not going to get $7M based on only one really good year. I'd expect closer to $5M for 2006. So maybe that puts them around $83M - still a little room for a tweak of two.

I'm still not satisfied with the bullpen. I'd like to see an improvement on Marte, but that shouldn't cost a whole lot more than the $2.25M he's already making. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of good possibilities out there, so don't ask me who. If Jerry Owens keeps up what he's been doing, they could pass on Timo and keep him. Ozzie wants more speed and Owens certainly has that.

OzzieBall2005
11-24-2005, 09:48 AM

I see this very possible. A couple years ago, no way. I think the merchandise us here on WSI alone have purchased can boost up payroll to this figure.

Flight #24
11-24-2005, 10:07 AM
That's pretty close to what most of us have estimated. I think you may be a bit high on Konerko. At most his contract will average $13M, but it's likely back-end loaded at least a few million, so I'd expect his 2006 salary to be $11-12M. I think Garland is also not going to get $7M based on only one really good year. I'd expect closer to $5M for 2006. So maybe that puts them around $83M - still a little room for a tweak of two.

I'm still not satisfied with the bullpen. I'd like to see an improvement on Marte, but that shouldn't cost a whole lot more than the $2.25M he's already making. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of good possibilities out there, so don't ask me who. If Jerry Owens keeps up what he's been doing, they could pass on Timo and keep him. Ozzie wants more speed and Owens certainly has that.

Agreed on everything, but I think Garland could be resigned on a Buehrle-like deal. Mark's contract was at 6-7.75-9.75, IIRC. Giving Garland the sme with a bit of inflation for time passing would have him resigned through his first 2 FA years at something like 7-8-9.

As for Konerko, I'd think at this point, the Sox would rather structure contracts so that there's more salary in the early years when they know they have the revenues. So that means evenly distributed salaries or maybe even a bit of front-loading. And it provides them roster flexibility as Paulie reaches the out years of his deal.

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Agreed on everything, but I think Garland could be resigned on a Buehrle-like deal. Mark's contract was at 6-7.75-9.75, IIRC. Giving Garland the sme with a bit of inflation for time passing would have him resigned through his first 2 FA years at something like 7-8-9.

As for Konerko, I'd think at this point, the Sox would rather structure contracts so that there's more salary in the early years when they know they have the revenues. So that means evenly distributed salaries or maybe even a bit of front-loading. And it provides them roster flexibility as Paulie reaches the out years of his deal.The difference is that Buehrle had already had several 15+ win seasons, while Garland has had only one over 12 wins. Consistency matters, and I don't think that much money is justified based on one good year (although a lot of FA pitchers have gotten more with NO good years:?:).

There may be players with front-loaded contracts, but I can't recall ever seeing one. Generally, players want big last years so teams don't offer arbitration as they go into free agency (80% rule). And revenues inevitably go up every year along with everything else. By 2010, $14M may sound like a bargain.

All this is small potatoes, though. I doubt their budget is that inflexible. If they can improve the team by spending another few million, I think they'll do it regardless of what their budget is, especially if it's not for a long-term deal. That playoff windfall gives them a lot of breathing room.

Frater Perdurabo
11-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I say let go of Konerko ($13M) and Timo ($1M), trade Uribe ($3.5M) and Marte ($2.25M) for prospects, invest the $19.75 million saved in Furcal and Giles, sign Frank to an incentive-laden deal (based on 300 plate appearances), and call it an offseason. The payroll would be about $90M, but the team would win 110 games and sweep to repeat as WS champs.

Lineup #1 Sox vs. RHP (Frank is primary PH off the bench):
DH Pods (L)
SS Furcal (S)
1B Thome (L)
LF Giles (L)
RF Dye (R)
C AJ (L)
2B Iguchi (R)
3B Crede (R)
CF Anderson (R)

This lineup features blazing speed at the top, great OBP and good power at 3 and 4, nice RBI production and 5, 6 and 7, pop at 8 and good speed at 9.

Lineup #2 - Sox vs. LHP (Pods is the primary PH and PR off the bench):
SS Furcal (S)
2B Iguchi (R)
1B Thome (L)
DH Frank (R)
LF Giles (L)
RF Dye (R)
3B Crede (R)
C Widger (R)
CF Anderson (R)

While not quite as fast, this lineup will get runers on base, move them over, and then will punish LHP with OPS and mammoth power in the middle, and good speed at the bottom.

Starters: Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Garcia, McCarthy
Bullpen: Jenks, Politte, Cotts, Hermanson, El Duque, Vizcaino
Bench: Ozuna, Harris, Borchard (those not listed in the lineups above)

If Thome gets hurt, Dye moves to first, Pods to left and Giles to right. Pods DHs against RHP to save his legs for the basepaths, but can play left to get Frank in the game and to give Giles a breather. Harris and Ozuna both can play IF and OF, and Borchard would be the best 25th man on any MLB roster as a nice switch-hitting pinch hitter and backup OF. If Frank needs extended time off, just keep DH-ing Pods and use lineup #1. If Frank goes down for the year, Kenny already knows he can trade for Carl Everett in June, because he will have acquired prospects for Uribe and Marte!

RowandKicksAss07
11-24-2005, 11:51 AM
yes that is definitely a stacked lineup...but the Sox better make up their minds quick because just about every ML team is hot on the trail for Furcal. I love the fact that we as fans and Kenny (seems like so far) is not falling in love with the 2005 White Sox. Yes, they did amazing things for us, and they will never be forgotten...but you continually always have to look at areas where you can get better because the other teams are upgrading as well. If your the one team that keeps the same roster, while the others have gotten better in the offseason, then you're basically handcuffing yourself for 2006.....on a different subject, can any one tell me how to change the screen name? Mine doesn't really apply anymore.

ChiSoxIn06
11-24-2005, 12:02 PM
why would u bench Pods against LHP? he hit better against lefties than he did righties.

balke
11-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't see there being "Extra money" for the Sox. We just subtracted a cheap Centerfielder and added a player who we are going to pay 7 mil a year I believe (3 years 22 mil?)

The best we can hope for is to sign a pitcher on for long term with what money we haven't spent on Konerko yet, and hopefully Konerko will come back for 10-13 million. I don't really think he's worth that much, but I think he deserves it, especially since everyone else is going to be willing to pay that and possibly more.

Tragg
11-24-2005, 03:15 PM

I'm reading now that the Phils picked up 1/2 of his salary; that should make him at $6.5.
We should have plenty of cash to do a few more things. We need a 4th outfielder, badly.

Tragg
11-24-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't see there being "Extra money" for the Sox. We just subtracted a cheap Centerfielder and added a player who we are going to pay 7 mil a year I believe (3 years 22 mil?)

Wasn't he scheduled to make $5 mill this year? We just saved approx $4.5 mill; add $6.5 for Thome, and it's a net increase of $2 mill.

The Dude
11-24-2005, 04:09 PM
I say let go of Konerko ($13M)

Shocker! Frater wants Konerko out! Shocker!

Tragg
11-24-2005, 04:46 PM
I say let go of Konerko ($13M) and Timo ($1M), trade Uribe ($3.5M) and Marte ($2.25M) for prospects, invest the $19.75 million saved in Furcal and Giles, sign Frank to an incentive-laden deal (based on 300 plate appearances), and call it an offseason. The payroll would be about $90M, but the team would win 110 games and sweep to repeat as WS champs.
I like the idea, although I don't think it has a chance of happening. The payroll should be the same as it is if we would sign Konerko.
Signing Konerko is good too; I'd like to cut Timo and trade Marte or someone to still bring another bat on board.

Frater Perdurabo
11-25-2005, 10:30 AM
why would u bench Pods against LHP? he hit better against lefties than he did righties.

I know. It's just that Pods' best weapon - his ability to steal second base - is limited against lefties. Of course, he would be at a bigger advantage when trying to steal third.

But that advantage would be outweighed by Frank's ability to absolutely murder lefties (1.073 in limited action in 2005 and 1.090 from 2002-2004). If Frank walks, singles, doubles or triples in the late innings, Pods would pinch run for him.

Chips
11-25-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm reading now that the Phils picked up 1/2 of his salary; that should make him at $6.5.
We should have plenty of cash to do a few more things. We need a 4th outfielder, badly.

Thome is due 46 million over the next 3 seasons. The Phillies are paying 22 million of it, so we owe him 8 million a season. Our minor league outfield system is stacked, probably the only good thing we have going for us in the minor leagues.

Flight #24
11-26-2005, 07:56 AM

FWIW - today's ST noted that per KW, the Sox would be at their '05 payroll after arb awards to Garland, AJ, & others. That would imply arb awards of approx $16M to get from $58 to $74. Something like Crede ($1M), Garland ($8M), AJ ($7M). Seems high tho. Anyone else who's arb-eligibile?

It also implies that if they're offering $13M to Paulie, payroll can hit $87M or higher.

Ol' No. 2
11-26-2005, 09:24 AM
FWIW - today's ST noted that per KW, the Sox would be at their '05 payroll after arb awards to Garland, AJ, & others. That would imply arb awards of approx $16M to get from $58 to $74. Something like Crede ($1M), Garland ($8M), AJ ($7M). Seems high tho. Anyone else who's arb-eligibile?

It also implies that if they're offering $13M to Paulie, payroll can hit $87M or higher.Garland, Pierzynski, Vizcaino, Perez, Crede and Harris are all arbitration-eligible.