PDA

View Full Version : So....What's next?

ChiSoxLifer
11-23-2005, 11:27 PM
As much as I loved Aaron's play, I really like the trade for Thome. The trade for Thome is completely in line with KW's philosophy of making moves to win now. I, for one, have no desire to wait another 88 years for a World Series championship. Yes, the champs lose a good clubhouse guy but they also picked up a good clubhouse guy. On the field, this is a significant upgrade over Crazy Carl at the DH spot and allows for one of the Sox's minor-league prospects to step into the lineup. It didn't cost the Sox anyone from their starting rotation. If Paulie doesn't re-sign, I fully expect KW to pick up another first baseman and keep Thome at DH. My first choice is to re-sign Paulie and put Anderson, Owens, and Young in an open competition to win the open outfield position and may the best man win. If PK moves to another team, what are the options? The Sox can put Dye at first base and trade for an outfielder such as Juan Pierre. Dye is athletic enough that he would do pretty well in the infield. In addition, Pierre has speed to burn and would be a good two man in the order. The bonus is that team from the northside also like Pierre and this would be a great case of one-upmanship.

Tragg
11-23-2005, 11:37 PM
We already 98 (year)-upped the Cubs. Stealing players they want not a recipe for winning baseball games. I like what they're doing this year - over-paying for second-stringers.

My Rule #1: "Physician do no harm". Don't make us worse in any category: O, D, or Pitching. We had a balanced team last year - no weak spots.

We need to sign a FA: If not Konerko, Giles and/or Furcal. Giles or Furcal will help our offense without hurting our D (or our roster/farm team if a trade). Giles adds much needed OBP; Furcal gives Ozzie his speed. We can probably find some bench speed that can play a couple of times a week pretty easily.

And then see what we can get for Marte and maybe El D. Either OBP or speed.

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Sign PK.

Explore left-handed relievers. As much as I, and most of WSI, dislike Marte...there isn't much else out there. If we can find someone to take El Duque off of our hands and give us something of value back, look into that.

But mostly, sign PK and major moves for the winter are over, IMO. But this is KW we are talking about, so...

Banix12
11-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Certainly I think ozzie would like to add a bit more speed to the lineup but I just don't think Pierre is a realistic answer. I don't know where they would even think about adding speed to the lineup because I really think Thome coming here takes the Dye to first scenario off the table.

If Konerko does not come back and the sox REALLY want to keep Thome at DH we have the same rouges gallery of available players we have been discussing for weeks.

Dye to first
Overbay
Gload
travis lee
Carlos pena
Sean Casey
Rogowski
Tino Martinez
Nomar Garciaparra
and countless others.

I just don't see any of the non-sox players on this list really coming here.

tjhawk
11-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Certainly I think ozzie would like to add a bit more speed to the lineup but I just don't think Pierre is a realistic answer. I don't know where they would even think about adding speed to the lineup because I really think Thome coming here takes the Dye to first scenario off the table.

If Konerko does not come back and the sox REALLY want to keep Thome at DH we have the same rouges gallery of available players we have been discussing for weeks.

Dye to first
Overbay
Gload
travis lee
Carlos pena
Sean Casey
Rogowski
Tino Martinez
Nomar Garciaparra
and countless others.

I just don't see any of the non-sox players on this list really coming here.
I kinda likes the idea that we git Thome on the same day the Cubs get Bob Howry---they really need to put on a spin on this at the Trib

Nyls Nyman
11-24-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm not really sure if the White Sox are going to do that much more. One question is if Ozzie believes that Podsednik can go back to playing CF every day as he did in Milwaukee. If so, then I can see KW trading for a corner outfielder who can hit 6th, replace Rowand's numbers offensively, and is in the last year of a current contract. That lets them bring Anderson along gradually - 50 starts and a lot of late-inning defensive caddying for Podsednik. If not, I don't believe the Juan Pierre rumors; he's going to end up on the other side of the city as they'll overpay to get a leadoff man.

They have to do something with Marte and El Duque, maybe they'd be involved in the trade above. Then they need another left-handed reliever, but that will probably be a NRI situation in March.

The other decision is Konerko or Thomas. Having Thome keeps KW from needing to overspend here. If he can sign Konerko to a good value deal, he signs him. Otherwise, he waits as long as he can to see about Frank's health and brings Frank back to DH and moves Thome to 1B.

nccwsfan
11-24-2005, 11:50 AM
What's next?

:walnuts
Get this man re-signed

SOXSINCE'70
11-24-2005, 11:56 AM
they really need to put on a spin on this at the Trib

Give Dan McGrath and his lackeys time;they'll put a negative one
on this deal.:angry: :angry:

RichH55
11-24-2005, 12:25 PM
What's next?

:walnuts
Get this man re-signed

Agreed on PK

But in reference to your Sig.....just say NO to Pierre

Lip Man 1
11-24-2005, 12:54 PM
What's next?
1. Re-sign Konerko
2. Acquire Pierre (or another left fielder with some speed and pop who can move Posednik to center)
3. Re-sign Thomas to an incentive based deal (who says you can't have left and right handed DH's plus it increases your bench depth in the late innings.)

Lip

tebman
11-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Re-signing Konerko is Job One, no doubt about it. After that, I agree left-handed pitching is important, though I don't know of many off the top of my head. Then again, I wouldn't have thought of Podsednik, Iguchi, or Pierzynski either, and KW found them, so I trust KW's judgment.

I know it's been discussed and mostly written off, but could a deal for Ichiro still be done? That should probably be in deep pink, but I'm serious. The Thome deal was one of those "wouldn't-it-be-great-if" things, and KW made it happen.

ShoelessJoeS
11-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Re-sign Paulie and go from there....

DSpivack
11-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Re-signing Konerko is Job One, no doubt about it. After that, I agree left-handed pitching is important, though I don't know of many off the top of my head. Then again, I wouldn't have thought of Podsednik, Iguchi, or Pierzynski either, and KW found them, so I trust KW's judgment.

I know it's been discussed and mostly written off, but could a deal for Ichiro still be done? That should probably be in deep pink, but I'm serious. The Thome deal was one of those "wouldn't-it-be-great-if" things, and KW made it happen.

Ichiro has said he is not happy, but I think Seattle has pretty much said there is no way they're trading him.

batmanZoSo
11-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Ichiro has said he is not happy, but I think Seattle has pretty much said there is no way they're trading him.

We don't need another superstar player. We won without any, now we've got one in Thome. What we need is a guy like Pierre or at least someone around Rowand's salary, hopefully with a lot of speed, and then work on the bullpen. Ichiro in center? Dye in left? Pods in Center? :o: No...

Palehose13
11-24-2005, 06:38 PM
I'd love KW to pry Carl Crawford away the D-Rays.

Bucky F. Dent
11-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Sign PK, and bolster the bullpen!

nccwsfan
11-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Agreed on PK

But in reference to your Sig.....just say NO to Pierre

Career OBP of .355, moves runners over well, and is productive when he's on the basepaths. Plus he's clearly available for a relative bargain thanks to Loria's fire sale, and others like Carl Crawford are considered untouchable. Why not him? Pierre/Podsednik would create even more fits for opposing teams- I like the thought...

chisoxmike
11-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Kenny's Things To Do:

1. Re-sign Paul.
2. Buy Christmas gifts for friends and family.
3. Get an outfielder.
4. Bullpen guy.

Jjav829
11-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Re-sign Konerko and go from there. I don't think KW has to do much more. He found the left-handed stick that we so desperately needed. If Konerko is back then our 1B and DH situations are settled.

What I mean by "go from there" is simply exploring what else is out there. Like I said, I don't think Kenny has to do much more, but that doesn't mean there won't be more moves that he can make to improve this team. I'd say explore the centerfield market. Anderson is a nice option for next year and I will be content going into 2006 with Anderson as our starting centerfielder. However, if there is an upgrade available then by all means shoot for it. I think Joey Gathright - depending on the price - would be a nice addition. If Gathright can be had for a reasonable price, bring him in and let him battle for the starting job in center.

Other than center, I'd like to see Kenny bring in a solid backup infielder. Maybe shop El Duque, though I can't imagine any team giving up anything that would help us.

nccwsfan
11-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Anderson is a nice option for next year and I will be content going into 2006 with Anderson as our starting centerfielder. However, if there is an upgrade available then by all means shoot for it. I think Joey Gathright - depending on the price - would be a nice addition. If Gathright can be had for a reasonable price, bring him in and let him battle for the starting job in center.

Other than center, I'd like to see Kenny bring in a solid backup infielder. Maybe shop El Duque, though I can't imagine any team giving up anything that would help us.

Do you think the D-Rays would take the bait on Gathright for El Duque & _________? If so who would that player need to be- I like the thought of Gathright and getting him for less than what Pierre might command is intriguing...

Jjav829
11-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Do you think the D-Rays would take the bait on Gathright for El Duque & _________? If so who would that player need to be- I like the thought of Gathright and getting him for less than what Pierre might command is intriguing...

The Rays would have absolutely no interest in El Duque. They might take him as a throw-in if the Sox ate all of his salary (and why would the Sox want to do that?), but that's about it. The Sox would still have to give up the same prospects they would have given up if El Duque wasn't in the deal.