PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome the teammate

Jjav829
11-23-2005, 08:28 PM
There were some people earlier today that were asking how Thome would fit into the team chemistry of the Sox. Well, to answer any of those worries, I have some interesting stuff about the type of teammate Jim Thome is.

The Tribune did a poll of major leaguers and 475 responded to various questions about steroids, ballparks, etc. One question asked players about the best teammate they ever had. The winner: Jim Thome with 14 votes.

Also, I remember ESPN doing a story on Thome and it was brought up that Thome is known to call up his teammates in the offseason just to see how they are doing. I found a quote echoing these same sentiments. From Randy Wolf:

"He's so positive," Wolf said. "He'll call you during the off-season just to see how you're doing. And for all he's accomplished, he's actually underrated as a player."

Other quotes on Thome:

WHEN JIM THOME WAS ADDED TO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE ALL-STAR TEAM LAST JULY, PITCHER RANDY WOLF CALLED the first baseman at home to offer congratulations. As soon as the Phillies reported to Citizens Bank Park the next afternoon, Thome walked over to Wolf's locker and thanked him for his thoughtfulness. "I bet everybody on the team called him," Wolf said, "and I bet he thanked everybody individually. He's the most genuine guy I've ever met."

"He has that superstar status because of his personal success," veteran outfielder Doug Glanville said. "But he doesn't see himself above others. He embraces everybody. He plays like an extra just trying to make the team. He respects the game."

These are older articles, but worth the read.

Good article about Thome. (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCI/is_10_63/ai_n6189424)

Another good article. (http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/phi/news/phi_news.jsp?ymd=20030915&content_id=528140&vkey=news_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi)

Q&A with Thome. (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCI/is_5_62/ai_99237356/pg_2)

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Very nice! If Thome continues his dominance of any and all pitching as a White Sox, he will own this town. Brooks should be happy as Thome seems like the type of guy you can build a marketing campaign around. Well, that and a World Championship. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
11-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Great. ANOTHER clubhouse cancer.

kevin57
11-23-2005, 08:33 PM
I like hearing this. Thome's "fit" on this squad will matter at least as much as his power, average...all the stats stuff. I trust he'll have the heart and work ethic that Aron had.

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 08:34 PM
I like hearing this. Thome's "fit" on this squad will matter at least as much as his power, average...all the stats stuff. I trust he'll have the heart and work ethic that Aron had.

And Thome doesn't have a ring. Talk about incentive!

buehrle4cy05
11-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Jim Thome has always struck me as one of the good guys in baseball. I'm sure that what they lose in Rowand's clubhouse prescense will be replaced fully by Thome.

DieTrying79
11-23-2005, 08:40 PM
That question had been on my mind shortly after the announcment...great post, I'm sure it's on everyone's mind.

Realist
11-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Okay. Now I'm very excited about this trade.

buehrle4cy05
11-23-2005, 08:43 PM
And Thome doesn't have a ring. Talk about incentive!

Taking that further, he's been close (Cleveland in 1995 and 1997).

The Deacon
11-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Great. ANOTHER clubhouse cancer.

Thome is known as one of the best character people in baseball. He is known as being an excellent teammate. He is from Illinois, he's ego is actually quite small for a guy who AVERAGES a .401 OBP (beeter than anyone on the current roster) Quit the doom and gloom.

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Taking that further, he's been close (Cleveland in 1995 and 1997).

And to go even a step further, he has Game 7 experience, something the Sox have none of. :D:

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Thome is known as one of the best character people in baseball. He is known as being an excellent teammate. He is from Illinois, he's ego is actually quite small for a guy who AVERAGES a .401 OBP (beeter than anyone on the current roster) Quit the doom and gloom.

Teal = Sarcasm.

veeter
11-23-2005, 08:46 PM
KW does his homework. Manny Ramirez?..uh, no thanks. Jim Thome..welcome aboard.

The Deacon
11-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Teal = Sarcasm.

Teal = Doom and Gloom. Go Marlins.

PKalltheway
11-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Thome will definately be a good influence in the clubhouse. He has a very good work ethic. If anything, he will be more driven to get the Sox another title in 2006 due to the fact that he knows he is a big piece of the puzzle. I just hope he can stay healthy...

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Teal = Doom and Gloom. Go Marlins.

:?:

lths06
11-23-2005, 09:38 PM
KW does his homework. Manny Ramirez?..uh, no thanks. Jim Thome..welcome aboard.

That's a very good point. I would much rather have Thome than Manny.

jerry myers
11-23-2005, 09:56 PM
I remember when he played for the tribe. i hated him. funny how this game works.

SOX ADDICT '73
11-23-2005, 10:00 PM
In the late 90's, when the Indians were annually the bane of our existence, I had no problem hating on guys like the Alomars, Belle, Colon, Lofton (man a lot of former Toons ended up here!), Baerga, Lawton, Ramirez, et al. But the one guy I could never bring myself to dislike was Jim Thome. There's something to be said for a player who just works hard, doesn't cop an attitude, and goes out and does his job better than most. The way he looks and plays, Thome is a throwback to another era - I could totally picture him batting cleanup for the '59 Sox!

MadetoOrta
11-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Thanks Deacon. You'd think some of the folks here have forgotten that we JUST WON THE WORLD SERIES!!

SoxyStu
11-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Even though his health may be a question mark at this point, I do like the fact that he is coming here after an injury/off year for him...He'll have something to prove just as MANY of our key pieces of our 2005 team did.

Glad to hear good things about him from his teammates.

kaufsox
11-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I have always liked Thome, seems like a nice guy and I like when a guy sticks to his regional roots. He still has some land in downstate IL and he kept his home in the Cleveland area, opting not to go to the east coast. Also, not to jinx anything, but I think he and Crede will get along especially well. They seem to have similar attitudes, backgrounds and work ethics. I am really sorry to see AR go, but I think this is a deal that would be really hard to pass up.

soxfan1111
11-24-2005, 12:31 AM
i think this trade is a bit risky because of thomes injury. if he is healthy though he will be a big help. i did like rowand though...

i love these things:supernana:

Banix12
11-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Just caught this in the tribune...

An avid bow-and-arrow hunter and a fisherman, Thome considers the log cabin he built on 100 wooded acres in nearby Ellisville a private paradise.

He'll fit right in with all the outdoorsmen on the White Sox roster.

batmanZoSo
11-24-2005, 12:36 AM
In the late 90's, when the Indians were annually the bane of our existence, I had no problem hating on guys like the Alomars, Belle, Colon, Lofton (man a lot of former Toons ended up here!), Baerga, Lawton, Ramirez, et al. But the one guy I could never bring myself to dislike was Jim Thome. There's something to be said for a player who just works hard, doesn't cop an attitude, and goes out and does his job better than most. The way he looks and plays, Thome is a throwback to another era - I could totally picture him batting cleanup for the '59 Sox!

Yeah I never hated him on a personal/bitter type of level. I don't appreciate all those frickin home runs, but he's not someone I hated as an opposing player. I hated A.J. Pierzynski with a passion, not the case with Thome.

I'd also like to see him in the '59 throwbacks. Hopefully the team wears those again. They were made for a guy like Thome.

paciorek1983
11-24-2005, 01:04 AM
I remember when he played for the tribe. i hated him. funny how this game works.

I hated him too, but in a way of respect. Man, he was so good with the Indians, I hope he produces the same way, and stays healthy. I really like this trade, but I hate to see Rowand go, but that's baseball.......

hi8is
11-24-2005, 01:49 AM
awsome quote that puts into perspective just how good thomes power driven ofensive attack is...

"Through August 1, Thome's 78 home runs since 2003 are six better than Barry Bonds and two better than Alex Rodriguez. His 130 homers from 2002 and August 1, 2004 are two behind A-Rod and 12 better than Bonds, who obviously is pitched to less often."

eurotrash35
11-24-2005, 01:58 AM
Just caught this in the tribune...

He'll fit right in with all the outdoorsmen on the White Sox roster.

He can get into boating with Jose. :redneck

http://www.floatingcubans.com/truck_starboard.jpg

Randar68
11-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Jim Thome has always struck me as one of the good guys in baseball. I'm sure that what they lose in Rowand's clubhouse prescense will be replaced fully by Thome.

Not to mention Brian Anderson, who is also a great teammate, really loose kid, always fun to be around.

Also wanted to mention that while I though Delgado was the better player, I also thought Thome or Helton were better options for this team due to their team-first attitudes and just being great guys overall.

ChiSoxKB83
11-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Thome and his family own some farm land where my roommates are from. I went to go see my roomates' home town (which was rather different from the Chicago burbs) and the little diners and supper clubs love this guys. Newspaper clips about him are practically used as wallpaper out there. One of my roommates and her sister have actually had a ride in his Hummer. In addition to that, my brother has a coworker at his school that is from Cleveland. She had some car troubles, and he pulled over on the highway to help her change the tire. Cool guy. :cool:

tebman
11-24-2005, 01:45 PM
My son played high-school ball several years ago, and one of his coaches went to school with Thome and knew him well. When the Indians would be in town he'd make a point to get to a game and catch up with Thome while he was in town.

Everything that's already been said about his quality as a person and as a teammate is consistent with my son's coach's stories about him. If Rowand had to go to make a trade, I'm glad it was for a guy like Thome. Power, consistency, hard work, and a good guy to boot.

Nice work again, Kenny! :thumbsup:

Soxfest
11-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Thome 100% Pro ......He is a leader

Fake Chet Lemon
11-25-2005, 12:20 PM
i think this trade is a bit risky because of thomes injury

Supposedly if Spring Training started today Thome is ready to go per reports. Outside of last year he averages over 500ABs a year. And we have Herm Schneider. I don't think the "injury risk" is even close to what most people think it is. Not to mention, if Paul-ee is back he'll only DH.

flo-B-flo
11-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah I never hated him on a personal/bitter type of level. I don't appreciate all those frickin home runs, but he's not someone I hated as an opposing player. I hated A.J. Pierzynski with a passion, not the case with Thome. AJ was SO surly hating him was easy. Thome is a nice guy from all the times I've seen him speak in interviews. But, I hated and feared him when he was na Injun'. He just KILLED the Sox.

rhill72
11-25-2005, 11:56 PM
It is obvious that we all hate to see Rowand leave and I am by no means a Philly fan, but will be routing Rowand all along next year. One class act guy who is one hell of a ball player. Anyway, I was sitting talking to my wifes uncle who is a pitching coach for Detroit, and he was telling me how much of a class act Jim Thome is. That everybody in the league looks up to him and that he is one helluva guy. I think if healthy he will fit in extremely well in this lineup. Not to mention I like the fact that he wants to take a trip to AZ to talk to Paulie about returning. I have been a Sox fan all my life, and have learned these few years to trust KW. I can tell you this I will be standing up screaming my head off when Thome is in the batters box. Welcome to Chicago Jim.

jabrch
11-26-2005, 12:09 AM
I'll miss Rowand, and I hope we don't lose Gio (too bad), but I really look foward to seeing Thome hit in the middle of our order. This also leaves us loads of money to go and get PK back.