PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: O's offer to Konerko

bigredrudy
11-23-2005, 08:28 PM
In discussing the big trade on the Score Farmer indicated that the O's have made an offer for Konerko. Although Farmer did not discuss the specifics it sounded like the offer was a very substantial one and was surprisingly high

veeter
11-23-2005, 08:30 PM
The Orioles are idiots. If PK went there, he'd be the greediest s.o.b. ever. They are a terrible team and are on the east coast. Their offer would have to be mind blowing. PK will never go there.

Deadguy
11-23-2005, 08:34 PM
If Konerko goes there, it just proves what a greedy S.O.B. he is. If he chooses them over returning to the defending World Champs, I don't know how anyone could justify that move as being anything more than about $$$$.

fquaye149
11-23-2005, 08:35 PM
let's not call names quite yet. Paul has done nothing to indicate he's even considering this.

The Dude
11-23-2005, 08:36 PM
I cant see him signing with them. I would think he'd be thrilled to be playing back to back with Thome for the next 4 years. However, I still see Konerko signing with the Angels....I hope I'm wrong though.

Optipessimism
11-23-2005, 08:46 PM
How about the O's just tap out and send us Tejada for Uribe. No matter what they do they suck year after year. GET SOME PITCHING!!!

nccwsfan
11-23-2005, 08:57 PM
After what PK did for this team and the way he conducted himself throughout the playoffs and parade I don't see how anyone can rip this guy....he's earned my respect. I'd be surprised to see him sign with Baltimore simply b/c it goes against his desire to play for a "contender". LAA and Boston I can see, Baltimore or the LAD I cannot...

KW- get it done!

Ol' No. 2
11-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Wonder what took them so long? I always thought the O's would be interested. By my count, that's the last of the teams that might be interested. The Mets got Delgado and the Red Sox are probably tapped out unless they unload Manny (fat chance). The Yankees have bigger problems than 1B. From the sound of it, the Angels haven't made an offer the Sox won't top. Unless the O's start throwing HUGE $$$ his way, Pauly will be back in a Sox uniform next year.

MadetoOrta
11-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Unless the Os offer money well beyond what we all would agree is fair market value, Paulie's either headed home to CA or back to Chicago.

Paulwny
11-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Wonder what took them so long? I always thought the O's would be interested. By my count, that's the last of the teams that might be interested. The Mets got Delgado and the Red Sox are probably tapped out unless they unload Manny (fat chance). The Yankees have bigger problems than 1B. From the sound of it, the Angels haven't made an offer the Sox won't top. Unless the O's start throwing HUGE $$$ his way, Pauly will be back in a Sox uniform next year.

The O's were also in the Delgado chase, now their looking toward PK.
Correct call on Boston, their supposedly talking to the Rangers about 1st baseman Adrian Gonzales.

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 09:26 PM
The problem the O's will always have in trying to attract big free agents is they have to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees just to have a playoff shot. And now the Jays are poised to be a contender. Going to the O's is essentially akin to selling out for the time being. I don't see PK doing that seeing as though he will get at least 2 big offers from the Sox and Angels.

CanBuehrleWait
11-23-2005, 09:27 PM
If Konerko goes there, it just proves what a greedy S.O.B. he is. If he chooses them over returning to the defending World Champs, I don't know how anyone could justify that move as being anything more than about $$$$.

Without him we are not World Champs. I agree no need for name calling. So he might go for more money. It's business. If it really is something like 75~80/5years vs 48~52/4years I can't blame him going there if he does. So whats your arugument he's rich anyways so whats 30million dollars!? Like I said its a business, he's a grown man, and its a free country so he can do as he pleases.

If they have the money to give a 40-100 player that kind of money more power to them. Have some faith in Kenny too. I'll just say thanks for the memories Paulie and good luck. By the way, it's also not like the Orioles are a completly garbage team like the Pirates or Royals. They have people who can hit and a couple of good young pitchers. Throw in maybe a Washburn, Millwood and a couple bullpen guys and they can do some damage.

Deadguy
11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Like I said its a business, he's a grown man, and its a free country so he can do as he pleases.

And I certainly have the right to call him out if he goes for the money.

CanBuehrleWait
11-23-2005, 09:41 PM
And I certainly have the right to call him out if he goes for the money.

That's true. That and with the Thome trade just trying to say it just really isn't the end of the world if he leaves. :cool:

MarySwiss
11-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Why in the world would Paulie consider signing with the O's? That would be the act of a madman.

TornLabrum
11-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Why in the world would Paulie consider signing with the O's? That would be the act of a madman.

Or you could look at it this way: He has his ring, so now he goes after the bux.

The Deacon
11-23-2005, 09:54 PM
This just in!! The O's realize there is something called a PITCHING staff.

What hitter would go to Baltimore? Every casual fan knows the O's need one thing, pitching. Yet, the O's keep going for bats. Whats up with this?

MarySwiss
11-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Or you could look at it this way: He has his ring, so now he goes after the bux.

Yeah, but the Orioles? C'mon, Hal. As I said, that would be the act of a madman. They're an East Coast team, they train in Florida, Paulie lives in the Valley. Unless they offer him an insane amount of money or an indecently long contract, I don't see it happening.

CanBuehrleWait
11-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Well to put it another way...
http://nbadraft.net/rapteam/methodman.jpg
"Cash Rules Everything Around Me
CREAM Get the money
Dollar, dollar bill y'all"

Ol' No. 2
11-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah, but the Orioles? C'mon, Hal. As I said, that would be the act of a madman. They're an East Coast team, they train in Florida, Paulie lives in the Valley. Unless they offer him an insane amount of money or an indecently long contract, I don't see it happening.This is the Orioles we're talking about. They very well MIGHT offer him an insane amount of money.

PKalltheway
11-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Why would Konerko even entertain the slighest idea of going to Baltimore especially after that nuclear fallout they had this past season. (This list is not in order of importance)

Palmeiro tests posititve for steroids
Javy Lopez breaks his hand and misses a month
Lee Mazzilli gets fired in early August, shortly after Palmeiro tests posititve for steroids
Shammy So-so has possibly the worst season of his career (I wonder why):redneck
Fat Sidney Ponson gets released after getting a D.U.I.
Towards the end of the season, Brian Roberts gets injured and completes the nuclear explosion in Baltimore
Palmeiro begins to rat out teammates
Orioles eventually tell Palmeiro and Sosa to go home towards the end of the season
If any of you saw a mushroom cloud over Camden Yards this season, those are the eight reasons why you saw one. If Konerko goes to Baltimore, it would be hard for me to continue appreciating the type of player he is.

Flight #24
11-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Throughout the offseason so far, The O's were the team that scared me. Quite simply because they have money and the demonstrated ability to act stupid. Plus, Angelos is from the "back pages" school of management, he wants to make big splashes regardless of the actual baseball impact. The Angels & Red Sox are smarter and would only make solid offers, something I thought the Sox would match. Not so the O's.

However, if they're way out of the ballpark, Paulie gets to decide between a team where he'll have a great shot to repeat, an org he knows/loves and a city he can own......and a known mess of a franchise, with little to no shot at even a playoff berth, and a bit more money or an extra year.

Ol' No. 2
11-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Throughout the offseason so far, The O's were the team that scared me. Quite simply because they have money and the demonstrated ability to act stupid. Plus, Angelos is from the "back pages" school of management, he wants to make big splashes regardless of the actual baseball impact. The Angels & Red Sox are smarter and would only make solid offers, something I thought the Sox would match. Not so the O's.

However, if they're way out of the ballpark, Paulie gets to decide between a team where he'll have a great shot to repeat, an org he knows/loves and a city he can own......and a known mess of a franchise, with little to no shot at even a playoff berth, and a bit more money or an extra year.Which brings us to the question: "How much more would the Orioles have to offer for Konerko to go there?" I don't think another million bucks a year does it. Pauly has been too happy in Chicago. IMO, the only way they can beat the Sox offer is by offering an extra year. Would the Sox go to 5 years?

NeverForget42
11-23-2005, 10:49 PM
i doubt paul would go there, maybe the angels, but i doubt he's going anywhere at all

so as far as i'm concerned

WHEN they resign paul we'll have maybe the most potent/clutch line-up in the MLB

mike squires
11-23-2005, 10:50 PM

I love the boys I work with and have a good relationship with them (ages 10 to 16) but if another unit offered me 2 or 3 million dollars more than the other unit, you better believe I'm switching lockers. Family comes first. I don't care how much they make. You have to take care of yourself and family first.

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 10:52 PM
I love the boys I work with and have a good relationship with them (ages 10 to 16) but if another unit offered me 2 or 3 million dollars more than the other unit, you better believe I'm switching lockers. Family comes first. I don't care how much they make. You have to take care of yourself and family first.

The difference being that you don't already make millions of dollars a year. PK, if he stopped playing baseball right now, is set for life. As are his kids, grand kids and great grand kids. If it comes down to a few million here or there, the only pressure on him to take the little extra money will be from the Union. Problem is, that Union is way too powerful, so you never know.

bobowhite
11-23-2005, 10:56 PM
The Orioles could offer a whole pile of bucks but even with Konerko, they are in no position to compete with the Red Sox and the Yankee$. Unless they can purchase basically all the FA pitches or trade a lot of things they don't have they just can't sustain a season long run.

Is PK out for just bucks? I hope not. I think he is smart enough to stay with a team that will compete. I think the White Sox's deal of today shows they are planning to compete again in 2006. If the White Sox can make a serious, respectable offer (and I think they have and will) then they should be able to work out a deal. IMHO.

TornLabrum
11-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Yeah, but the Orioles? C'mon, Hal. As I said, that would be the act of a madman. They're an East Coast team, they train in Florida, Paulie lives in the Valley. Unless they offer him an insane amount of money or an indecently long contract, I don't see it happening.

I don't disagree with you in the least. I'm just trying to figure out a motivation to go to Baltimore (if he does), and that's the only one I can think of.

SoXPriDe33
11-23-2005, 11:17 PM
My point is that I honestly believe that KW has to do everything in his power to keep Konerko here just because he's traded away Rowand a fan favorite and if the O's are offering an insane contract to Konerko he might lose another fan favorite and I don't think I could respect Konerko for leaving for the $$$ but I think I'd lose some respect for KW for losing 2 fan favorites. Obviously Baseball is a business and it's not always for the fans but at the same time the fans are what get the team money.

GET IT DONE KW!

IN KENNY I TRUST!

jerry myers
11-23-2005, 11:26 PM
come on back konerko, remember magglio.we want you here.

Banix12
11-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Why would Konerko even entertain the slighest idea of going to Baltimore especially after that nuclear fallout they had this past season. (This list is not in order of importance)

Palmeiro tests posititve for steroids
Javy Lopez breaks his hand and misses a month
Lee Mazzilli gets fired in early August, shortly after Palmeiro tests posititve for steroids
Shammy So-so has possibly the worst season of his career (I wonder why):redneck
Fat Sidney Ponson gets released after getting a D.U.I.
Towards the end of the season, Brian Roberts gets injured and completes the nuclear explosion in Baltimore
Palmeiro begins to rat out teammates
Orioles eventually tell Palmeiro and Sosa to go home towards the end of the season
If any of you saw a mushroom cloud over Camden Yards this season, those are the eight reasons why you saw one. If Konerko goes to Baltimore, it would be hard for me to continue appreciating the type of player he is.

Those reasons lead me to believe that the Orioles could very well overpay to a level where it would be an offer Paulie couldn't refuse. The orioles need to rebuild their image and need as little drama as possible. If there is something Konerko doesn't provide it is a lot of drama off the field.

Whether or not Paulie wants to go there is an issue he would have to work out on his own but certainly he is exactly the type of player they need after last season.

part of me finds it hard to believe though that Angelos would shell out that much for a 1b when the team needs pitching. Though he has proven himself to be dumb before.

nccwsfan
11-23-2005, 11:51 PM
My point is that I honestly believe that KW has to do everything in his power to keep Konerko here just because he's traded away Rowand a fan favorite and if the O's are offering an insane contract to Konerko he might lose another fan favorite and I don't think I could respect Konerko for leaving for the $$$ but I think I'd lose some respect for KW for losing 2 fan favorites. Obviously Baseball is a business and it's not always for the fans but at the same time the fans are what get the team money.

GET IT DONE KW!

IN KENNY I TRUST!

:maggs :caballo
Come again?

It's about winning championships, not appeasing to the masses because they're fan favorites. This team improved itself today by trading for Thome. I hope they keep PK, I sincerely do, but do you really think you'll lose respect for Kenny Williams because of this? I'm sure you respected the heck out of him on 10-26....

mike squires
11-23-2005, 11:56 PM
The difference being that you don't already make millions of dollars a year. PK, if he stopped playing baseball right now, is set for life. As are his kids, grand kids and great grand kids. If it comes down to a few million here or there, the only pressure on him to take the little extra money will be from the Union. Problem is, that Union is way too powerful, so you never know.

I hear what you are saying, but a few million dollars is a few million dollars. Most guys are going to take who is going to pay you more. I don't care what profession you are in or how much or little you make.

Tragg
11-24-2005, 12:01 AM
I hear what you are saying, but a few million dollars is a few million dollars. Most guys are going to take who is going to pay you more. I don't care what profession you are in or how much or little you make.
I Rod signs with Detroit when they had no chance to win, Tejada signed with Baltimore e.g. Money talks.
And Baltimore typically invests a lot of money in their team. The usually muck it up, but they try. They and the Tigers might be better advised to find some pitchers, however....

HotelWhiteSox
11-24-2005, 12:05 AM
I think there's a good chance he goes there, just a weird feeling, but after the Thome deal, I think he may be more inclined to stay

munchman33
11-24-2005, 12:29 AM
come on back konerko, remember magglio.we want you here.

This is nothing like that. Magglio was a liar and a scumbag. He will always be booed. Paulie will always be loved.

CluelessJoe1919
11-25-2005, 02:18 AM
Without him we are not World Champs. I agree no need for name calling. So he might go for more money. It's business. If it really is something like 75~80/5years vs 48~52/4years I can't blame him going there if he does. So whats your arugument he's rich anyways so whats 30million dollars!? Like I said its a business, he's a grown man, and its a free country so he can do as he pleases.

If they have the money to give a 40-100 player that kind of money more power to them. Have some faith in Kenny too. I'll just say thanks for the memories Paulie and good luck. By the way, it's also not like the Orioles are a completly garbage team like the Pirates or Royals. They have people who can hit and a couple of good young pitchers. Throw in maybe a Washburn, Millwood and a couple bullpen guys and they can do some damage.
The Sox WOULD have won the World Series without Konerko because it was all about the pitching.
Don't forget, he only drove in 100 runs. Had he not been with the Sox, I'm sure they would have found a way to manufacture 100 RBI out of the first base position.