PDA

View Full Version : More Giles Talk/Parque/Thomas

Jerry_Manuel
12-17-2001, 10:39 PM
This is a section of an article from the Trib:
Here is the full article (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,170334,00.html)

Here are the big sections:
Williams also said Frank Thomas is at about 85 percent of strength after rehabbing his triceps injury and is starting to take batting practice.

When the Sox open in Seattle next spring, Ritchie is expected to slide into the No. 2 slot in the rotation between Mark Buehrle and Jim Parque.

The Sox's pursuit of Brian Giles to replace Carlos Lee in left field remains only a dream. Asked if he has spoken to his old Pirates teammate, who currently has the Sox on his list of teams he refuses to be traded to, Ritchie hesitated to discuss it. "Don't answer that," Williams piped in, smiling from the shadows.

I wonder what that section in bold means? Any ideas?

Chisox_cali
12-17-2001, 10:59 PM
When the Sox open in Seattle next spring

Hmmmm... is that supposed to be ST or the regular season schedule? I thought we opened against the D'bucks

WinningUgly!
12-17-2001, 11:04 PM
who currently has the Sox on his list of teams he refuses to be traded to

Love the way they word that...classic Cubune spin. Giles has a list of 6 teams that he will accept a trade to. Five are west coast teams(he lives in San Diego) & the sixth team is Atlanta, where his brother plays. They make it sound like he has a short '***** list' with the Sox on top!

bjmarte
12-18-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I wonder what that section in bold means? Any ideas?

I can't imagine why KW would care unless they were still pursuing Giles and were using Ritchie to try to persuade him.

But then again, maybe I'm smoking crack.

RedPinStripes
12-18-2001, 12:24 AM
I wonder what that section in bold means? Any ideas? [/B][/QUOTE]

:KW
"It means I'm a smart buisness man. I'm careful about what is said."

bjmarte
12-18-2001, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

:KW
"It means I'm a smart buisness man. I'm careful about what is said."

I'm impressed Red. You made that post without even the hint of a snicker :smile:

RedPinStripes
12-18-2001, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte

I'm impressed Red. You made that post without even the hint of a snicker :smile:

LOL! The different colors show the sarcasm.

FarWestChicago
12-18-2001, 02:14 AM

LOL! The different colors show the sarcasm. Actually, teal is the official sarcasm color. :smile:

RedPinStripes
12-18-2001, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Actually, teal is the official sarcasm color. :smile:

Ahhhh. I see. I'm still new also. Learn something new every day.

Any otehr colors I need to know about? :smile:

FarWestChicago
12-18-2001, 02:34 AM

Any otehr colors I need to know about? :smile: That's the only one I know of. :smile:

RedPinStripes
12-18-2001, 02:36 AM
That's the only one I know of. :smile:

Cool, This id something i need to know because I like to hit hard with the sarcasm. :smile:

Spiff
12-18-2001, 05:22 AM

Any otehr colors I need to know about? :smile:

Sandy brown is the half-kidding color.

LongDistanceFan
12-18-2001, 05:31 AM
Actually, teal is the official sarcasm color. :smile: what happen if i am color blind?we need a list of what the color means
'

RichH55
12-18-2001, 10:43 AM
Well I can't imagine the Sox not being after Giles. Break down his resolve:) A few weeks/months with that pitching staff and you would guess the guy might change his stance...Upgrading CF still seems like a major goal for the offseason, you don't take that big a run at Erstad just to stop trying if you don't get him

:gulp: Maybe, maybe not:) But I think CF will be upgraded before the start of Spring Training

Soxboyrob
12-18-2001, 11:37 AM
Just asking, but is this pursuit of Erstad and then Giles indicative of any uncertainty about the future of Borchard as either a centerfielder or even just as a Sox player?

Guessing that Giles would be converted to LF, leaving room for Borch in CF, but Erstad would probably have stayed in CF, leaving Borch to play LF. I can't get a handle on the thinking within the organization and have heard reports anywhere from "Borchard is a slow and bad defensive CF'er" to "Borchard is an excellent CF'er and will only get better."

Personally, I'm a bit worried about his abundance of K's. I realize he's an excellent prospect, but I have this fear of him becoming another Liefer. It might be an unwarranted fear, but it comes from my years of watching Sox prospects fizzle. Please let my fears be unfounded.

Iwritecode
12-18-2001, 11:40 AM

Any other colors I need to know about? :smile:

TOMATO!

It doesn't really mean anything but if you get really bored one day you can go look in the parking lot and check out our 100+ post thread about tomatoes...

AsInWreck
12-18-2001, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Just asking, but is this pursuit of Erstad and then Giles indicative of any uncertainty about the future of Borchard as either a centerfielder or even just as a Sox player?
... but Erstad would probably have stayed in CF, leaving Borch to play LF.

i think if the sox got a bona fide cf like erstad,
borchard would be looked at in rf and maggs in lf,where he belongs if you ask me.

RichH55
12-18-2001, 05:51 PM
Borchard has been playing CF, because he is better suited for it than Mags or Lee and Singleton/Rowand don't figure into the starting plans over those two. So if we get Giles/Erstad that is your CF for a long while...Borchard still will get his shot, but you probably see C. Lee either moved in the deal to get the Giles/Erstad type of dealt when Borchard is ready for a need elsewhere....it is actually pretty good management...gives you options and leverage and you aren't boxed in