PDA

View Full Version : White Sox after Huff

bobowhite
11-23-2005, 01:24 PM
I saw this a Yahoo Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rotowire-ubreyuffhiteoxnteres&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

Are the Sox interested in Huff? I've heard nothing.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2005, 01:27 PM
what's the score?

they're ineterested a lil thats all I know, I think they're more after resigning pauly and getting someone like thome

kittle42
11-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Most trade rumor threads during the offseason are as bad as dark cloud threads during the season.

The Deacon
11-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I saw this a Yahoo Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rotowire-ubreyuffhiteoxnteres&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

Are the Sox interested in Huff? I've heard nothing.

I think he'd be a great addition to compliment Konerko. Hes a power lefty bat we need. He can also play 1B, 3B and OF. He had a bit of an off-year last season, but he should rebound nicely with a change of scenery. I'd probably rather have him than Thome or any toher of the rumored people.

hold2dibber
11-23-2005, 01:51 PM
I think he'd be a great addition to compliment Konerko. Hes a power lefty bat we need. He can also play 1B, 3B and OF. He had a bit of an off-year last season, but he should rebound nicely with a change of scenery. I'd probably rather have him than Thome or any toher of the rumored people.

I whole-heartedly agree. I wonder what it would take to land him. Would Anderson or Rowand, plus maybe Borchard and a B-level prospect get it done?

santo=dorf
11-23-2005, 01:52 PM

Just because he's filled in at a few spots doesn't mean he can "play" that position. He was very disapointing in 2005, and he'll be a free agent after 2006. You'd really take a guy who's coming off a bad season (what's his excuse? Thome and Helton had injuries) for one season over a proven Thome for three years? :?:

KRS1
11-23-2005, 02:06 PM
I whole-heartedly agree. I wonder what it would take to land him. Would Anderson or Rowand, plus maybe Borchard and a B-level prospect get it done?

I think the last thing the Rays want is another OF.

bobowhite
11-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Huff is a solid younger player who did have a bad year. I'd rather have him than Carl Everett and the cost would be similiar. He's one of those odd players like Robin Venture, bats lefty-throws righty. Never could figure that out.

I think Tampa has an excess of good outfielders and would probably want infielders or pitching.

Optipessimism
11-23-2005, 02:22 PM
You'd really take a guy who's coming off a bad season (what's his excuse? Thome and Helton had injuries) for one season over a proven Thome for three years? :?:

Here are a few reasons to start with...

He plays in the worst ballpark in the worst baseball area in MLB for a team which seemingly had no intentions of raising payroll enough to compliment a solid young core. Fans don't show up, his team has no pitching, he plays games where his score more than 10 runs yet still can't win, his manager criticizes the entire organization and then calls it quits, he knows there is going to be a major shakeup in ownership in the near future, people are talking about moving or contracting the team he plays for, he can't get any national recognition for his accomplishments as a player, he's endured losing season after losing season after losing season, and his clubhouse is probably a mess.

It's funny how some people believe that clubhouse chemistry is such an important factor and can make a good team into a great team. Why not believe that it can make a bad team in a worse team and turn a star player into more of a mediocre one? I think if Huff gets the hell out of Tampa Bay and plays for a real team he is going to put up the type of season that he is capable of. If KW is just looking at a DH then I'd rather see us get the younger Huff than take on Thome and his monstrous contract. As far as his defense goes, the fact that he doesn't exactly play gold glove caliber defense at 4 positions doesn't take away his value of being able to play 4 positions. Thome can play 1 or DH, and he isn't exactly jaw dropping either.

daveeym
11-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Here are a few reasons to start with...

He plays in the worst ballpark in the worst baseball area in MLB for a team which seemingly had no intentions of raising payroll enough to compliment a solid young core. Fans don't show up, his team has no pitching, he plays games where his score more than 10 runs yet still can't win, his manager criticizes the entire organization and then calls it quits, he knows there is going to be a major shakeup in ownership in the near future, people are talking about moving or contracting the team he plays for, he can't get any national recognition for his accomplishments as a player, he's endured losing season after losing season after losing season, and his clubhouse is probably a mess.

It's funny how some people believe that clubhouse chemistry is such an important factor and can make a good team into a great team. Why not believe that it can make a bad team in a worse team and turn a star player into more of a mediocre one? I think if Huff gets the hell out of Tampa Bay and plays for a real team he is going to put up the type of season that he is capable of. If KW is just looking at a DH then I'd rather see us get the younger Huff than take on Thome and his monstrous contract. As far as his defense goes, the fact that he doesn't exactly play gold glove caliber defense at 4 positions doesn't take away his value of being able to play 4 positions. Thome can play 1 or DH, and he isn't exactly jaw dropping either. Preach on brother.

It's such crap that we can't just make our own player ala Baseball Stars. :rolleyes: That's the only solution. Thome too expensive and old. Helton played at Coors. Pierre's no good. Huff sucked last year. Konerko's too overpriced and prone to slumps. Delgado's too old and anti-american. Babe Ruth is dead, so is Joltin Joe.

On the other hand, AROW is baseball jebus. Contreras is Cy Young. Crede is the Natural.

Tragg
11-23-2005, 02:55 PM
He should come cheap because he's on a 3 year decline. Can play multiple positions, but none of them terribly well. Good bench bat/DH fairly often.

nccwsfan
11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
He should come cheap because he's on a 3 year decline. Can play multiple positions, but none of them terribly well. Good bench bat/DH fairly often.

Also seems to rack up a lot of his numbers during the second half of the season, FWIW.