PDA

View Full Version : Delgado to the Mets

Fantosme
11-23-2005, 02:14 AM
The Mets would take on Delgado's entire contract, as well as give up Yusmeiro Petit, one of the top 10 pitching prospects in the majors.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/31760.htm

antitwins13
11-23-2005, 02:56 AM
That's ok. I'd rather have Konerko and Thomas.

Mr. White Sox
11-23-2005, 03:53 AM
The Mets would take on Delgado's entire contract, as well as give up Yusmeiro Petit, one of the top 10 pitching prospects in the majors.

whoa. If this gets done, I'll feel good about knowing we didn't have a shot at the guy.

Banix12
11-23-2005, 04:22 AM
I can't say I would be shocked if this deal went through, even though it is being reported in the New York Post. Minaya has certainly wanted Delgado, just missing out last year for him so certainly I think he would be willing to take on the contract since he nearly paid that amount last year. The mets may be the only team out there that would be willing to take on his entire deal.

getonbckthr
11-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Well there's 1 lefthanded bat off the market.

TomSkilling
11-23-2005, 07:29 AM
ESPN radio (Mike & Mike) is saying that Delgado + $7 mil is going to the Mets for Mike Jacobs + Y. Petit (good pitching prospect).

julio-cruz
11-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Minaya should be given the least valuable GM award regardless if the Mets win anything in'06. Well at least he is staying consistent with the Mets previous impulsive GM's. Prediction for '06 Mets:2nd place

The Wimperoo
11-23-2005, 07:56 AM
This is a pretty good deal for the Mets. Obviously they are taking on a ton of cash, but they're the Mets so they can do that. They aren't giving up a bunch of talent. Jacobs is an average prospect who happened to hit 10HR's in September and Petit might be good, might not. It's not like he was Kazmir or anything. I'm just pissed that is one less bat for the White Sox to get.

Tekijawa
11-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Mets like to collect inflated contracts... Oh Manny Where art thou?

Tragg
11-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Not only does Fla hold a fire sale, they are setting land speed records in doing so.

As the options narrow, Konerko's market price rises (although I don't have a feel about which teams will really bid for him).

Somehow, we need to fill the 3 and 4 spots; and Ozzie seems to want speed at the 2 as well. All without breaking up the staff and trading the top farm hand(s).

pythons007
11-23-2005, 08:51 AM
It hasn't been finalized but it looks like Delgado will be heading to the NY Mets for another 2 prospects. The Marlins are definately looking to unload everyone before the season's start. Who is next?

I've heard things about Mota, Pierre, Lo Duca and Castillo! This would ultimately end up a minor league team in the MLB. What does everyone think about this?:?:

Crede_Fan
11-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Espn.com is reporting that the Marlins and the Mets have reached a deal for Delgado.

Sorry Mods! Didn't see the other thread. Please delete.

palehozenychicty
11-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Man, Omar is like a teenage girl with her first AMEX. Spending without any thought. Fire up the Thome burner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2234421

JRIG
11-23-2005, 09:18 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1340458

TomBradley72
11-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Your sig picture = Just plain wrong. :cool:

spiffie
11-23-2005, 09:29 AM

Yes, because chronic foot/ankle problems only get better with age.

I love PK, and I hope we resign him, even if he comes in at a slightly inflated value. But as much as I love Frank, to even begin to look to him as the answer for next year seems to me to be much more Pollyanna-like than Cub fans thinking next year is the year Prior and Wood each throw 30 starts. He's a 270 pound man in his late thirties who keeps injuring his feet. We expect him to be able to plant and violently push off with these feet some couple thousand times next year without recurring injury...I have to say that's unlikely. I don't mean to pick you out for this antitwins...there's a lot of folks here who seem to think that somehow Frank is going to come back and be the Frank of 2000 or 1993. But yet any other player in baseball who has injury concerns is a total bust waiting to happen (Beckett, Piazza, Thome, etc.) Just seems a bit odd to me.

Tekijawa
11-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Man, Omar is like a teenage girl with her first AMEX. Spending without any thought. Fire up the Thome burner.

After years of being locked into the Expo's payroll he deserves it! Wagner rumored to be next at $10 Million per.

Flight #24
11-23-2005, 09:43 AM
One thing for sure: Teams are getting a lot more for high-salaried players than in the past. It's costing top prospects AND taking on most of the cash in the deal.

Hopefully Thome is a bit cheaper because of injury (and hopefully he's fully recovered), and because of his no-trade.

Tekijawa
11-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Look at this from Roto world...

Javier Vazquez (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=5947) - S - Diamondbacks (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?sport=MLB&majteam=ARZ)

The Mets could use Kris Benson and pitching prospect Brian Bannister in a bid to land Arizona's Javier Vazquez, sources tell the New York Post.
The Post makes it sound as though GM Omar Minaya is trying to add Vazquez to the rotation, Carlos Delgado at first base and Alfonso Soriano at second base. With Billy Wagner to close and Bengie Molina behind the plate, maybe the Mets will overtake the Red Sox for the game's second biggest payroll. Nov. 23 - 3:01 am et

Minaya will have a half billion dollar payroll by the end of the month at this pace!

Fenway
11-23-2005, 10:08 AM
This pretty much rules out Manny to the Mets

Flight #24
11-23-2005, 10:11 AM
This pretty much rules out Manny to the Mets

Latest word is Anaheim or Seattle as possible destinations for Manny. Hard to believe that last one is possible tho. IMO, he's staying despite what David Ortiz thinks.

Fenway
11-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Latest word is Anaheim or Seattle as possible destinations for Manny. Hard to believe that last one is possible tho. IMO, he's staying despite what David Ortiz thinks.

Last year Ortiz said Pedro would never be a Met.

tstrike2000
11-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Lefthanded power guy who hits for average and has been durable almost all of his career. That's a great move for the Mets if it goes through. Not saying he is but if Konerko wants to play games, I would've loved to have Delgado here for the Sox. Still a premier hitter and he could have 50 HR here on the South Side.

Baby Fisk
11-23-2005, 10:44 AM
This is fascinating. Last year, the Mets were strong contenders for Delgado during his free agent sweepstakes ultimately won by Florida. Back then, Delgado was apparently insulted by Minaya's approach to their contract talks. According to Delgado, Minaya tried to play the "hispanic card" when they met, and Delgado didn't like it. Now the Mets acquire him after all? I wonder... will the Mets turn around and use Delgado in a deal for someone else??? Or will Minaya and Delgado smooth things over, "mano a mano"? Fascinating!

duke of dorwood
11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
We got so much more to offer here-cant believe KW hasnt jumped in-or would we just rather overpay for Thome?

Flight #24
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
We got so much more to offer here-cant believe KW hasnt jumped in-or would we just rather overpay for Thome?

The Mets are taking on Delgado on a 3-yr/$41M deal AND giving up solid prospects. I can bet that KW's not all that interested in doing that if he thinks Thome is a realistic alternative and will come cheaper.

Cubsuck_a_lot
11-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Your sig picture = Just plain wrong. :cool:

no hijacking meant here, but that "Worlds Ugliest Dog" in Antitwins sig actually died yesterday.

RKMeibalane
11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Thinking more long-term, I wonder what all of this player movement by the Marlins could mean for Miguel Cabrerra's future with the organization, as well as Dontrelle Willis'.

Get on the phone, KW! Get on the phone!

palehozenychicty
11-23-2005, 11:22 AM
They plan to lock up Cabrera and Willis to extended deals, then rebuild around them. I would do this if I had no guarantee of a stadium/city.

Flight #24
11-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Thinking more long-term, I wonder what all of this player movement by the Marlins could mean for Miguel Cabrerra's future with the organization, as well as Dontrelle Willis'.

Get on the phone, KW! Get on the phone!

There is no pink deep enough, but I'd offer up Rowand, McCarthy, AND Chris Young for Cabrera. Then go get a #5 starter on the market. Yes, that's a lot - but Cabrera's a superstar and is only IIRC 23.

buehrle4cy05
11-23-2005, 11:56 AM
There is no pink deep enough, but I'd offer up Rowand, McCarthy, AND Chris Young for Cabrera. Then go get a #5 starter on the market. Yes, that's a lot - but Cabrera's a superstar and is only IIRC 23.

IIRC, isn't the reason Florida is dumping all this salary is so they can sign Dontrelle and Cabrera to long-term deals?

As long as we're talking about it, though, how about this trade:
Aaron Rowand
Brandon McCarthy
Chris Young
Gio Gonzalez

-for-
Miguel Cabrera
Dontrelle Willis

Lip Man 1
11-23-2005, 12:13 PM
The Mets are starting their own regional TV network this season, they need 'star power' names to help drive ratings. In the long run, what they pay for guys like Delgado and Wagner may be small potatoes compared to what they can bring in through ad revenue especially if the team is compititive.

Lip

Flight #24
11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
IIRC, isn't the reason Florida is dumping all this salary is so they can sign Dontrelle and Cabrera to long-term deals?

True, but what will they be paying Cabrera by the time their youngsters are hitting stride, and can they keep him happy until then? If they're at all concerned, they could get a stud pitcher and a budding stud OF along with a solid major league OF for him. And the first 2 would develop on the timeline of the rest of their team.

Highly unlikely, but nice dream.

Domeshot17
11-23-2005, 12:59 PM
just a heads up to those being thankful we didnt deal bmac for delgado and just get thome now

Word is its Aaron and either Contreras or Bmac for Thome, not much better at all

SoxSideIrish
11-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Just reported on ESPN.com (among other places), Carlos Delgado has been traded to the Mets for first baseman Mike Jacobs and pitcher Yusmeiro Petit.

Link Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2234421)

So much for that theory.

Ron Karkovice
11-23-2005, 01:55 PM
I just saw this on ESPN2's bottomline while watching the NIU game. I never thought the Sox would actually get Delgado, I'm just praying Konerky signs with us.

ShoelessJoeS
11-23-2005, 01:56 PM
This is the guy I wanted the Sox to get if we weren't able to reach a deal with Paulie, oh well.

pythons007
11-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Even with Delgado and Wagner, their pitching staff is terrible after Pedro. And how much longer is he going to be effective. I don't think the Mets will be that good this year. They will have one of the best offenses in the NL though.

Reyes
Beltran
Delgado
Floyd
Wright
RF
C
Matsui/2b

Thats a pretty potent lineup even without know the last 3.

pythons007
11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
just a heads up to those being thankful we didnt deal bmac for delgado and just get thome now

Word is its Aaron and either Contreras or Bmac for Thome, not much better at all

Not a chance in hell the Sox will trade either BMac or or Contreras for Thome. At best they will get rid of Arow and some prospects...maybe not even ARow. The Phillies are screwed as far as Thome/Howard.

86metsghost
11-24-2005, 03:23 AM
As a Mets fan I am happy with this deal. Watching the Mets last season, I can tell you our biggest problem was a bonifide slugger and a hole at 1st base. We just solved both problems in one shot. Also, out closer last season (Looper) was terrible and if we can land Wagner (looks likely), we will be vastly improved from last year.

I understand a lot of people here think this appears to be a "trade youth to win now" move, but if you're going to trade prospects, Delgado is the type of guy you deal them for. He's an all-star, period. Who knows with Jacobs, although the kid impressed me last year we just couldn't gamble. We are trying to win now, with Pedro still going strong. Also, this does not deplete our farm system. We keep our number one prospect, Milledge. Quite frankly, the guy we gave up (Petit) I feel was highly overated. I am more upset that Jacobs went, but I wish him well with the Marlins.

As far as payroll is concerned, the Mets are dropping Piazza's salary, and dropped Cameron's this year too so we really haven't added anything to the payroll.

I saw someone post that we are going the Yankees route and I must say I disagree. We as a team, have a healthy mix of youth, prime players, and now veterans. Delgado is the star vet that we lacked. It's not like we have/had an entire team of all-stars, like the Yankees. We now have the right mix, which you need to win a championship. The problem with the Yanks is they don't have any homegrown studs on their team, but at least they appear to be trying to right the ship with guys like Cano and Wang. But they have a ways to go. I feel we are in a better position now for 06 and the next few seasons with this move.

Plus, The Boss George Steinbrenner is blowing a gasket at the Marlins giving away Beckett to the Red Sox, and now Delgado to the Mets. 2 teams he hates, and we're stealing the backpages of the papers which he can't stand, LOL. I'm happy. :)

RichH55
11-24-2005, 12:26 PM

The Mets love to overpay

86metsghost
11-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Even with Delgado and Wagner, their pitching staff is terrible after Pedro.

I dont mean to disagree with you, but the Mets pitching staff was one of the best in the NL last season, top to bottom.

Starting pitching wasnt the problem, the offense, and closer were.

86metsghost
11-25-2005, 07:50 PM
The Mets love to overpay

You may be right. Jacobs, I have a good feeling about him...

But, the Mets were a team that didnt do anything for years before they got Pedro, and Beltran. Until your team is doing well, you pretty much HAVE to overpay if you want to get star power on your squad.