PDA

View Full Version : Marlins move=realignment?

getonbckthr
11-23-2005, 04:46 AM
According to Jayson Stark the most likely destination for the Marlins is Las Vegas. Obviously if this were to happen there would have to be a form of realignment. Here's what I propose:(changes)
AMERICAN LEAGUE
EAST
Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, Tigers
CENTRAL
White sox, Indians, Twins, Royals, Brewers
WEST
A's, Mariners,Angels, Rangers
NATIONAL LEAGUE
EAST
Braves, Nationals, Mets, Drays, Phillies
CENTRAL
Cubs, Cards, Astros,Pirates, REds,Rockies
WEST
Marlins, Padres, Giants, Dodgers, Dbacks.

Professor
11-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Wouldn't the simplest, less disruptive restructuring be to simply put the Marlins in the NL or AL West?

Deuce
11-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Wouldn't the simplest, less disruptive restructuring be to simply put the Marlins in the NL or AL West?If you switch the Marlins to the AL West alone, you end up with uneven totals in both leagues. That makes scheduling even more of a pain. And if you just move the Marlins to the NL West, you end up with two six team divisions and one four team division. A bit too lopsided, even for MLB. Besides, the moves couldn't be any more disruptive than the last restructuring. Maybe this would bring the Brewers back to where they belong.

nccwsfan
11-23-2005, 09:03 AM
According to Jayson Stark the most likely destination for the Marlins is Las Vegas. Obviously if this were to happen there would have to be a form of realignment. Here's what I propose:(changes)
AMERICAN LEAGUE
EAST
CENTRAL
WEST
A's, Mariners,Angels, Rangers
NATIONAL LEAGUE
EAST
Braves, Nationals, Mets, Drays, Phillies
CENTRAL
Cubs, Cards, Astros,Pirates, REds,Rockies
WEST
Marlins, Padres, Giants, Dodgers, Dbacks.

Not a bad realignment at all. The problem is getting the moving teams to go along with it. I've read before that the D-Rays wouldn't mind going to the NL, but I think there would be a big problem with the Tigers (or most any team) moving to the AL East, where the Yanks and BoSox spend like drunken sailors. They would never win that division again and they'd probably have an issue with that.

Someone had it on another thread- just move the Marlins to the NL West, the Rockies to the NL Central, and the Pirates or Reds to the NL East.

dcb33
11-23-2005, 09:09 AM
If the Marlins move west, I would realign the leagues this way:
AL stays as is
NL East- Atlanta, Cincinnati, New York, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington
NL Central- Chicago, Colorado, Houston, Milwaukee, St. Louis
NL West- Arizona, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Florida

AZChiSoxFan
11-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Someone had it on another thread- just move the Marlins to the NL West, the Rockies to the NL Central, and the Pirates or Reds to the NL East.

You wouldn't even have to move Colorado. Just move the Marlins to the NL West, and move the Pirates to the East. In any scenario that doesn't involve teams changing leagues, you are going to have one NL division with 6 teams, so what does it matter if it's the west that has 6, as opposed to the central?

A_ROW33
11-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Wouldn't the simplest, less disruptive restructuring be to simply put the Marlins in the NL or AL West?

I remember Portland being serious in the running to get the then Expos franchise. It would make sense for the Marlins to go there.

OzzieBall2005
11-23-2005, 11:37 AM
IMO, it seems pretty simple, move the Marlin franchise to the AL West (assuming they move that direction), and move a NL Central team over to take their place there as well as lessening the teams in the NL Central to where all divisions have 5 teams:

NL East: NY, Washington, Atl., Philly, Pitt

NL Central: St. L, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincy, Houston

NL West: San Diego, SF, LA, Colorado, Arizona

AL East: NY, Boston, Toronto, TB, Baltimore

AL Central: Chicago, Cleveland, Minnesota, KC, Detroit

AL West: Florida/Las Vegas/Portland/?, Seattle, Oakland, LA, Texas

getonbckthr
11-23-2005, 11:48 AM
IMO, it seems pretty simple, move the Marlin franchise to the AL West (assuming they move that direction), and move a NL Central team over to take their place there as well as lessening the teams in the NL Central to where all divisions have 5 teams:

NL East: NY, Washington, Atl., Philly, Pitt

NL Central: St. L, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincy, Houston

NL West: San Diego, SF, LA, Colorado, Arizona

AL East: NY, Boston, Toronto, TB, Baltimore

AL Central: Chicago, Cleveland, Minnesota, KC, Detroit

AL West: Florida/Las Vegas/Portland/?, Seattle, Oakland, LA, Texas
By doing this you have to completely restructure the schedule making process with interleague games through the whole season.

eriqjaffe
11-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Why not move the Marlins up to Montreal? The ownership has a great history in that city!

Domeshot17
11-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Its pretty much a trade, You send a team to the AL from the NL, you need to send one back.

Move Pitt to the east, and the Las Vegas Aces (managed by Pete Rose) to the NL West and its done.

Red Barchetta
11-23-2005, 12:41 PM
If you switch the Marlins to the AL West alone, you end up with uneven totals in both leagues. That makes scheduling even more of a pain. And if you just move the Marlins to the NL West, you end up with two six team divisions and one four team division. A bit too lopsided, even for MLB. Besides, the moves couldn't be any more disruptive than the last restructuring. Maybe this would bring the Brewers back to where they belong.

I think each league should have three 5-team divisions vs. the lopsided approach today (one NL division has six teams and one AL division has four teams). The way to get around the odd numbers of teams and schedule conflict would be to schedule the inter-league games between the two "idle" teams. More complex, however it could work and balance out the divisions.

Optipessimism
11-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I think each league should have three 5-team divisions vs. the lopsided approach today (one NL division has six teams and one AL division has four teams). The way to get around the odd numbers of teams and schedule conflict would be to schedule the inter-league games between the two "idle" teams. More complex, however it could work and balance out the divisions.

That could work. Personally, since interleague play began I've wanted to see 3 5-team divisions in each league as well. However, I'd like to see it done in a way so that each division plays its counterpart in the opposite league. For example, we'd play each of the 5 teams in the NL Central for one series and that would be it. To get around the scheduling I'd like to see interleague play done throughout the season instead of one single block, so that way at any given time there is at least one interleague matchup going on in baseball. I also think that would help a 'rivalry' like Reds-Indians get more attention then normal becuase it wouldn't be put up against Yankees-Mets, Sox-Cubs, Angels-Dodgers, etc.

I want Mags back
11-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Marlins to NL west
Pirates to NL east

makes NL 6w-5c-5e

Its that simple

I want Mags back
11-23-2005, 05:16 PM
AMERICAN LEAGUE
EAST
CENTRAL

Cleveland is Southeast from Detriot around Lake Erie
http://www.intec-sales.com/images/region_map1d.jpg

HotelWhiteSox
11-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Ooo, I love predictions

AL:
East: NYY, BOS, TOR, BAL, TB
Central: CWS, CLE, MIN, DET, KC
West: OAK, TEX, ANA, SEA, COL

NL:
East: ATL, NYM, PHI, WAS, PIT
Central: STL, HOU, CHC, MIL, CIN
West: LA, SF, SD, ARI, Marlins

And the possibility that either the Phillies (or Pirates) would swap with a team from the AL East

DSpivack
11-23-2005, 05:48 PM

Since when has baseball cared about geography? Atlanta and Cincinnati used to be in the NL West.

getonbckthr
11-23-2005, 07:34 PM
since when does sports care about geographical accuracy. Our Blackhawks are in the Western Conference.

Brian26
11-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Marlins to NL west
Pirates to NL east

makes NL 6w-5c-5e

Its that simple

Yep, that's my first though too. Pirates should be in the NL East anyway. Then the Las Vegas Marlins can be added to the NL West.

gowhitesox
11-23-2005, 08:29 PM
since when does sports care about geographical accuracy. Our Blackhawks are in the Western Conference.

You got that right, sports don't care much for geographical accuracy. After all the Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East and geopraphically Dallas isn't close to the east. I do think the Marlins will move to Las Vegas. It will be along time before a team moves to Montreal.

Brian26
11-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Ooo, I love predictions
AL:
East: NYY, BOS, TOR, BAL, TB
Central: CWS, CLE, MIN, DET, KC
West: OAK, TEX, ANA, SEA, COL
NL:
East: ATL, NYM, PHI, WAS, PIT
Central: STL, HOU, CHC, MIL, CIN
West: LA, SF, SD, ARI, Marlins

And the possibility that either the Phillies (or Pirates) would swap with a team from the AL East

Keep in mind they need a 16/14 split between the leagues so that no team is idle every night or interleague play isn't happening year round.

dcb33
11-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Marlins to NL west
Pirates to NL east

makes NL 6w-5c-5e

Its that simple

Indeed that idea would be simplest, however the reason I suggested moving Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Colorado if Florida switches to the NL West is because it would put all teams on the same time as all the other teams within their division during the season, the lone exception being Colorado as it is the only NL team on MDT. I mention it only becuase I (along with many others) hate 6PM starts when the Sox are in Detroit and Cleveland. Since there would be a way the NL could realign so that all teams in a division would be on the same time, MLB should pursue it for the convenience of the fans.