PDA

View Full Version : Question---National Anthem at Comisky


TheGipper
12-17-2001, 08:08 PM
Right after the tragic 9/11 in NY, I think it was the very first game, the Whitesox had an African America woman sing the National Anthem. Maybe it was the moment but that was the by far the BEST version song of that song I have ever heard. She belted it out so loud and clear that right after the song there was dead silence and then the loudest ovation all year.

I didn't catch her name, and really thought that more would be made of it. Does anyone now who she was and if she has a CD of that song.

Sorry this isn't baseball related, and promise to keep the rest of them to baseball.

Thanks

Jjav829
12-17-2001, 08:14 PM
Its close enough. Besides, its the offseason so this is definately fine. Also in case you haven't noticed there is a forum called "The Parking Lot" where you can post about anything else (i.e. football, basketball, video games, books, etc.)

Spiff
12-17-2001, 09:18 PM
I tried to find out but all I could find was

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=210918104

They have a video with part of the song, if anyone might recognize it.

RedPinStripes
12-18-2001, 03:15 AM
I would have loved to have heard Wayne Mesmer singing at Comiskey over anyone. The loudest ovation you ever heard was old black hawk games at Chicago Stadium. Damn it was awaesome!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-18-2001, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by TheGipper
I didn't catch her name, and really thought that more would be made of it. Does anyone now who she was and if she has a CD of that song.

It's a good question, and I'm embarrassed I don't remember her name either. You might check the Tribune's archive. They'll charge you for the full article, of course.

All anybody seems to remember about Chicago's September 11 tributes is Sam-me running around the bases with a tiny American flag.

That stunt was staged by the Cubs marketing department. (This was reported in the newspapers, too). Yet somehow, they want us to believe this same Cubs marketing department isn't savvy enough to make more TV revenue money for the Tribune Company than the Sox.

And I'm the Easter Bunny.

Soxboyrob
12-18-2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by TheGipper
[B]Right after the tragic 9/11 in NY, I think it was the very first game, the Whitesox had an African America woman sing the National Anthem. Maybe it was the moment but that was the by far the BEST version song of that song I have ever heard. She belted it out so loud and clear that right after the song there was dead silence and then the loudest ovation all year.

I didn't catch her name, and really thought that more would be made of it. Does anyone now who she was and if she has a CD of that song.

/B]

Was it possibly Chicago Blues Notable KoKo(Coco?) Taylor? I heard she did one of the first Anthems, if not the first, right after the 9/11 massacre.

LongDistanceFan
12-18-2001, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


It's a good question, and I'm embarrassed I don't remember her name either. You might check the Tribune's archive. They'll charge you for the full article, of course.

All anybody seems to remember about Chicago's September 11 tributes is Sam-me running around the bases with a tiny American flag.

That stunt was staged by the Cubs marketing department. (This was reported in the newspapers, too). Yet somehow, they want us to believe this same Cubs marketing department isn't savvy enough to make more TV revenue money for the Tribune Company than the Sox.

And I'm the Easter Bunny. if you can find the article of the stage perfromance......... i would love it......... i want to post it on all the msg board i visit......

RichH55
12-18-2001, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I would have loved to have heard Wayne Mesmer singing at Comiskey over anyone. The loudest ovation you ever heard was old black hawk games at Chicago Stadium. Damn it was awaesome!

The anthem at the stadium was always the highlight for me....During Desert Storm it was so loud and moving that Stormin' Norman actually showed it to the troops...Whenever I would go to a Hawks game and then watch a Bulls game, I wondered how these teams could be part of the same city, let alone play in the same building....Really something that makes you proud

Cheryl
12-18-2001, 12:18 PM
It was Koko Taylor, I was at the game. I don't know if she's recorded it or not.

Nellsin
12-18-2001, 02:46 PM
I was there too and didn't recall it being anyone as well known as Koko Taylor. The Sox official website says it was "Chicagoan Phyliss Arnold." (Click on their 10 memorable moments of 2001.) Finally a use for the official web site. :D:

RedPinStripes
12-18-2001, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by RichH55


The anthem at the stadium was always the highlight for me....During Desert Storm it was so loud and moving that Stormin' Norman actually showed it to the troops...Whenever I would go to a Hawks game and then watch a Bulls game, I wondered how these teams could be part of the same city, let alone play in the same building....Really something that makes you proud

You got that right. Too bad Chicago stadium is gone.

Jerry_Manuel
12-18-2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
And I'm the Easter Bunny.


Where ya been the past 5 years? I figure with interest and back presents you owe me around $450.00 worth of gifts. I'll sit down and wait for them to arrive. :D: