PDA

View Full Version : Cubs October Absence Cost WGN 36%

tebman
11-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Interesting -- according to a trade magazine (http://www.radioandrecords.com/Newsroom/2005_11_16/fewercubs.asp), WGN's revenue was down 36% in October because its house team played five fewer games than last year.

In the Great Debate we had with George Knue last summer, he insisted that the Cubs did not have much impact on the company's revenue. Don Wycliff writes that Sox fans should "get a grip" and stop stewing over the rolling promotion machine that is the Tribune.

I start to get worked up about this, and then I remember: World Series Champion Chicago White Sox. It makes me feel so much better. :cool:

Brian26
11-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Interesting -- according to a trade magazine (http://www.radioandrecords.com/Newsroom/2005_11_16/fewercubs.asp), WGN's revenue was down 36% in October because its house team played five fewer games than last year.

I'm confused by this, but I might just be overthinking it. The Cubs didn't make the playoffs in 2004, so how did they play 5 fewer games this year? This season's last regular game was on Sunday October 2nd. I don't have last year's schedule handy, but I'm fairly certain the Cubs couldn't have played 7 regular season games in October of '04. The Cubs played 162 games in 2004 and 2005.

All this aside, WGN televised all of the ALDS games this year. Did they sell their own commercials for those or just show the ESPN feed? If they had their own commercials, you'd think they could have profitted a bit.

Hitmen77
11-23-2005, 08:23 AM
They're talking about WGN Radio (not Television). But, still I don't get the "5 fewer games than last year comment".

Anyway, if WGN was really relying on Cub playoff appearances every year to make any money, they would have gone broke long ago.

Tragg
11-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Similar thing's going on down here. WWL, the station that carries the Saints, won't get those 3/4 extra games in January this year. That will cost them millions.

asindc
11-23-2005, 08:49 AM
I start to get worked up about this, and then I remember: World Series Champion Chicago White Sox. It makes me feel so much better. :cool:

Winning cures all.:smile:

buehrle4cy05
11-23-2005, 12:01 PM
All this aside, WGN televised all of the ALDS games this year. Did they sell their own commercials for those or just show the ESPN feed? If they had their own commercials, you'd think they could have profitted a bit.

IIRC, they just showed the ESPN feed.

Fenway
11-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Cubs played three games in October 2004, losing the first 2 and then winning when it no longer mattered.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=chc&season=2004&seasonType=2&half=2

I assume they did the same as Boston's WCVB, carry local ads in the slots that ESPN makes available to cable companies.

We got our usual allotment of Foxwood's comercials :?:

hsnterprize
11-23-2005, 12:10 PM
R&R is pretty much the bible as far as radio news is concerned. Along with a few other well respected publications like Broadcasting and Cable, this mag pretty much tells us what's what in the radio biz.

WGN Radio lost revenues, but according to the last Arbitron ratings period, they're tops on the Chicago market. Here's the latests ratings list. (http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=53&RY=2005&RQ=4&MP=1&OTHER=2&MN=Chicago&MS=IL&MR=3&12P=7648900&UP=11/15/2005&SU=CM&BPER=17.8&HPER=15.6&OPER=&NSD=12/13/2005&CE=0) See for yourself.

downstairs
11-23-2005, 12:12 PM
This makes no sense in the world. Unless its a typo or something trying to compare 2005 to 2003?

The Cubs did play ONE fewer game in October 2005 than October 2004.

The games:

10-1-04
10-2-04
10-3-04

10-1-05
10-2-05

As well, I remember the 2004 games clearly... they just blew their postseason chances a few days before. Something tells me not many people listened to ANY of these games...

downstairs
11-23-2005, 12:15 PM
A caveat... maybe in the radio business "October" means something different... like a fiscal year that begins in April... maybe "October" means most of September?

Nevertheless, there is no month out there where there are 5 fewer games than the same month one year before. The schedule is far too tight at the end of the year...

tebman
11-23-2005, 12:37 PM
A caveat... maybe in the radio business "October" means something different... like a fiscal year that begins in April... maybe "October" means most of September?

Nevertheless, there is no month out there where there are 5 fewer games than the same month one year before. The schedule is far too tight at the end of the year...
I wondered about that too when I read it. I thought it was significant because of Knue's and Wycliff's protestations that their ballclub had minimal effect on the company's business. But there's got to be some confusion, because if WGN's income declined to $10.6 million in October (according to the article), that would suggest that the station made over $100 million the whole year.

There aren't that many AARP cruises buying commercials on WGN to make that much money.

chisoxfanatic
11-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Could the "five games fewer in October" mean that the Cubs collectively played five less games on WGN over the course of the year, meaning there were five more games played on Comcast Sports Net in comparison to the 2004 season? That's what I got out of that statement.

downstairs
11-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Could the "five games fewer in October" mean that the Cubs collectively played five less games on WGN over the course of the year, meaning there were five more games played on Comcast Sports Net in comparison to the 2004 season? That's what I got out of that statement.

No... they're talking radio only... which is exclusive.

I think someone was just tired, drunk or both when writing this article...

TornLabrum
11-24-2005, 08:34 AM

I interpret "in October" as being during that particular month. If I were talking about over the entire season, I would write "by October." Besides, the article is about WGN radio, not TV.

nccwsfan
11-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Similar thing's going on down here. WWL, the station that carries the Saints, won't get those 3/4 extra games in January this year. That will cost them millions.

That is funny! :tongue:

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 05:26 PM

In the Great Debate we had with George Knue last summer, he insisted that the Cubs did not have much impact on the company's revenue. Don Wycliff writes that Sox fans should "get a grip" and stop stewing over the rolling promotion machine that is the Tribune.

Yup. Someone should tell Mr Knue why is it that every syndicated TV Show that visits Chicago or does a "Chicago" remote broadcast, and is distributed by the Tribune Entertainment Corporation, always has to strategically place the Cub logo or Wrigley Marquee into the opening and ending credits of a tv show? Its not an accident ........ its a memo handed down. Why? Because THE CUBS HELP TRIBUNE PROFITS. The same reason you see the Wrigley Marquee 100% of the time, is the same reason you NEVER see the SOX logo. What came first mr knue, the Chicken or the Egg?

jabrch
11-27-2005, 05:33 PM
They played 0 meaningful games in October. We won 11 of them. That's about all I care about.