PDA

View Full Version : Wagner to Sign with the Mets

Whitesox4ever
11-22-2005, 01:10 PM
source in the Mets' front office is telling MLBTradeRumors.com that the club will make a four year, $40MM offer to Billy Wagner immediately following his tour of the city. The deal might be announced by Wednesday morning. Omar Minaya is eager to get a deal done early this week so that he can focus on numerous other player acquisitions.

KRS1
11-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Wow!!! Omar sure is willing to overpay hyped up players.

kittle42
11-22-2005, 01:17 PM
source in the Mets' front office is telling MLBTradeRumors.com that the club will make a four year, $40MM offer to Billy Wagner immediately following his tour of the city. The deal might be announced by Wednesday morning. Omar Minaya is eager to get a deal done early this week so that he can focus on numerous other player acquisitions.

Did that source hear Minaya talking on his cell phone about arranging the tour of the city? :cool:

pythons007
11-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Wow!!! Omar sure is willing to overpay hyped up players.

well he only overpaid for floyd, beltran, piazza, benson...give the guy a break...he is a great GM

MUsoxfan
11-22-2005, 01:18 PM
well he only overpaid for floyd, beltran, piazza, benson...give the guy a break...he is a great GM

Well he's nothing if not consistent

rmusacch
11-22-2005, 01:31 PM

I think Steve Phillips was the guy that signed Piazza to his overpriced extension.

TheOldRoman
11-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Actually, he only overpaid for Beltran (though he has the ability to make the contract look reasonable) and Benson. Piazza and Floyd were before his time. They were handcuffed with Benson. The moron GM before him gave up a huge amount for him, although he is a mediocre pitcher and the Mets werent in the race anyway. The Mets had to sign him or look REALLY REALLY stupid (as if they wouldn't anyway). Benson knew NY had to sign him to save their asses, so he held them up and got a ridiculous contract.

caulfield12
11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Actually, he only overpaid for Beltran (though he has the ability to make the contract look reasonable) and Benson. Piazza and Floyd were before his time. They were handcuffed with Benson. The moron GM before him gave up a huge amount for him, although he is a mediocre pitcher and the Mets werent in the race anyway. The Mets had to sign him or look REALLY REALLY stupid (as if they wouldn't anyway). Benson knew NY had to sign him to save their asses, so he held them up and got a ridiculous contract.

Also the one that made the ill-advised Kazmir for Victor Zambrano deal simultaneously with Benson.

Kazmir could be one of the top five lefties in baseball this season. He has a great arm.

TheOldRoman
11-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Also the one that made the ill-advised Kazmir for Victor Zambrano deal simultaneously with Benson.

Kazmir could be one of the top five lefties in baseball this season. He has a great arm.
No. Minaya did not trade for Benson. Minaya took over at the end of September in 04, just a few days before the Expos' move was announced.

Domeshot17
11-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Didn't it become clear that Mlbtraderumors.com was the site ran by Bruce Levine not too long ago. They are both about as accurate. Any time a deal is mentioned, or a contract offered, ITS BREAKING NEWS SOMETHING MAJOR IS GOING DOWN TIME.

pythons007
11-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Didn't it become clear that Mlbtraderumors.com was the site ran by Bruce Levine not too long ago. They are both about as accurate. Any time a deal is mentioned, or a contract offered, ITS BREAKING NEWS SOMETHING MAJOR IS GOING DOWN TIME.

It has been confirmed the WhiteSox have offered Billy Wagner a deal to set up flameballer "Big Bad" Bobby Jenks for the 2006 season.

RichH55
11-24-2005, 12:29 PM

They really didn't give up that much for Benson....I believe it was Ty Wigginton and change

The problem was that move was linked to the awful Scott Kazmir trade

Also...."saving face" with the NY media.....is a terrible way to run a ballclub

downstairs
11-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen... Please welcome your 2006 New York Orioles!!!

Fenway
11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
The Mets have landed coveted closer Billy Wagner in a four-year deal worth $43 million

The deal could be worth as much as $50 million as it includes a fifth-year option for the Mets worth $10 million. But if the team declines the option, Wagner gets a $3 million buyout which is considered part of the original $43 million deal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5117698

nodiggity59
11-28-2005, 03:41 PM
The Mets have landed coveted closer Billy Wagner in a four-year deal worth $43 million

The deal could be worth as much as $50 million as it includes a fifth-year option for the Mets worth $10 million. But if the team declines the option, Wagner gets a $3 million buyout which is considered part of the original $43 million deal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5117698

After this deal, Wagner is certainly over paid BUT he is not over rated or over hyped. You have to overpay for a guy who is top 3 in his profession.

spawn
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Methinks that is a lot of money to pay a closer.

Fenway
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
nobody should get more than this guy.....maybe the best ever

( it hurts to type that )

http://www.canadiens.biz/images/mariano.jpg

Tekijawa
11-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Anyone have any figures on the estimated payroll for the Mets for 2006? Does Minya have anything against the owner(s)? He's got a lot of money tied up for this team for a long time... Kenny will be knocking on the Next GM's Door to pick up Delgado an Wagner Plus 75% of their Salary for a few very minor prospects...

Lip Man 1
11-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Keep in mind the new Mets TV network starts this season. They needed 'stars' to drive advertising rates. I don't think the Mets are concerned about 'overpaying' players because if they contend with the new network, they will get their money back in spades through advertising rates in the New York market.

Lip

Chisox003
11-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Hell, if you're gonna give a closer that much $$$, why not go with the younger BJ Ryan?

I know Wagner has been one of the best for a loooong time, but personally I would have went with Ryan here...That man looked unhittable last year

They can have their big money, "superstar" closers...How much is Big Bad Bobby gettin next season?

Exactly. :cool:

Dick Allen
11-28-2005, 05:58 PM
The Mets are trying to put together the latest version of The Best Team Money Can Buy. I wonder what King George will be doing to respond.

California Sox
11-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Minya not only is a bad Mets GM, he was a terrible Expos GM as well. Remember, he traded Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips to the Tribe for the fat boy, then a year later turned him around to the Sox for Jeff Liefer, El Duque, and Rocky Biddle. :o:

Trades don't get much worse than that.

mjmcend
11-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Based on the screwy CBA, the Mets (or anyone else not named Yankees or Red Sox, since they paid the luxury tax last year) do not have to pay any luxury tax next year so thier payrolls can be as large as they want without penalty.

buehrle4cy05
11-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Billy Wagner is an idiot. Horrible move by him to sign with the Mets. Heck, I can't understand why anybody would sign with them in the first place, except for complete greed.

MHOUSE
11-28-2005, 11:56 PM
The Mets had to pony up the bucks. With the deal that Ryan got, it had to be 4 or 5 years and close to $50 mil total. IMO the Blue Jays still were the worse of the two. Paid a ton, FIVE years, and Ryan had only one season as a successful closer (albeit he was a stud set-up man in 2004). At least Wagner is established and might end his career with the Mets. They're the best team in the NL East right now. On paper anyhow....

86metsghost
11-29-2005, 01:49 AM
The Mets are trying to put together the latest version of The Best Team Money Can Buy. I wonder what King George will be doing to respond.

The Mets payroll is about or even less than it was last year. We dropped Piazza and Camerons contracts, and King George's payroll is still double ours.

All the Mets are doing is adding the missing pieces, we are not the Yankees by any stretch. We are surrounding the homegrown kids with the right mix of FA, not inserting all-stars at every position.

86metsghost
11-29-2005, 01:53 AM
Billy Wagner is an idiot. Horrible move by him to sign with the Mets. Heck, I can't understand why anybody would sign with them in the first place, except for complete greed.

Dude are you kidding? We just added a HOF 1st basemen, and possibly Manny to a team that finished 3rd and missed the playoffs by 6 games. With no closer, or 1st basemen last year.

In the NL East, Florida is DONE. We just stole the Phillies HOF closer, and ADDED him to our slot. Basically we weakened 2 of the teams in our division for 2006 while vastly improving our own.

The only team that can beat the Mets now in 06 is the Braves, and I think their run is up. If the Mets get Manny youre looking at the NL East champs, I dont think Wagner is an "idiot" for signing with the Mets at all.

86metsghost
11-29-2005, 01:56 AM
Hell, if you're gonna give a closer that much $$$, why not go with the younger BJ Ryan?

I know Wagner has been one of the best for a loooong time, but personally I would have went with Ryan here...That man looked unhittable last year

They can have their big money, "superstar" closers...How much is Big Bad Bobby gettin next season?

Exactly. :cool:

The Mets are in win now mode, even though they also have lots of parts for the future as well with Wright and Reyes. BJ Ryan is nowhere near the proven closer Wagner is, age aside. Wagner is the best closer in the game save for mabye Mariano Rivera.

86metsghost
11-29-2005, 02:00 AM
Minya not only is a bad Mets GM, he was a terrible Expos GM as well. Remember, he traded Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips to the Tribe for the fat boy, then a year later turned him around to the Sox for Jeff Liefer, El Duque, and Rocky Biddle. :o:

Trades don't get much worse than that.

I cant speak for Montreal, but so far Minaya has been fantastic for the Mets. Beltran had an off year, but he is only 27 and will adjust to his old self in 2006. Pedro is Pedro, great move. And this year he has been the best GM on the market getting Delgado for 2 unproven prospects (although I like Jacobs) and now Wagner, the best closer in the NL.

I'm quite pleased with him and Mets fans are excited for the 1st time in a long time. We are tired of being 2nd fiddle to the Yankees.

Stroker Ace
11-29-2005, 02:04 AM
The Mets are in win now mode, even though they also have lots of parts for the future as well with Wright and Reyes. BJ Ryan is nowhere near the proven closer Wagner is, age aside. Wagner is the best closer in the game save for mabye Mariano Rivera. It's too bad the NY media would kill the Mets if they decided to get some prospects and young, proven players and develop them for a few years. Theyneed to lose the "win now" philosophy.

kittle42
11-29-2005, 02:32 AM

I'm tired of the continued "greed" stuff. Though this is a bit of a generalization, these players are not much different than the average Joe. Pay him more money, he'll work for you. So I guess everyone's greedy.

Tragg
11-29-2005, 08:09 AM
The only team that can beat the Mets now in 06 is the Braves, and I think their run is up. If the Mets get Manny youre looking at the NL East champs, I dont think Wagner is an "idiot" for signing with the Mets at all.
The Phillies will still be a formidable team next year. I think Omar has done a good job for a team with a large bank account. He's spent his money on Beltran, Pedro, Wagner and Delgado - overpaid for most of them (but that doesn't matter to the Mets), but they're all top-level players. And this year he addressed his 2 big weaknesses. I have no feel as to whether they are a great team - but they certainly have nice parts.

palehozenychicty
11-29-2005, 09:01 AM
they still have to beat the braves, who have OWNED the mets over the past fifteen years. until that happens, i'm not convinced. the braves and phils have quality young, defensively competent players. the mets' infield defense is even more brutal now with delgado, but reyes makes a lot of flashy stops and will improve if he concentrates. other than pedro, their starters aren't the surest thing either. glavine? zambrano? trachsel? get real. and who will get to wagner from the bullpen? at least it'll be interesting at shea this summer.

Brian26
11-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Didn't it become clear that Mlbtraderumors.com was the site ran by Bruce Levine not too long ago.

Coincidentally, I just noticed the other day that Levine is quoted as a source on almost every trade rumor on that site. Maybe he really does run the site. :D: