PDA

View Full Version : Delgado to the Sox=not happening

whitesoxfan1986
11-22-2005, 12:41 PM
The Marlins are in dump mode. I'd bet they would be asking for McCarthy or Gio Gonzalez+ other prospects. I can't see the Sox giving up either of these guys. food for thought: would you give up Broadway for Delgado? I dont know if I would give up a lot of young talent for a 34 year old 1st baseman. If Paulie leaves, I don't think the Sox have a choice though

Flight #24
11-22-2005, 12:43 PM
The Marlins are in dump mode. I'd bet they would be asking for McCarthy or Gio Gonzalez+ other prospects. I can't see the Sox giving up either of these guys. food for thought: would you give up Broadway for Delgado? I dont know if I would give up a lot of young talent for a 34 year old 1st baseman. If Paulie leaves, I don't think the Sox have a choice though

McCarthy, no. Gio - probably, depending on what cash comes back or if the Sox have payroll to take him on without dealing other guys off the ML roster.

Randar68
11-22-2005, 12:45 PM

If I could get Delgado + cash for Gio Gonzalez + B-level prospects I would do it without blinking.

Can't trade Broadway until next June.

Optipessimism
11-22-2005, 01:46 PM
If I could get Delgado + cash for Gio Gonzalez + B-level prospects I would do it without blinking.

Can't trade Broadway until next June.

You probably wouldn't be blinking, but I bet you'd be laughing.

Randar68
11-22-2005, 01:50 PM
You probably wouldn't be blinking, but I bet you'd be laughing.

Laughing all the way to the bank. I like Gio, but there enough questions about his durability to make him trade bait.

D. TODD
11-22-2005, 02:22 PM
The Marlins are in dump mode. I'd bet they would be asking for McCarthy or Gio Gonzalez+ other prospects. I can't see the Sox giving up either of these guys. food for thought: would you give up Broadway for Delgado? I dont know if I would give up a lot of young talent for a 34 year old 1st baseman. If Paulie leaves, I don't think the Sox have a choice though YES! In a heartbeat. Broadway and Gio are far from ever being a guarenteed big leaguer, let alone an all-star.

whitesoxfan1986
11-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Guys there was a typo in my post. I meant McCarthy AND Gio + other prospects. I should have edited it sooner.

Lip Man 1
11-25-2005, 02:28 PM
I found this to be interesting in Van Dyke's story in the Tribune on Friday:

What about Carlos Delgado, another first baseman/DH who went from Florida to the Mets? He hit .301 with 33 homers and 115 RBIs compared with Thome's .207, seven and 30 in Philly last year.

Good question. And here's the answer: Williams didn't want Delgado. At any price.

Does Williams have a long memory and hold grudges? You better believe it. Just ask Ordonez.

So here's the history: At the trading deadline of 2004, Williams worked out a trade with Toronto, but Delgado refused to come to Chicago, even though he could have walked away after the season. Williams was left fuming. So Delgado's chances of coming to Chicago this winter were nil.

Lip

mdep524
11-25-2005, 02:53 PM

What about Carlos Delgado, another first baseman/DH who went from Florida to the Mets? He hit .301 with 33 homers and 115 RBIs compared with Thome's .207, seven and 30 in Philly last year.

Good question. And here's the answer: Williams didn't want Delgado. At any price.

Does Williams have a long memory and hold grudges? You better believe it. Just ask Ordonez.

So here's the history: At the trading deadline of 2004, Williams worked out a trade with Toronto, but Delgado refused to come to Chicago, even though he could have walked away after the season. Williams was left fuming. So Delgado's chances of coming to Chicago this winter were nil.

Lip Dave van Dyck is full of ****. I hate that guy. He has no basis for anything he writes, and he is usually doom and gloom all the time. I am sure he has exactly ZERO inside info telling him KW didn't want Delgado at any price. Wasn't it reported that KW did in fact call up the Marlins a week or two ago to sniff around a Delgado deal?

And KW does not hold grudges for no reason. Boras? OK, maybe. But he would not ignore pursuing Delgado just because a deal two years ago didn't work out.

Van Dyck's whole column today was trash. The headline called it "The State of the White Sox," then he goes on to talk about how the Cubs could be better than the Sox this year. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
11-25-2005, 02:53 PM

LipI saw that, too. But how much is that Kenny talking and how much is Van Dyck talking? My guess is mostly the latter.