PDA

View Full Version : Cubs close to a deal on Bobby Howry

cbrownson13
11-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Per rotoworld.com

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Cubs and Bobby Howry are nearing an agreement on a three-year deal.
The Cubs must have very little faith in the pitchers they've been developing over the last few years. Howry will probably get even more than the $11 million that Scott Eyre is set to earn over the next three years

oeo
11-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Howry will probably get even more than the $11 million that Scott Eyre is set to earn over the next three years

:o:

Way to overvalue EVERYONE flubbies.

D. TODD
11-22-2005, 10:19 AM
6 plus million for Eyre & Howry. Wow, that is hard to beleive. They can have them for that! Seems like the price of southside past failures has gone up on the northside of town.

DaleJRFan
11-22-2005, 10:34 AM
As much as we'd all like to rip into the Scubbies for these signings, at least they're trying. Both of these guys are HUGE upgrades from what was there for them last season.

ChiSoxGirl
11-22-2005, 10:36 AM
This made me laugh this morning on Matt Rotawald's SportsCenter update, "The Cubs continue their quest to sign everyone from the 2000 White Sox bullpen by going after Bobby Howry...." :roflmao:

daveeym
11-22-2005, 10:37 AM
As much as we'd all like to rip into the Scubbies for these signings, at least they're trying. Both of these guys are HUGE upgrades from what was there for them last season. Kinda seems like they've been goosed by the southsiders. Tribune Co. "Must win it all, stop tide from turning!"

Flight #24
11-22-2005, 10:38 AM
This made me laugh this morning on Matt Rotawald's SportsCenter update, "The Cubs continue their quest to sign everyone from the 2000 White Sox bullpen by going after Bobby Howry...." :roflmao:

Don't they still have the rights to Matt Karchner?

:jon "you bet your sweet ass they do!"

It's Time
11-22-2005, 10:58 AM
:lynch&mcfail (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=18#)
"The White Sox won the World Series with ex Cubs Jon Garland and Ross Gload, certainly signing ex White Sox players Eyre and Howry will bring us a similar result".

Tekijawa
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
As much as we'd all like to rip into the Scubbies for these signings, at least they're trying. Both of these guys are HUGE upgrades from what was there for them last season.

I'm a HUGE upgrade over what they had in the Bullpen last season. I have exactly 1 inning of work in my baseball career, in 8th grade I threw 1 shut out inning of 3 walk 3 strike out, no hit ball. Come to think of it, with the exception of the NO Runs that's about par for the course in the Cubbie Bullpen.

ChiSoxGirl
11-22-2005, 11:15 AM
:lynch&mcfail (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=18#)
"The White Sox won the World Series with ex Cubs Jon Garland and Ross Gload, certainly signing ex White Sox players Eyre and Howry will bring us a similar result".

:roflmao: Classic!

TDog
11-22-2005, 11:15 AM

Latroy Hawkins was better before coming to the Cubs than Bobby Howry has been. Relief pitchers, with the exception of a couple of strong closers, are too inconsistent and pitch too few innings to demand big, multiyear contracts.

MUsoxfan
11-22-2005, 11:23 AM
At least they now realize where their biggest weakness is. They have the money to overpay, and if they truly want a winner up there they're gonna have to do it in middle relief which was a gaping hole for years past. Overpaying guys like Burnitz isn't gonna get anyone far in life but overpaying guys like Eyre and Howry might

MUsoxfan
11-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Also, it won't break my heart to see Cleveland no longer have Howry.

MadetoOrta
11-22-2005, 11:39 AM

:tongue:

voodoochile
11-22-2005, 11:58 AM

Yeah, but at those prices? :o:

Their bullpen was in tatters but this is over the top...

SoxSpeed22
11-22-2005, 12:09 PM
"The White Sox won the World Series with ex Cubs Jon Garland and Ross Gload, certainly signing ex White Sox players Eyre and Howry will bring us a similar result".I agree with ChiSoxGirl. This is POTW material.
Howry might actually do well in the National League against pinch-hitters and in situations. Also, this is good for us, because the Toons can't keep him. The more pieces they lose, the better. This also makes interleague a lot more fun.

Norberto7
11-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Yeah, but at those prices? :o:

Their bullpen was in tatters but this is over the top...

It's not as though they've blown their whole payroll on these guys. It may turn out to be a smart move, it may not. If they wouldn't have gotten these guys for any less money, and they do shore up the bullpen, I wouldn't be able to say it's a horrible move.

Brian26
11-22-2005, 08:42 PM

Karchner delivered me a pizza during the ALCS, by the way. :D:

soxwon
11-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Big Deal- Sign em up
"sox will lite em up"

Fake Chet Lemon
11-22-2005, 08:57 PM

"Someone get me Salome Barojas's damn phone number and I mean PRONTO! I must corner the market on failed ex-White Sox relievers at ANY cost!"

soxwon
11-22-2005, 09:24 PM
"Someone get me Salome Barojas's damn phone number and I mean PRONTO! I must corner the market on failed ex-White Sox relievers at ANY cost!"

Didnt Salome die?

It's Time
11-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Per Bruce Levine on the 10:45 update. Wow! Just wow!

Edit: I think it is a 3/12 deal.

"That's $7.6M of this years payroll to two bullpen guys".

RichFitztightly
11-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Wow, 12 million for Farnsworth Lite!?

Jerko
11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Instead of caring about if the Cubs "upgraded' themselves, how about being happy that a pitcher that had a great year last year was just removed from a divisional foe? This reminds me of the guys that are mad the Twins passed up Jesus Prior. Let the Cubs have him.

TomBradley72
11-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Wow...they are paying almost the same for Howry and Eyre as we're paying for these guys....talk about "buying your way out of incompetence":

Hermanson- $3.0M
Marte- $2.3M
Vizcaino- $1.3M
Politte- $1.2M
Cotts- $0.4M
Jenks- $0.3M

tstrike2000
11-23-2005, 10:59 AM
:o:

Way to overvalue EVERYONE flubbies.

Howry did have a good year this year, but I see he still pretty much has two pitches, fast and faster. It may be an upgrade for the Scrubs, but they have nowhere to go but up in terms of their bullpen. With a 15 or 20 mph wind blowing out in the Urinal I see Howry's fast and faster pitches going far and farther onto Waveland and Sheffield.

SoxFan78
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
First Eyre, now Howry, who next? Ribbie and Ruhbarb?

veeter
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I think the cubs think they signed Cotts and Politte. But unfortunately they got Eyre and Howry. Just my opinion, which I'm sure some share, but the cubs are feeling mega pressure here.

Flight #24
11-23-2005, 11:06 AM
In other news, Bruce Levine reports that the Cubs have initiated discussions with Jose Paniagua.....

It's Time
11-23-2005, 11:06 AM
but the cubs are feeling mega pressure here.

You got that right. I told Cubs fans that the White Sox winning will force the Cubs to get their **** together. Doesn't mean **** unless they win it all. The White Sox hold the trump cards right now and they intend to keep holding them.

santo=dorf
11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
$5 million for Dempster
$4 million for Howry
$3 million for Rusch
$3 million for Eyre
$1.9 million for Williamson

Just how good of a GM would Hendry be if he was working for a team with a mid-level let alone a smaller payroll? :rolleyes:

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow, I missed this bit because of the Thome thread. Anyone want to dig up that thread from a few weeks ago that was about Howry wanting big money? The Cubs did not disappoint the people who called it...:smile:

The Dude
11-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Wow, I missed this bit because of the Thome thread. Anyone want to dig up that thread from a few weeks ago that was about Howry wanting big money? The Cubs did not disappoint the people who called it...:smile:

Yeah we laughed it up then and we're laughing it up even more now!

heres the thread that i started
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62070

congrats on being right!

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Since the Cubs are willing to shell out $4MM on bullpen guys, what do they have that we want for El Duque? Seriously, they would probably jump at the chance to get him and sign him to an extension.

SoxFan76
11-23-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm speechless. The Cubs are that dumb?

buehrle4cy05
11-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Good ol'
:gascan

C-Dawg
11-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Didnt Salome die?

You're thinking of Francisco Barrios.

Hey, be nice! Salome was no Juan Agosto.

flo-B-flo
11-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Did I see that somewhere? He'll be new to the National. Will it matter? I loved when the Sox faced him.

Banix12
11-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Did I see that somewhere? He'll be new to the National. Will it matter? I loved when the Sox faced him.

3 years $12 million. Relief pitching is often volitile from year to year, you never know how it is going to work.

Ol' No. 2
11-23-2005, 09:51 PM
3 years $12 million. Relief pitching is often volitile from year to year, you never know how it is going to work.Is this just a rumor, or has there been something concrete? At least it seems Hendry has finally figured out their biggest weakness. I was shocked when he did nothing last winter to shore up that awful pen.

ilsox7
11-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Is this just a rumor, or has there been something concrete? At least it seems Hendry has finally figured out their biggest weakness. I was shocked when he did nothing last winter to shore up that awful pen.

Done deal. Cubs give 3 year contracts to aging middle relivers within a week of each other.

Lprof
11-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Doesn't this signing by the Cubs help the Sox, since it worsens the Indians' bullpen?

Ol' No. 2
11-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Done deal. Cubs give 3 year contracts to aging middle relivers within a week of each other.And it makes them better. That's how bad they were.:o:

Banix12
11-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Doesn't this signing by the Cubs help the Sox, since it worsens the Indians' bullpen?

Well it was unlikely that he was going to be back anyway since the indians seemed unwilling to shell out $4 million a year. Though him not being there certainly hurt them, but their pen should still be ok. They still have to figure out what they are doing at closer though.

Tragg
11-23-2005, 10:39 PM
I believe we called him "Gas can" when he was here. Maybe he's improved.

Even funnier will be teams bidding for Octavio Dotel - one of the great arsonists in the history of "closers".

gashegone72
11-23-2005, 11:28 PM
I guess when you are desperate to upgrade, you are forced to overpay. $2.7M to Eyre and $4M to Howry is more than the Sox are paying next year for Politte, Hermanson, and Marte combined.

peeonwrigley
11-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Howry just robbed the Cubs. How the hell did his market value get so high?

I can't wait to hear what it is their final offer to Furcal is... wow.

Banix12
11-23-2005, 11:47 PM
I guess when you are desperate to upgrade, you are forced to overpay. $2.7M to Eyre and $4M to Howry is more than the Sox are paying next year for Politte, Hermanson, and Marte combined.

I thought Eyre was making closer to 3.5. The cubs don't have a lot of room to bargain because the agents all know they can afford it.

I'm still not a huge fan of the back of their rotation and their offense still needs a complete overhaul. The bullpen seems to be at least patched for next year but I think there were greater needs than another right handed reliever

gashegone72
11-24-2005, 12:15 AM
I thought Eyre was making closer to 3.5. The cubs don't have a lot of room to bargain because the agents all know they can afford it.

I'm still not a huge fan of the back of their rotation and their offense still needs a complete overhaul. The bullpen seems to be at least patched for next year but I think there were greater needs than another right handed reliever

I believe Eyre had a $1M signing bonus in addition to the $2.7M salary. Not sure if there are performance-based incentives as well. Either way, the guy has had one good year in a career of 9 MLB seasons. I swear, if I threw left-handed I could get a MLB job :D:

MHOUSE
11-24-2005, 12:50 AM
The Cubs need relievers, have money, thus the big contracts for aging pitchers. Eyre's first full productive season was only this past 2005 season and Howry has been solid the last two years for Cleveland, but both are in their 30s and few relievers have 3 solid seasons in a row or more. They still need help in the outfield and possibly more pitching. Howry and Eyre (IIRC) both former White Sox. Interesting.