PDA

View Full Version : Season Tickets on eBay

comet2k
11-22-2005, 10:27 AM
I've noticed that individuals and ticket brokers are offering season tickets on eBay, some at bargain prices. As with most bargains, thereís a catch, and itís usually a big one: No playoff tickets are included. You also get none of the rights or privileges of a season ticket holder (they remain with the seller).

Even knowing that, I bid on a recent auction for two tickets to all 81 games with the idea I could share the tickets with a group of people. They were in Section 542, Row 5. The seats sold for $1,902, a couple of hundred dollars more than my bid, but still a bargain at $23.50 per game. That's about what it costs two peoele to see a bad movie these days. It would cost $2,552 to buy them from the White Sox, or $31.50 per game, but that includes the rights to playoff tickets and all other privileges that go with STs.

The same seller has two seats in the same section on eBay in an auction that ends Thursday. The minimum bid was $1,200, and it now stands at $1,225. I donít know the seller and am not trying to drum up business for him. Iím just looking for advice. Other than missing the playoffs and not being the actual ST holder, what other drawbacks are there from doing this? Has anyone here done this?

When I didnít win the previous auction I bought a 27-game Double Play package with my brother instead, but this still looks like a potential bargain, and I keep getting tempted. Any opinions? Thanks.

SoxFan78
11-22-2005, 10:47 AM
I like the perks of being a season ticket holder. First crack at opening day, cubs/sox tickets. Cheaper soxfest tickets. Season ticket holder gifts. Even first chance to see special events at the UC.

But the biggest thing is the chance for playoff tickets. And if the seller isn't even giving you one playoff ticket, I would stay away. You are putting up a grand for 81 games, but no playoff possibilities. NO WAY

HITMEN OF 77
11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
You buy the season tickets from the seller on eBay and they get all the rewards ie playoff tickets, promotions etc. The White Sox have the original buyers name not who he sells the tickets too.

bnlfanmatt
11-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Here's a scary thought: He will still have access to the tickets online, through his account, to forward those Ticketfast things if he wants. You might want to think about what kind of recourse you have if you buy tickets now, and say in May or September he decides to forward tickets to himself or someone else. It might be long enough gone that eBay wouldn't get involved, or that Paypal or whoever you pay through won't either. And you won't know your tickets are invalid until they scan them when you go to the game.

Not saying it's going to happen, but just a thought.

And I don't know eBay's policies, maybe someone else can help out on this one.

ewokpelts
11-22-2005, 06:26 PM
I've noticed that individuals and ticket brokers are offering season tickets on eBay, some at bargain prices. As with most bargains, thereís a catch, and itís usually a big one: No playoff tickets are included. You also get none of the rights or privileges of a season ticket holder (they remain with the seller).

Even knowing that, I bid on a recent auction for two tickets to all 81 games with the idea I could share the tickets with a group of people. They were in Section 542, Row 5. The seats sold for $1,902, a couple of hundred dollars more than my bid, but still a bargain at $23.50 per game. That's about what it costs two peoele to see a bad movie these days. It would cost $2,552 to buy them from the White Sox, or $31.50 per game, but that includes the rights to playoff tickets and all other privileges that go with STs.

The same seller has two seats in the same section on eBay in an auction that ends Thursday. The minimum bid was $1,200, and it now stands at $1,225. I donít know the seller and am not trying to drum up business for him. Iím just looking for advice. Other than missing the playoffs and not being the actual ST holder, what other drawbacks are there from doing this? Has anyone here done this?

When I didnít win the previous auction I bought a 27-game Double Play package with my brother instead, but this still looks like a potential bargain, and I keep getting tempted. Any opinions? Thanks.if you really want season tickets, contact a member here and split a plan....
Gene

comet2k
11-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Here's a scary thought: He will still have access to the tickets online, through his account, to forward those Ticketfast things if he wants. You might want to think about what kind of recourse you have if you buy tickets now, and say in May or September he decides to forward tickets to himself or someone else. It might be long enough gone that eBay wouldn't get involved, or that Paypal or whoever you pay through won't either. And you won't know your tickets are invalid until they scan them when you go to the game.

Not saying it's going to happen, but just a thought.

And I don't know eBay's policies, maybe someone else can help out on this one.

That is a scary thought, and one that hadn't occured to me.

I received an offer today to join a group of 8 or 9 others to split a full-season plan on a lottery basis with the ST holder involved. That sounds like a better, and safer, offer.

Thanks to all for the advice.