PDA

View Full Version : A.L. East retakes headlines

dlee120
11-22-2005, 01:31 AM
As anticipated by most of us I assume, an A.L. east team (red sawx) grabs the headlines early in the 2005/ 06 offseason. Is the reason for this move to regain the spark of red sox baseball and try to improve a ball club, or was this just a knee jerk reaction by a less than equipped front office to make such a baseball move in an offseason that seems to be inline for some tumultuous movement.(I am reffering to the move of the Red Sox TENITIVELY acquiring Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell for some highly touted minor leaguers). Will this encourage more movement among teams or sign a free agent(s)?

This is my first thread creation, please be kind.....

MUsoxfan
11-22-2005, 01:35 AM
In all fairness, that's a fairly large trade that Boston is about to partake in. The White Sox will grab headlines if a similar deal happens

ShoelessJoeS
11-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I'd have to agree with MU here, this potential trade is the first big deal of the offseason. Lowell and Beckett are solid players, even if they somehow were dealt to a less than stellar team, the deal would make headlines. Although, ESPN will glorify the Red Sox with this deal as expected. On another note, dlee, I must question your user name, however, I love your sig. Not many people are aware that Cotts is an Illinois native and ISU alumni....Go Redbirds!

dlee120
11-22-2005, 01:55 AM
my user name is nothing to question, im a die hard white sox fan, i just unfortunately share the same given name as the first baseman of a less than stellar ball club....namely the cubs. obviously not the best chosen username(certainly here!), twenty twenty is hindsight however. :(:

MUsoxfan
11-22-2005, 03:07 AM
my user name is nothing to question, im a die hard white sox fan, i just unfortunately share the same given name as the first baseman of a less than stellar ball club....namely the cubs. obviously not the best chosen username(certainly here!), twenty twenty is hindsight however. :(:

After only 11 posts, it's not too early to change it:wink:

Fenway
11-22-2005, 04:40 PM
The Yankees fans are showing how much they know about baseball again :cool:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91071&page=1

The deal doesn't scare me, but is anyone else getting tired of the Red Sox getting reduced rates on everyone? They get an all-star and a young pitcher with a great upside (I know Lowell was bad last year, but he can turn it around in Fenway). If we made this trade, we would have had to give up Wang, Cano, Duncan, and Hughes.

nccwsfan
11-22-2005, 09:11 PM
As anticipated by most of us I assume, an A.L. east team (red sawx) grabs the headlines early in the 2005/ 06 offseason. Is the reason for this move to regain the spark of red sox baseball and try to improve a ball club, or was this just a knee jerk reaction by a less than equipped front office to make such a baseball move in an offseason that seems to be inline for some tumultuous movement.(I am reffering to the move of the Red Sox TENITIVELY acquiring Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell for some highly touted minor leaguers). Will this encourage more movement among teams or sign a free agent(s)?

This is my first thread creation, please be kind.....

I think the buzz has a lot to do with the fact that the Red Sox are getting a #1 caliber pitcher who is a) a former World Series MVP and b) only 25 years old. This would improve any team, and the BoSox just happen to be the beneficiaries of this move. Throw in the fact that the Marlins are starting their fire sale and you have the makings of a good Hot Stove story. Free Agents won't make much of a splash for a few weeks, so this will have to do for now...

flo-B-flo
11-23-2005, 10:49 PM
They can have all the pub they can eat so long as the Sox win it all. I prefer when espissant goes haywire at the latest eyebrow movement by captain jetes. Win the world championship and STILL under the radar. Beautiful.