PDA

View Full Version : Mueller to the white sox?

Soxfan35
11-21-2005, 11:32 PM
In gammons' latest article talking about the beckett trade to boston, he mentions that bill mueller is rumored to be heading to the white sox. obviously just a rumor, but either way it doesn't make any sense. he's still good enough to be an every day player and we got mr soxtober over there at the hot corner, so I don't know where he'd fit in.

JUribe1989
11-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Crede >>>> Mueller
I really believe that. Mueller has bad knees and will be injured while making more money. No need for Bill Mueller.

Tragg
11-21-2005, 11:42 PM
He'd be a good bench bat; a bit expensive for that, however.

RowandKicksAss07
11-21-2005, 11:45 PM
he wont get more money if he has bad knees....this is obviously just an insurance policy for crede or any other middle infielder. If this signing goes through, it basically says goodbye to PeaPod, because the sox will have the two backup infielders in Pablo and Mueller. I think it would be a good signing...he's a veteran that seemed to be a good fit in the tight-knit Boston clubhouse. I think he knows he wont be able to get a starting positon anywhere, and if he can then he probably will take that instead of being resigned to a back-up duties....

MadetoOrta
11-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Mueller makes no sense unless the Sox have something lined up re Crede. Face it, the Sox brass hate Borass [and I don't blame them] so Crede is gone after next year or the year after. His value is skyrocketing after the World Series. We'll see. I like JOe. I see a huge "contract" year from Joe.

Flight #24
11-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Just a guess, and a guess at a rumor so take it FWIW. But Mueller's spent a bit of time at 2B in the past. Not sure how well he's done at it, but basically, he'd be a replacement for Geoff Blum - but a far better hitting one.

That assumes that they either want a fairly expensive sub, or that they're really really concerned about Crede/Iguchi. Or that Mueller's coming a lot cheaper than I would have thought.

Flight #24
11-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Mueller makes no sense unless the Sox have something lined up re Crede. Face it, the Sox brass hate Borass [and I don't blame them] so Crede is gone after next year or the year after. His value is skyrocketing after the World Series. We'll see. I like JOe. I see a huge "contract" year from Joe.

Mueller makes no sense if Sox are concerned about Borass. The earliest they'd have to worry about anything but arbitration is 3-4 years, at which point Mueller is.....batting ahead of Widger in the 16" league.

Crede's cheap for at least another 1-2 years. And it'll be awful hard to replace his production at anything close to his salary. He ain't going anywhere, unless he brings something pretty valuable back in trade.

Optipessimism
11-22-2005, 12:31 AM
This seems odd. Yeah, he'd be a nice back up, but I would think a team like the Twins would love him have him for a couple million per season and use him as a starter. Unless the Sox plan on unloading Crede or Crede has more trouble with his back than we thought, I don't understand why he'd want to come to the Sox when he could probably start 120 games elsewhere.

ShoelessJoeS
11-22-2005, 12:42 AM
I do not get this one bit, unless we plan on giving Clutch Crede considerably less playing time :?:

Tragg
11-22-2005, 12:46 AM
If he's cheap, a nice bench player. As a replacement for Crede, assinine.

TomBradley72
11-22-2005, 12:48 AM
If they bring in Mueller, at his age, he would become the LH back up at 3B/1B/DH...with the number of years until Crede is FA eligible it will be a while until Boras really becomes a factor. Probably one of the main reasons they didn't ask Blum back is they were looking to upgrade...especially with Crede's back condition.

SoxSpeed22
11-22-2005, 01:05 AM
The only thing is that I would hate to see him go to the Twins or Toons. He won a batting title in 2003. He's no power threat, but if the Toons get him hitting 6th, they're more dangerous.

peeonwrigley
Mueller would give us a lot of versatility. He'd be a good, left hand hitting option at DH if Frank is back and needs a break.

He could also hit 2nd when he plays filling in for Iguchi, or if he's DH/3B allow Iguchi to hit somewhere else in the line up in more of a run producing role, should the Sox elect to go that route.

oeo
Crede >>>> Mueller
I really believe that. Mueller has bad knees and will be injured while making more money. No need for Bill Mueller.

Crede also has the swollen discs in his back (I forgot what they were called :redneck). Mueller wouldn't be replacing Crede, he would be insurance in case something happens to him. Kenny is always thinking.

EDIT: herniated discs

Palehose13
11-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Crede also has the swollen discs in his back (I forgot what they were called :redneck). Mueller wouldn't be replacing Crede, he would be insurance in case something happens to him. Kenny is always thinking.

You beat me to it.

Mueller makes sense if the Sox aren't confident about Joe's back.

MUsoxfan
11-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Bill Mueller in the ALDS. .000BA

No thanks

antitwins13
11-22-2005, 01:38 AM
Where would he play??:hawk

SoxSpeed22
11-22-2005, 01:52 AM
Bill Mueller in the ALDS. .000BA

No thanks:garcia::contreras::burly:pollite:
:cotts::jenks::elduque:
"Y'all know who to thank for that!"

ShoelessJoeS
11-22-2005, 01:56 AM
:garcia::contreras::burly:pollite:
:cotts::jenks::elduque:
"Y'all know who to thank for that!"
Exactly, look at former MVP Vlad Guerrero in the ALCS...good pitching always beats good hitting.

Jjav829
11-22-2005, 03:14 AM
I'd take Mueller as a backup and insurance policy for Crede. He can spell Crede and Iguchi at times and could start over Crede against some tough righties. I would guess that this is the type of role that Kenny would Mueller to fill.

Deuce
11-22-2005, 05:00 AM
With Blum gone, we need a good bench player. Herr Mueller can fit the bill.

A. Cavatica
11-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Mueller will get offers to start at third; he won't be interested in a backup role. His knees don't allow him to play much at second any more. And, finally, he's too expensive to be a utilityman.

He'd be fine as a starter if the Sox decide to trade Crede. Good defense, lefthanded bat, good OBP.

But...why would they think about trading Crede? I agree with the poster who said the Sox won't be extending him as long as Boras is his agent. And, coming off his playoff performance, his value may never be higher.

caulfield12
11-22-2005, 08:04 AM
This seems odd. Yeah, he'd be a nice back up, but I would think a team like the Twins would love him have him for a couple million per season and use him as a starter. Unless the Sox plan on unloading Crede or Crede has more trouble with his back than we thought, I don't understand why he'd want to come to the Sox when he could probably start 120 games elsewhere.

The Twins have to decide what they are going to do with Cuddyer, Bartlett, Punto, Rivas, Castro, etc.

Heck, they even signed Bret Boone, they were so desperate for offense.

They have way too many infielders, but no clear starters.

In an ideal world, Cuddyer would live up to his offensive potential and take the starterīs job at third. He IS the Joe Crede, 2001-2004, of the Twins organization. Morneau also really slipped offensively in the 2nd half. And they need a break-out year from Kubel along with continued solid pitching. Thatīs a lot to expect for them to catch up with the Sox and Indians. Not to mention the fact Stewart is aging, Ford is fading and Mauer just canīt seem to stay 100% healthy.

julio-cruz
11-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Well, possibly the Sox are willing to give Mueller the money he wants: what, around 3-5 mil a year. Also, I Just don't think Minnesoate is willing to take more of a risk with their cheap owner (C Pohland). Minnesota would probably sign him to a one year with a team option. Kenny might be willing to give him an " El Duque" deal with incentives. Plus the White Sox rule!:cool: Who wouldn't want to play for Ozzie. I think it makes sense to have him hitting 2nd as a DH- moving Iguchi to 3rd in the order. The guy knows how to put the ball into play.
Other concerns...Yes, his knees are fairly shot. Does he even have cartiliage left? Possibly very little. But he may want to maximize his career the way Molitor did... Not a bad move by Kenny if you want to retain Konerko with the big bucks.

TomBradley72
11-22-2005, 09:30 AM
If Mueller knows his knees are going and he only has a few more years....he may choose to go where he has the chance to be a role player and get a ring before he hangs it up. He played in 150 games for the Red Sox this year....he may not even want that much playing time in terms of holding up physically. It also looks to me like the whole WSox organization is still planning on being aggressive and going on "offense" to really go after "owning Chicago".....they may be willing to spend a little more than any of us expected.

Jjav829
11-22-2005, 09:46 AM
If Mueller knows his knees are going and he only has a few more years....he may choose to go where he has the chance to be a role player and get a ring before he hangs it up. He played in 150 games for the Red Sox this year....he may not even want that much playing time in terms of holding up physically. It also looks to me like the whole WSox organization is still planning on being aggressive and going on "offense" to really go after "owning Chicago".....they may be willing to spend a little more than any of us expected.

Mueller already has a ring from the Red Sox in 2004.

Randar68
11-22-2005, 09:46 AM
He'd be a good bench bat; a bit expensive for that, however.

DH? Could play 3B, 1B, 2B when needed?

He's a good hitter, there is no doubting that.

Tragg
11-22-2005, 10:28 AM
DH? Could play 3B, 1B, 2B when needed?

He's a good hitter, there is no doubting that.

It's going to be sort of an inflexible bench with back up spots absorbed by Frank, Meuller, Ozuna, all of whom only play IF and only 1 middle infield. That leaves 1 more bench spot, no?
Probably don't sign Frank or Konerko if we get Thome.

I hope we do sign Mueller for a couple of mill.

Randar68
11-22-2005, 11:00 AM
It's going to be sort of an inflexible bench with back up spots absorbed by Frank, Meuller, Ozuna, all of whom only play IF and only 1 middle infield. That leaves 1 more bench spot, no?
Probably don't sign Frank or Konerko if we get Thome.

I hope we do sign Mueller for a couple of mill.

Not a big fan of this move, but the signing of Nomar as DH makes a lot of sense given his injury history, Frank's injury history, and Nomar's ability to play SS or 3rd base once a week...

TomBradley72
11-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Mueller already has a ring from the Red Sox in 2004.

:redface: Another ring....

daveeym
11-22-2005, 11:41 AM
You beat me to it.

Mueller makes sense if the Sox aren't confident about Joe's back. And with the way Ozzie works Iguchi and the rest of the lineup you can see Mueller getting 80 some starts on the year spread out between 3rd, 2nd, dh maybe even 1st.

chisoxmike
11-22-2005, 03:51 PM
You know, before 2005 started I thought the Sox should consider Muller to replace Crede. I think during the regular season Crede's defense showed much improvement (except that first game against the Red Sox where he dropped that foul pop up) and his bat came around after his "finger injury." And, after the playoffs Crede became that player that we all thought he would be.

Is this going to hold up? Or was it an extended hot streak that he usually goes on a few times a season? Who knows. The big question is his back. It looked like it wasn't a problem but you can never really tell. I trust Herm, Kenny, Ozzie to make a fair, accurate judgment call on Crede.

Muller isn't a far superior 3B or player than Crede is and Crede has more upside. I doubt the deal happens.

maurice
11-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Depending on how the 1B/DH situation sorts itself out, Mueller could be a super-sub who plays regularly -- mostly DH and a little bit of 3B, 2B, and 1B. (If, for some reason, KW can't get a better hitter to replace Everett, Mueller would split time at DH with Thomas.) Ozzie probably will want to give Mueller, Thomas, Iguchi, and Crede regular time off.

A. Cavatica
11-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Depending on how the 1B/DH situation sorts itself out, Mueller could be a super-sub who plays regularly -- mostly DH and a little bit of 3B, 2B, and 1B. (If, for some reason, KW can't get a better hitter to replace Everett, Mueller would split time at DH with Thomas.) Ozzie probably will want to give Mueller, Thomas, Iguchi, and Crede regular time off.

Knees, knees. If he could still play 2B, he would have played there a lot last year, with Youkilis at third. But the Red Sox went and got Tony Graffanino.

Much as I like the idea of Mueller instead of Gload -- a Mueller/Ozuna/Harris bench would be pretty versatile -- it ain't happening.

maurice
11-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Knees, knees. If he could still play 2B, he would have played there a lot last year, with Youkilis at third.

Different situation. We have Iguchi to start most of the games. The Red Cubs had nobody.

Like I said, Ozzie would give Mueller lots of time off to rest his breakdown-prone body, and he'd also DH a lot. He'd probably only be asked to play "a bit" of 2B (maybe a few times the entire year), since we'd still have Ozuna and maybe even Harris.

ChiSoxIn06
11-22-2005, 07:26 PM
With Blum gone, we need a good bench player. Herr Mueller can fit the bill.

was thinking the same thing

A. Cavatica
11-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Different situation. We have Iguchi to start most of the games. The Red Cubs had nobody.

Right, the Red Sox had a hole at second base (Bellhorn) and a surplus at third (Youkilis). Youkilis can't play second. The logical move was to move Mueller to second, except his knees wouldn't allow it. Mueller logged all of 43 innings at second base in 2005, and he would get approximately zero for the White Sox.

He also didn't play an inning at first, despite another hole there (Millar).

Don't get me wrong, I think Mueller would make a great backup at 3B/1B, a fine lefthanded DH/PH, and he's a great team guy -- I just think he's too expensive for that role. Why wouldn't he stay in Boston if he's willing to be a bench player?

Tragg
11-22-2005, 10:42 PM
How much do yall figure Mueller will cost?

A. Cavatica
11-22-2005, 10:49 PM
How much do yall figure Mueller will cost?

Maybe as much as $4M.

Tragg
11-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Maybe as much as $4M.

Ouch

Domeshot17
11-23-2005, 01:29 PM
I think there are a lot of factors in Mueller.

He liked Chicago on his first stint, might want to return.

Might be looking for a 1 year deal to role play, get his legs healthy and rested up and then make a run at one last 2 year deal.

Plus Side: No matter where you put him, hes a vaccum, one of the best IF gloves in the game. He Clearly replaces Willie Harris. Gload is signed very cheap, and takes over the Timo Perez OF/1b role. Hits for average and plays great D which is how we play. Can Handle 1b/3b/2b/DH and probably give us 290 average over 200 ABS

Negative: Expensive for a 30% of the time player. Losing Power and battling injuries. May not be happy after sitting for a while.

I say, if he is willing to be a back up here, 3 time a week player like Blum was, then give him the money. Sound investment and better spent then Ben Davis (1 mil) Timo (1mil) Willie (500k) and Burke (400k). Theres the money for a 1 year 3 mil offer.

CluelessJoe1919
11-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Teams will come shooting for the Sox next season so the Sox will have to improve. If Mueller isn't too expensive, he'd be a great addition, although I'd be a bit concerned about Crede, since he sometimes seems to let his head (confidence) get to him....
I used to cover Mueller in the minors in the SF organization and he can play 2B and SS. I've seen him in the Cubs' locker room and he's a great locker room guy.

SOXSINCE'70
11-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Teams will come shooting for the Sox next season so the Sox will have to improve.

They are now walking around with bullseyes in their backs.
This is what happens to all teams that win championships.
The Sox will have to improve,as you correctly point out.
Whether Mueller is the answer off the bench,I have no clue.
But rest assured,KW and Ozzie will not stand pat this offseason.
The Rowand for Thome move should tell you the intent is to,
in the words of Steely Dan (or The Beach Boys) "Do It Again".
One WS title is good,but if the Sox are not going to be written
off as a fluke team,changes must be made so they can contend
for yet another shot at the post season.

ChiSoxGirl
12-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Per Bruce Levine on Silvy & Carmen this morning (consider the source), the Sox are currently in talks with Bill Mueller, and would be paying him somewhere in the neighborhood of $6 million. I didn't hear if Levine indicated how long the contract would be for, but apparently they're interested in him because he can pretty much play any infield position and could serve as a DH.

For what it's worth, I think they've got a pretty good utility in fielder in Pablo Ozuna, and if they want someone who can occasionally DH, hello... Frank Thomas! And my guess would be that they could get Frank back for less than the $6 million they'd pay Mueller. I know it's predominantly a health issue with Frank, but hasn't Mueller had a couple injuries throughout his career, i.e. his knee? If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the major reason they'd be in pursuit of Mueller would be because of Crede's back. Mr. October's back seem just fine in the playoffs to me, though.

I'll believe this when I see the official press release, but just thought I'd share the latest rumor.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Per Bruce Levine on Silvy & Carmen this morning (consider the source), the Sox are currently in talks with Bill Mueller, and would be paying him somewhere in the neighborhood of $6 million. I didn't hear if Levine indicated how long the contract would be for, but apparently they're interested in him because he can pretty much play any infield position and could serve as a DH.

For what it's worth, I think they've got a pretty good utility in fielder in Pablo Ozuna, and if they want someone who can occasionally DH, hello... Frank Thomas! And my guess would be that they could get Frank back for less than the $6 million they'd pay Mueller. I know it's predominantly a health issue with Frank, but hasn't Mueller had a couple injuries throughout his career, i.e. his knee? If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the major reason they'd be in pursuit of Mueller would be because of Crede's back. Mr. October's back seem just fine in the playoffs to me, though.

I'll believe this when I see the official press release, but just thought I'd share the latest rumor.Bruce Levine? Maybe he's still working on that Wes Helms trade.:rolleyes:

mdep524
12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Per Bruce Levine on Silvy & Carmen this morning (consider the source), the Sox are currently in talks with Bill Mueller, and would be paying him somewhere in the neighborhood of $6 million. Actually, I thought Levine said that Mueller earned $6 million last year, not that he was being offered $6 million for a new contract. But I could be wrong. In any case, the more I think about Mueller the more I like it. Chances are somebody is going to be injured at some point in '06: Thome or Crede are the most likely. Mueller is excellent insurance there, has a good glove, hits for a good average and OBP, making him an option as a number 2 hitter, and is reportedly a good clubhouse guy.

Given Ozzie's tendency to give players days off (especially Iguchi), Mueller could get semi-regular bats anyway, even without any injuries. The other guy who would be great for all those things- versatility, high average, number 2 hitter- would be Nomar, and he'll probably cost too much to not be an everyday player. Mueller could work.

Randar68
12-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Actually, I thought Levine said that Mueller earned $6 million last year, not that he was being offered $6 million for a new contract. But I could be wrong. In any case, the more I think about Mueller the more I like it. Chances are somebody is going to be injured at some point in '06: Thome or Crede are the most likely. Mueller is excellent insurance there, has a good glove, hits for a good average and OBP, making him an option as a number 2 hitter, and is reportedly a good clubhouse guy.

Given Ozzie's tendency to give players days off (especially Iguchi), Mueller could get semi-regular bats anyway, even without any injuries. The other guy who would be great for all those things- versatility, high average, number 2 hitter- would be Nomar, and he'll probably cost too much to not be an everyday player. Mueller could work.

The question, IMO, is... who is your backup SS? Jermaine Dye? LOL! Ozuna is not good enough to play there unless there is a 1-day type of emergency... Mueller can't... Nomar is the only one who could do it...

ChiSoxGirl
12-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Actually, I thought Levine said that Mueller earned $6 million last year, not that he was being offered $6 million for a new contract.

You very well could be right. I very well could've misunderstood, as I'm streaming ESPN 1000 in my classroom and the volume is very low. :wink:

Flight #24
12-01-2005, 12:14 PM
The question, IMO, is... who is your backup SS? Jermaine Dye? LOL! Ozuna is not good enough to play there unless there is a 1-day type of emergency... Mueller can't... Nomar is the only one who could do it...Works for the Sox, but I don't see Nomar coming for a couple mil, I don't see the Sox paying $6+ for a reserve, and I wonder if Nomar will look for more of a fulltime role rather than 4 starts/wk (1 each at 2B, SS, 3B, 1B/DH).

That would be perfect though. Provide some injury insurance for Thome & Crede and a pretty good bat off the bench.

mdep524
12-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Works for the Sox, but I don't see Nomar coming for a couple mil, I don't see the Sox paying $6+ for a reserve, and I wonder if Nomar will look for more of a fulltime role rather than 4 starts/wk (1 each at 2B, SS, 3B, 1B/DH).

That would be perfect though. Provide some injury insurance for Thome & Crede and a pretty good bat off the bench. You could probably throw LF in there as well once in a while. If the rookie needs a day off Pods could play CF and Nomar could slot in LF. You'd be losing A LOT defensively that way (probably too much, IMO), but the line up would be sick.

Podsednik CF
Garciaparra LF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Iguchi 2B
Pierzynski C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Yikes. That's scary good. It'd be much more likely for Nomar to step in at SS, 3B, 2B, 1B and DH though. And it's unlikely anyway, considering how much money Nomar will probably get. But I wonder if he'd cut a discount to play in Chicago (like a hometown for him) for the defending world champs... :smile:

Randar68
12-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Yikes. That's scary good. It'd be much more likely for Nomar to step in at SS, 3B, 2B, 1B and DH though. And it's unlikely anyway, considering how much money Nomar will probably get. But I wonder if he'd cut a discount to play in Chicago (like a hometown for him) for the defending world champs... :smile:

Mueller made 6 million last year and we're apparenly after him.

Nomar hasn't stayed healthy in 2 or 3 years and had a one-year contract in the 6 million dollar range last year, IIRC...

Nomar isn't in very high demand right now.

mdep524
12-01-2005, 12:56 PM

Nomar hasn't stayed healthy in 2 or 3 years and had a one-year contract in the 6 million dollar range last year, IIRC...

Nomar isn't in very high demand right now. True, and I hope you're right. I'd guess in the end Nomar's 2006 contract will be bigger than Mueller's though. By how much? That will dictate whether the Sox pursue Nomar or settle for Mueller.

Mickster
12-01-2005, 12:58 PM

Nomar isn't in very high demand right now.

I think Nomar signed an $8M deal with the cubs last year.

Nomar might be in demand if Furcal goes to the cubs. I could see Atlanta signing him to be a replacement for Furcal.

Flight #24
12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
True, and I hope you're right. I'd guess in the end Nomar's 2006 contract will be bigger than Mueller's though. By how much? That will dictate whether the Sox pursue Nomar or settle for Mueller.

KW might also be somewhat concerned with using a injury-prone guy as insurance for a guy with a bad back. You run the risk of seeing Ozuna out there on a daily basis. At least Mueller's generally been healthy enough to play, even though there's a lot less upside.

bear_brian
12-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Bill Mueller was paid $ 2.5 million last year with the Red sox. If the Sox are negotiating with him the $6 million number would have to be for two years, NOT one year.

White Sox Randy
12-01-2005, 01:14 PM
exactly

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Nomar isn't in very high demand right now.Nomar is not in demand right now because teams are waiting for Furcal to sign. After that, Nomar will be the consolation prize. I can't believe that someone won't sign Nomar to be their everyday SS, injury history or not.

White Sox Randy
12-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Noone will sign Nomar to be their everyday SS. No way.

Teams are looking at him for 3b, 2b, 1b, LF, Dh etc. and few would count on him without a backup in place at those positions.

santo=dorf
12-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Why would Mueller come here to be a role player? I can see him going to the Twins to be the everyday third baseman.

also, the Cubs actually restructured Nomore's contract in Spring Training guaranteeing him an additional $250,000. :rolling:

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Noone will sign Nomar to be their everyday SS. No way.

Teams are looking at him for 3b, 2b, 1b, LF, Dh etc. and few would count on him without a backup in place at those positions.He might get signed to play 3B, but he's going to be signed to be an everyday player, not a backup. Betcha a nickel.

White Sox Randy
12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I said that he would be a starter but not at SS. But, even with that, teams will be mindful of needing a plan B if he goes down.

Personally, I like Nomar for the Sox. I would have preferred him and Giles rather than Konerko. Nomar for DH and Crede backup with Giles, Pods and Dye in the outfield - Anderson as 4th OF.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2005, 01:30 PM
I said that he would be a starter but not at SS. But, even with that, teams will be mindful of needing a plan B if he goes down.

Personally, I like Nomar for the Sox. I would have preferred him and Giles rather than Konerko. Nomar for DH and Crede backup with Giles, Pods and Dye in the outfield - Anderson as 4th OF.Either way, he's not coming to the Sox to be a backup, which was the point I was getting at.

wdelaney72
12-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Why would Mueller come here to be a role player? I can see him going to the Twins to be the everyday third baseman.

That is a move that would make a lot of sense (for the Twins).

Tragg
12-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Works for the Sox, but I don't see Nomar coming for a couple mil, I don't see the Sox paying $6+ for a reserve, and I wonder if Nomar will look for more of a fulltime role rather than 4 starts/wk (1 each at 2B, SS, 3B, 1B/DH).

That would be perfect though. Provide some injury insurance for Thome & Crede and a pretty good bat off the bench.
Plus, he could play 3-4 times a week; more if he can play OF. Sub for Crede, Konerko, Uribe, Dye once a week; play DH once a week...that's 5. Everybody stays fresh.

A. Cavatica
12-01-2005, 06:56 PM
The Mueller speculation won't die...is there fire behind the smoke?

IMHO, the way this works for the Sox is if we trade Crede. Fields may not be ready in a year and KW may be looking for a non-Boras, multiyear solution at third, as well a #2 hitter (and another lefty).

So, if Mueller suddenly signs, where could Crede be headed? It would have to be a team that valued Crede's youth & contract, and maybe power, enough so that they wouldn't just go and sign Mueller themselves. Maybe Arizona, which might send Glaus somewhere? Cincy? Philly, as a kicker to the Thome/Rowand trade?

And the $64,000 question: what would we get for Crede? A veteran CF (Griffey)? Bullpen help (Hermanson insurance)? Prospects?

RowandKicksAss07
12-01-2005, 11:16 PM
im not trying to ignite any griffey trade speculation, but what is his current health status, because i know he got hurt at the end of the year?

Al Franken AA
12-01-2005, 11:19 PM
If Billy Mueller would accept a backup role, he'd be a great asset to the '06 Sox.

DickAllen72
12-02-2005, 09:43 PM
I'd rather the Sox get Mackowiak. He's more versatile---can play outfield as well as infield. Younger and faster with no bad knees.

I don't know what Pittsburgh would ask for him, but I'll bet KW finds out next week.

getonbckthr
12-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Ryan Freel

DickAllen72
12-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Ryan Freel

Freel would be great, but I doubt the Reds would want to trade him.

Anyone know what the Reds & Pirates are in need of this offseason?

KRS1
12-02-2005, 11:51 PM

Is this really a question? I'm pretty sure both teams will be after pitching especially the Reds, but I'd say both teams want a good 3 bagger as the Pirates dont wanna have Mak out there at 3 everyday, and Lopez is def. better at SS. The Pirates need a 1b bad and have a buncha good utility guys on their roster(maybe Ross for one of Guzman or DeCaster).

DickAllen72
12-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Is this really a question?

No.

Flight #24
12-03-2005, 12:09 AM

IMHO, the way this works for the Sox is if we trade Crede. Fields may not be ready in a year and KW may be looking for a non-Boras, multiyear solution at third, as well a #2 hitter (and another lefty).

So, if Mueller suddenly signs, where could Crede be headed? It would have to be a team that valued Crede's youth & contract, and maybe power, enough so that they wouldn't just go and sign Mueller themselves. Maybe Arizona, which might send Glaus somewhere? Cincy? Philly, as a kicker to the Thome/Rowand trade?

And the $64,000 question: what would we get for Crede? A veteran CF (Griffey)? Bullpen help (Hermanson insurance)? Prospects?

Crede is a cheap, multiyear solution at 3B. He's not eligible for FA for 3 years, so the Boras factor doesn't come into play. Far far better for the Sox to hold onto him while he's cheap and then if he busts out, then you can either deal him for more or keep him. The only reasons to trade him are if you don't trust his back or if you think he's just not that good and will only drop in trade value.

Banix12
12-03-2005, 01:05 AM

Here is the extent of the fire I can find.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051202sox,1,4313007.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"The Twins also are interested in switch-hitting third baseman Bill Mueller, whom the Sox are trying to convince to sign as a utility player despite the presence of Joe Crede (who is coping with two herniated discs in his lower back)."

I would welcome Bill Mueller if he came here at whatever cost, he is a quality player. I fully understand why it is a good deal for the white sox, I just can't figure out why it is a good deal for him. Why would he voluntarily choose to become a utility player when he has proven he still has the goods to start? I know it can happen, Todd Walker came to the cubs under a similar circumstance. I just find it odd.

As for crede, i have to think they keep him regardless, not because they couldn't get quality players in return but because if they sign Mueller then they really don't have any real pressing needs to address.

Tragg
12-03-2005, 10:33 AM
I welcome Mueller's bat. But that leaves 3 infield reserves, as Willie is the only one of the 3 that can play SS, right?
Cries to trade Crede are as silly now as they were a year ago.

A. Cavatica
12-03-2005, 10:52 AM
I welcome Mueller's bat. But that leaves 3 infield reserves, as Willie is the only one of the 3 that can play SS, right?
Cries to trade Crede are as silly now as they were a year ago.

Ozuna is your backup SS. After that, it goes Willie, Iguchi, and Jermaine.

bigfoot
12-03-2005, 10:58 AM

2-3 million ticket sales and a great large market media contract!

Sorry.

DickAllen72
12-03-2005, 01:34 PM
2-3 million ticket sales and a great large market media contract!

Sorry.

:D:

Jjav829
12-03-2005, 08:49 PM

Reds - Pitching, pitching and more pitching. They are set at all their infield and outfield positions for next year.

Pirates - Talent. :smile:

Oh and before someone brings it up; No, the Reds would not be interested in El Duque for Freel.

Banix12
12-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Reds - Pitching, pitching and more pitching. They are set at all their infield positions for next year.

Pirates - Talent. :smile:

Oh and before someone brings it up; No, the Reds would not be interested in El Duque for Freel.

Damn, my suggestion...

FWIW, ESPN has reported that the Pirates are pursuing Nomar, I think to be the starting 3b.

Still waiting for the reds to do something, have a feeling it will take awhile.