PDA

View Full Version : cubs and sox talking?

irish rover
12-17-2001, 05:38 PM
some knucklehead at the sox mlb board heard a rumor(no source) that the sox and cubs were talking Tavarez and bean ball Ben Christianson for CLee and Durham, ooooooooooooo that is one ugly trade

another guy who lives in LA says the Dodgers are interested in Howry

RedPinStripes
12-17-2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
some knucklehead at the sox mlb board heard a rumor(no source) that the sox and cubs were talking Tavarez and bean ball Ben Christianson for CLee and Durham, ooooooooooooo that is one ugly trade

That's a disgusting trade! Ray and Lee are worth more then that. I wouldn't mind Cristensen though. He's another Weaver. arrogant and ballsy. My kind of pitcher.

Any chance the Dodgers want Royce too? They can have both for a case of Skoal bandits.

AsInWreck
12-17-2001, 05:43 PM
It probably sounds good to kw, though. He'd probably throw in a couple prospects to make sure they bite.

danman31
12-17-2001, 05:46 PM

Beautiful. Let's send the gascan to LA!! Next thing for LA is that they sign Embree. Geez they sure have a lack of scouting of pro talent.

RichH55
12-17-2001, 06:22 PM
What would a potential deal on Howry be? I'm guessing not a ton, especially since he is at the low of his value. Howry deserves a shot to prove he has his fastball back. I mean you aren't going to get anything for him, and if he gets that fastball back hes a plus reliever here or elsewhere....Usually not a good idea to give a guy way who could prove useful...I haven't heard any negative locker room stories either....

PaleHoseGeorge
12-17-2001, 06:25 PM

I would be very careful about believing anything the trolls and spammers on that site post regarding trade rumors. Most of those people are nothing but cross-dressers--trying to attract some attention by disguising what they really are.

RichH55
12-17-2001, 06:27 PM
I personally dont want beanball...Hes already shown quite the lack of character IMO and I'm kind of looking forward to all the bad press the flubs will get when he finally arrives...plus on a baseball side the kid is coming off serious arm troubles and hasn't proven much of anything and I doub the flubs would just give him away either....They are in for a Belle type PR nightmare...won't matter what the kids does they won't get the benefit of the doubt, and watch the day he becomes a 20-game winner they run a story about Molina and the hellhole his life became after the incident...kind of takes the bloom off the rose...

RichH55
12-17-2001, 06:28 PM
On a related note I'm still trying to figure out what Belle did wrong when he plowed Vina at 2nd...If Pete Rose does that he's Charlie Hustle...if Cal Ripken does that we celebrate the month of October in his honor as the savior of baseball who plays the game like it was meant to be played and plays to win

:hitless :slowswing
Dont worry about us, you'd have to be on-base to do what Belle did

RedPinStripes
12-17-2001, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
On a related note I'm still trying to figure out what Belle did wrong when he plowed Vina at 2nd...If Pete Rose does that he's Charlie Hustle...if Cal Ripken does that we celebrate the month of October in his honor as the savior of baseball who plays the game like it was meant to be played and plays to win

:hitless :slowswing
Dont worry about us, you'd have to be on-base to do what Belle did

LOL!!!!!!!

Tragg
12-17-2001, 07:06 PM
Julian Taverez? Eeek. Career middle reliever, spot 5th starter.

Just the kind of player kenny williams would overpay for. The Royce Clayton of pitchers.

MattSharp
12-17-2001, 10:11 PM
I can never help but laugh reading ths stuff. You guys are great.

LA wants Howry cause they desperatlye need a closer. If the Sox traded him though, it might benefit, cause then they can sign Foulke and stop saying we don't need Foulke cause we have Howry. Foulke is the ****ing ****.

A note about Foulke though, did you know that he wants to be a starter and has inquired about it, but he has a calcium deficieny which is what prevents him from going too many innings.

LongDistanceFan
12-17-2001, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I can never help but laugh reading ths stuff. You guys are great.

LA wants Howry cause they desperatlye need a closer. If the Sox traded him though, it might benefit, cause then they can sign Foulke and stop saying we don't need Foulke cause we have Howry. Foulke is the ****ing ****.

A note about Foulke though, did you know that he wants to be a starter and has inquired about it, but he has a calcium deficieny which is what prevents him from going too many innings. haven't the sox sign foulke already?

Spiff
12-17-2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
haven't the sox sign foulke already?

Yep

OfficerKarkovice
12-17-2001, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
A note about Foulke though, did you know that he wants to be a starter and has inquired about it, but he has a calcium deficieny which is what prevents him from going too many innings.

ummm...a calcium deficiency which prevents him from going too many innings...i think u need to lay of the

Huisj
12-17-2001, 10:55 PM
I can see why LA might want Howry. They wouldn't have to give up a whole lot for him probably, and he's got potential to be good and give depth to the bullpen or be an emergency closer. Plus, remember, their GM was with the sox when Howry was good a few years ago.

NO NO NO NO to that supposed rumor with the Cubs. It was be crap if the sox got that Chrisiansen guy. As is it, the Cubs will get some negative press about it (of course, the trib will completely ignore his past if he's on the cubs I bet) but if he was on the sox, the press would be all over it when he got to the bigs (imagine the trib's articles on it if he went to the sox. . . makes me sick thinking about it). And tavarez sucks too, he'd get pounded in teh AL, as long as he wasn't busy body slamming umps like he did when he was with cleveland. All you get in that trade is two head cases.

Soxboyrob
12-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Julian Taverez? Eeek. Career middle reliever, spot 5th starter.

Just the kind of player kenny williams would overpay for. The Royce Clayton of pitchers.

Career middle reliever/spot 5th starter.....sounds like Sean Lowe. I thought we liked guys like that?

Tragg
12-18-2001, 10:52 AM
We do - and we have plenty of them.

For durham and lee?

I don't think so.

Soxboyrob
12-18-2001, 11:05 AM
Well, I agree w/ you. As infuriating as Durham and Lee can be, they have plenty of market value and ought to bring something pretty damn good in return if dealt.

RichH55
12-19-2001, 08:09 AM
Hey what does the little papaerclip next to some of the posts me? We are marking for people for death yet are we? Tough Crowd at the WSI

Daver
12-19-2001, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hey what does the little papaerclip next to some of the posts me? We are marking for people for death yet are we? Tough Crowd at the WSI

It means there is an attachment in the thread,a skull and crossbones means you are marked for death.

longshot7
12-19-2001, 04:32 PM
I'm that LA guy. I read the Howry rumor on ESPN's rumor central. I'm not quite sure why the Dodgers would make that trade - they have another guy just like Howry named Matt Herges - and they just traded for Paul Quantrill - so they already have two set-up men (and no closer) -

unless they were willing to take Clayton's contract as a bonus. We wouldn't have to get anything in return.

Howry & Clayton for Bupkiss

I like it.