PDA

View Full Version : Gammons: Beckett and Lowell to the Red Sox

Jjav829
11-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Breaking News from Peter Gammons on SportsCenter. Gammons says he is hearing Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell have been traded to the Red Sox. The good news for the Marlins is that they are getting some nice players. Gammons says they will acquire Hanley Ramirez and Annibal Sanchez plus another prospect. This is a lot better than Blalock. Still, it looks like the Marlins fire sale is beginning.

veeter
11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Man, Texas just can't land a pitcher.

SoxSpeed22
11-21-2005, 06:25 PM
ESPN reports that the Red Sox and Marlins are close to a deal that would send Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to Boston, for rookie shortstop, Hanley Ramirez and a top pitching prospect. Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2232211)
Since the Red Sox aren't trying to get Burnett and they would try to improve their pitching, this would be a good trade for them. Everyone's trying to get better. I'm sure Kenny is too.

MUsoxfan
11-21-2005, 06:25 PM
The real breaking news here is that there's Red Sox news that Fenway didn't break first:o::tongue:

Unregistered
11-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Who's doing the GM work for Boston?

SoxSpeed22
11-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Who's doing the GM work for Boston?Good question. They didn't say.

Jjav829
11-21-2005, 06:27 PM
The real breaking news here is that there's Red Sox news that Fenway didn't break first:o::tongue:

Ha. :D:Yeah, it was just lucky timing. I got home, turned the computer on and flipped on the TV just as Ravech was saying that Gammons would be joining them on the phone. I knew it was going to be breaking news on some trade since Gammons was on the phone. Once he brought up Beckett's name there was a brief moment where I hoped he was going to say that Beckett was going to the White Sox.

The Deacon
11-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Breaking News from Peter Gammons on SportsCenter. Gammons says he is hearing Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell have been traded to the Red Sox. The good news for the Marlins is that they are getting some nice players. Gammons says they will acquire Hanley Ramirez and Annibal Sanchez plus another prospect. This is a lot better than Blalock. Still, it looks like the Marlins fire sale is beginning.

Why so down on Blalock? He's only 24 and has put up some pretty good stats. I'd rather have him than 2 unproven prospects, no matter how big the hype behind them. Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivio, anyone?
If the Marlins do hold a fire sale, they will also be relocated in the upcoming years. The Las Vegas Slots?? The Hoover Dams?

Mr. White Sox
11-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Big, biiiiig trade for Boston. They unload a pitching prospect that isn't their top P (Lester is their top pitching prospect from what I've heard) and get rid of a logjam at SS (Hanley Ramirez is almost MLB-ready and Renteria, for better or worse, has three years left) while picking up a huge need for a #1 pitcher as well as Lowell (they can unload Bill Mueller now).

mjmcend
11-21-2005, 06:40 PM
they can unload Bill Mueller now.

I believe he is a free agent, so they can just let him walk. Probably to the Twins. But this is a huge move for Boston if Beckett can stay healthy. This puts them back in the world series hunt if Shilling is healthy and can regain his old form.

SoxSpeed22
11-21-2005, 06:43 PM
D'oh! Do what you like with this thread mods.:o:

Banix12
11-21-2005, 06:47 PM
I believe he is a free agent, so they can just let him walk. Probably to the Twins. But this is a huge move for Boston if Beckett can stay healthy. This puts them back in the world series hunt if Shilling is healthy and can regain his old form.

right on about Mueller, he'll walk. My question is what do they do now with Youkilis, do they still consider him a future player on their team or trade him. Possibly one of them moves to 1b.

EDIT: I would also surmise that this is the end of the Marlins in South Flordia. If they have a second fire sale in 8 years I can't see the legislature ever helping them get a stadium done and the fans should just stay away. They will move in the next two to three years, bank on it.

Mr. White Sox
11-21-2005, 07:00 PM
EDIT: I would also surmise that this is the end of the Marlins in South Flordia. If they have a second fire sale in 8 years I can't see the legislature ever helping them get a stadium done and the fans should just stay away. They will move in the next two to three years, bank on it.

Yeah, but where will they go? Utah? Montreal? New Orleans? Maine? Montana?

Flight #24
11-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Man, Texas just can't land a pitcher.

Sure they can - We'll send 'em El Duque quite happily for that Teixeira guy. Imagine how much they'll save on spellchecker alone!

beckett21
11-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Ha. :D:Yeah, it was just lucky timing. I got home, turned the computer on and flipped on the TV just as Ravech was saying that Gammons would be joining them on the phone. I knew it was going to be breaking news on some trade since Gammons was on the phone. Once he brought up Beckett's name there was a brief moment where I hoped he was going to say that Beckett was going to the White Sox.

Oh how I wish he was coming to our Sox. :(:

Great trade for Boston. This doesn't solve all of their pitching problems but it's a good start.

y2j2785
11-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Good trade for the Red Sox. Good defense and power with Lowell and a solid pitcher in Josh Beckett, but can he pitch 200 innings without getting hurt?

anyone think we can sign Mueller now that Red Sox wont resign him?

antitwins13
11-21-2005, 07:23 PM
:boston Breaking news: The Red Sox are about to get Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Dontrell Willis, and Derek Jeter. Pretty much I just make up crap to promote the world's best team! Go Red SOX!

JermaineDye05
11-21-2005, 07:29 PM
just lost burnett, now are reportedly giving away beckett and lowell, and might end up trading pierre and/or delgado, they just trying to get a fresh start or something I just find it kind of odd that they're getting rid of all these guys, they gonna resign gonzalez or are they letting him go too?

The Deacon
11-21-2005, 07:36 PM
just lost burnett, now are reportedly giving away beckett and lowell, and might end up trading pierre and/or delgado, they just trying to get a fresh start or something I just find it kind of odd that they're getting rid of all these guys, they gonna resign gonzalez or are they letting him go too?

I think it's because they didnt get that new stadium deal. They'll moved be out of Florida in a couple of years, this is just the prelude to the demise.

y2j2785
11-21-2005, 07:38 PM
to add to this they probably will not re-sign alex gonzalez because they believe Hanley Ramirez will take his place, but i guess they could re-sign him if they traded luis castillo.

Jjav829
11-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Why so down on Blalock? He's only 24 and has put up some pretty good stats. I'd rather have him than 2 unproven prospects, no matter how big the hype behind them. Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivio, anyone?
If the Marlins do hold a fire sale, they will also be relocated in the upcoming years. The Las Vegas Slots?? The Hoover Dams?

Like I've said before:

1.) Blalock is terrible against lefties. And I do mean terrible. He needs a platoon partner because the guy is just awful against lefties.
2.) Blalock is awful away from Ameriquest.
3.) Blalock is a first half player. After the All Star break he drops off significantly.

This is a better trade for the Marlins organization, even if it isn't good news for the fans since their chances of relocating increase. The Marlins won't compete next year without Beckett. Willis is their only good, established pitcher. With Beckett gone they are definitely going into a rebuilding mode. So, no use in acquiring an overrated 3B when their best player is going to be moving to 3B full time. They are better off taking their shot with two highly regarded prospects. If two of Vargas, Olsen and Sanchez can live up to their potential and join Willis, their pitching could be pretty good in a few years. With Ramirez they can let Gonzalez walk and have a replacement with good potential.

If you're going to go into a rebuilding mode, you might as well do it completely. I know Marlins fans might not be too happy, but they're better off getting good prospects and hoping to be a World Series contender in 3-4 years than acquiring Blalock when their 1B/3B positions are already set, at least until Delgado is traded.

MiamiSpartan
11-21-2005, 07:46 PM
The last fire sale ended up in their 2nd World Championship. It would be a good move for Boston if Lowell's bat comes back to life...

Can't blame the Marlins. Dade County can't get funding together for the new park, and the state would not pitch in anything either. Sucks, because this is the only team that has had any kind of recent success, and yet no one seems to care....

It's Time
11-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Very much a mixed reaction on Marlinsbaseball.com

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53447

The Deacon
11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
There is only one more team I dislike more than the Boston Red Cubs...
I hope this trade blows up in their face.

buehrle4cy05
11-21-2005, 07:55 PM
So they get a pitcher who will log as many innings in simulated games as in regular season games and a third baseman who's bordering on washed-up. They give up their shortstop of the future (when Renteria leaves) and a young starter, something that they don't have a lot of outside of Palpabon.

I think in the long run Florida gets a great deal (if they're still Florida then). Boston might get production out of Lowell for a year, and Beckett will be good if he's healthy.

Craig Grebeck
11-21-2005, 08:00 PM
So they get a pitcher who will log as many innings in simulated games as in regular season games and a third baseman who's bordering on washed-up. They give up their shortstop of the future (when Renteria leaves) and a young starter, something that they don't have a lot of outside of Palpabon.

I think in the long run Florida gets a great deal (if they're still Florida then). Boston might get production out of Lowell for a year, and Beckett will be good if he's healthy.
Beckett has increased his innings the last three years from 142.0, to 158.2 and then last year to 178.2. I'm pretty sure his injury problems are grossly overblown. Boston gets a steal considering they gave up only prospects, one of which (Ramirez) is horribly overrated.

Tragg
11-21-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't care about the Marlins at all one way or the other. BUt I hate to see Boston improving their club.
That was obviously a much superior deal than the Texas deal. Analysis shows that Blaylock is a superficial player - Fla made the right choice.

Coolpapa
11-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Beckett, like Pavano and Burnett, is overrated. Lowell fits in well with this current red sox team--he can't run. Did they need another guy like this? No. A staff of Beckett, Wells, Schilling, and Clement is decent but will not produce a 20 game winner and will take a huge toll on their fair to poor bullpen.

Banix12
11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Beckett, like Pavano and Burnett, is overrated. Lowell fits in well with this current red sox team--he can't run. Did they need another guy like this? No. A staff of Beckett, Wells, Schilling, and Clement is decent but will not produce a 20 game winner and will take a huge toll on their fair to poor bullpen.

I thought the reports were that Wells was asking for a trade to get out of Boston.

The team as it is set up is good enough to manhandle the AL East by power alone, though that could get tough if Schilling fails to rebound, Manny Leaves, and the Blue Jays improve. I like Beckett and I think Papelbon should be a nice addition to the rotation, but the rest should have hitters salivating a bit.

If he is really going to have trouble moving around at 3b, it could be feasible that Lowell just moves over to 1b where he would be a welcome improvement over Olerud/Millar/Ortiz (on occasion). You don't get a player like Lowell though because of his speed, you hope for his bat to rebound and be a middle of the order hitter.

The Deacon
11-21-2005, 08:28 PM
http://www.soxprospects.com/players/ramirez-hanley.htm

Is this guy even that good or is he a product of the spinsters at ESPN? Looks like another Corey Patterson to me. :dtroll:

soxfanatlanta
11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Not a bad deal for Boston. But what does this do to their overall payroll for 2K6? They are adding at least 10+ million (assuming Fl does not eat part of it) to the books, and even the mighty BoSox have a limit to thier spending. Does this effectively take them out of the PK sweepstakes? Were they ever in it? Ye gods, shed some light on this unworthy hack!

Banix12
11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
http://www.soxprospects.com/players/ramirez-hanley.htm

Is this guy even that good or is he a product of the spinsters at ESPN? Looks like another Corey Patterson to me. :dtroll:

yeah, I don't get what the big deal is. Maybe one of the minor league experts or Fenway could fill me in.

Not a bad deal for Boston. But what does this do to their overall payroll for 2K6? They are adding at least 10+ million (assuming Fl does not eat part of it) to the books, and even the mighty BoSox have a limit to thier spending. Does this effectively take them out of the PK sweepstakes? Were they ever in it? Ye gods, shed some light on this unworthy hack!

I would never count out the Red Sox when it comes to spending. Whether they sign PK now though probably entirely depends on whether Manny is traded this offseason. If they don't trade him I think what money they have left to play with for next season is going to be put toward a closer and bullpen help and either Youkilis or Lowell becomes the everyday 1b. If they do trade him, and PK is still available, then maybe. They are also probably not done trading, especially now that they have an extra 3b again.

I don't think though that PK has ever seriously considered Boston unless they blew him away with a deal. He's such a low key guy and the Boston media is so high strung that I don't think he was looking forward to playing there.

Lip Man 1
11-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Gammons is now saying that the possibility exist the deal will fall apart since both sides have requested a few days before announcing the deal.

The Marlins are going to have a fire sale...hope the Sox can get in on the fun.

Lip

The Deacon
11-21-2005, 08:51 PM
yeah, I don't get what the big deal is. Maybe one of the minor league experts or Fenway could fill me in.

I would never count out the Red Sox when it comes to spending. Whether they sign PK now though probably entirely depends on whether Manny is traded this offseason. If they don't trade him I think what money they have left to play with for next season is going to be put toward a closer and bullpen help and either Youkilis or Lowell becomes the everyday 1b. If they do trade him, and PK is still available, then maybe. They are also probably not done trading, especially now that they have an extra 3b again.

I dont get how they are trading. They still dont have a GM!? :?:

Lip Man 1
11-21-2005, 08:52 PM
I'm guessing Lucchino.

Lip

samram
11-21-2005, 08:55 PM
I dont get how they are trading. They still dont have a GM!? :?:

A team is allowed to trade even without a GM. Lucchino has had his hand in a lot of the Red Sox moves over the last few seasons anyway.

What does it say, though, when the Red Sox apparently can't give their GM position away? Lucchino may be more Pulford-like than we know.

The Deacon
11-21-2005, 09:04 PM
A team is allowed to trade even without a GM. Lucchino has had his hand in a lot of the Red Sox moves over the last few seasons anyway.

What does it say, though, when the Red Sox apparently can't give their GM position away? Lucchino may be more Pulford-like than we know.

I knew they could trade, I would just think they would want a GM in place so he could formulate a plan. Lucchino muust be Pulford incarnate if he could chase away a 30 year kid. What GM is going to want to go there now?

Flight #24
11-21-2005, 09:51 PM

Last on ESPN has the BoSox eating all of the Lowell contract, then maybe spinning him elsewhere and sending 1/2 the $$$ along with him. So either Beckett costs them the prospects+$9+his salary, or they get the pleasure of $18/2 for Lowell.

Regardless, with Beckett likely to get anywhere from 5-7 in arb (reportedly), they just added a whole bunch of salary, which makes it that much less likely they'll splurge on Konerko. And even from a PR perspective, adding Beckett makes it unnecessary to make a big splash via FA.

On another note - if Beckett's going to make 5-7 in arb, it makes it likely that Garland would get something similar, or that the Sox might be able to lock him up on a $6-$7.5-$9 3-yr deal with a $10 team option ala Buehrle. That's not as big a jump as some had theorized.

bigfoot
11-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Yeah, but where will they go? Utah? Montreal? New Orleans? Maine? Montana?

Lip~Is there a big market for salt-water billfish in Montana?

Flight #24
11-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Gammons is now saying that the possibility exist the deal will fall apart since both sides have requested a few days before announcing the deal.

The Marlins are going to have a fire sale...hope the Sox can get in on the fun.

Lip

Well, that "fire sale" includes them supposedly talking about Lastings Milledge and/or Yusimeiro Petit for Delgado.......think the Mets versions of Gio Gonzalez and Chris Young, plus you get that salary.

They're getting some solid talent in return, and not discounting it much if any to send a salaried chump like Lowell along with Beckett. Sox want someone, it looks like it's not going to be as easy as just eating salary.

HotelWhiteSox
11-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Poor Rangers fans

Ironic how they made the deal without a GM

As far as the firesale, I said it before and I'll say it again, Mota!

mandmandm
11-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Didn't we hear this same talk after 97? They do have one more championship then us in the last 87 years with much fewer opportunities. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. I am content with one championship, let alone two in five years. Back to Back would be bliss though.....

soxfan123
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
I heard because of the hurricane that they lost a lot of their payroll. Anyone else hear this?

siugrad25
11-21-2005, 11:17 PM
I really think this all stems from the Marlins not getting the stadium deal earllier this year. If I'm correct I think they gave Mike Lowell that new contract a couple years ago with the thought that he would be moved if they didn't get the new stadium. I honestly think Carlos Delgado could wind up being moved too. This team put a lot of money into their payroll thinking they could persuade the state of Florida to show them they are worth keeping, and boy does seem to be leaning the way of the Marlins leaving South Florida in a few years since Wayne Huizenga has told the Marlins they have to be out of Dolphin Stadium by the end of this decade. I thought they had almost all the right pieces to make a strong push last year in the NL. Was I wrong.

And not to get off this subject, I really don't want Juan Pierre on the White Sox next year. They already have a SB threat at the top of their line up in Pods. Plus Rowand's defense is superior to Pierre.

Anyway, it's a shame to see the Marlins dismantle for the short term.

ShoelessJoeS
11-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Hopefully they unload Delgado this way :cool:

getonbckthr
11-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Florida said that any deal would only happen if the other team took Lowell's contract.

Deuce
11-22-2005, 03:57 AM
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2222/patrickfan6jf.png

"This is the greatest trade in the history of baseball."

voodoochile
11-22-2005, 07:53 AM

He's probably too busy pounding shots of tequila while staring in the general direction of the Bronx and making rude comments and gestures...:tongue:

Baby Fisk
11-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Sorry gang, I can't remember the source -- but I read last week that Epstein's assistants are handling the GM tasks by committee while Boston interviews candidates for the job. But Luccino must have his hand in things as well.

Jerome
11-22-2005, 08:16 AM
anyone think we can sign Mueller now that Red Sox wont resign him?

:yup: :yup:

I would love him in a White Sox uni, however not as much as I did in my Crede-hating days. Help out the depth big time. Combine Crede's D and Mueller's bat and we've got a pretty good third baseman. :smile:

I can't really evaulate this trade simply because I know nothing about the prospects involved for Florida. Boston sure made out pretty well. As we know around here, using your minor leauges as trade bait for stud starting pitching is not always a bad thing.

Fenway
11-22-2005, 09:13 AM

I was at work and not near a computer :cool:

Very little downside for Boston with this deal. Yes they gave up Hanley Ramierez but I suspect Boston wasn't 100% sure about him otherwise they never would have signed Renteria. Lowell had an awful season at the plate in 05 but playing at Fenway he may bounce back to his 02-04 numbers. And it may be a signal that the Red Sox will hold on to Manny, in which case there won't be the pressure on Lowell to produce. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Red Sox try Youkulis at first. In Beckett they have a young stud cheap and he has proven he can win at Yankee Stadium in a big game.

Who needs a GM :smile:

The Marlins get 3 players who will make $300K a year and I think this is the beginning of a possible move not to Las Vegas but Northern New Jersey. I think MLB really wants a third team in the NYC market to level the playing field.

KRS1
11-24-2005, 11:26 PM
A little change went on but here's the final deal.
Red Sox acquired RHP Josh Beckett, 3B Mike Lowell and RHP Guillermo Mota from the Marlins for SS Hanley Ramirez, RHP Anibal Sanchez, RHP Jesus Delgado and RHP Harvey Garcia.

Flight #24
11-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Holy crap. Just throw in Mota - a damn fine setup guy? Now there'ss a guy I would have loved to see KW go after for a prospect.

That right there makes this an awesome trade for the BoSox.

Tragg
11-25-2005, 09:16 AM
:yup: :yup:

I would love him in a White Sox uni, however not as much as I did in my Crede-hating days. Help out the depth big time. Combine Crede's D and Mueller's bat and we've got a pretty good third baseman. :smile:

I like his bat, too, but right now, I think we need a bench outfielder or someone who can play multiple positions. Ozuna is our utility infielder. I don't know that Mueller can play any other position.
i figure we'll keep Borchard, Ozuna, probably Harris, which leaves, what, 1 more opening?

NeverForget42
11-25-2005, 01:10 PM
does anyone think they're also going to unload miguel cabera (sp?)?

i myself doubt mainly because hes 22 or 23 and a big league star, but this is the marlins

MrX
11-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Holy crap. Just throw in Mota - a damn fine setup guy? Now there'ss a guy I would have loved to see KW go after for a prospect.

That right there makes this an awesome trade for the BoSox.
The Red Sox took advantage of the Marlins desperation to dump money so they questioned Beckett's health and threatened to back out unless Florida gave up Mota as well.

Fenway
11-25-2005, 04:35 PM
The Red Sox took advantage of the Marlins desperation to dump money so they questioned Beckett's health and threatened to back out unless Florida gave up Mota as well.

who needs a GM :D:

and if Lowell can bounce back to his 02-04 numbers, the deal is a steal.

and now with the Mets out of the Manny equation, Boston's biggest problem is Damon

palehozenychicty
11-26-2005, 08:57 AM

and now with the Mets out of the Manny equation, Boston's biggest problem is Damon

I think that they should let Damon walk. He wants a seven-year deal and is 32, can't play defense, and can't throw. Solid bat and baserunner, but still. Let's be real. fenway, do they have any centerfielders in the mix to replace him?

MHOUSE
11-27-2005, 02:48 AM
This trade is HUGE for Boston. They get a bonafide ace, who's young and coming off the best regular season of his career. As far as health does, aside from blister problems and a fluke abdominal injury (IIRC) he hasn't had any major elbow or shoulder problems. Then they get a very good reliever thrown in who, if healthy (he wasn't most of last year) can pitch like he did with the Dodgers will do wonders to shore up that bullpen. All this and they just have to eat Lowell's contract and give up a SS prospect with no major-league roster spot (Renteria) and some pitchers (not Lester). If Lowell can produce better-than-Millar numbers at the plate then this is a STEAL.

HotelWhiteSox
11-27-2005, 04:38 AM
Grrr, I didn't know Mota was included, I wanted him. A fire sale is no fun if you give everything to one team :angry:

Tragg
11-27-2005, 08:42 AM
This trade is HUGE for Boston. They get a bonafide ace, who's young and coming off the best regular season of his career. As far as health does, aside from blister problems and a fluke abdominal injury (IIRC) he hasn't had any major elbow or shoulder problems. Then they get a very good reliever thrown in who, if healthy (he wasn't most of last year) can pitch like he did with the Dodgers will do wonders to shore up that bullpen. All this and they just have to eat Lowell's contract and give up a SS prospect with no major-league roster spot (Renteria) and some pitchers (not Lester). If Lowell can produce better-than-Millar numbers at the plate then this is a STEAL.
I am impressed by the Red Sox ability to protect their top pitching prospect.
This deal works for a team with an unlimited budget, like Boston.
We could have done this. Taken Beckett and Lowell, given the Marlins the prospects we gave the Phillies, and then spin off Contreras or Garcia instead of the prospects in the Thome trade. The net difference, (for a team like us on a budget), is having Lowell and spending more money (Lowell plus Beckett minus Contreras/Garcia = $5 million more than where we are now). So we'd be spending $5 mill more and have Lowell. Pass.

Tragg
11-27-2005, 08:47 AM

and now with the Mets out of the Manny equation, Boston's biggest problem is DamonSteal for Boston, but not a steal for a team with any sort of budget. You add $12 million in payroll and get a fine pitcher, and a big ???. With your overall hitting, however, you're still okay if Lowell doesn't hit.

Brian26
11-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Grrr, I didn't know Mota was included, I wanted him. A fire sale is no fun if you give everything to one team

I just noticed this too. I haven't read any of the articles over the past few days, and I just noticed on another board the Mota was included also. This trade is just ludicrous, but I guess it's all about taking on extra contract. Mota's numbers havent been as good as they were when he was with the Dodgers, but he's still a great setup guy to have in the bullpen. Kudos to the Red Sox for pulling this off even without a bonafide GM at the helm.

Brian26
11-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Steal for Boston, but not a steal for a team with any sort of budget. You add $12 million in payroll and get a fine pitcher, and a big ???. With your overall hitting, however, you're still okay if Lowell doesn't hit.

Well said. This is a steal for any team that can afford it. It's all about taking on extra money. Looks like Youkalis will probably take over at first for Olerud and Millar now too.