PDA

View Full Version : Incompetent Pirates

It's Time
11-21-2005, 04:53 PM
The Pirates just traded Bobby Hill to the Padres for a player to be named later. That trade in itself is not why I'm rolling my eyes. What does make me laugh is that the Pirates do not have ONE player left from the Aramis Ramirez trade to the Cubs.:rolleyes:

Padres acquired infielder Bobby Hill from the Pirates for a player to be named later or cash.
This doesn't look like much better of a situation for Hill. Even if Sean Burroughs is shipped off, with Eric Young and Geoff Blum already around as reserves, Hill won't be much more than a pinch-hitter if he makes the team. He does have a career line of .268/.363/.381 in 97 AB as a pinch-hitter, so he's worthy of a roster spot. Nov. 21 - 4:01 pm et

buehrle4cy05
11-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Pittsburgh always complains about how other teams have so much more money and always spend it, and then they go out and maybe break a 20 in the offseason.

veeter
11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
I want to like the Pirates but they make it so hard. However, the uniforms are great.

It's Time
11-21-2005, 08:58 PM
From the Tribune:

Pittsburgh has no players remaining from the Ramirez trade, which was made mostly to avoid paying Ramirez's $6 million salary. Ramirez has since developed into one of the NL's top power-hitting infielders, batting .302 last season with 31 homers and 92 RBIs.

The Pirates also acquired infielder Jose Hernandez and minor league pitcher Matt Bruback in the trade, and neither player remains in Pittsburgh's organization.

This is such a poorly run franchise that it is now offically the laughing stock of Baseball. This used to be a model franchise. Very sad.

I_Liked_Manuel
11-21-2005, 09:07 PM
give it some time. the rebuilding process is right on track.

beckett21
11-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Pitiful. Just pitiful.

They do have some nice pitching prospects, like Zach Duke and Paul Maholm, to go along with Oliver Perez. It's probably only a matter of time before they deal those guys too, unfortunately.

At least they were smart enough to sign Jason Bay to an extension.

KRS1
11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Kinda off topic but the Pirates have 2 utility guys that I would kill to get and could prolly net some decent talent for. Of course Rob Makowiak, but th eone guy that has been in there minors sytem the last few years seemingly only b/c they have Rob is Yurendell De Caster. Honestly this guy either needs to be at the major league level or they need to get some value outta him now b4 he's gone for nothing like every1 else they get rid of(excluding Giles).

PaulDrake
11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
From the Tribune:

Pittsburgh has no players remaining from the Ramirez trade, which was made mostly to avoid paying Ramirez's $6 million salary. Ramirez has since developed into one of the NL's top power-hitting infielders, batting .302 last season with 31 homers and 92 RBIs.

The Pirates also acquired infielder Jose Hernandez and minor league pitcher Matt Bruback in the trade, and neither player remains in Pittsburgh's organization.

This is such a poorly run franchise that it is now offically the laughing stock of Baseball. This used to be a model franchise. Very sad. Like I've said before I'm not a celebrity or an insider. That being said I was told by someone I trust that the Pirates were in serious danger of not making payroll around the time of the Ramirez trade. Kevin McClatchy is the "owner" of the Pirates but many Pirate fans think a gentleman named G Ogden Nutting, a part owner calls the financial shots.

Tekijawa
11-22-2005, 08:47 AM
June 20th - 22nd the Royals play the Pirates. I wonder if they'll make a box set out of that series for their fans?

SOXintheBURGH
11-22-2005, 08:52 AM
As much as I miss going to games at PNC.. I really don't miss the team on the field. I know I sound like a Cub fan, so shoot me. :(:

It's Time
11-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Like I've said before I'm not a celebrity or an insider. That being said I was told by someone I trust that the Pirates were in serious danger of not making payroll around the time of the Ramirez trade. Kevin McClatchy is the "owner" of the Pirates but many Pirate fans think a gentleman named G Ogden Nutting, a part owner calls the financial shots.

So basically the Cubs stole Ramirez from the Pirates and Bud let it happen. If they couldn't make payroll, MLB should have stepped in rather than allow Pittsburgh to give away their best player for absolutely ****ing nothing.

dropkick371
11-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Most accounts I've been reading from fans are along the lines of "At least it's not nothing for Hill as well", who was dropped from the 40-man.

Pittsburgh always complains about how other teams have so much more money and always spend it, and then they go out and maybe break a 20 in the offseason. Which is why everyone that's ever seen a baseball in Pittsburgh is so fanatic about Mark Cuban. And why the rumor that Littlefield is being looked at by Boston (he's not, but a lot of people are praying for a miracle) is so popular in the Burgh. The owners have raised the payroll to $50 million for 2006 (up from low 30's), but the organization appears to be completely incapable of doing anything with that.

Kevin McClatchy is the "owner" of the Pirates but many Pirate fans think a gentleman named G Ogden Nutting, a part owner calls the financial shots. McClatchy's the one who assembled the current owners and is the managing general partner, but I believe the Nuttings have the largest share in the Pirates.

The Hill trade doesn't bother me much, as it's simply the inevitable close on the worst trade in franchise history. What will bother me is when Littlefield fails to sign anything the Pirates need for 2006 (like a 3B and RF that can hit and aren't, say, Lawton) and the losing season streak extends to what... the 13th year? 14th? I've lost count.

Oh, and DeCaster's probably coming up for 2006. Mackowiak's a nifty spare part, but they need to find something that actually, you know, works.

MUsoxfan
11-22-2005, 01:01 PM
many Pirate fans think a gentleman named G Ogden Nutting, a part owner calls the financial shots.

Wow. With a name like that he HAS to look like the Monopoly guy:wink:

PaulDrake
11-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Which is why everyone that's ever seen a baseball in Pittsburgh is so fanatic about Mark Cuban.

Mark Cuban is from Pittsburgh. Die hard Pirate fans, and there are fewer and fewer each year, desperately want someone with money and fire in his belly to own the Pirates. Cuban fills the bill, and he's a Pittsburgh guy to boot.

dropkick371
11-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Mark Cuban is from Pittsburgh. Die hard Pirate fans, and there are fewer and fewer each year, desperately want someone with money and fire in his belly to own the Pirates. Cuban fills the bill, and he's a Pittsburgh guy to boot.He's said he wouldn't move back to Pittsburgh if he bought the team (though he would spend more time there and has ridiculously rich friends that'd also like to get in on it), and it would just be beneficial overall to have an owner that didn't gut the team for profit, would take some kind of risk once in a while, and isn't Kevin McClatchy.

Or the Nuttings, of course.

StepsInSC
11-24-2005, 09:52 PM
It's weird thinking Cuban is from the Burgh, he doesn't have the signature Pitt-stache (or, "Wann-stache") that every native 'yinzer' in this town owns...

SOXintheBURGH
11-25-2005, 01:25 AM
It's weird thinking Cuban is from the Burgh, he doesn't have the signature Pitt-stache (or, "Wann-stache") that every native 'yinzer' in this town owns...

You're growing one right now and you don't even realize it.

MHOUSE
11-27-2005, 03:08 AM
I always want to try rooting for the Pirates too, but they're just so bad. I liked watching the Jose Mesa resurgence during the 2004 season as the shut down the Cubs everytime they met, but other than that there is very little to hope for.

They do have some stud young pitchers: Perez, Duke, Van Boeschen (spelling), Maholm, and Sean Burnett. Unfortunately I think all of them were hurt for some part of last year and Burnett and Van Boeschen for the season. I'd rather throw those five into the MLB rotation to learn (example: Jeremy Bonderman) than watch guys like Mark Redman pitch every fifth day.

Hangar18
11-27-2005, 05:00 PM
So basically the Cubs stole Ramirez from the Pirates and Bud let it happen. If they couldn't make payroll, MLB should have stepped in rather than allow Pittsburgh to give away their best player for absolutely ****ing nothing.

Hey wait a minute. I thought Bud "More coffee mr. reinsdorf?" Selig said if they got that new stadium, they would be able to "compete" ?! I also thought thats why baseball Expanded again, and the weak-sister franchises would use that windfall to help with expenses?

That "trade" was one of the most outrageously horrible trades in decades. The Pirates were desperate to unload (thats the only way the Cubs were going to get a real 3rd baseman-ripping off another team) him, and of course the Cubs were right there offering their worst players. The Pirates are a very DUMB franchise. May they lose 125 games this year. Better yet, FOLD THEM

Brian26
11-27-2005, 05:31 PM

I think that was around the same time the Reds were giving away players for free. Didn't they trade Boone to the Yankees for a bucket of balls? I remember Gammons was having a meltdown after that one.

Brian26
11-27-2005, 05:33 PM
The Pirates are a very DUMB franchise. May they lose 125 games this year. Better yet, FOLD THEM

Yet, they've been chosen to host the All-Star Game this year...only 12 years after the last All-Star Game in Pittsburgh.

SOXintheBURGH
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Yet, they've been chosen to host the All-Star Game this year...only 12 years after the last All-Star Game in Pittsburgh.

It's a hell of a town and a hell of a park.