PDA

View Full Version : Report - Kenji Johjima Signs with Mariners

Mr. White Sox
11-21-2005, 12:57 PM
LINK (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051121&content_id=1270895&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp)
Provided he plays well, they solve a huge need here.

This is most likely a 3-year, $15 million according to the deal, and Torrealba is now likely on the block.

bobowhite
11-21-2005, 01:04 PM
I've seen him play. He deserves to be a gold-glover although I wonder how well he'll adapt to hitting major league stuff and calling the games. His game calling was a little monodimensional and his hitting was a little more cripple-shooting than Iguchi's. Then again, I saw him play maybe seven games in person and probably twenty others televised.

santo=dorf
11-21-2005, 01:05 PM
But we gave them Olivo!!

Tekijawa
11-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Will there be a Translator on the mound? or will the Game be called from the Dugout? I think Catcher would be one of the Hardest positions to play with out being able to speak the language?!?!? Am I wrong? I know that there are a lot of pitcher and Catchers that can't speak English or Spanish, but at least those are Latin Based languages and have some similarities...

DumpJerry
11-21-2005, 03:53 PM
During ST this year, it was reported on here that KW mentioned that a major catcher from Japan wanted to come here next year and possibily play with Iguchi.

The responses ranged from "that is why AJ got a one year deal" to "it is very difficult for a catcher to adapt from Japanese style baseball to American style."

We'll wait and see what happens..........

DaleJRFan
11-21-2005, 04:43 PM
After this season, I'm not convinced that there is a better all-around catcher in the league other than AJ. He's got it all. Good with the press, on-field leader, high average (until 05) lefthanded bat with power and a tops defensive catcher who calls a great game...

Are there better catchers in the league? Where will Kenji fit in with them? Tough call. Jason Veritek? Ramon Hernandez? Victor Martinez? Javy Lopez? Jason Kendall? There are some pretty damn good catchers in the league. Sox are pretty fortunate to have nabbed AJ. For five million a year, Johjima had better plan on being pretty damn impressive.

Mr. White Sox
11-21-2005, 06:35 PM
For five million a year, Johjima had better plan on being pretty damn impressive.

Terms now stating that it's three years $16.5 million.

bobowhite
11-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Will there be a Translator on the mound? or will the Game be called from the Dugout? I think Catcher would be one of the Hardest positions to play with out being able to speak the language?!?!? Am I wrong? I know that there are a lot of pitcher and Catchers that can't speak English or Spanish, but at least those are Latin Based languages and have some similarities...

I believe Kenji speaks a certain amount of English.

Having played catcher were they don't speak English, I can tell you it is the one position where being able to talk to your manager, pitching coach and each of your pitchers is critical. I was lucky that for all but a handful of my games I had a manager who spoke excellent English but would only do so during one on one meetings we had before every series. We'd go to dinner, alone, then he'd speak English and make absolutely certain I'd picked up every nuance. On the field, I both babied and bullied my pitchers in Japanese, occasionally getting a snicker from some because of my poor grammar. Our on the mound conferences with the manager were all in Japanese. I always spoke to umpires in Japanese, even chiding the ones who started out by saying "I don't speak any English" (a typical phrase in Japan.) The few umpires who did speak excellent English often overheard my muttered complaints.

Tekijawa
11-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Bobo,

How long did it take you to adjust? Were there any other English speaking players on you team, Like Ichiro to Kenji? and do they even speak the same Dialect (Or is that only in Chinese)? I don't know much about over there. Also, I remember DJ talking about the Adjustment to the Style over there saying that pitchers threw more breaking balls as opposed to fastballs, I would imagine calling a Game here is a lot different from over there?

Thanx, Teki

Sorry if these are just stupid questions!:redface: