PDA

View Full Version : Steiner has interest in White Sox job

Fenway
11-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I had occasion to work at the Harvard/Yale game Saturday which was produced by WGN for their Boston and New York WB stations. Play by Play was done by Charlie Steiner and was able to talk to him for a few minutes.

His contract with the Dodgers allows him to leave if a #1 slot opens up and he said his agent has been talking to Infinity about both the White Sox and Mets radio jobs.

He talked about how working with Scully is "weird", as Vin works in his own private booth with not even an engineer with him.

He also confirmed that Infinity really wants Mike North involved in some way as they feel it will increase ratings for the morning show on WSCR and Infinity wants somebody like Piersall or Santo that they feel fans will listen to no matter what the score of the game is.

Said the White Sox job interests him because the team really has a chance to take Chicago back from the Cubs

Kogs35
11-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I had occasion to work at the Harvard/Yale game Saturday which was produced by WGN for their Boston and New York WB stations. Play by Play was done by Charlie Steiner and was able to talk to him for a few minutes.

His contract with the Dodgers allows him to leave if a #1 slot opens up and he said his agent has been talking to Infinity about both the White Sox and Mets radio jobs.

He talked about how working with Scully is "weird", as Vin works in his own private booth with not even an engineer with him.

He also confirmed that Infinity really wants Mike North involved in some way as they feel it will increase ratings for the morning show on WSCR and Infinity wants somebody like Piersall or Santo that they feel fans will listen to no matter what the score of the game is.

Said the White Sox job interests him because the team really has a chance to take Chicago back from the Cubs

Infinity are stupid morons, no sox fans care about mike north when will the stupid bozo's in ny relize this???? i really hope 670 sports format dies a horrible death so mike north and co have to learn spanish

Flight #24
11-21-2005, 09:57 AM

Nice to hear Carlie sees the opportunity with the Sox, but IMO anything involving Santo and/or North is something that I will NOT listen to no matter what the score of the game is......unless I have no other option. But the mere thought of Santo anywhere near the broadcast make me go "Noooooooooooooooooooo"

Fenway
11-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Infinity are stupid morons, no sox fans care about mike north when will the stupid bozo's in ny relize this???? i really hope 670 sports format dies a horrible death so mike north and co have to learn spanish

Another way to look at this. Infinity is trying to recoup some of the money they gave North in the first place. It is pretty sad when a local show in Chicago trails the ESPN show out of DC in AM drive.

North IMHO has tried to be the Chicago version of WIP Philadelphia's Angelo Cataldi or WEEI Boston's Glenn Ordway and he just doesn't compare to either.

I am actually surprised Infinity doesn't try Imus in the AM slot as the ratings would almost certainly have to improve over what North does.

In Boston Infinity takes over in 2007 from WEEI as they promised the Red Sox a FM signal and would be the flagship of NESN radio throughout New England. Entercom couldn't match the offer as they don't have a TV signal to carry the over the air games. But there will be a revolt in New England if they try to replace the current Red Sox radio voices.

Kogs35
11-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Another way to look at this. Infinity is trying to recoup some of the money they gave North in the first place. It is pretty sad when a local show in Chicago trails the ESPN show out of DC in AM drive.

North IMHO has tried to be the Chicago version of WIP Philadelphia's Angelo Cataldi or WEEI Boston's Glenn Ordway and he just doesn't compare to either.

I am actually surprised Infinity doesn't try Imus in the AM slot as the ratings would almost certainly have to improve over what North does.

In Boston Infinity takes over in 2007 from WEEI as they promised the Red Sox a FM signal and would be the flagship of NESN radio throughout New England. Entercom couldn't match the offer as they don't have a TV signal to carry the over the air games. But there will be a revolt in New England if they try to replace the current Red Sox radio voices.

North will never be Angelo Cataldi or Glenn Ordway, and if infinity thinks they can get there money out of north there going to be in for a big suprise. then more heads will role out there. espn morning show is out of briston btw.

mdep524
11-21-2005, 10:23 AM

Said the White Sox job interests him because the team really has a chance to take Chicago back from the Cubs This makes me sad. These guys really don't get it, do they? First they force out the best and most professional voice of Sox broadcasting, John Rooney. Then they decide they will ONLY replace him with a color guy (presumably because they work cheaper), eliminating intriguing options like Charlie Steiner. Then they insist that Mike North be involved with the coverage, despite his extremely low popularity among Sox fans.

The big wigs making these calls are so out of touch with the fans it is truly sad. :(: There is no regard AT ALL given to the fans and their opinions through any of this.

Fenway
11-21-2005, 10:24 AM
espn morning show is out of briston btw.

I thought it was DC :?: no biggie

North will never be Angelo Cataldi or Glenn Ordway

These 2 guys are the best I have heard.

Last Friday Ordway went after guest Harry Sinden in a way that was 30 years overdue.

Ordway " What have you ever won Harry? You won the Stanley Cup in 1970 because Bobby Orr was dropped in your lap and you beat the Russians in 1972 only because you had Bobby Clarke take out the best Russian player in Game 6 with a slash so bad that I am still amazed the KGB didn't lock Clarke up on the spot.

The game has passed you by Harry....but don't worry about the fans booing like they did last night...they will stop coming. But keep talking to Bill Wirtz, he knows as much hockey as you do."

slavko
11-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Am I reading this part right????

antitwins13
11-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Piersal???? Friggen sweet!!!!!!!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

peeonwrigley
11-21-2005, 10:41 AM
:thud:

Is Infinity this brain-dead? North's ratings in Chicago suck because his show just is not that interesting or entertaining. Moving him to the AM drive was a tragically uncalculated move.

Want to involve him in Sox coverage? Fine, have him dedicate an hour or two of his putrid morning show to talking about Sox games, talking w/ Farmer, etc. But to involve him with pre or post game (or God forbid.. the actual game) just sucks. Whats next, Mancow in the booth?

antitwins13
11-21-2005, 10:45 AM
:thud:

Whats next, Mancow in the booth?

Eddie and Jobo

Fenway
11-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Am I reading this part right????

Sadly there is the belief that people listen to Cubs games on WGN simply to hear Santo say something off the wall :?:

Rizzuto lasted 20 years in New York for that reason

I have some old tapes of Carey and Piersall from WBBM in 1981 ( I assume they did radio only when there was no TV ) Jimmy was the ultimate "loose cannon"

BTW what ever happen to Joe O'Connell? He wasn't that bad on play by play

TomBradley72
11-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Mike North and the White Sox is riight up there with that ridiculous DJ guy they had at the ballpark in the late 90's....WSCR is finding a way to actually screw up the radio team for the 1st World Champions in 88 years in the one of the countries largest markets.

cheeses_h_rice
11-21-2005, 10:54 AM

Can someone please explain to the powers that be at Infinity about the concept of "cutting your losses"?

Just because you've been stupid enough to give this man $1.5 million a year for one of the most annoying sports shows on the radio doesn't mean you have to keep throwing good money after bad.

North is such a polarizing figure that whatever new listeners it brings to his morning show will be offset by a lot of fans not tuning in because of his presence.

How sad is it that Chicago radio has as its premier "talent" a guy like North?

tebman
11-21-2005, 10:55 AM
This just underscores that the bosses at Infinity/WSCR are not interested in producing a quality broadcast of a World Champion team, but only in squeezing every dime they can out of an electronic billboard. They're not sports producers or broadcasters, they're salesmen who want only to move the merchandise.

Infinity's radio business was run for years under "Mel Karmazin's 'there's no such thing as sold out; just add inventory' business philosophy," which was a great quote from a media-planning board. By "inventory," he meant commercials, and by adding inventory, program content and quality are necessarily reduced. That philosophy obviously still carries the day.

The real shame is that in the face of this, the Sox are getting less money in the deal than they were getting from WMVP. I really hope the talk about North is just a rumor that doesn't pan out -- that would be a painful thing to listen to.

Fenway
11-21-2005, 11:10 AM
There big bucks to be made in good sports radio.

The buzz in the industry the past few days is what WEEI Boston pulled off in the fall book

This is simply staggering

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=35&RY=2005&RQ=4&MP=1&OTHER=2&MN=Boston&MS=MA&MR=9&12P=3878000&UP=11/17/2005&SU=CM&BPER=6.1&HPER=6.2&OPER=&NSD=12/15/2005&CE=0

The 2 Chicago sports stations just spinning wheels

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=53&RY=2005&RQ=4&MP=1&OTHER=2&MN=Chicago&MS=IL&MR=3&12P=7648900&UP=11/15/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&SU=CM&BPER=17.8&HPER=15.6&OPER=&NSD=12/13/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&CE=0

Tekijawa
11-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Piersol I would love! What if they Brought in both Piersol AND Santo!!! lol it'd be 3.5 hours of 2 old guys moaning and complaining! Bring in North as a 3rd and I'm pretty sure that they'd get to about 2 minutes of what is actually going on in the game before Bee and Licorish, Toupee's, how angry Piersol is at something taking over the rest of the broadcast... They'd be able to make some pretty sweet Saturday Night Live Skits about it though!

longshot7
11-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Last Friday Ordway went after guest Harry Sinden in a way that was 30 years overdue.

Ordway " What have you ever won Harry? You won the Stanley Cup in 1970 because Bobby Orr was dropped in your lap and you beat the Russians in 1972 only because you had Bobby Clarke take out the best Russian player in Game 6 with a slash so bad that I am still amazed the KGB didn't lock Clarke up on the spot.

The game has passed you by Harry....but don't worry about the fans booing like they did last night...they will stop coming. But keep talking to Bill Wirtz, he knows as much hockey as you do."

This is supposed to mean what to me?????? Who the hell is Harry Sinden and why should I care?

SouthSide_HitMen
11-21-2005, 11:50 AM

If the Score couldn't afford Rooney, they can't afford Steiner who probably makes Rooney money - Rooney St. Louis Cardinal money that is - for his radio work.

Lip Man 1
11-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Just my opinion but according to my sources Mike North will NOT be involved with White Sox game broadcasts. (by game I mean the actual game itself...) and Charlie Steiner (or any other play by play man) has zero chance of getting the White Sox job because it has already been promised to Farmer. Farmer might quit in a huff if they go back on their word to him.

Like with ESPN it's not about journalism anymore folks....it's about 'entertainment.' Again if you are upset about it let the folks at WSCR radio know you will simply not listen to their coverage and then let the advertisers know about it. It may be painful but with satellite radio and with the MLB audio package for your computer you can always follow the Sox without listening to the 'home' team.

Lip

slavko
11-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Sadly there is the belief that people listen to Cubs games on WGN simply to hear Santo say something off the wall :?:

Rizzuto lasted 20 years in New York for that reason

I have some old tapes of Carey and Piersall from WBBM in 1981 ( I assume they did radio only when there was no TV ) Jimmy was the ultimate "loose cannon"

Santo gives you lots of incoherent mumbling. That's not one of my big reasons to listen to radio. Your Joe McConnell comment is right on target. He was one of my favorites as well. He lost the Sox and Bears jobs at about the same time and I don't know why. He was the radio voice of Purdue University athletics the last time I heard about him.

doogiec
11-21-2005, 12:22 PM

I don't know if it was still the case in 1981, but for many years Harry and whoever his partner was at the time did TV for innings 1-3 and 7-9, and switched with the radio guys for the middle innings. The Cubs broadcasters did the same thing. Don't know why that died, I always liked it better that way, kind of broke up the game with some different voices and opinions.

AZSoxFAN
11-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Who could listen to Mike North do a ball game more than a couple of times. I sometimes listen to the SCORE on their website, and listening to North is like water torture. He 's like a broken record - if you close your eyes it could be 1997. :mad:

Dolanski
11-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Steiner! Where Steiner at? Steiner, come get your whoopin'!

I love that ESPN commercial with Holyfield. Steiner ain't that bad, although, I always found him to be a bit of a Yankee rooter...

JayBeast
11-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Mike North did a pretty good job allongside Tom Dore doing the Rush games, but I think Mike North already knows his role is to relieve Sox fans of having to listen to George Offerman doing Pre or Post game interviews. No Sox fan wants to hear that. So hopefully that's Mike Norths role...and I think it is.

Steiner or Steve Stone would bring instant credibility to the Score's broadcast... I hope the take that next step to bring the Champs a first class radio team.
A no-name or recent ex-jock would be a HUGE dissapointment to all.

PaulDrake
11-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Mike North did a pretty good job allongside Tom Dore doing the Rush games, but I think Mike North already knows his role is to relieve Sox fans of having to listen to George Offerman doing Pre or Post game interviews. No Sox fan wants to hear that. So hopefully that's Mike Norths role...and I think it is.

I hope he has no role at all. If he is involved in any way, I won't listen. Today there are options and I will use one of them.

Stroker Ace
11-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Nice to hear Carlie sees the opportunity with the Sox, but IMO anything involving Santo and/or North is something that I will NOT listen to no matter what the score of the game is......unless I have no other option. But the mere thought of Santo anywhere near the broadcast make me go "Noooooooooooooooooooo"If my only choice is to listen to North or Santo, I'll get the score in the morning paper.

hose
11-21-2005, 04:44 PM
If the Score is intent on pushing North down Sox fan's throat in a pre or post game show I would at least expect North to get up to speed on our Sox.

Calling Buehrle a "bottom feeder" is just plain ignorant.

ig-no-rant (adj.) 1.lacking knowledge or experience . 2.caused by or showing lack of knowledge. 3.unaware

buehrle4cy05
11-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I hope we don't make the playoffs again so I won't have to make the choice between Berman/Buck/McCarver and North.

Erik The Red
11-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Charlie Steiner (or any other play by play man) has zero chance of getting the White Sox job because it has already been promised to Farmer. Farmer might quit in a huff if they go back on their word to him.
I fail to see a problem with this. Farmer is terrible.

Lip Man 1
11-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Or how about North saying on Chicago Tribune Live! that all the Sox needed to do was win 'one game' at the end of the 1967 season to win the pennant.

What an absolute doofus. I've forgotten more about White Sox history then he'll ever know.

Lip

SOX LA Mikey
11-22-2005, 03:01 AM
I've had a year of Charlie Steiner out here in LA
and can honestly say 'He Sucks' he's doing west
coast games yet he's still an east coast homer.
-hope he stays with
the Dodgers and doesn't foul up the Sox broadcasts
now that I have my free XM roadie from WS game 1

Fenway
11-22-2005, 09:47 AM
This is supposed to mean what to me?????? Who the hell is Harry Sinden and why should I care?

Problem with Chicago sports radio is that nobody would go after an owner or team bigwig like Ordway went after Sinden.

The biggest stink about the Cubs I heard on either station was when Jeff Gordon called the place Wrigley Stadium.

Look JR thought he was blindsided on Opening Day when he was asked some Bulls coaching questions and huffed "I hope you enjoyed the interview because it won't happen again." I think the main reason the White Sox moved to WSCR was that interview. Compare this to Met's owner Fred Wilpon getting destroyed by Mike and Mad Dog on WFAN.

I almost threw up last February when WSCR fawned all over Bill Wirtz. But it seems like the Chicago media overall is afraid to go after owners.

I can't explain how WEEI has become the #1 station in the Boston market knocking off WBZ but part of it is pouring gasoline on the fire when something breaks. You just don't see that in Chicago.

Flight #24
11-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Look JR thought he was blindsided on Opening Day when he was asked some Bulls coaching questions and huffed "I hope you enjoyed the interview because it won't happen again." I think the main reason the White Sox moved to WSCR was that interview. Compare this to Met's owner Fred Wilpon getting destroyed by Mike and Mad Dog on WFAN.

Actually, the ESPN-Sox relationship went through a lot or turmoil. The Director at AM1000 was supposedly very unhappy with the contract and the Sox refusal to renegotiate it after MJ left. They put Mariotti on air, and let him continue to slander the Sox & JR despite repeated requests to censor him. Only when his ratings were absolutely horrendous did he get taken off the air. The "bite of the apple" interview was another, smaller brick. The biggest one, IMO was quite simply that WSCR put up more money.

32nd&Wallace
11-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Actually, the ESPN-Sox relationship went through a lot or turmoil. The Director at AM1000 was supposedly very unhappy with the contract and the Sox refusal to renegotiate it after MJ left. They put Mariotti on air, and let him continue to slander the Sox & JR despite repeated requests to censor him. Only when his ratings were absolutely horrendous did he get taken off the air. The "bite of the apple" interview was another, smaller brick. The biggest one, IMO was quite simply that WSCR put up more money.I don't think the Carmen and Silvy interview was a big of a deal as it seemed at the time. There was a genuine misunderstanding between all the parties and I think JR and Carmen DiFalco made amends. Carmen did PBP for a Saturday national game when Gene Honda's dad died.

AZChiSoxFan
11-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Steiner! Where Steiner at? Steiner, come get your whoopin'!

I love that ESPN commercial with Holyfield.

That was a funny one..

Dan Patrick: "and then Charlie says that you're the 50th best fighter"

Holyfield: "in the world?!?!?!?!"

Dan Patrick: "In Georgia!!"

ChiSoxRowand
11-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Actually, the ESPN-Sox relationship went through a lot or turmoil. The Director at AM1000 was supposedly very unhappy with the contract and the Sox refusal to renegotiate it after MJ left. They put Mariotti on air, and let him continue to slander the Sox & JR despite repeated requests to censor him. Only when his ratings were absolutely horrendous did he get taken off the air. The "bite of the apple" interview was another, smaller brick. The biggest one, IMO was quite simply that WSCR put up more money.

IMO the reason the Sox went to WSCR is because of the signal.

tebman
11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
IMO the reason the Sox went to WSCR is because of the signal.
Maybe, but it's a cinch that the biggest part of the decision was the money. I made a crack one time that JR would have the Sox games on CB radio if the money was right, and it looks like that's just about what happened in St. Louis. The Cardinals changed from big-signal KMOX, where they'd been for more than 50 years, to KTRS, a station with a much smaller signal. The difference was the money and the deal that the owners of KTRS put together.

Show me the money, etc.

alaforniajones
11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Problem with Chicago sports radio is that nobody would go after an owner or team bigwig like Ordway went after Sinden.

The biggest stink about the Cubs I heard on either station was when Jeff Gordon called the place Wrigley Stadium.

I almost threw up last February when WSCR fawned all over Bill Wirtz. But it seems like the Chicago media overall is afraid to go after owners.

I can't explain how WEEI has become the #1 station in the Boston market knocking off WBZ but part of it is pouring gasoline on the fire when something breaks. You just don't see that in Chicago.

You're missing the point: Nobody in Chicago cares about Boston or east coast radio or hockey. The sports radio guys on the east coast are bigger pricks? You must be in the media if you think this matters.

Shift
11-22-2005, 02:08 PM

McConnell is doing Purdue football. I think he is pure play-by-play. I'm not sure that his name would come up for a color slot.

mike squires
11-23-2005, 12:08 AM

McConnell is doing Purdue football. I think he is pure play-by-play. I'm not sure that his name would come up for a color slot.

I had a thread on this awhile back asking what happened to him and why he left. He is from only minutes from where I grew up. I loved Joe's calls and plaay by play. I doubt if he'd be interested. I think he has moved on and he's gotta be getting up there in age.