PDA

View Full Version : Blalock to play first?

JUribe1989
11-20-2005, 04:25 PM
There is a story on www.mlbtraderumors.com that says if Blalock gets traded to the Marlins, they will then ship him immediately to another team. The rumor is that he could come to the Sox to play first base. I don't know the credibilty of that web site, but I love Hank Blalock and think he would be a perfect fit for the team if Konerko can't be re-signed. He is a great 3B, but we would have to see how much it would take to make the switch from 3B to 1B. He only made 11 errors in 2005 with a fielding percentage of .973.

What kind of a package would Florida want for Blalock?

Thoughts?

santo=dorf
11-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Thoughts?

You really need to quit wasting your time on a site called "MLB Trade Rumors." I just clicked that link and the first story I saw was "Mark Buehrle To The Cardinals?
Disclaimer: this one is pure speculation."
:rolleyes:

Why do you want Blalock? He is a pure product of the Ballpark in Arlington. Look at his splits. :puking:

JUribe1989
11-20-2005, 04:33 PM
You really need to quit wasting your time on a site called "MLB Trade Rumors." I just clicked that link and the first story I saw was "Mark Buehrle To The Cardinals?

Why do you want Blalock? He is a pure product of the Ballpark in Arlington. Look at his splits. :puking:

If Konerko doesn't re-sign with the Sox I just don't see Thome coming here and I don't really see many options for 1B to acquire.

santo=dorf
11-20-2005, 04:38 PM
I just don't see Thome coming here
Why?

According to USA Today the Sox are interested in bringing him here and a story in one of today's papers in Philly said Thome would only waive his no trade clause to go to Cleveland or Chicago (AL.)

Thome also has a no-trade clause, meaning he must OK any deal.

It would have to be an American League team, where he could be a designated hitter in addition to a first baseman.

It would have to be to a team with a chance of winning, because his championship desires are as strong as ever.

And, it probably has to be to a city close to his Midwest roots. He grew up in Illinois and has an off-season home outside of Cleveland.

"I can't pinpoint a team yet," Thome said. "But it would have to be close to home. Cleveland would be a place. Would it be the only place? No. Chicago would be there."

Jjav829
11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
:puking: Blalock :puking:

Pass. Like I said the other day; He doesn't hit lefties. He doesn't hit away from Ameriquest. He doesn't hit in the second half. The trifecta! :?:

nodiggity59
11-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Why?

According to USA Today the Sox are interested in bringing him here and a story in one of today's papers in Philly said Thome would only waive his no trade clause to go to Cleveland or Chicago (AL.)

Blalock is very over rated but he still is a good player and he'll make only about $14mil over 2 years. It wouldn't be ideal to pick him up, but if the Sox got him and Konerko/Thome/Delgado/Helton/Giles, it wouldn't be so bad.

Frater Perdurabo
11-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Although it's a rumour, I'd love Blalock on the Sox. I've watched him first hand in Texas. Very underrated, although he needs to hit better on the road. (He's been decent at the Cell, though, including the game-winner in the 2003 All-Star game.) He has decent power, hits for decent average, bats left-handed and has a great glove. The Sox would have Gold Glove-quality defense at both corners of the infield with Crede and Blalock. I don't think he's a 3 or 4 hitter, but still could develop into that.

I would think the Marlins would want a lot for him, perhaps McCarthy, along with Rowand and Marte. If I were the Sox, then, I'd inquire about Delgado's availability (since the Marlins want to cut salary) and offer Crede. Perhaps they also would include Pierre in exchange for another pitching prospect like Gio or Broadway.

Perhaps Crede, Rowand, Marte, Gio and McCarthy for Pierre, Blalock and Delgado?

Imagine a lineup of Pods (LF/DH), Pierre (LF/DH), Delgado (1B), Dye (RF), Blalock (3B), Iguchi (2B), AJ (C), Uribe (SS), Anderson (CF)

nodiggity59
11-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Although it's a rumour, I'd love Blalock on the Sox. I've watched him first hand in Texas. Very underrated, although he needs to hit better on the road. (He's been decent at the Cell, though, including the game-winner in the 2003 All-Star game.) He has decent power, hits for decent average, bats left-handed and has a great glove. The Sox would have Gold Glove-quality defense at both corners of the infield with Crede and Blalock. I don't think he's a 3 or 4 hitter, but still could develop into that.

I would think the Marlins would want a lot for him, perhaps McCarthy, along with Rowand and Marte. If I were the Sox, then, I'd inquire about Delgado's availability (since the Marlins want to cut salary) and offer Crede. Perhaps they also would include Pierre in exchange for another pitching prospect like Gio or Broadway.

Perhaps Crede, Rowand, Marte, Gio and McCarthy for Pierre, Blalock and Delgado?

Imagine a lineup of Pods (LF/DH), Pierre (LF/DH), Delgado (1B), Dye (RF), Blalock (3B), Iguchi (2B), AJ (C), Uribe (SS), Anderson (CF)

Blalock, Pierre, and Delgado will cost about $25mil this year. That's a **** ton of cash. If we were to take that much salary, Crede and BMac would not be included.

MadetoOrta
11-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Why do we continue to fall back on the pre-2005 World Championship thinking that we need to put an All-Star team out there to win a championship? We won because of PITCHING, SPEED AND DEFENSE. We don't need a Murderers Row line-up and we certainly don't need to EVEN CONTEMPLATE trading Brandon McCarthy. Juan Pierre? I like him because of the speed factor. Blaylock? Does little for me.

MarySwiss
11-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Why do we continue to fall back on the pre-2005 World Championship thinking that we need to put an All-Star team out there to win a championship? We won because of PITCHING, SPEED AND DEFENSE. We don't need a Murderers Row line-up and we certainly don't need to EVEN CONTEMPLATE trading Brandon McCarthy. Juan Pierre? I like him because of the speed factor. Blaylock? Does little for me.

THANK YOU! :smile:

nodiggity59
11-20-2005, 05:54 PM

Agreed in principle, but if we resign Paulie, I'd like to trade for Blalock more than anyone else for a number of reasons:

1. Younger
2. Cheaper
3. 3B insurance if Crede cannot recover from his back problems
4. Won't cost as much in a deal as Delgado.

We could acquire Blalock for only 1 major peice of the team (Rowand or Marte) plus prospects. Then we only lose Carl and the stated trading chip. Also, this deal does not hamstring us financially going into the trading deadline at midseason.

Craig Grebeck
11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I also think Blalock would be a waste of time, but please don't act like the addition of Juan Pierre would have a more positive effect on the team than a patient power hitting outfielder.

Frater Perdurabo
11-20-2005, 06:32 PM

My admittedly deepppink lineup above features much more speed than the 2005 version (Pierre instead of Iguchi batting second), equally good defense (Anderson being as good and as fast, if not better/faster, than Rowand in CF, and Blalock being just as good as Crede at third, which are more important defensive positions than 1B, where Delgado would replace Konerko, an admittedly marginal decline defensively) and still keeps the AL's best 2005 rotation intact. So, in addition to being faster (which Ozzie says he wants), just as good defensively, and returning the same starting rotation, my deeppink scenario White Sox have a significantly stronger and more balanced lineup. All the Sox would need at that point would be a second bullpen lefty to replace Marte.

nodiggity59
11-20-2005, 06:54 PM
My admittedly deepppink lineup above features much more speed than the 2005 version (Pierre instead of Iguchi batting second), equally good defense (Anderson being as good and as fast, if not better/faster, than Rowand in CF, and Blalock being just as good as Crede at third, which are more important defensive positions than 1B, where Delgado would replace Konerko, an admittedly marginal decline defensively) and still keeps the AL's best 2005 rotation intact. So, in addition to being faster (which Ozzie says he wants), just as good defensively, and returning the same starting rotation, my deeppink scenario White Sox have a significantly stronger and more balanced lineup. All the Sox would need at that point would be a second bullpen lefty to replace Marte.

Though if someone disagrees with Ozzie, then this is a bad idea. Frankly, I like Iguchi in the 2 spot. He handles the bat well, has decent speed, and good pop for the 2 hole. I think by simply adding a Blalock, signing Paulie and otherwise standing pat (maybe Brian Anderson replaces Rowand in the deal for Blalock), we'll be just fine.

KRS1
11-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Please, these kind of sites purpose is to make up totally nonsecical BS so they get a bunch of hits to keep running. Just and absolute laugher looking at some of those articles.

Professor
11-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I think the authors of this rumor are the same people who designed the 'new sox uniforms' being discussed in this thread:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62493

chaerulez
11-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Did you see the "reasons" that stupid Cardinal fan has that a Burhele trade would go down. They were that Reinsdorf won't pay Burhele money and that he's also known for "blowing up" teams. If this "fan" has the best known Cardinals blog, I'd like to see what the intelligence of the rest of the fan base is like...

DaleJRFan
11-20-2005, 09:05 PM
hopefully instead of flipping Blalock to the Sox, the Marlins "dump" or "unload" Delgado to the Sox and then move Blalock to first... If the Sox have to settle for trading with FLA for a DH/1B, go get Delgado. He's way better than Blalock. :cool:

Domeshot17
11-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by MadetoOrta

While I agree we do not trade Bmac, the team needs to be improved. In 2006, with that Cleveland team matured and probably improved, We can not afford for a complete offensive collapse in august again. Last year Kenny did the best he could with the money he had. We have no heart of the order right now. If you think you can keep winning without Power in the middle of the lineup, you are completely wrong. Frank is not healthy and can't be an everyday DH. The 1b position is open. So if this team can afford to push payroll another 15 million from last year to make it even better, then do it.

I understand being upset about dealing Bmac, I would not do it either. But does pierre really help the team that much? It kills the defense aspect of the team, For a team that prides itself on D, Pierre in and Rowand out makes us one of just another average Of defensively, and even worse, an OF that may not hit 30 home runs, COMBINED.
So if you have that problem, then yes, you need to go get a great 1b offensively and a great DH.

I mean, this is the all speed/defense team, and it probably wouldnt win 90 games
1 RF Ichiro
2 2b Castillo
3 CF Torri Hunter
4 SS Furcal
5 1b Erstad
6 C Y. Molina
7 3b Figgins
8 DH Pierre
9 LF Pods

Put Pierre in CF, and you look at a team with 3 above average defenders, so whipe out defensive pride. Now you add more speed, but speed doesnt do much if no one drives um in. You want to cut D and Add Speed, you need to add RBI hitters too. Speed is like the bread, its essential, but all it is is bread without the meat.

Tragg
11-20-2005, 10:43 PM
What kind of a package would Florida want for Blalock?

Thoughts?

How about we not put together a package for a player who hit FIVE road homers last year and fades in the 2nd half each year and who checked in with a .326 OBP.

Why are we always linked with ballplayers like this?

Tragg
11-20-2005, 10:48 PM
I agree - contemplating trading McCarthy is absolute insanity - we have 4 pitchers up for contract, and we have one cheap - we need to keep him.

We were 4th in the league in home runs, and won 2 world series games directly via home runs. We also won 2 games against Boston directly via the home run (and that doesn't include the game 1 blowout).

Absent Konerko, we are 40 home runs (absent Konerko) and speed simply cannot make that up. Don't need all-stars (but it's not like Hank is an all star quality player - he isn't) but we need legitimate major league hitters.