PDA

View Full Version : BoSox Affiliate & Shoeless Joe

DaleJRFan
11-20-2005, 04:46 AM
From a Baseball America Q/A...

Here in Greenville, we have just learned that the Red Sox' local low Class A affiliate will be named the Greenville Drive. This is after the initial nickname, the Greenville Joes (in honor of native son Shoeless Joe Jackson) was denied by Major League Baseball. Can you confirm that? Apparently as long as Jackson is on the ineligible list, Greenville can't name its team after him. Sounds like a reach to me. I thought "Greenville Joes" sounded pretty good.

Jim Guza
Greenville, S.C.
Jim is correct. The Joes nickname was by far the most popular of those tested by Greenville, which settled on the name Drive instead. But Minor League Baseball, not Major League Baseball, shot down the team name because Jackson is on baseball's permanent ineligible list.

That would have been a cool nickname, and a marketing bonanza as well. But I can see Minor League Baseball's point. If Jackson is banned, why should a team honor him with its nickname? And before I get barraged by emails proclaiming Jackson's innocence, the bottom line is that he's banned. Buck Weaver deserves reinstatement before Jackson does.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba.html

That woulda been kinda cool... :(:

ShoelessJoeS
11-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Great idea, what a shame though. Jackson needs to be honored by baseball, oh well.

bobowhite
11-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I think this one is a stretch. I mean, the Dodgers long-time AAA farm team was the Albuquerque Dukes named after a Spanish nobleman who never even saw baseball. I'm still waiting for my favorite Rotissere team name to come into existence, the Newport Gnus.