PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Compensation Question...

Tragg
11-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm looking over the classification of free agents, and some of them are just laughable (Dotel and Julian Taveras class A free agents; Frank, Milwood are class B ballplayers) ; it seems that some of them aren't worth the compensation. So what happens if the team offers arbitration, it's turned down, but no one signs the player because they aren't worth the compensation? They just go unsigned? Is there some sort of time limit? Thanks

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba.html

bobowhite
11-21-2005, 08:59 AM
I don't know of any team that would consider the compensation when signing free agents. Losing a draft pick, even a sandwich pick, is such a small loss in comparison to the contribution of an A free agent. The Yankee$ always sign FAs and their farm system doesn't seem barren of talent (any more than any other badly run farm system.)

Randar68
11-21-2005, 09:13 AM
I don't know of any team that would consider the compensation when signing free agents. Losing a draft pick, even a sandwich pick, is such a small loss in comparison to the contribution of an A free agent. The Yankee$ always sign FAs and their farm system doesn't seem barren of talent (any more than any other badly run farm system.)

1) it is definitely considered for the non-elite players. Many teams will wait to sign those players until after the arbitration deadline. If their current teams do not offer arbitration, they are due no compensation. No team is going to be dumb enough to give up a 1st or second rounder to sign Julian Tavarez.

2) The Yankees system is almost entirely bereft of talent. The only thing that ever saves them is the fact that they sign a TON of Latin players because they have a near unlimited player development budget.

3) A team cannot LOSE a sandwich pick. Those are awarded by MLB, those picks are not owned by anyone priot to being awarded.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-21-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm looking over the classification of free agents, and some of them are just laughable (Dotel and Julian Taveras class A free agents; Frank, Milwood are class B ballplayers) ; it seems that some of them aren't worth the compensation. So what happens if the team offers arbitration, it's turned down, but no one signs the player because they aren't worth the compensation? They just go unsigned? Is there some sort of time limit? Thanks

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba.html

If you read further down the article you linked if the team offers arbitration and it is turned down (or not accepted) by December 18 the player would no longer require compensation if signed by another team.

If a player rejects arbitration, he has 3 weeks after the deadline to sign with any team including his former team. After that, he cannot sign with his former team until May 1 but can sign with any other team.

Flight #24
11-21-2005, 10:38 AM
If you read further down the article you linked if the team offers arbitration and it is turned down (or not accepted) by December 18 the player would no longer require compensation if signed by another team.

I don't believe that is true. If the team offers arb and is declined by the player, they are due the comp pick (if warranted). If the player accepts arb, then there's no FA and no pick. If the team declines offering arb, they do not get the comp pick.

itsnotrequired
11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
I don't believe that is true. If the team offers arb and is declined by the player, they are due the comp pick (if warranted). If the player accepts arb, then there's no FA and no pick. If the team declines offering arb, they do not get the comp pick.

That is my understanding as well.

Randar68
11-21-2005, 10:55 AM

bingo.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-21-2005, 11:20 AM

You are correct - thanks for correcting. I misread the sentence further down. I was correct except for the part about a player declining arbitration. A team would get compensation as long as they offered Arbitration by December 7 or if said player signed with another club before then.

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Page 68 Document (Page 79 Adobe):

If the Player does not accept the former Club’s offer to proceed

to salary arbitration as provided above, the former Club, after the
succeeding January 8, shall not be entitled and shall lose all rights
to negotiate with or sign the Player, until the succeeding May 1.

(4) Compensation

(a) The former Club of a Player who: (i) became a free agent under this Section B; and (ii) ranks as a Type A, B or C Player asdefined below, shall be entitled to receive compensation subject to the provisions of subparagraph (c) below. Such compensation shall consist solely of the amateur draft choices described in subparagraph (c) below and shall be awarded in the Major League Rule 4 Draft succeeding the Player’s election of free agency.

(c) A Type A, B or C Player shall be subject to compensation

only if (i) he is offered salary arbitration by his former Club on or

before December 7 pursuant to Section B(3) of this Article XX and

signs a contract with another Club; or (ii) he signs a contract with

another Club prior to December 7.