PDA

View Full Version : Today's wacky idea: trade Dye

julio-cruz
11-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Yes, we know he won the MVP. But I would really be curious if he has any interest in going back to the west coast (where he still lives- Arizona). You never know. I know he took less money to play with us, but he already got what he wanted: world series ring, MVP,etc. This is the time when a lot of these veteran players (Konerko) want to play near their home.
Another point: he is prone to the DL. Plus his average with runners in scoring position is really bad. The Sox were extremely lucky that he stayed healthy all year. Basically, we caught lightning in a bottle...everything went our way this year. Things like this very rarely repeat themselves.
Just something to think about. Plus, he could probably shoot more episodes of Cribs: win, win situation.

gr8mexico
11-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes I really agree with this.

caulfield12
11-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Yes, we know he won the MVP. But I would really be curious if he has any interest in going back to the west coast (where he still lives- Arizona). You never know. I know he took less money to play with us, but he already got what he wanted: world series ring, MVP,etc. This is the time when a lot of these veteran players (Konerko) want to play near their home.
Another point: he is prone to the DL. Plus his average with runners in scoring position is really bad. The Sox were extremely lucky that he stayed healthy all year. Basically, we caught lightning in a bottle...everything went our way this year. Things like this very rarely repeat themselves.
Just something to think about. Plus, he could probably shoot more episodes of Cribs: win, win situation.

If you trade Dye, we are looking at acquiring three hitters instead of two, and the market is going to be shrinking and shrinking as each signing is announced.

Who do you plan on batting 3, 4, 5 next season? Who do you imagine them trading for that would provide the same production at $5 million or less per season?

Dye might not have as many homers next season, but I think he can increase his RBI total. He is a great clubhouse presence and one of the calm, quiet leaders of this team. Look at how many playoff and WS teams he has played for.

Erik The Red
11-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Yes, we know he won the MVP.
:tealpolice:

julio-cruz
11-19-2005, 11:29 AM
The point that I forgot to post was I'd rather trade him than Rowand. Rowand has got a consistently higher average, he's younger, a grinder!... unfortunately not a better arm. So I think it may be too soon to let go of Rowand. He is one of the yahoos that symbolize the Sox:wink:! Plus, why can't Rowand play CF/RF and DH?! Anderson is more of a natural centerfielder. Plus, I really think it would really depress Kenny W. to trade Aaron; because I think Kenny sees a lot of himself in Aaron!:cool:
It seems that it would be less detrimental to the team chemistry to remove Dye. Yes, he is a veteran leader, but Rowand will soon be in that role; if he isn't already. The quiet leadership argument only goes so far...
What we really need is a number 2 hitter: possibly a player like Cintron from ARIZONA. Basically need more diverse bats in the lineup. Don't be surprised if Kenny goes under the radar fwith a wierd move like this. It's what makes him the undervalued G.M. he is.
Also, I wouldn't worry about the 4 hitter, regardless if Konerko re-signs: you know it's gonna be someone good: Thome, Helton or Delgado. Kenny very rarely disappoints the fans.:cool:

munchman33
11-19-2005, 12:00 PM
If you're gonna sign a bat to replace Dye, like a Brian Giles, then okay. But otherwise no.

And honestly, I'd rather have Dye at $5 million than Giles at $12 million.

caulfield12
11-19-2005, 12:07 PM
The point that I forgot to post was I'd rather trade him than Rowand. Rowand has got a consistently higher average, he's younger, a grinder!... unfortunately not a better arm. So I think it may be too soon to let go of Rowand. He is one of the yahoos that symbolize the Sox:wink:! Plus, why can't Rowand play CF/RF and DH?! Anderson is more of a natural centerfielder. Plus, I really think it would really depress Kenny W. to trade Aaron; because I think Kenny sees a lot of himself in Aaron!:cool:
It seems that it would be less detrimental to the team chemistry to remove Dye. Yes, he is a veteran leader, but Rowand will soon be in that role; if he isn't already. The quiet leadership argument only goes so far...
What we really need is a number 2 hitter: possibly a player like Cintron from ARIZONA. Basically need more diverse bats in the lineup. Don't be surprised if Kenny goes under the radar fwith a wierd move like this. It's what makes him the undervalued G.M. he is.
Also, I wouldn't worry about the 4 hitter, regardless if Konerko re-signs: you know it's gonna be someone good: Thome, Helton or Delgado. Kenny very rarely disappoints the fans.:cool:

We won the WS championship, it is not as if we are desperate to change things...if we can improve, KW will make the move.

Average in Rowands case has very little to do with production. Juan Uribe was arguably more productive...we won with very few high average hitters.

We only have Rowand for two more years, he is no longer cheap, and he is just as likely as Dye to get injured by his reckless style of play.

I do not think KW sees himself in Rowand....more likely Chris Young or Anderson, who are more similar athletes with raw baseball skills.

Anderson is better suited for RF than CF...he could be a very good rightfielder, but only an above average CF.

Alex Cintron is no longer viewed by many to be an everyday player, and he doesnt play OF. Are we going to DH him?

Finally, KW has made plenty of moves that have disappointed fans.
Durham for Adkins
Foulke for Koch (Cotts was unknown at time)
Ritchie for Kip Wells, Fogg and Lowe
acquiring Roberto Alomar
trading James Baldwin for Onan Masaoka and the wrong player
acquiring Jose Paniagua
acquiring Royce Clayton and moving Valentin to CF-3B
keeping Manuel as manager

julio-cruz
11-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Kenny Williams has made moves that disappointed fans. However, at the time they were logical... and they created great excitement/interest from the fans. Billy Koch was coming out of a season where he won the Rolaids relief award and still threw 100mph. Kip Wells, and Josh Fogg were suspects/prospects. And they went on to become really good below .500 pitchers. Oh, you forgot to mention the David Wells deal too. You know, the one where the guy that we traded never pitched again!:cool:
Just having some fun!
Anywas, Jermaine should be traded though! Aaron symbolizes more of what the White Sox represent than Jermaine. And Aaron's injuries occur because he is aggressive, Jermaine's occur because he is as fragile as a glass...look at his thumb injury with the A's when he was playing the outfield!Face it, we lucked out.

PAPChiSox729
11-20-2005, 09:25 AM
really good below .500 pitchers. Oh, you forgot to mention the David Wells deal too.

:tealtutor:

Seriously, this is your second offense... in the same thread too!

julio-cruz
11-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I just noticed a slightly more direct 'warning' in another thread. I thought that 'Eric the Red' was P.O.'d concerning my sarcasm about Dye winning the MVP . i.e. my thought being Due was just a cog in the machine.
Thanks! :D:

TDog
11-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Talk about trading Dye misses the point. The Sox won the World Series last year because they had superior pitching and often superior defense. But they also had players who came together and played to win. Dye was a big part of that. AJ was a big part of that. Rowand and Crede were big parts of that.

I'm not saying the 2006 Sox could win it all without any changes to the roster. I am saying that the 2005 Sox had a character that contributed to the team's success. I'd like to see that character return in 2006.

johnny_mostil
11-20-2005, 02:46 PM
I do not think KW sees himself in Rowand....more likely Chris Young or Anderson, who are more similar athletes with raw baseball skills.

Chris Young isn't raw at all. He walks a lot. He does everything but hit singles.

caulfield12
11-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Kenny Williams has made moves that disappointed fans. However, at the time they were logical... and they created great excitement/interest from the fans. Billy Koch was coming out of a season where he won the Rolaids relief award and still threw 100mph. Kip Wells, and Josh Fogg were suspects/prospects. And they went on to become really good below .500 pitchers. Oh, you forgot to mention the David Wells deal too. You know, the one where the guy that we traded never pitched again!:cool:
Just having some fun!
Anywas, Jermaine should be traded though! Aaron symbolizes more of what the White Sox represent than Jermaine. And Aaron's injuries occur because he is aggressive, Jermaine's occur because he is as fragile as a glass...look at his thumb injury with the A's when he was playing the outfield!Face it, we lucked out.

Koch was seriously overused by Art Howe that season and there were reports his velocity was 92-95 in the playoffs throughout baseball. KW wanted to get rid of Foulke, who gave up the closer´s job but pitched well down the stretch, and gambled big-time on Koch rebounding.

Kip Wells struggled after his rookie season, but the biggest problem was that Wells or Fogg would have made much better fifth starters than anyone we had in that role for four years. Wells was a number one pick and there are still some in baseball that regard him in the same way as AJ Burnett or Esteban Loaiza when he was with the Pirates...or Contreras, for that matter. He has all the talent and ability in the world, but something is missing.

Wells or Fogg would have been at least .500 pitchers, see Garland, Jon, if they were paired with the dominating Sox offenses of 2001-04.

D. TODD
11-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Dye is going nowhere. Rowand has a chance to be dealt, but J.D. is going nowhere.

bobowhite
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Dye is going nowhere. Rowand has a chance to be dealt, but J.D. is going nowhere.

I concur. JD had an injury-free season more because of Herm Schneider than because of anything else. It wasn't lightning in a bottle or luck.

doublem23
11-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Dye lead all American League outfielders in home runs and he's getting paid like $5 million.

I can't see an offer coming along that makes sense until Milwaukee wants to part with Fielder, Weeks, Overbay, and maybe Sheets or Lee. :rolleyes:

asindc
11-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Dye lead all American League outfielders in home runs and he's getting paid like $5 million.

Actually, he led all major league RIGHT fielders in HRs. Some guy named Manny led AL outfielders in HRs.

asindc
11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Talk about trading Dye misses the point. The Sox won the World Series last year because they had superior pitching and often superior defense. But they also had players who came together and played to win. Dye was a big part of that. AJ was a big part of that. Rowand and Crede were big parts of that.

I'm not saying the 2006 Sox could win it all without any changes to the roster. I am saying that the 2005 Sox had a character that contributed to the team's success. I'd like to see that character return in 2006.

Amen to this! Team chemistry played a huge part in the Sox success this year! Witness the greeting Crazy Carl got for laying down a sacrifice bunt in the playoffs. Fans of other teams noticed the difference. Let's not lose sight here.