PDA

View Full Version : Cards de-prioritize Giles

Flight #24
11-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Per Rotoworld, so FWIW:

Brian Giles (http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=5543) - OF - Padres (http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?sport=MLB&majteam=SD)

The Cardinals, originally expected to be one of the top bidders for Brian Giles, have told the outfielder's agent that they are now focused on pitching.
Perhaps they'll get back into the race for Giles if they fail to land A.J. Burnett. If they do sign a quality pitcher, then they could trade Jason Marquis for an outfielder. Nov. 19 - 12:30 am et

Looks like Brian's supposed preferred destination is no longer an option. NYY will be in the game, possibly BOS & maybe the Chubs. But I'd think if KW comes in with a 3/$30 deal, the attraction of joining the world champs and a professional clubhoues might appeal to a guy like Brian.

Tragg
11-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Payroll wise we could do this and sign Konerko, if we can deal off some salary via Rowand/ElD/Marte, right? I think you worked it out in a prior post.

I think Giles with either Konerko or Delgado would give us an amazing offense.

Let the Cubs deal for Pierre and Lowell - we'll take this guy.

Flight #24
11-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Payroll wise we could do this and sign Konerko, if we can deal off some salary via Rowand/ElD/Marte, right? I think you worked it out in a prior post.

I think Giles with either Konerko or Delgado would give us an amazing offense.

Let the Cubs deal for Pierre and Lowell - we'll take this guy.

Depends on the final payroll. If it's $85M or higher, it's not that hard to fit in a Giles. The big plus is that while he's not a pure power bat like Thome/Delgado, he's an excellent all-around hitter. And he gives you a lot more options if/when Frank comes back to really bolster the lineup significantly albiet at the expense of probably Rowand's D (Giles plays OF for Rowand, Frank DHs).

Tragg
11-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Depends on the final payroll. If it's $85M or higher, it's not that hard to fit in a Giles. The big plus is that while he's not a pure power bat like Thome/Delgado, he's an excellent all-around hitter. And he gives you a lot more options if/when Frank comes back to really bolster the lineup significantly albiet at the expense of probably Rowand's D (Giles plays OF for Rowand, Frank DHs).

I really like him IF we also have a power hitter; in lieu of, I worry.
In that situation, I'd be inclined to deal Rowand for depth, young players, etc. and give Frank/Paul/Giles/Dye rest once a week and use Anderson several times a week in center. I really think Ozzie's frequent use of his second string this summer kept us fresh for the post-season.

Flight #24
11-19-2005, 10:33 AM
I really like him IF we also have a power hitter; in lieu of, I worry.
In that situation, I'd be inclined to deal Rowand for depth, young players, etc. and give Frank/Paul/Giles/Dye rest once a week and use Anderson several times a week in center. I really think Ozzie's frequent use of his second string this summer kept us fresh for the post-season.

Konerko+Frank+Dye are your power guys. Giles power will improve signficantly moving from the Dog Bowl to the Cell. And the avg/OBP will be best on the team,

Tragg
11-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Konerko+Frank+Dye are your power guys.
That scenario's great; I meant in lieu of Konerko, I'm not as sold.

DSpivack
11-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Who would play CF in that scenario? The only one capable is Podsednik.

buehrle4cy05
11-19-2005, 03:11 PM

Good point...has Giles ever played left? I can't see JD out there.

Flight #24
11-19-2005, 04:05 PM

I know Giles has played CF, no idea how well. That would be the 1 downside to that lineup: plugging in Pods/Giles in CF. But the bats.....oh those bats...

SOX ADDICT '73
11-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Podsednik played center in Milwaukee - remember the big CF debate over Rowand vs. Pods last spring, and Ozzie's "I make the lineups" quote? I would personally prefer a stronger arm in that position, but it's not as if it would be foreign to Scott.